3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties. Please Chime In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Extended Warranties. Please Chime In!!!

Did you get an extended warranty? Yes or no, and why?

How much did you pay?

Which provider did you choose?

Do you have advice for the rest of us?

Please share your valuable input/perspective on this, I'm still thinking about adding it to my car, and it can be added within the first 12,000 miles. My dealer is telling me $1270 for the full blown 100,000 mile seven year warranty, and if I don't use it and decide to sell the car, or decide I don't want it later, it is refundable (less a processing fee) as long as I don't go beyond the manuf. warranty period before cancelling.

Thanks for your thoughts, and please don't forget to share them!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend it even if you aren't keeping the car for the full period. Way too many electronic things to go wrong.

Mine was a bit under $1,200 Canadian for 6 year 100km warranty with $25 deductible.

I got it throught the dealer where I bought the car and he guaranteed everything was covered with the obvious exception of filters, brake pads etc.

The car will be easier to sell if it has a factory warranty which is reason enough. If you were buying a used car and saw two identical ones for sale, one wih a factory warranty and one without, which would you buy?

I have had an extended warranty on every car I have ever owned and something that cost more than the warranty has always happened.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:58 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought one because of all the gadgets in the car, and the fact it's a first year production car ...
Old 11-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With my check engine light problems I b*tched at Honda and they offered me a free 6yr/75k warranty, zero deductible. When I went in to sign it I paid $200 extra to bump it to 7/100.. so not bad at all. I still don't have a warm and fuzzy on this car tho, but oh well, what can I do.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:00 AM
Banned

If you ever buy an extended warranty buy it at the end of the regular warranty period, that way you will have a good idea if it will be necessary or not.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vtechbrain
If you ever buy an extended warranty buy it at the end of the regular warranty period, that way you will have a good idea if it will be necessary or not.
How would you know that? I had a Chrysler years ago with a digital dashboard. One month after the warranty expired it went dead and had to be replaced for over 2k. No problems up to that point.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Pro

They told me it would be cheaper to buy when I bought the car, so I got the one to 100K... they said I can extend to 125 and 150K later on....

I had one on my old car from my insurance company with a 250 deductible.. it actually came in VERY handy.

BEWARE of small shyster outfits that offer extended insurance. My father used one of those, where you pay a monthly fee, and they went bankrupt.

Mike
Old 11-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

and don't go Western National.. christ they suck. Get Acura's own if you can do it.. specially if it's only 100 or 200 diff from a 3rd party. That way it's always Honda parts in their shops.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Those of you who got the warrranty, please tell me whether you got the acura warranty or not, and what did you pay.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Instructor

If you are leasing the car for four years, don't bother with the warrantee. I leased my 00TL for four years and the SRS sensor was fixed by the dealer under warrantee. If you are buying to keep for longer, it is worth it to have for as long as you can get it ie, 72months, 150,000KM, etc. Cost in Canada is about $1200 or so. Better to buy it at the beginning because it is cheaper. Also it doesn't affect resell if you trade-in your car as the dealer WILL NOT tell the new owner about the extended warrantee, plus there is a transfer fee, which the new owner may or may not pay depending on how much coverage is left. My $0.02.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:08 AM
Racer

Anyone familiar with WarrantyGold?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Advanced

I heard that warrentygold has gone backrupt and is no longer honoring claims from there customers from a specific date and earlier. I would stay way from them if I were you.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Racer

Originally posted by gary
I heard that warrentygold has gone backrupt and is no longer honoring claims from there customers from a specific date and earlier. I would stay way from them if I were you.
Where did you hear this? Their website is still up and running and still cranking out quotes. Geez folks, if you state something like this, please back it up...................it's not that I (or we) don't believe you but it would be great to know on what basis you make these statements.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:24 AM
BOOK EM

I`m leasing and should be covered under existing warranty
Old 11-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Pro

Originally posted by HacksawHilliard
Where did you hear this? Their website is still up and running and still cranking out quotes. Geez folks, if you state something like this, please back it up...................it's not that I (or we) don't believe you but it would be great to know on what basis you make these statements.
Maybe they did not go bankrupt as someone said they did.. but still.. really I feel the best bet is the dealer, or through your insurance company (if it is large) like Geico...
You know they aren't going away.

Also, with dealer warranty, you can take it in to the dealer without a problem.

Many third parties will not take the mechanics word on the repairs and want to send an auditor/inspector over to make their own assesment. They also try and talk the garage down in price (or dealer) to make them skimp. I have seen all this when I had Gieco even. I had to beg a few times for them to allow the repair without waiting another day for their auditor to make sure everything was true and valid.

Just my thoughts,

Mike
Old 11-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Warranty Gold, itself did not go backrupt, but National Warranty Insurance, Warranty Gold's administrator (meaning the group that actually pays for warranty repairs) did go bankrupt. It states it in their own website (u would have to scroll to bottom of the website to see)

If you bought warranty from them prior to June 6, 2003, u r screwed. I wouldn't go near Warranty Gold (even though they have an agreement with a new administrator).
Old 11-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Pro

I heard Warranty Gold has a few good deals!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally posted by fsconsult
Warranty Gold, itself did not go backrupt, but National Warranty Insurance, Warranty Gold's administrator (meaning the group that actually pays for warranty repairs) did go bankrupt. It states it in their own website (u would have to scroll to bottom of the website to see)

If you bought warranty from them prior to June 6, 2003, u r screwed. I wouldn't go near Warranty Gold (even though they have an agreement with a new administrator).
Thank you for the info.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Buy a Toyota/Lexus so you don't need insurance against poor quality control like Acura!
Old 11-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Racer

Originally posted by kgoessling
Buy a Toyota/Lexus so you don't need insurance against poor quality control like Acura!
Spoken like someone who really knows. :yack:
Old 11-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

