Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does VIN number tell date.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does VIN number tell date.

Does a VIN number tell when the car was manufactured?

For instance.. if the last 4 digits of a vin are 2005 does that mean the last foru digits of a VIN numbered 7962 was built after?

I really need to know this !
Old 11-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does VIN number tell date.

Originally posted by That Girl
Does a VIN number tell when the car was manufactured?

For instance.. if the last 4 digits of a vin are 2005 does that mean the last foru digits of a VIN numbered 7962 was built after?

I really need to know this !
The last five digits of the VIN are the build number, so yes, a larger number corresponds to a later build date.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Instructor

no . closest way of getting date

is label on driver door post which will show month of production, On a BMw you can call BMW headquarters in NJ and give vin hey can give you production DAY, maybe Acura customer service can do that too. Vin tells things about options on car, airbags ect, the rest of the number is only
production sequence, not any clue about when car was made, except lower numbers were made before higher numbers,
Old 11-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Racer

Thank you much.

I wanted to know because ......... I had an accident in my 2003 3.2 tl ,due to tranny failure. It was the second tranny in my 6 month old car. Acura ...NOT my dealership put a private adjuster they contracted out for on my case. NO ATTORNEY involvement. They decided they would put me into a 2004 tl ...they swear to me the tranny is totaly different as this is my MAIN concern ,because I did love the car ..They hoped I'd stick with Acura and I said I would as long as it was not the same tranny~

Ok ...this has gone on for over 2 months . The adjuster said they were making a 2004tl SPECIALLY FOR ME ... Whatever ..right ..anyway ~

I got a call Friday that the car was at the dealership ..mind you the dealership has nothing to do with it ... This is a collateral SWAP I am still paying for the car full price.

They said I could come up and drive it but I could not take delivery because the people doing the paper work for the VIN swap on original loan are not available ,but to test drive my car anyway ..so I went there .. 2 days in a row ..nobody KNEW which was was mine ... There were 2 White 2004 tl's on lot Friday night ... Both had NAVI ..... THEY would not agree to give me NAVI ,since my 2003 did NOT have it ..So I said ok ... the thing is the manager said oh they must have mistakenly sent you a NAVI .. So I'm like thats fine .. but he was not sure, and STILL no one could tell me which was mine ,but the other that had NAVI as well had a 6 spd and I knew that was NOT mine ..

Saturday ...next day go back ... Talk to SAME manager told him that another manager had all details and that I was scheduled to DRIVE my car.. Well the other manager in charge of MY car was golfing ..NOONE knew anything ... BUT there are three cars' on the lot now WHITE diamond ..so only ONE had a NON NAVI ..But the car was NOT there the day before.. ? So I say hmmmmmm.

Now it gest tricky ... Noone knows WHAT car is mine ,not by VIN numbers or anything they SWEAR to know nothing ..

They will NOT talk to me .. I a mgetting confused .. So I go write down the VIN numbers on the 3 WHITE Tl's ....

The TL that has NAVI and 6 spd which could not be mine had a sold sticker and a MSRP sticker from THAT dealership .. I KNOW THATS NOT MINE

The other WHITE TL with NON NAVI ,that was NOT there the day before had a SOLD sticker and a MSRP sticker ..AGAIN WITH THAT DEALERSHIPS tag on the back ...and a VIN number that was LOW .

The other WHITE TL HAS NAVI.... DOES NOT HAVE their MSRP sticker .. NO TAG on the BACK from THEIR dealership and that was the ONLY CAR ON THE LOT THAT DID NOT HAVE A CONTROL NUMBER AND THE VIN WAS HIGH ...5000 off the other ! It was the only one NOT cleaned up ..

AND IT IS THE ONLY VIN NUMBER that ios NOT LISTED ON THEIR PERSONAL WEBSITE FOR SALE ..

