3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving from North East NJ to Tampa FL and back, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from North East NJ to Tampa FL and back, any suggestions?

My wife and I have decided to try to save some money on our vacations this year by driving down to FL. I've done this a few times before so the drive is not a big issue. What i would like to know is if you guys have any suggestions of any thing i should do to the TL. I have a 04 AM MT with 55k, which I picked up about 5 weeks ago, the car was always serviced by the dealer. I dont always trust the workmanship of some dealers. I already found the one of the washers on the glove box was missing.
So far I've replaced the Cabin filter and Air intake filter (K&N) which both needed to be replaced. I will be sea foaming this week, I'm waiting to get to half a tank to do 16oz, 8oz sip sip and the other 8oz in the oil when I get back (yes i have two cans). Tires are in good shape, oil life is 100% and I keep my trunk clean. I will also be checking the plugs before and after I sea foam. I leave in two weeks and round trip should be about 2400 miles+ or - 100 miles. any would be great.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Cruisin'

All of the usual cations. Check the air pressure in the spare, check all of the fluid levels, oil, transmission, brake fluid, power steering, coolant, and windshield washer fluid. Check condition of belts and hoses. If you use Rain-X you might want to apply a fresh coat. Plus wax at least the front end to keep bug juice from sticking.

Check highway construction along the way, summertime is the construction season in Texas.

Jim
Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The new improved seafoam DIY is to use its spray can form- DEEP CREEP, it contains the same 16 ounces of 100% seafoam for the same price as the liquid 16 oz cans ~$7-8- it went up

Use the liquid can, 16 oz full can to 1/2 tank of gas - thats 2 oz per gallon of gas for cleaning doseage
If you bought 2 cans of liquid- use 1 now and wait to run the 2nd can in the gas in 2 tanks from now

Use Deep Creep aerosol seafoam for the vac port and the TB butterfly plate- you can shoot thru the rubber snout at top of air filter box- with engine running- and it works to get the throttle plate cleaned- use the vac port on top of the manifold for rest of cleaning.

Everyone who has tried the spray can agrees it works better- slow controlled action without the dip sip sip,- its squirt spray dribble from an inch away and watch the low pressure suction vacuum action at work! Also lubes return springs- door hinges and more.

Pull a front- easy to reach-- spark plug, and get pics of before- then give it a proper burnoff drive after foam as described in the DIY- maybe a day or 2 driving to let things happen -
then with cold engine pull that plug again for comparison
It wont eat plugs with 60-70k miles on them- thats just a reasonable lifespan to expect max performance from them- so many of us go ahead and replace the plugs then

If you are doing an old chevy with many miles- and 100k miles on the plugs- AND you dont do a burnoff drive after- then you could load/foul a plug with gooey oily crud- as if the valve guide seals leaked and cause the engine to blow smoke and run bad

but thats NOT going to happen on the TL when directions are followed

Run the tires a few psi higher than normal for trips with sustained high speeds
so 38 front 36 rear would probably be a starting point- it will also help since the load per wheel is increased with the luggage and supplies

There is another recent thread that gave ~100 tips on trips,,,snacks water blanket- be prepared for road closures due to accident-happens all the time.
A few large mouth water type bottle and a medium sized funnel for use as
- HERE= Human Element Range Extender, the funnel is the Jills John adaptor~Oh you laugh now- but when you are far from a reasonable place to make a pit stop.....you will thank me then!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
If you want my personal advice I'd highly suggest taking a rental car. Man the amount of wear and tear for that kind of trip on your beautiful car just ain't worth IMO.

