Sponsored by:

Driving my TL. How it feels, and you.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving my TL. How it feels, and you.

Hi Everybody,

Quick question. I haven't really driven a car so low to the ground for such a long time, but I just had a few questions since I'm curious whether or not it's just my car.

It's a 2004 Acura TL with a full A-Spec kit.

Can't remember what it was like to drive a newer one at the dealership, but right now the car makes a little whining noise whenever I accelerate. Is this normal? If it can be fixed, what might be the problem?

Lastly, referring to the lowering kit, I looked it up, and I found that lowering a car basically just improves the handling but makes the ride rougher. Easy enough. However currently, while I do notice better handling, I find that sometimes when the potholes are covered up on the freeway, or just some patch job that leaves the road uneven, running over any one of these items causes my car to jerk a certain direction.

While this doesn't exactly feel like something "out of the ordinary" I can easily say that it affects me enough that I don't drive over 90 MPH. In my older Maxima, driving at 140 MPH, I felt nothing other than dips, and when I ran over these same imperfections in the road, nothing was affected as far as the overall inertia or roll of the car.

Yes yes, I understand it's bad to go any faster than that, but just the overall fear that one of these days I'll be going at 80 MPH, and because I'm only lightly holding the steering wheel with one hand, I'll hit an uneven part of the road and my car will go out of control.

Hopefully some of you can relate?

I'm pretty much asking the question because I don't exactly always grip the wheel with 2 hands, if not even tightly with one hand. 80 MPH is my cruising speed.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:59 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The difference you are feeling is likely due to the wider A-Spec rims and tires in comparison to the Maxima tires that you were running...which was probably on a stock suspension designed for a cushy ride. I notice the same difference you are talking about when I change my Lexus GS400 16" snow tires and rims to the performance summer 17" wider rims and tires. When I change to summer tires...the car responds to about everything...where in the winter it drives much more differently and cushy on the smaller slimmer tires and rims.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Oh noes.

But do you feel the same fear as I do? Because sometimes I'm just simply driving with my fingers lightly in order to keep the wheel straight. Mind you I'm doing this on a straight road, but these little bumps don't seem to want me to do that.

P.S. I just read up on the whining problem. Does anybody have a reference thread to the heat shield? I'd like to know if I can tighten it myself.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by happytang
Oh noes.

But do you feel the same fear as I do? Because sometimes I'm just simply driving with my fingers lightly in order to keep the wheel straight. Mind you I'm doing this on a straight road, but these little bumps don't seem to want me to do that.

P.S. I just read up on the whining problem. Does anybody have a reference thread to the heat shield? I'd like to know if I can tighten it myself.
Not at all....I dont worry about anything whatsoever. While it does respond to imperfections in the pavement surfaces more....it certainly doesnt jerk the wheel from my hands at all. I might suggest a 4 wheel alignment....something sounds amuck in the front end so far as handling. Yes...it may sway me to one side of the lane minorly a bit if I am not holding the wheel in my hands, but it certainly isnt anything overly sudden or jerky or that even makes me feel uncomforable.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
However currently, while I do notice better handling, I find that sometimes when the potholes are covered up on the freeway, or just some patch job that leaves the road uneven, running over any one of these items causes my car to jerk a certain direction.

While this doesn't exactly feel like something "out of the ordinary" I can easily say that it affects me enough that I don't drive over 90 MPH. In my older Maxima, driving at 140 MPH, I felt nothing other than dips, and when I ran over these same imperfections in the road, nothing was affected as far as the overall inertia or roll of the car.
First check your tire pressure- start with 39F/36R for the 18" A-Spec wheels (may be on your driver's door plate and on the last page of the owner's manual).

Then visually check the tires, or have them checked by a tire shop. Bubbles and internal tread separation sometimes cause an excessive reaction to road imperfections. Also check the tread wear- how worn are the tires?

You can have the tire inspection performed before the 4-wheel alignment if you don't DIY. However, get the alignment only if you have good tires-- if the tires are worn or close to end of their lives, get new tires before the alignment.

G/L.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Tire pressure is good, however rear back wheel has a bubble. But the treads are still good, so I plan on using them up until I buy new ones.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The bubble I'd be worried about as it could lead to a blowout. Coincidentally those bulges are created from going over potholes to fast.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Hmmm... It's a sumitomo, but I don't know if I have the receipt for it anywhere.

Does anybody know the warranty on these tires?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Tire pressure is good, however rear back wheel has a bubble. But the treads are still good, so I plan on using them up until I buy new ones.
!!!!
That's what is causing your flaky handling and ride- I've had the same thing happen on another FWD car, where a bad rear tire screwed up handling and front end response!

Dump those rear tires NOW-- regardless of available tread. If the rear bubble bursts on that tire while you're on the freeway, you and the TL may be in a world of hurt- that's not worth $300 or $400.

Get a matching pair- Bridgestones, Goodyear F-1s, Yoko Advans, whatever- for the rears.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driving 140 on tires with a bubble... I'll start polishing up your Darwin award now.

Idiot.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

real smart
Old 06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Haha, maybe I should rephrase that.

I drive 140 MPH in my Maxima. As of right now I barely go over 80 MPH in the TL.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
^ dunno if you should be doing 140 regardless of what car you're in on a public road.Just get new tires.