Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Edge Gaurds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Door Edge Gaurds?

Has anyone bought door edge gaurds for their new TL? If you did, then do they really help? and how much did you pay for them and where did you get them installed from?

Thanks,

narmeen.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$56 from http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html. I like them. I banged the door edge against the wall-left a spiderweb looking marks. The door edge guard will definately prevent this. It is easy to install on your own except you have to shave off some silicon stuff inside the doors. Do a search. I posted a couple of pictures a while ago.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Novice
$56 from http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html. I like them. I banged the door edge against the wall-left a spiderweb looking marks. The door edge guard will definately prevent this. It is easy to install on your own except you have to shave off some silicon stuff inside the doors. Do a search. I posted a couple of pictures a while ago.
I cant find it, can you find the thraed for me please?

Also, is it hard to take off the silicon stuff, cause i am planning to do it myself...How long did it take to install it?

Thanks Novice
Old 04-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Door Edge Trim
Genuine Acura TL door edge trim. For added door protection, color-matched Door Edge Trim is available to prevent chips on the edge of front and rear doors For maximum protection, Door Edge Trim can be used with Body Side Molding, if installed at the same time.

Go all the way down (almost bottom)-the one without picture. It is really easy to install. It comes with a tool to peel the silicon stuff off (confusing to use, but I could help you later with that). Once you do that, it will take less than 5 min. per door. Also, when you get a set, be careful not to bend the door guards-they are made out of metal+rubber. My Imagestation picture site is down and I cannot find the previous threads either. I will try this again later. They look pretty good on cars, too.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Novice
Door Edge Trim
Genuine Acura TL door edge trim. For added door protection, color-matched Door Edge Trim is available to prevent chips on the edge of front and rear doors For maximum protection, Door Edge Trim can be used with Body Side Molding, if installed at the same time.

Go all the way down (almost bottom)-the one without picture. It is really easy to install. It comes with a tool to peel the silicon stuff off (confusing to use, but I could help you later with that). Once you do that, it will take less than 5 min. per door. Also, when you get a set, be careful not to bend the door guards-they are made out of metal+rubber. My Imagestation picture site is down and I cannot find the previous threads either. I will try this again later. They look pretty good on cars, too.
Ok Novice, i am going to go ahead and order them and when they come in i will ask for help if i need any. Are they very visible on black, cause i dont want them to be that visible.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine is desert-not too visible. You may want to visit local dealers to check them out!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:23 PM
Pro

I think they look really ugly and don't do much to protect anything. The protection is mostly to the other cars that you bang with your door. If you have another car in your garage and you often bang it with you TL's door, then go ahead and get them. Otherwise they are really a waste of money and good looks.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Just like everything else, this could be one of those personal preferences, etc. I don't really look at the car that often (usually I am driving in it), so maybe I am a wrong person to ask. I do know that the door guards do protect the fragile paint coat. If you don't like them, you can remove them in 10 sec. Is it waste a money? Absolutely! I got them because the paint finish was getting ruined.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
I have them on my white TL. They are body color so they are not very noticeable. They are more noticeable on a white or light color car because of the shadow you can see when it is in the sun, but on the darker colors you won’t even see that.

Go here. http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl.html
They have installation instructions. It is easy. The instructions say to scrape the stuff from inside the doors. For what it’s worth, my dealer installed them for me (no charge because they feel bad about the tires) and they didn’t scrape the silicon stuff. At first I was mad but then I figure the moldings look all right and the silicon stuff will help the moldings stay on better.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Instructor

I just ordered mine from the website: TOTAL $65.47 including shipping. I got the black ones for my black TL. I think they should help GREATLY, since i just hit my door into the garage wall yesterday and it left a white mark on my TL. :rocketwho
Old 04-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Burning Brakes

As promised:
http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...3&from_album=1

Old 07-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm interested in getting them but would like to see them on a TL. Does anyone have any pictures they can share?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

I don't have any close-ups of the edge guards, but they're installed on my car. Since they're color keyed, they don't stand out unless you're right near the car.

Photos of my car are here so you can see for yourself.

I recommend the edge guards as they protect the door edge paint against your doors getting away from you and smacking another car, wall, etc. They also lessen the damage to whatever you hit, not that you'd allow it to happen.

Regards,
Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Don't do it. That stuff looks horrible!!!! Just make an effort to watch where you open your door.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

I just added the door edge guards to a White and Silver 2004 TL. They are color matched to the vehicle and you need a rubber mallet to tap them into position on the edge of the door .

They offer excellent protection but they are not completely invisible. Color matching helps to have them blend into the car and I would say, based on the two sets I installed, they are a good investment to protect your doors with a minimum impact on the lines of the car.

Of course, I also don't mind the Acura back up sensors in the bumper but, hey, to each their own tastes.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I checked with the artist in the family, and he retched at the look of them - "they paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to get the side look right, and those things will break up the lines with their intrusive surfaces - just be careful for cryin out loud".

There it is. Couldn't have said it better myself - no way, Jose.