Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD A's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD A's

Where is the best place to get DVD A's? I have been to Best Buy and they didn't have very many. The sound on the one that came with the car is incredible...If you haven't tired it don't you will never like anything else..lol
Thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to circuitcity.com as they have a pretty decent selection at very fair prices and free shipping no matter how many or few you buy. Plus you can sample certain albums online to help you decide. Good luck. Do a search of the forum. People have listed many sites here not too long ago.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro

Here's a few places:

http://www.buydvdnow.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
http://www.dtsentertainment.com/music-featured.php
http://www.digitaleyes.net/dvdaudio.cfm
http://www.dvdempire.com/index.asp?o...301321&redir=1
http://www.cduniverse.com/browsecat....cart=187782910
Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gary1981
The sound on the one that came with the car is incredible...If you haven't tired it don't you will never like anything else..lol
Thanks
True. No commercially-available DVD-A has the same sound quality as that demo disk. Misleading, to say the least. It's a doomed format, I'm afraid.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Intermediate

I have purchased the Doobie Brothers and America DVD-As that the cuts from the demo disk came from. They sound the same. Check reviews of DVD-As before buying. Other than that, its a killer sound system. I haven't listened to much XM, just buying DVD-As. The TL might save DVD-A from being "Doomed".
Old 05-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by claud
The TL might save DVD-A from being "Doomed".
That, along with other cars having DVD-A will hopefully save it.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

I've purchased a couple (Donald Fagen, Steely Dan) from buydvdnow and they sound great. The Flaming Lips DVD-A also sounds great if you're a Lips fan.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Racer

Why is there no good dvd-a's. Where the real hip hop?? Will these come out later on? Where is Jay-z??
Old 05-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

DVD-A not as good as the demo disc? I beg to differ.

The thing you have to understand is that the technology isnt the problem, it's the people producing the album that make it sound crappy. It also involves the quality of the original production. Things that were made using multi-channel in mind are the best, but few and far between.

I myself am a Home Theater freak so I can answer most questions people may have about the audio abilities in the TL. Hell, it was one of the main reasons for buying the car....

Try the new Blues Traveler album for some kick ass DVD-A, but nothing beats DTS. For that, Sting's stuff (ten summoners tales, brand new day, etc.) is awesome.

Problem with the technology is that it is still too elite for many people to jump on it and this makes options VERY limited.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Yo Draven,
Differ yo ass off. What is specifically different between the same cuts from the actual DVD-A and the demo. I too am a card carrying Home Theater Talk and Audio Asylum member. I have seperate systems. You on the other hand might have the advantage of young ears unless they are concert damaged.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by DopeTL04
Why is there no good dvd-a's. Where the real hip hop??
What do these questions have to do with each other?

:devil:

j/k.

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for all the suggetions...
Old 05-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

I just bought 4 from DVD Empire. They shipped quickly and have a good selection. Bought Peter Frampton, Deep purple, Carl Perkins and a KICK ASS CD, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin from the fences. Lots of bass rythums to work the woofer!! I don't even have the TL yet. I get it on Saturday but wanted to be prepared.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Claud-
Your post confused me... Was there a question in there?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:49 PM
6th Gear

A Must-Have DVD-A

I purchased Linkin Park's Reanimation DVD-A and it's awesome. Even if you're not into their music, this DVD-A will COMPLETELY utilize the 5.1 channel system and make you appreciate DVD-A. Unfortunately, other DVD-As don't deliver the same quality. Hopefully we'll find some more in the near future.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Draven,
The question was "what was it that you heard comparing the Demo disk and the original DVD-A (same cut) that made you think the Demo cut sounded better than the same cut from the DVD-A album". Was it better smoother high freqs, tighter bass, etc.? I couldn't tell the difference cut for cut. My dealer gave me the Demo disk, did yours? Some dealers did not include it with car purchase.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Be aware of differences in DVD-A Format