I once drove from CT to Atlanta and on to Miami with a bunch of guys. GOOD thing I didn't take my own car!!! I almost did! I had a brand new Ford Taurus rental with 150 miles on it. We brought that thing back 3000 miles later in such pathetic shape, lol! Putting your TL through that just for a vacation ain't worth it. If even one non-warranty issue happens it can cost you, and cost you more than anything you are trying to save. Not worth the risk. Rentals come cheap nowadays, $30/day, run up those miles!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
taking my MDX on long trips, I have some experience.
Check all of your fluids before leaving.
Raise the Tire pressure to about 37 all around
Check the PSI in the spare tire
Make sure you have an emergency kit (band aids, cut disenfectant, water, etc)
Pack some snacks, your pillows (more comfortable to sleep on during a vacation)
Pack some Dvd's
Get some good music

If you are taking your TL, here are some more specific suggestions I have for you:
Get the RECALL's DONE ASAP
Make sure your tires are wearing evenly and have no bubbles or foregin materials in them
Check your transmission fluid before you leave, changing it a 30K is recommended here, but 60K by the manual
Make sure the alignment and balance of the tires are good (TL is easily affected by these)
Make sure you know how to use the conveniece features of your car (navi, bluetooh, HVAC, radio)

and best of all
HAVE FUN!

Also if you come near daytona beach, come visit!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatcha doin in Tampa? if you need any reco's for restaurants or anything like that, PM me, I know this city pretty well.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got home yesterday from Bangor Maine. 975 miles later. The car will love the trip to FL. Highway miles on a car are the best miles to do. This car will get you at least 30 mpg the whole way there. Check all fluids and tire pressure and be on your way. You bought this car to drive it, not look at it.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just got back from the Jersey Shore yesterday. TL did great to and from, no problems whatsoever. It was about 1300 miles round trip, and I wouldnt have wanted to do it in any other car but my TL!! I averaged about 31/32 mpg, and you bought the TL to drive it, i definitely wouldnt get a rental.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i do this trip about 6 times a year...and i just got back last night from my 4th....this is what i do to make sure the car is ready.....oil check....tranny fluid....air filter ....all motor mounts n tranny mounts....brakes...... all bulbs front to rear (not looking to get pulled over for stupid shit) windshield wipers... a good cleaning and a coat of wax keeps the car slightly cooler in the heat and it makes it easier for bug guts to come off.....and a pillow in case u pull over for some Z'zzzzz. enjoy ur trip hope it goes well. oh and the inside air filter if it makes u feel better.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
I just got back from MIAMI a few weeks ago after going there in January, the drive is awesome going down, didnt really enjoy it comming up. Be careful of cops in Deleware and Virginia and then your good. Carolinas its a free for all!! Speed limit is 70mph and I was prolly going at about 110 for a good portion of those 2 states, I know gas mileage suffers but it was defenitely a rush!!

Enjoy the drive!! One thing I wish I did before going was put a clear bra on the front of my car because when I got back dam my car looked like it was sandblasted with the amount of rock chips. I would defenitely advise that if you want your car's front end looking flawless.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm Canadian but I've driven thru the US a few times and I noticed there is a pretty big price difference in gasoline between states, ie gas in Pensylvania was much cheaper than in NY. Due to taxes I think. Try to find out which states have the cheaper gas and try to fill up there.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced

buckle your seat belt and don't speed. State troopers are a bitch from NC to GA.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I almost forgot about checking the spare and waxing to keep the bugs from damaging the paint. I will also be going to Auto Zone after work to look for some Deep Creep. As far as the Recalls, they were done a week before I got the car.

01tl4tl-

Do you think the higher PSI plus the August heat could be a risk of a blow out?

“A few large mouth water type bottle and a medium sized funnel for use as
- HERE= Human Element Range Extender, the funnel is the Jills John adaptor~Oh you laugh now- but when you are far from a reasonable place to make a pit stop.....you will thank me then!”

I’ll make to pack a some Gatorade for some yellow bombs, I’m sure my wife will love that.

Rockyfeller-

Highway driving not as bad as you think, what is really bad is city driving with all that stop and go. The last time I drove to Fl in my civic I had replaced the oil before I left, when I got back 3000 miles later, the oil was like new. If i did 3000 miles of Queens driving the oil would be black.

