Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are EL-42's really that BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had my car for about 3 weeks with about 500 miles on it. So far, my tires seem very quiet and smooth handling and I have yet to encounter any problems that have been posted by others thus far. I haven't really "pushed" the car much yet so I can't be sure what the limits of the tires really are but overall, I can't say that the EL-42's (at least for me) are much worse than the some of the stock all-seasons that came with my previous cars like the FX45, X5, RX300, Maximas, and even a 540i. I'm not sure if some owners had a bad bunch of EL-42's but so far, my experience has been satisfactory. (Probably next summer, once I had a good run with these tires, I'll upgrade---but for the time being, I'm not going to let some good rubber go to waste)
Old 04-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Yes
Old 04-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?p=741449
Old 04-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
The newer tires appear to be less troublesome than the early production ones. I have them on my car and while they wouldn't be my first choice, I haven't had the same problems many others are experiencing. Because I'm leasing I plan to get every inch of wear I can out of them before I replace them, but that's a purely personal decision.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:20 AM
s54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are that bad

You must have the redesgned version, because you would have felt the vibration immediately. I bought my car seven weeks ago and despite Acura's promises to replace them, have yet to have it done.

This whole situation has left me with a very sour taste in my mouth WRT Acura's so-called customer service.

S
Old 04-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Nope, they're much worse than bad... old version or new version, they suck plain and simple. Ok, the new version sucks a little less than the old version but still suck because they still flat spot.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by s54
You must have the redesgned version, because you would have felt the vibration immediately. I bought my car seven weeks ago and despite Acura's promises to replace them, have yet to have it done.

This whole situation has left me with a very sour taste in my mouth WRT Acura's so-called customer service.

S
Acura and customer service? Oxymoron I think, they should ot appear in the same sentence or even comment. Acura called me yesterday to tell me I have the ne EL42s already and I laughed, since I ditched them already they say I should have been happy with them, based on the fact that she talked to 3 people that were happy. Like I have said before, I don't mind probelms with acar, it is how the dealer and MFG deal with it, and Acura does not care, I have talked to several people at ACS and a manager and bascially I should be happy with the new tires is their position. So this will be my last Honda product. I would sit in the cold and dark if they were the last generator in the store or let my grass gorw to tree size if they were the last lawn mower, before I give them any more of my money!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
I got my car 3/17 and have no problem with the Turanzas. Often I don't use the car for a few days, and even though it sits in a cold garage I have no flatspotting and no vibrations. When I need new tires I'll upgrade, but for now I have no complaints.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My VIN is 2800. I just put the tires back on after using winter tires. They work just fine.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro

I've got one of the early build cars and never had any of the tire problems the others had.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Picked my TL up end of March and the first drive home I felt the vibration. It is at dealer today getting the upgraded tires put on - I will let you know if they are any better. (as far as vibration - still going to be a crappy tire, but not as crappy as what is on now) The TSX loaner they gave me has Michelins - no vibration - what a waste of a better tire...
Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Racer

I've never encountered the flat spotting or vibration, but I've ridden on tires that behave that way in the past. Believe me, that gets old in a big hurry. The EL42s offer a pretty quiet ride, but I don't think much of the cornering or braking grip they provide, wet, snow or dry. Theere are *much* more suitable tires out there that Acura could have selected for the TL.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Anybody using Falken's on their Acura? I had them on a previous car and I really liked them - any Acura experience out there?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
Anybody using Falken's on their Acura? I had them on a previous car and I really liked them - any Acura experience out there?
A search on Falken would give you several threads, among them this one http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76108

Seems like they are a good tire, number 1 in Consumer Reports. Considering them myself if I can't get my EL-42's to ride any better.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Just spoke to dealer - they fixed the memory seat - no questions asked. They are ordering the replacement tires - take like couple weeks to arrive. Could not get them to order Michies or Falkens - gotta take the "new and improved" Bridgestones...more to come in two weeks...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Instructor

When the 2002 TL Type S came out I remember tons of people complaining how the Michelin tires sucked. Now It seems just as many people think Acura should have used Michelins on the new TL. All I know is my new TL handles much better than my old Type S. Am I supposed to believe Michelins are better tires? Maybe the new TL's suspension negates the negative affect from the inferior tires?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Advanced

While I only drove on the Old OEMs for a week - i found them acceptable on absolutely dry pavement. Where I believe they really fail is in the snow and rain - it turns the TL into a badass killing machine in the NE. Traction control in moderately light snow would kick in every other second - I doubt the new iteration of those bridgestones would fair any better in the snow/rain.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Am I supposed to believe Michelins are better tires?
Good question, I'm driving a loaner TSX right now that has the Pilot's on it and they ride fantastic and grip is excellent, the EL's handle fine as well and are quiet, but the Michelin's are better simply because nobody has flat spotting on them. IMHO of course.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I am quite confident the new iteration is going to suck too! If the vibration is gone, then we ride 'em till it is time to send them buh-bye

Originally Posted by dafunda
While I only drove on the Old OEMs for a week - i found them acceptable on absolutely dry pavement. Where I believe they really fail is in the snow and rain - it turns the TL into a badass killing machine in the NE. Traction control in moderately light snow would kick in every other second - I doubt the new iteration of those bridgestones would fair any better in the snow/rain.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Yes they are really that bad. The first 5-8 minutes of driving the car is very annoying. I am to cheap to buy another set of tires. I have just decided to beat on these tires until it is time to buy a new set.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Instructor

The tire's are fine. I've had it for 3500 miles, no problem. The tires probably don't hold up well in cold weather conditions. Good thing I live in So cal.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 42's are pretty good for the ride - smooth and quiet.

I think they are just average for handling - could do much better.

I think the flat-spotting and vibration problems are not universal. My TL was built in March and I have neither.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Yes!!!...they're That Bad!!!

Just came from John Ealge an hour ago where they replaced all the EL-42's w/ Yokahoma AVS-ES100's...I knew the second i drove off that the problem had been solved...The car has a MUCH tighter feel in additon to not feeling like a blender @ 55mph+!!!!

I agreed to buy the road hazard warranty for $17.00 per tire since they were so helpful in how this situation was handled!!

BM
Old 04-07-2004, 02:53 PM
shopguy

My car vibrates slightly at 50 to 60 miles per hour then goes away at highway cruising. When were the tires considered redesigned? Does anyone have a date. I have 1000 miles on the car and it does bother me, but if I have the new redesign tire then it wollnt help to complain. Thinking of shelving these tires until I get rid of the car, and put a better tire on for my enjoyment.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:55 PM
shopguy

Oh I bought the $300.00 tire warranty option. Maybe that will allow me to get the tires replaced under warranty. Guess I should ask the dealer
Old 04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bodyshopguy
My car vibrates slightly at 50 to 60 miles per hour then goes away at highway cruising. When were the tires considered redesigned? Does anyone have a date. I have 1000 miles on the car and it does bother me, but if I have the new redesign tire then it wollnt help to complain. Thinking of shelving these tires until I get rid of the car, and put a better tire on for my enjoyment.
There is a code on the side of the tire. If it is 0B6N PVC, it is the old tire, if it is OB6N TU2, it is the redesigned tire.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

How To Determine Bad El-42's

Look on the side of the tire..if the # reads 0B6N-PVC, go get em replaced....If they read 0B6N-TU2, those are the redesigned versions...but as i stated most places will work with you on getting whatever you want...may be some additional out of pocket but WELL worth it...

BM
Old 04-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Sorry for being ignorent, but what is flat spotting?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by BMINDES
Just came from John Ealge an hour ago where they replaced all the EL-42's w/ Yokahoma AVS-ES100's...I knew the second i drove off that the problem had been solved...The car has a MUCH tighter feel in additon to not feeling like a blender @ 55mph+!!!!

I agreed to buy the road hazard warranty for $17.00 per tire since they were so helpful in how this situation was handled!!

BM
I am on my third set of Avid H4's on my 95' Maxima. Because of the extreme heat of living in South Florida, I don't keep my tires more then 3 years.
My original Tires that came with the car were Bridgestone. They lasted about 8000 miles. There's a doll of a lady that works c/s AT YOKOHAMA and let me tell ya, she knows her tires. She has done me a couple of favors without hesitation.

THEY MAKE THIS TIRE FOR THE ACCURA TL 2004' ( LISTEN UP ACCURA )

Here it is: http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=48

I'll buy your car, but get the tire issue resolved. Please !
Old 04-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Thomwarn
Sorry for being ignorent, but what is flat spotting?
Where did you hear that term "flatspotting". I have never seen it used in this forum. Is it something new?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cypwood1
I am on my third set of Avid H4's on my 95' Maxima. Because of the extreme heat of living in South Florida, I don't keep my tires more then 3 years.
My original Tires that came with the car were Bridgestone. They lasted about 8000 miles. There's a doll of a lady that works c/s AT YOKOHAMA and let me tell ya, she knows her tires. She has done me a couple of favors without hesitation.

THEY MAKE THIS TIRE FOR THE ACCURA TL 2004' ( LISTEN UP ACCURA )

Here it is: http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=48

I'll buy your car, but get the tire issue resolved. Please !
BTW: The Avid V4 would be the tire for the 2004 Acura TL
Old 04-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

Flat Spotting

In a nutshell, flat spotting is where the tire sits too long in one spot etc..and thereby causes a "flat spot" on the tire...this usually works itself out after the tire has a chance to heat up after driving a few miles..
Old 04-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

So which is best:
-Let dealer order me the improved EL's?
-Push for Michelins - pilot sport A/A?
-Push for Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S?
- Push for Yokohama?
- Falkens?