Now keep in MIND THIS DEALERSHIP IS NOT SELLING THIS CAR TO ME this is straight from CORP ACURA and the dealership was doing a courtesy to let me take delivery there ..NOW THEY figure out today mysteriously which CAR IS REALLY MINE~~

Guess what it is the one with NO NAVI ,but THE VIN of that car is ADVERTISED ON THIER WEBSITE FOR SALE ..I tell the manager that and all he can do is stutter?

I am sick of the run around ...and I feel they made a mistake in sending me a car with NAVI and now trying to cover .

What do you think?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Instructor

higher te vin later it was made

call acura headquarters , person you are delealing with, could be the last car is yours, sticker may havebeen taken off as it is for you, ALL CAr must have the sticker though,
Old 11-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gosh you've got quite a story there. The trannys have been very reliable in these cars. I would consider putting a tranny temp gauge on it to see if you're experiencing high tranny temps which is usually the main culprit in failures.

As for the dealer giving you the runaround, keep in mind the delaer is not making any money doing this for you. No one there will be motivated to go out of they're way to help since they're focused on sales. Good Luck.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Instructor

tranny of old tl were not reliable

in fact most tecent honda auto trans got extended warranty,
Old 11-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
What a story, ThatGirl. So far as we know, the tranny is totally different. It sounds to me like the last car is yours. As far as VINs go, I've got an early one and haven't had too many issues, certainly none that are dangerous. So don't worry too much.

Good Luck to you! I'm amazed you're sticking with Acura, but what a sweet deal, going from 03 to 04 at no additional charge.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Racer

Hi Bob,

I specifically wanted to post this to you ..but want to thank all who have replied as well.

Since you are a neurologist ,you know the implications of neck injuries,I assume. I have a major reversal of the Cervical lordosis that has caused every disc in my neck to bulge and ALL are impinging the spinal column. I am getting tested Dec 1rst to see which nerve root is damaged because of severe radicular pain .. I also have TMJ both sides and having trouble eating and I have bit both the insides of my jaw up like you can't believe.

I alos have a lumbar bulge that is fattening my spinal canal as well ,so having sciatic ,numbness ect in the legs'.

Well this is in comment to the trading up to 2004 at no additional charge ... I don't feel this is a consolation proze for what I am going through. I do mobile ultrasound and I push a 500 HP machine into doc's offices .. the Dr. treating me says' I should not be doing this ,but this is my job and I have mortgage and children ..I have NO CHOICE ..I am not lashing out at your comment on sweet deals ,but this is not that seeet considering my circumstances ,the tranny has been an issue for 4 years and it had failed twice .. last event with the accident as I just explained.

Hmm .The sticking with ACURA .. I have to say .... I guess I could have went with something else .. But to be honest as far as looks go ....I like it best .. I am terrified of the tranny in my 2003 as can be imagined ,so the fact that they swear to have a whole different tranny in this car was comforting ,thats why I agreed to the swap ,however the current statis of them worrying about my getting an upgrade ,such as the NAVI and making me go twice there to drive my car ..and then noone knowing which was mine ,because they alerted ACURA headquarters that MY car had the NAVI ,which it was not supposed to is really pressing on my last GOOD nerve... IF I HAVE ANY literally~ you see my point .

Product liability is an issue here and if they want to be THAT nit picky I may just find the strength to take them on with the AID of EXCELLENT represetaion.. I am debating this as we speak ..
Old 11-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Angry accident caused problems listed?

if so, see a lawyer fast.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Racer

Yes the accident caused the injuries described this was diagnosed through an MRI.

Acura stated that my ins. co would tkae care of my medical . The private adjuster they hired to investigate and litigate my case is the one in charge .. He came to my house on a sunday afternoon ...investigated the car ect ..and asked me what I wanted.. That he was there in representation of Acura and had the authority to make offers to me...my only statement to him was I was not looking for anything ,but was scared to death of the car and at that time was not aware of all my injuires ,but knew I must have some serious ones due to my symptoms' ..however I said what is Acura going to do for me ,you tell me that ..

