3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove A-spec TL (auto) TL today, review inside...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Drove A-spec TL (auto) TL today, review inside...

So I finally got around to driving this A-spec TL at my dealership. It's got the suspension kit as well, so it was very nice to get out of my cosmetic A-spec TL and jump right into this one and try out the different suspension.

First, here are things I DISLIKE about my stock suspension (recall that I also have the 18" A-spec wheels):
1) too boaty/buick-y over dips in the highway
2) does not inspire confidence in curved portions of the highway
3) too much body lean into turns .. not even super aggressive turns either..
4) kinda neutral feeling to the steering on the highway, not very accurate, not responsive

So I drove this dealer car around the block, but i got an opportunity to take it over bumps, uneven pavement, and over a railway crossing. Compared to the stock TL-S suspension, this is a tighter, but not as tight as the Comptech spring setup I had on my TL-S. This is definitely softer than the Comptech drop. First, taking off .. very much reduced squat and noticeably reduced nose dive w/ braking. I took a turn at a speed that I would get significant body lean in my car... this car was very composed, and very flat around that turn. I literally laughed out loud after taking that turn b/c it produced exactly the response i desired. Over the railroad tracks, the car was very composed, and didn't break my back -- it felt smooth. Road noise was up just a tad .. meaning that I could hear bumps a little louder, but the positives significantly outweighed this.

I didn't get a chance to take it out on the highway, but I imagine that it can only shine on the highway as well. The steering was more accurate and responsive. From the exterior, I could barely tell it was dropped ... that being said, I liked how the subtle drop made this car look significantly more aggressive. I am very impressed, and i plan on purchasing this suspension kit and installing it on my car soon.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Peter for that review. I also dislike the nose diving while braking, and the rebound in the suspension. I'm also considering going to my dealer and testing out an A-Spec to see how I like it.

I don't care about how much lower my car looks, its not a priority to me. However, I do care about the stiffer shocks that the A-Spec offers. The debate in my head still continues (A-Spec vs. Tein coilovers...)...
Old 06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

I forum member mentioned that he'd let me ride his TL after he got his Comptech Springs installed -- I'll post a full review (as I'm sure he will too) of that ride once it happens later next month.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PeterUber
Thanks for the review. I would like to put the A-Spec suspension on my 6MT, if I can get it as a "stand alone"kit. I too am unhappy with the boaty/"Buicky" suspension. Your comments encourage me to upgrade.
thanks
Lakeman
Old 06-29-2004, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

sunnyvale Acura sells the 6MT stand alone kit for $700 + shipping, and a few other dealerships do as well... i'm in the process of locating an 5AT kit right now
Old 06-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Oh, and thanks to Neuronbob for his previous extensive review of the A-spec suspension that inspired me to look further into this product.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Nice review, PeterUbers. I totally agree with your dislikes of the stock suspension. The term "Buicky" pretty much sums it up, though of course Buicks are actually FAR worse in their ride qualities. The freeway ride is smooth as glass on smooth roads, and not very rough on rougher freeway surfaces, so it's OK that you skipped that.

Hope you get it and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Neuron --

i'm just trying to locate a dealership that's willing to sell just the 5AT version of the A-spec suspension kit now... hopefully i can find one for under $800 shipped.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PeterUbers,

Excellent write up! Thanks for the info. BTW, neuronbob stated in his review that he had "improved" steering feel as did you. Did the steering effort go up? Or was it simply more precise? The funniest part is that I came from a 97 Camry which has way overboosted powersteering. The TL felt just right. But now that I am used to it, I am beginning to understand those who want even heavier steering a la BMW or G35. You got my mouth all watering now .

dsc888
Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dsc888
PeterUbers,

Excellent write up! Thanks for the info. BTW, neuronbob stated in his review that he had "improved" steering feel as did you. Did the steering effort go up? Or was it simply more precise? The funniest part is that I came from a 97 Camry which has way overboosted powersteering. The TL felt just right. But now that I am used to it, I am beginning to understand those who want even heavier steering a la BMW or G35. You got my mouth all watering now .

dsc888
Thanks Dsc...

First of all .. what i hated about the TL steering on the highway specifically was that is was WAY too light and darty .. if I hit a bump or adjusted in my seat .. the steering is so light that i would accidentally, briefly veer off course .. and that forces me to stiffen up my elbow and shoulder at times, which I never have to do w/ the Maxima and NEVER had to do in the Type S. I loved the Type S steering on the highway. On the flip side, i love how powerful the steering on the '04 is when i need to maneuver into a parking situation. Clearly, this isn't speed-sensitive power steering, i think it's more torque-sensitive, therefore when the rpms are low at 5th gear on the highway, the steering is as light as when the rpms are low when i'm parking the car in the grocery store parking lot.

The A-spec was just as easy to maneuver in the dealership lot, but more accurate .. when rolling along at 40mph, I had more road feel, and I could keep the car on course better -- it's hard to explain, but I think neuronbob put it best in his review. I really don't think the lightness of the steering is going to change on the highway since only the the suspension is changing .. but I do think that muddy, neutral, dead zone that I have now on the highway (where I can move the steering about 2 inches either way real quick and not change the course of the car's direction) will disappear, and i'll be able to negotiate lane changes w/ increased confidence, and I'll be able to use less elbow grease to keep the car from veering off course.

I was driving back on the highway in my TL today, and I recall one spot when I went thru the I-pass tollbooth where there is an elevated section of the lane ... i nearly was lifted up out of my seat, the ride is sooo bouncy! I'm sick of it.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Safety Car

btw .. it's not that i want a heavy steering wheel all the time... i just want true speed sensitive steering that really gets heavy on the highway ...
Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

PeterUbers,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I think I am sold on the A-Spec suspension at this point. This is consistent with what I encountered on my Camry where the overboosted steering remained but body motions were nicely tightened up with a firmer but acceptable ride. I definitely have to agree with you on the steering not being road speed sensitive. My only guess is that it's cheaper to make them torque sensitive than road speed sensitive. This is where the G35 does shine. However, parallel parking the G requires you eat your Wheaties before hand....which almost negates the use of a cell phone while executing this delicate manuever. Not that I encourage this kind of distractive behavior but most of us have done it on occasion and the TL makes it easier to get into a spot while "palming" the wheel.

Peter, please keep us all updated on your endeavors. Between you and neuronbob, I believe more than a few of us now have a clear vision of how we will want to spend the 1K that is burining a hole in our pockets !

dsc888
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Safety Car

As far as there being a drop w/ the A-spec springs... here's a shot of a Renaldo Red A-spec (from fast-autos.net), and after is a pic of my car w/o the A-spec drop:

It's not a significant drop.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by dsc888
I believe more than a few of us now have a clear vision of how we will want to spend the 1K that is burining a hole in our pockets
Actually, for me, much less than $1k. This thread only proves what a mistake Acura made when it didn't make the A-spec suspension kit separately available. Boooooo Acura! You are missing a HUGE aftermarket!

And the drop is 1/2 inch, barely noticeable as PeterUbers observes. I'm not one of those who needs to drop my car all the way to the ground like my pants to show off. Guess I'm a geezer at 36....
Old 06-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'm not one of those who needs to drop my car all the way to the ground like my pants to show off. Guess I'm a geezer at 36....

I'm 25 and I'm totally w/ you on this one. When I had the CT drop in my TL-S, the wheels were at the same height as the fender edge on the top .. and I thought it looked waaaay too rice .. absolutely hideous for such a beautiful luxury sedan (entry level luxury .. whatever). Same w/ this '04TL... very nice lines, a beautiful design .. to "slam" it is purely for those looking to show off their "look" more than the functionality.

I think the A-spec drop is perfect, and that will settle probably another 1/2" over time too.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Neuronbob and PeterUbers,

I guess I will 3rd your opinion. I took a walk down my street last night and was checking out the factory wheel to fender gaps and found that the TL had one of the smallest from the factory. It already looks very decent. In fact the fenders on the TL are already "rolled" inwards to prevent rubbing with the tires under extreme corning loads. In my own humble opinion, the A-spec is the best choice. I don't want to have to avoid every manhole cover or bump in the road from going too low. I know I'm exaggerating a bit but I've been behind way too many slammed Civics and Accords and honestly don't feel a 2 inch ground clearance is cool. And I am 29 BTW.

dsc888