STR-11

I have some friends that moved to Tampa from Queens NY and they always have a room for use.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Get a Valentine One
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

rental a car
Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Safety Car

good call mark.....ya dont forget the valentine one for sure its saved my ass a ton of times
Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I make the trip from the Toronto area to Clearwater and return at least once a year (3 times in 2006). Other than keeping the routine maintenance up to date I've done nothing else. Still have the original tires and the car is running like new. It's a great ride and highway gas mileage is excellent. Enjoy your trip and your TL.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate to say it, but if you are looking at it from a purely financial standpoint it would be cheaper to look around for a cheap flight. However road trips can be fun, so maybe that has something to do with it? I flew home to Philly from Orlando for about $100. Fuel alone will cost you between $150 and $200.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
dont put so many miles on your car. It is not worth it in my opionion
Old 07-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
fly then rent a car!!

if not, use alot of blue scotch tape on your front bumper

Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

hahaha thats funny.... id like to know who bought their car and had a plan of not putting miles on it.....unless its a lease and their company covers the expenses up to the mileage described in the lease......anyone?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

evo.....that tapes gotta go on ur windshield mirrors bumper hood wipers and visors if u got em lmao!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
XM service is worth it. If you dont have it, see if you can get that 77/yr promotion. Should be a thread in the navi section. Make sure you regularly clean the bug gunk off front, I'd bring a detailer and microfiber cloth. I like poorboy's quick detailer.

almost time for your spark plugs. Changing those out might improve mileage. Make sure your tires are inflated properly and balance/allignment is good.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOLICARUS
fly then rent a car!!

if not, use alot of blue scotch tape on your front bumper

LOL I flew to Tampa from Balto in Sept for $68. You might just check the current fares and rental vs cost of gas IMHO.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
I hate to say it, but if you are looking at it from a purely financial standpoint it would be cheaper to look around for a cheap flight. However road trips can be fun, so maybe that has something to do with it? I flew home to Philly from Orlando for about $100. Fuel alone will cost you between $150 and $200.
The best price we could would was about $500 for both me and my wife and then car rental for 10 days. if i drive it's like $340 to $380 on gas.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
You got the car to use and enjoy on trips. I say stick with it. Does it have navi? comes in especially useful on trips like this
Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the tires will be better with the hot road temps and running them at 37-38 psi cold
look at the max pressure rating- at max weight- thats whats listed on the tire as cold psi

with a full load of suitcases, the TL will be up towards the tires and cars weight limit, and it will want near full pressure in tires to maintain sidewall stiffness under load.

Blue tape=cop magnet
Get a clearbra and install yourself- for $35 bucks of material even if you screw it up its not a big deal- some protection is better than none
Even a plain ol vinyl bra wil lprotect it for trips

I learned Seafoam makes Bug B Gone too~ wanna bet it removes them instantly!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Just got back from AutoZone picked up some Deep Creep (7.99 Dam!) also picked up some Turtle Wax ICE synthetic paste polish, at $17 it better be good. I heard of it in the Wash and dry section. I also got a can of Fix a flat as a back up plan.

01TL4TL-
I'll run 37 psi cold, The car to should be too loaded, it's just three small bags, one for me and two for her.

I may also clear the front bumper, I have a friend that tints and would do it for free ( well not that free, I fix his computers for him)

leedogg-
Yea it has Navi (i love it)
One of the reason i put this option to drive down to my wife was because I only drive in the weekends and it's just short trips in traffic to Queens NY from North East Jersey to visit family. This drive would let me get to know the car better and enjoys seeing more the 18mpg and Avg mph 15.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
MT? Change the tranmsission oil with the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified. It takes 2½ quarts so you'll need to buy 3. Typicallly, this can be found at a Chevy dealer. Now before you ask WHY, this topic has discussed to death in this forum and there isn't a single member here with a manual transmission that isn't glad they did it.