I read alot of discussions regarding quality of DVD-A format that you buy and how some of them don't sound as good as the demo disk you got with your TL. This is TRUE! But not always true. Here's why. There are two different formats for DVD audio. There is DVD Enhanced audio, which has 256 times the resolution of normal CD quality sound but only has two channels just like a CD. The other format is DVD Audio 5.1 Surround Sound. This format has 256 times the resolution of normal CD sound BUT has 6-channel surround. Be Aware that Acura and ELS designed the system to play both DVD formats. If you want the same great sound as you get on the demo disk, buy 5.1 -- but you still get better sound out of DVD-A than from a CD. When you are buying them in the store or online, the 2-channel DVD is marked DVD-A and the 6-channel is marked DVD 5.1
Old 05-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Racer

I bought 3 doors down DVDA from DVDempire.com and then I compared the song "When I'm Gone" from both DVDA. Immediately I realized that on the demo DVDA actually encode the song in 5.1 channel but on the 3doorsdown DVDA, it was only steoro. Then I can check back label and found out specs on that DVD release. It was only encode in 192 bit 24 khz steoro instead of 5.1 channel!

I am mad because many DVDA title out there just a remake of their CD album. Theother two DVDA title are Foo fighters and Sting's Brand New Day. I have to say all sting's dvda release are really 5.1 channel encoded and for foo fighters only some of the feature song it was encoded in 5.1
Old 05-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've got the 3DD DVD-A, and it's all 96 kHz x 24 bit 6 ch surround on Group 1 of the DVD-A (confirmed by my computer DVD-Audio playing software). And the back label states Advanced Resolution Surround in addition to Advanced Resolution stereo.

Same with FF, except it's 88kHz x 24 bit 6 ch surround.

Mike
Old 05-08-2004, 03:56 PM
BOOK EM

Seal IV sounds great!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Claud-

I figured it out. You thought i was saying there was a difference. I was saying there IS NO difference. I was replying to Animate's comment- "True. No commercially-available DVD-A has the same sound quality as that demo disk. Misleading, to say the least. It's a doomed format, I'm afraid."
Old 05-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Racer

I just bought my first DVD-A, outkast album....Seems to me that there is not much difference with DVD-A and regular CD :bigun2: WTF!!!! Has anyone else noticed this?? Is it dependent upon which actual DVD-A you buy??
Old 05-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Team Anthracite Peon

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
I just bought my first DVD-A, outkast album....Seems to me that there is not much difference with DVD-A and regular CD :bigun2: WTF!!!! Has anyone else noticed this?? Is it dependent upon which actual DVD-A you buy??
As someone said above, there is a huge difference from disc to disc. Depends on who engineered it and how much time they spent. Some discs are incredible sounding, some sound no better than the CD version of the music. I agree with phreshTLs comments - Linkin Park's Reanimation is an excellent example of how to do DVD-A right. I bought it reluctantly (had the CD version and listened to it once) but it hasn't left my TL (Disc #1) in over a month!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xerxes480
As someone said above, there is a huge difference from disc to disc. Depends on who engineered it and how much time they spent. Some discs are incredible sounding, some sound no better than the CD version of the music.
True that!! Nothing beats personal reviews here on this forum, but here's a link to all available DVD-A's and ones that are pending release:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...dvda_title.asp

Really does make a difference in who and how the original tapes are re-mixed. Some producers know what they're doing and some don't.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Draven
DVD-A not as good as the demo disc? I beg to differ.

The thing you have to understand is that the technology isnt the problem, it's the people producing the album that make it sound crappy. It also involves the quality of the original production. Things that were made using multi-channel in mind are the best, but few and far between.

I myself am a Home Theater freak so I can answer most questions people may have about the audio abilities in the TL. Hell, it was one of the main reasons for buying the car....

Try the new Blues Traveler album for some kick ass DVD-A, but nothing beats DTS. For that, Sting's stuff (ten summoners tales, brand new day, etc.) is awesome.