The problem with that is the price for the extended warranty is for the 03 TL since they dont have the current pricing for the 04's yet. With all the electronics in this car the price is almost certain to be more. I got the extended warranty 7/100,000 for $1,600.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Instructor

You can buy the official Acura Care 7/100000 plan for $1120 from:

http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura-care-quote.asp

My dealer wanted $1500 for it.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Hey.. re the ACURA CARE warrenty..i saw this snippet:

V. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
(A) Parts other than genuine ACURA parts; wiper blades; battery and cables; belts and hoses WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TIMING BELT; Timing Belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system (includes catalytic converter); brake system wear items such as brakes, drums/rotors, shoes/pads, and lining; clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing, and external shift linkages WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE SHIFT CABLE; glass and body parts; body structure and other panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint; bumpers; moldings; lenses; bulbs and sealed beams; fuses; weather-strips; outside ornamentation; wheel covers/ornaments, rims, studs; fastening and securing hardware; body seals; squeaks and rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; rearview mirror; trim; upholstery; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than GENUINE ACURA ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES; navigational devices; tires; seat belts; airbag(s), and related parts, EXCEPT FOR THE SRS CONTROL UNIT (if at any time you believe there is a defect with these parts, please contact an ACURA DEALER immediately).

is it true that the coverage does *not* include the nav system? given the nav is the hear of the car (audio/climate control/ voice activation/etc) - this seems very bad
Old 11-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by kgoessling
Check out Consumer Reports. Acura is THE most problem free manufacturer- 4% points ahead of Toyota and Lexus.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:00 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The AcuraCare warranty does cover the nav system. The brochure saya so, and I have this warranty. I wouldn't spend $$ on an extended warranty for a lease; the idea is to lease for no longer than the warranty period.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by HacksawHilliard
I can verify this first-hand. I bought an extended warranty through Warranty Gold and they've filed Chapter 11. The letter I received basically told me my warranty is no longer valid. Supposedly, those warranties purchased after 06/06/03 are covered with a different underwriter, but I would still stay away from them. I'm out about $1100.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by gregory28
Check out Consumer Reports. Acura is THE most problem free manufacturer- 4% points ahead of Toyota and Lexus.
I speak from personal experience, thats most important to me! My Acura, from a quality view, is among the worst vehicles I have ever owned. My 66 Ramchero has fewer rattles and I don't worry about the transmission failing when I get more than 30 miles from home. Unfortunately I believed Consumer Report, my mistake!
Old 11-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Acura's quality...

I'm gunna have to agree. the downhill slope from my first import Honda, to my 98 accord to my 00 TL to this TL, is a nasty slope. The rattles, the quality, the stupid s**t. Absolutely deplorable from Honda.

I read the car magazines regularly and their reviews of Toyota products always include "and in the 40,000 mile test, not one rattle or squeek or any panel needing repaired or adjusted". Haven't found that in a Honda review lately.

Now dont get me wrong. I'm a true Honda fan, I love their engineering and they certainly try to bring us fun and technology. But whats the fun when you try to brag and the thing rattles, and error lights blink at you and things stick and dont work right.

Anyway.. I have the AcuraCare warranty compliments of my *****ing at Acura about my car. Zero deductible and it only cost me $220.. to bump it from what they offered to what I finalized it at. Hope it comes in handy, i'm sure it will with the luck I've had on this POS from the get-go.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Sherlock
Acura's quality...

I'm gunna have to agree. the downhill slope from my first import Honda, to my 98 accord to my 00 TL to this TL, is a nasty slope. The rattles, the quality, the stupid s**t. Absolutely deplorable from Honda.
lately.

Anyway.. I have the AcuraCare warranty compliments of my *****ing at Acura about my car. Zero deductible and it only cost me $220.. to bump it from what they offered to what I finalized it at. Hope it comes in handy, i'm sure it will with the luck I've had on this POS from the get-go.
I can't believe you are having such bad luck. I still can't find a problem and I've been trying every day. No rattles, no pulling, no strange noises, finish and fit are spectacular, dealer was great, nothing. They really should do something for you as I don't think you unit was built properly.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I have owned seven Acuras so far. With the exception of ABS sensor on my 91 Legend and the replaced tranny on my 02 Type S, nothing major has ever gone wrong with my cars. The little things that have gone wrong have always been easily resolved by the dealer within the warranty period. Even my ABS sensor was fixed for free and my transmission was replaced with a 100,000 mile warranty. WTF more do you want from a company, other than to have them stand behind their product when there's a problem?

This is just a small sampling of people on here, and ITS THE INTERNET...TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. No car is perfect. Do these complainers that come on here and make blanket statements about the quality of these cars think Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes or Lexus owners don't experience minor problems now and then?

I'm all for coming on this website and sharing problems so that others know what to expect; thats helpful. Ignorant generalization that seem to say Acura is one of the worst cars are a waste of time.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by acuraddict
I have owned seven Acuras so far. With the exception of ABS sensor on my 91 Legend and the replaced tranny on my 02 Type S, nothing major has ever gone wrong with my cars. The little things that have gone wrong have always been easily resolved by the dealer within the warranty period. Even my ABS sensor was fixed for free and my transmission was replaced with a 100,000 mile warranty. WTF more do you want from a company, other than to have them stand behind their product when there's a problem?

This is just a small sampling of people on here, and ITS THE INTERNET...TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. No car is perfect. Do these complainers that come on here and make blanket statements about the quality of these cars think Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes or Lexus owners don't experience minor problems now and then?

I'm all for coming on this website and sharing problems so that others know what to expect; thats helpful. Ignorant generalization that seem to say Acura is one of the worst cars are a waste of time.