I may be driving to Orlando in September for the annual Celebrity Lookalike/Impersonators Convention and can't wait to make the voyage.

Good luck on your trip!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DMZ
MT? Change the tranmsission oil with the GM Syncromesh Friction Modified. It takes 2½ quarts so you'll need to buy 3. Typicallly, this can be found at a Chevy dealer. Now before you ask WHY, this topic has discussed to death in this forum and there isn't a single member here with a manual transmission that isn't glad they did it.

I may be driving to Orlando in September for the annual Celebrity Lookalike/Impersonators Convention and can't wait to make the voyage.

Good luck on your trip!
Or you could go to acura and get new reformulated fluid for free. Also DMZ, come visit if you come near daytona... DUH you have to take I-4 to get to orlando, and guess where it starts, daytona beach....
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Or you could go to acura and get new reformulated fluid for free. Also DMZ, come visit if you come near daytona... DUH you have to take I-4 to get to orlando, and guess where it starts, daytona beach....
For free? I doubt it. Since you're a moderator, you should know from all the multitude of threads on this subject that the GM fluid provdes superior results.

I haven't been to Daytona Beach since college.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

man i was in deltona this past weekend....sweltering heat lol i was lovin it!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Coming down I-95 fill up in GA at exit 3. This is just before you enter Florida. Gas will be anywhere from 10 to 20 cents cheaper per gallon.

Also when you get near Jacksonville you will want to take the I-295 south bypass. Too much contruction with the I-95/I-10 interchange right now. Better to go around all that.

Wave as you pass exit 12 on I-295.

Watch for trooper near St. Augustine and Palm Coast. Just go with the flow and you'll be fine.

Have a great trip..........
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Ev an' Tec

Personally, I'd really recommend cold pressures of 33 PSI Front, 32 PSI Rear, at least as posted for the 3G TL. The MDX is probably 1000 pounds heavier, and is AWD, so 37 on that might be better.

If it's a newer 3G TL, your car might have a built-in tire pressure display in the MID display. If it has one, you should get in the habit of seeing what the pressure is, and how it changes when the car has been driven (or has been out in the sun). Then you'll get an idea of what typical tire pressure is when you drive. Sometimes, the wheels need to roll a rotation or two for the tire sensors to work -- so they might still show last night's 37 psi for about 50 feet until they reset to this morning's true reading of 33 psi.

(If you don't have the built-in tire pressure display, it's a pain to take measurements on each tire, especially since a little air leaks out with a manual gauge.)

From using the MDI, I've found that even when the tires start out with a Cold PSI of 33 Front and 32 Rear, with driving they can heat up to 36 Front, 34 Rear. Sitting in the sun, the tires on the sun-side can go up to 35 / 34, while the shade side might be 34 / 33. Aggressive driving on a hot day and-or hard-braking, they can go to 38 or 37 in front, though the rears would probably be 35 or so.

Also, temperature adds about 1 PSI per 10 degrees. So if your tires are 33 PSI starting out cold from overnight in a garage (maybe 65 degrees), when you wind up in Florida and the overnight low is 75, the cold temperature might start out at 34. (Or if you drove somewhere cold where the overnight low was 55, the cold pressure might be 32 PSI instead of 33.)

The bottom line is, I think you should start at 33 Front cold, 32 Rear cold. If your car sits out on the street in Queens, it might not be so "cold" from early-am sunlight, so you might start out at 34 front, 33 rear.

You don't need to bleed your tires if you're starting out at 34 or 35 cold, but I wouldn't suggest pumping them up to 37 cold. They'll hit 37 just driving on the highway in the summer. (Unless you're doing 40 mph to save gas -- but then you wouldn't be in a TL anyway!)

You might want to pick up a portable air pump ($20 maybe) at target, to adjust pressure, as well as a pen-style gauge. I've found the MDI display matches what the gauge says, but the pen gauge is easier when going from tire to tire, and you don't need to have the ignition on.