Problem with the technology is that it is still too elite for many people to jump on it and this makes options VERY limited.
Agree..............picked up Sting's latest. Sounds excellent in DVD-A format.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 PM
tjm
2nd Gear

The Eagles' Hotel California isn an incredible DVD-A disc. No DVD-A collection would be complete without it.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

As long as we are talking recommendations, avoid the SANTANA DVD-As. they arent enough of an improvement over the cd to justify the price if you already have the cd. I mean crap. crap crap crap. the engineers foned that one in folks..........
Old 05-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Club Abyss Member

i'm still waiting for Rammstein to be available on DVD-A....... :chainsaw:
Old 05-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

TJM, big eagles fan here (as well as a musician) and while I agree, if people can only get one, they should get the Hell Freezes Over disc on DTS.

NOTHING BEATS DTS BABY!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
TJM, big eagles fan here (as well as a musician) and while I agree, if people can only get one, they should get the Hell Freezes Over disc on DTS.

NOTHING BEATS DTS BABY!!!
You are definitely right on this one. It's a gem. I have it on DVD-video and and got it shortly after I got my dts HT amp and still use it to demo my home system. The sound is second to none and imaging has to be heard to be believed. It's too bad the video version won't play in the TL. Now I will have to buy the dts DVD-A version again but I think it's worth it...unless someone knows of a way to get the video version with dts tracks to play in the car. I'm up for any ideas.

dsc888
Old 05-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Racer

Is DTS different than DVD-A??
Old 05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Dope, now you are entering MY world....

yes. considerably different. DTS is the most superior sound quality in the world (im sure someone would find a way to argue that...)

If there are artists out there that you like that have a DTS disk out, for your sake buy it. Especially now that you have a system that can play it. The best DTS disk i have heard to date is Sting's "Ten Summoner's Tales". Buy it. Dont even think about it, just buy it. Unless of course you dont like sting, but if thats the case you have bigger issues than dts vs dvd-a

The "Hell Freezes Over" disc has Seven Bridges Road in DTS. One of the most phenominal recordings of any song ever. Best way to describe it- 5 Eagles, 5 speakers. End of story.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:40 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Let's get this straight, my Acura friends.

A DTS 5.1 music disc, be it on a CD or DVD, is NOT a DVD-Audio disc. While the TL will play it and properly decode it, it is a 5.1 music disc of COMPRESSED sound, with a maximum resolution of 16bits at 48 KHz. This "format" of music predates both DVD-A and SACD. In 1999, DTS Entertainment obtained the rights to some old Quadraphonic master tapes from the 1970's, and also was able to produce some new material, including Boyz to Men and the return of the Eagles in "Hell Freezes Over", which was also released as a DTS Laserdisc.

When DVD-A came on the scene, DTS Entertainment became a player in the DVD-A field, and repackaged many of the former 5.1 Music CDs in "Super Jewelboxes" like a DVD-A. They also began producing REAL DVD-A's and actually redid some of the DTS titles in the DVD-A format. (You might see both in the same bin at Media Play)

Do not get me wrong, DTS is a very good surround format. Most folks prefer a DTS soundtrack on a DVD (Video) over the Dolby Digital when available. However, the DTS Music Disc IS NOT high resolution.

The DVD-A spec allows for the following:
Multichannel 5.1 as 16/44.1, 16/48, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24 88.2*, 24/96*
Those with an asterisk require MLP encoding
Stereo 2.0 can go up to 24/192.

THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM ON A DVD-A DISC TO HAVE 5.1 at 24/192!!!

BTW - There are over 400 surround titles available on DTS disc from a guy named "QuadRadial". You guys should check him out if you want DTS CDs in surround.
http://hometown.aol.com/matrixquad/list.htm

At any rate, whatever you like and sounds great is best for you. I just thought I'd try and clear a few things up.

Jon Urban
www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums