3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your TL (TL-S) paint scratch easily ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:42 PM
TL SL ML :)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Does your TL (TL-S) paint scratch easily ?

I've been seeing some scratches on my TL-S after I washed it today for the first time since I got the car (new) last week...I really dont think its the materials I'm using to clean the car, as they are also used on my other cars which havent shown any signs of scratching etc.

I use a good sponge to clean down the car with Mr Clean autodry carwash, and use a microfiber towel to dry the car... I dont know if it's me causing the scratches or something else ???????
Old 03-25-2007, 06:01 PM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is your car black? if it is, live with it....it's black.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM

haha yes it is black (look at the avatar)...I just want to know if this is normal / is this something I'm doing or something else
Old 03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is normal on any black car. scratches/swirl marks dont show up quite as well on white cars like the M-B in the avatar
Old 03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
IMHO- based on what you said, it's the color bro. Get some Z-5 from Zaino.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 PM

Just to clarify...the scratches aren't like key marks but are apparent enough that they are more distinct than the typical paint swirls/hairline scratches
Old 03-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

yep I have the same issue with mines.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM

triton3k...being that you have the same issue, I'm a little relieved that it wasn't just me/any of my doing...hopefully

I'm still surprised that this happens...I have a black Lexus LS and dont remember seeing these kind of scratches when the car was in brand new condition

So you guys are saying its normal to have/see scratches like this on a Black colored TL ?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:37 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I have an 07 and I have alot of swirl marks. I dont really notice big scratches, but thats probably bc of the swirls. When the weathers really nice im gonna clay bar it to take them all away.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Black car here, swirls everywhere, it's normal.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i have a black tl too. the paint gets scratched when one piece of dust falls onto it when it's parked. then i get another scratch when i drive away and the piece of dust falls off.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
:shakehead Scratches on a black car (or any) is not normal. I agree that its easier to see swirls on dark cars more than light colored cars, but swirl marks should not be accepted as normal.

If properly maintained, your car can be swirl free. LacViet (from 2G TL) is a very good example.

I suggest you guys head on over to the Meguiar's forum for details on how to remove swirls and maintain it.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blazinginder
I've been seeing some scratches on my TL-S after I washed it today for the first time since I got the car (new) last week...I really dont think its the materials I'm using to clean the car, as they are also used on my other cars which havent shown any signs of scratching etc.

I use a good sponge to clean down the car with Mr Clean autodry carwash, and use a microfiber towel to dry the car... I dont know if it's me causing the scratches or something else ???????

Hey blazinginder,
When I used to wash my parents' cars (one dark green, the other black), I used the good ole' circular washing method (u know, "wax on, wax off" from Karate Kid? ). But its that method that makes swirls or spiderwebs (at least i think it is) cuz any little tiny dirt particles make circular scratches on the finish so when light reflects on it, it makes your car look sucktastic. Their cars, by the way, are riddled with swirl marks (thanks to me!). Anyways, I avoided that method and wash/wax my car using linear strokes (i.e. start from the top of the hood and move to the bottom in a straight line) and i make sure that i rinse the wash cloth after every stroke with clean water, and then dip it back into the soap bucket. After owning a NBP TL (like yours but without the benefit of the 3.5L ) for about 8 months, not a single swirl mark! But yea, those spiderwebs or swirl marks show more on black cars, but i hope this helps in avoiding them! Oooo..Forgot to mention...When you dry, dry in linear motion as well. Avoid circular. Like people have said, try using Zaino (i havent personally tried it, but will soon to fix the mess i made on my parents cars!) Good luck dude!!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Safety Car

Swirls are inevitable and can be minimized. They usually occur during washes because of improper technique and equipment. See the AZ Car Care FAQ for proper washing techniques. You can remove swirls with a buffer (PC) using a polishing pad and a polish.
Originally Posted by sunny201
I have an 07 and I have alot of swirl marks. I dont really notice big scratches, but thats probably bc of the swirls. When the weathers really nice im gonna clay bar it to take them all away.
You are very misinformed about claying. A claybar will not remove swirls. Head on over to the Wash & Wax forum to get more info.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:21 AM
My Daily Driver

it's black, and it is a honda. Never gonna be a good combo for scratches and paint chips. Honda paint and clear is extremely soft as others have mentioned already.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Racer

I'm guessing the sponge you're using isn't helping any either as they tend to trap dirt. You might try a microfiber wash mitt. Try Autopia for some tips.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Racer

Zaino it
Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
You are very misinformed about claying. A claybar will not remove swirls. Head on over to the Wash & Wax forum to get more info.
Thanks for the info. People told me that it was the best for swirls, but I guess not. I guess Ill be checkin the wash and wax forums alot now lol.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Majority of swirls come from the washing/drying protocol .. Ihave owned a few black cars and its tough but if done right you can just about keep them swirl free.. here is a few tips ..

Car washing

This is important as improper washing and drying methods is the major cause of scratching and swirling in the cars clear coat.

1. Hose the car down really well first and rinse it of before you wash

2. Washing: Wash your car when it is cool and in the shade. Air drying is the main cause of water spots, and the heat from the sun and the paint surface only amplifies the effect. Invest in a sheepskin mitt and car wash soap. Others will say different but as long as its not an el’cheapo bargain brand most car wash soaps are ok. Wash a panel .. rinse a panel. Its better to wash gently with more strokes than to rub hard and cause marring in the clear coat layer.

3. Final Rinsing: For rinsing, remove whatever nozzle you usually use from your hose, and rinse the car with the open end of the hose, with a low water pressure. You don't need a jet of water pummeling your car now that it's clean. Just let the water "fall" onto the surface, and you'll see the difference! Definitely helps with the drying process as it will pull the water off.

4. Drying: The Absorber and the MF towel are both popular for drying. I use just the Waffle Weave MF. Before you dry take the nozzle off the hose and with a gentle stream of water run it over the car, it will sheet 90% of the water off for you. I hold the first towel by the corners and pull it over the flat surfaces and it pulls most the water off then I use the MF towel to finish off the body. NEVER use the same Towel to dry the wheels/door edges as you will possibly fill them with crud and scratch the car in the next drying. Same reason to use a seperate wash mitt to wash the wheels. Get a cheapie mitt from WalMart for that.

Couple of tips you might find handy
a) I use the kitchen sponges that are yellow with the green scouring pad back to apply tire dressing. Spray the dressing on the foam side and apply to the tire .. no more overspray on your clean wheels or up on your paint. These are like $1 for 12 at your local dollar discount and at this price disposable when they get dirty.
b) Use Westleys Bleche Wite to clean your tires before applying your favorite dressing. Once you spray this on your tire you will crap when you see the brown crud run down. As with car waxing a well prepared black tire will look better when dressed up. If you have non-cleared alloy wheels protect them from the spray. This step is done immediately prior to the car washing step.
c) To apply your black trim dressing like Back To Black etc try using a foam paint applicator ( Foam wedge shaped brush on a plastic or wooden handle) to put the dressing on. This allows you to get in those hard to reach places and also great for doing straight edges on the rubber around the windows. Just make sure you wipe off the excess so the coat is uniform.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Damn the start of this thread has me lookin at every possible detailing site and recommendations so my car looks good for the summer haha, im such a loser.. but anyways http://www.detailuniversity.com/deta...x.html#more-20 is an awesome site that I found. They tell you almost everything you need to know, or at least what i wanted to know so far! Check it out.
btw I love NBP and I still dont regret buying a black car cause it looks soooo sexyy and everyone always compliments me and my car.