P.S. One minor exception -- the 3G manual says if you're going to take the car above 118 mph, you should pump the PSI to 39 psi front, 35 psi rear. But I think your tires will be the least of your concerns at that speed in a car with luggage and family!

Other stuff...

In any case, the Valentine will be a good idea, unless you've memorized all the speed traps for 900 miles. I think in VA they might still ban them, but otherwise you're probably OK.

And if you're going with kids, a portable DVD player is a lifesaver, especially with a lighter plug for when the batteries die after 2 hours.

Have fun!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Racer

I just came back from a 1000 mi round trip from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach SC. Car handled very well, just like expected. 29-31 mpg straight hwy. I bought my car brand new and its always in top shape, so did nothing, just jumped in and drove.

200 mi trip will take roughly 4 gas tanks each way, so you will be spending about 450 on the gas for round trip + 40 on tolls (from NJ to MD), that's $500. Spending 18hrs behind the wheel each way is a lot and may worth more money than you are saving on plane tickets. Just think about a ruined whole day the trip takes place, and a day after that to come back to feeling normal again. Getting a rental car is better than putting miles on a TL, however, if you need a car while in FL, then you're probably better off taking yours than paying $350 to rent some POS.

If your gas mileage has been ok, and starts ok, than at 55k mi you dont need to do any SEAFOAM or spark plug replacement.

I would take a hard look at tires and make sure not only you have sufficient thread but also make sure there are no cracks in the rubber. Rubber gets old and cracks, and then the tire can blow up on hwy. Don't out the tire pressure too high up, I had mine set at 35 all around and was fine. Check condition and oil level. Check brake fluid level, power steering fluid level, coolant level. Make sure there are no leaks from underneath the vehicle. If there have been no leaks, don't worry about checking manual tranny fluid level. Get some sunglasses to protect your eyes from sunglare as you drive through sunrise. Car starts, runs, shifts, and stops ok, then you're set to go.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

wow holy shit my boss just sent me this on tires and that they should not be used after the manufacturing date of 6yrs....and it shows u how to tell when they molded by the numbers on the sides.
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the rest of the trip but be prepared for a few rock chips and a possible chipped windshield between Lakeland and Tampa when on I4, I avoid I4 if at all possible due to the dump trucks and rock trucks!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by tampacfimei
I don't know about the rest of the trip but be prepared for a few rock chips and a possible chipped windshield between Lakeland and Tampa when on I4, I avoid I4 if at all possible due to the dump trucks and rock trucks!
its not that bad now, they have been cleaning it up a bit. to the OP after the DELAND exit on I-4, STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE. They recently made that and the road easily peels up with sticky tires, so a car in front of you will kick up ashpahlt at your TL. Also that is cop heaven...
Old 07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Coming down I-95 fill up in GA at exit 3. This is just before you enter Florida. Gas will be anywhere from 10 to 20 cents cheaper per gallon.

Also when you get near Jacksonville you will want to take the I-295 south bypass. Too much contruction with the I-95/I-10 interchange right now. Better to go around all that.

Wave as you pass exit 12 on I-295.

Watch for trooper near St. Augustine and Palm Coast. Just go with the flow and you'll be fine.

Have a great trip..........
Adding to what you have already said, I would take 1-295 to I-10 west and then to 301 south. Then take 301 south to 26 or 24- one of those- and take that to I-75 and go south to Tampa. Much better route IMHO compared to taking 95 down to I-4 and cutting across.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggesq
Adding to what you have already said, I would take 1-295 to I-10 west and then to 301 south. Then take 301 south to 26 or 24- one of those- and take that to I-75 and go south to Tampa. Much better route IMHO compared to taking 95 down to I-4 and cutting across.
I was looking at 301, are there any lights on it?

Quick Reply: Driving from North East NJ to Tampa FL and back, any suggestions?