Help! :banghead:

Look on the side of the tire..if the # reads 0B6N-PVC, go get em replaced....If they read 0B6N-TU2, those are the redesigned versions...but as i stated most places will work with you on getting whatever you want...may be some additional out of pocket but WELL worth it...

BM
Old 04-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TBone2004
So which is best:
-Let dealer order me the improved EL's?
-Push for Michelins - pilot sport A/A?
-Push for Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S?
- Push for Yokohama?
- Falkens?

Help! :banghead:
If you can get any of the other tires from your dealer, don't order the "improved" EL's.

Acura won't do this, so it is strictly up to the dealer. All are good choices. The Falkens are very good and also the cheapest, the others go up in price dramatically. See what you can get out of your dealer, even if you have to pay the difference.

If he won't budge, then you have no choice but to get the EL's.

Are you having the flatspotting problem? If not, don't do anything, but if you are, do your best from the choices above.

But you already said your dealer is making you takes the EL's, so why the question?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Racer

I think my tires are ok, except that they hydroplane A LOT. This may be a stupid question, and yall are free to laugh at me, but what is flatspotting? Maybe mine do it? Im not sure? Is it when the bottom of the tires which touches the ground is like a flat line?
Old 04-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
I think my tires are ok, except that they hydroplane A LOT. This may be a stupid question, and yall are free to laugh at me, but what is flatspotting? Maybe mine do it? Im not sure? Is it when the bottom of the tires which touches the ground is like a flat line?
In a nutshell, flat spotting is where the tire sits too long in one spot etc..and thereby causes a "flat spot" on the tire...this usually works itself out after the tire has a chance to heat up after driving a few miles..
You can't see it, but the tire develops a flat spot where it has been resting on the ground. When you drive off and reach a certain speed, say over 50mph, it will vibrate and shake, and usually go away in 4-5 miles as the tire warms up. If you have it, you will know it.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, I guess I am pondering if I should do anything at all and just have him cancel the order. But if I can negotiate - or offer to pay difference then I was curious what people might do if it was them. I have minor vibration, and personally as long as there is no risk to me or my family while driving and I am not damaging my car with these tires (vibration etc) then is it worth it to have them "test drive" another set of EL's or just ride the existing ones and buy my own in a year or so. Do you know if the Falkens are a good match / look and feel on Acura's?

Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Ron A
If you can get any of the other tires from your dealer, don't order the "improved" EL's.

Acura won't do this, so it is strictly up to the dealer. All are good choices. The Falkens are very good and also the cheapest, the others go up in price dramatically. See what you can get out of your dealer, even if you have to pay the difference.

If he won't budge, then you have no choice but to get the EL's.

Are you having the flatspotting problem? If not, don't do anything, but if you are, do your best from the choices above.

But you already said your dealer is making you takes the EL's, so why the question?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Administrator

tbone2004-it's worth a try. They are usually not worse than what you have, and so can only be equal or better, hopefully better. Mine were the same but I am taking it in tomorrow for Hunter Force balance, hope it helps.

I thought you were locked in, but it always helps to have more options.

Lots of good words here in the forum about the Falken Ziex, but I would wait and see what the new tires feel like. More people who got the new ones said they were better, I think, than say they are same, so what have you got to lose.

It is getting warmer here in Florida and that may help the flatspotting, so if it doesn't go away I might just wait until it gets cooler and then make a decision.

That is the hardest part about this whole tire flatspotting situation-making a decision, and getting madder and madder because we shouldn't have to be making decisions like this.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Bingo Ron. I am dreading getting sucked into the whole - try the new EL's...then they flat spot...Dealer says try these new, new EL's...hmmm they flat spotted too? hmmm we'll get back to you...went through that years ago with a 94 T-Bird and brakes, tranny - you name it. Except this time I am paying Double the price for the car - so it should not be an issue. Crap...this sucks..then I read how people say their rims are getting wrecked by the dealer when they change tires.....

crap...crap
Old 04-07-2004, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PetesTL
I had my car for about 3 weeks with about 500 miles on it. So far, my tires seem very quiet and smooth handling and I have yet to encounter any problems that have been posted by others thus far. I haven't really "pushed" the car much yet so I can't be sure what the limits of the tires really are but overall, I can't say that the EL-42's (at least for me) are much worse than the some of the stock all-seasons that came with my previous cars like the FX45, X5, RX300, Maximas, and even a 540i. I'm not sure if some owners had a bad bunch of EL-42's but so far, my experience has been satisfactory. (Probably next summer, once I had a good run with these tires, I'll upgrade---but for the time being, I'm not going to let some good rubber go to waste)
Not the greatest tire but not the absolute worst. i picked up my car on 3/18 with vin 32xxx, haven't had a single vibration issue. the demo car that i test drove DEFINITELY had the vibration, i'd be very upset if any NEW car had this issue.

i'll keep these until i have to replace them with michelin pilot sports.

Quick Reply: Are EL-42's really that BAD?