He said Acura was going to make me happy.

I am NOT happy . Far from it in fact .
Old 11-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Racer

I just talked with a salesmen at the Acura dealership and asked how long the White non navi had been there ..oh he said atleast a week and a half ! So this means that there was an error in the car they shipped there for me ,since my car was not there till just this Friday ..

So they are really scrambling afraid that I'll get a NAVI in the car .... this million dollar Co ,that has caused me serious injury is so nit picky about( basically) pocket change to them ...... they are trying to cover the mistake instead of just giving me the car that was shipped for me with NAVI..

Really quite unbelievable.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Racer

This is from the Acura dealerships website ..

Now the only car that is NOT listed on the website is the White TL with the NAVI .... Keeping in mind the car I am getting is NOT owned by this dealership ..WHY is the CAR THAT is supposedly MINE listed on their website with the VIN for sale?

This is just another part of this mystery ..Notice too the color is not listed as White Diamond but grand prix white? Anyway ...

THIS CAR WAS OBVIOUSLY not mine and they HAD thisc ar for a while on the lot ..My car accidently came in with the NAVI ..Now they are telling me this car listed here was for ME ... YEAH RIGHT~!

Printable page
2004 Acura 3.2 TL TL 4DR Price: $33,150

Get A Quote:

* First Name: * Last Name:

* Email:

* Day Phone:

* Address:

Specifications:

Engine: 3.2L 6 cyl Fuel Injection

Exterior: Grandprix White

Model Code: UA6624JW

Stock Number: A3447

VIN: 19UUA66214A012041
Old 11-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take it legal

They are playing crap.. get a lawyer, get fixed, and get a nice car. If you can get fixed that is, my sympathies, nerve damage sucks the big one. I got a good double neck snap in a rear-ender a few years ago, got hit, then slammed into the car in front of me from the force.

They are pulling the wool over you until you either cave or get some representation, so go get some girl.

Best Wishes.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Racer

Sherlock ... Your name fits here perfectly .

I am going to do what I can . I normally am unstopable when my mind is made up ... I am not quite myself lately ,but going to do my best here .

Sorry to hear of your injuries as well and thanks for the reply.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Instructor

That Girl,

Did you sign anything when the Acura representative paid you a visit. Release papers or anything?

If so, in exchange for a new 04 TL, you may have released Acura of further liability in your case. I would consult a good lawyer if I were you.

If you did sign a release, you indeed paid a high price for the 04 TL.

I hope you didn't sign anything. Good luck to you.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the name sherlock.. Sherlock was the name of my first TL.. my first car was Cracker, then Watson, then Sherlock and now Maxwell is the current TL.. yes, there's a theme

Home all turns out well, and yeah.. watch that accepting the car doesn't sign your injuries away.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Racer

Hey guy's I haven't signed anything .. I think they want me to sign something when I take posession of the car ..I am not exactly sure what that is though ..

I Made phone calls to the Adjuster over the weekend ,first one he answered ..after that when all the problems were starting to be figured out ,,well havene't heard a word from him...

I did wnat to mention that the adjuster said that my ins. co will take care of my injuries... they admitt that Acura is partly at fault ,but that they really aren't responsible for that ..

True enough the guy behind me was not paying attention ,he admitted that ,but he or noone would have thought my car was going to try to come to a stop dead middle of the highway and we have to keep in mind WHY my car did this ..The tranny locking up as it had almost a month prior and that tranny was replaced . So you think I'd be safe in another tranny ... Well I wasn't .

So really the whole thing NEVER would have occured if the tranny hadn't locked .. I would not have any injuries' been going through all this and I just am at a loss as to how I should handle all this .. I probablly should have gotten an Attorney ,but trying to work with my injuries see Dr's and such is really alot for me and that was an added job ,to get an Attorney and fight this ,however as it stands if I don't get some answers soon ,thats just what I'll be doing ..anyone know a GOOD product liability Attorney?