Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Know If There Will Be Any Changes For The 2005 Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does Anyone Know If There Will Be Any Changes For The 2005 Model

Does anyone know if they will be making any changes to the 2005'TL

I currently own a 95' Maxima in mint condition that runs PERFECTLY !

I hope that I will be taking a step forward and not backwards by purchasing a 2005' Acura TL

Thank You !

( originally from Brooklyn, now in S.Florida )
Old 04-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

yes there will be awd system, and better tires, j/k hahhaha. there have been threads about speculations for the 2005 model but nothing of real evidence. awd system probably won't make it to the 2005 model, might not make it to the 3rd gen at all. i really do hope they put better tires on for the sake of the TL's reputation. but for the most part i think its going to be the same. sales are doing great and why change something that is successful. i personally wouldn't, just keep churning them out of ohio and count the cash. also just from observation have you seen any car company change the first year car the very next? it would have to be a very crappy first year car. if you take a look at the maxima the 2000-01 model i believe had 220hp? and then 2002-03 they put the 255hp motor in there. maybe the 06 might get 300hp? or a type-s version, who knows.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Advanced

I'd be shocked if Acura changed anything other than perhaps adding a color choice for '05. I am three weeks into my new TL after trading in my 95 Maxima SE My Maxima was in pretty good shape too although after 160k miles and a few troubling breakdowns I could no longer depend on it. Comparing my 95 Maxima with the new TL I'd say.

- The TL handles way better than the Max. The TL's suspension is better and it's got more rubber on the road.

- 190 hp vs 270 hp... no comparison (yet the gas mileage is almost identical)

- Having a Navi system is very very neat.

- Far better dashboard on the TL. I never thought Nissan did a good job lighting up the black on white dash on the Maxima. The TL center stack does take a lot of getting used to though. Nissan did a good job on the radio and climate controls on the Maxima and I could manipulate them by touch. The TL's buttons are more numerous and not well as well designed to recognize by touch.

- TL has electronic toys the Maxima didn't

- HID headlights are very nice

That said, there are a couple of things about the Maxima I miss.

- The TL is my first car with leather seats and so far I'd have to say I like cloth better. Even on the coldest mornings I didn't need heated seats in the Maxima but leather is quite cold in the winter and requires seat heaters. I imagine they will be hard take in the summer heat too. Cloth also grips you better while driving in a spirited manner.

- The Maxima was roomier

- So far I'd have to give the nod to the Bose system in the Maxima for sound quality although the TL's can do six disks, satellite and another FM band of presets.

- Outward visibility was better in the Max.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 04-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Question Does Anyone Know If There Will Be Any Changes For The 2005 Model

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I repeat a thread already covered.

I don't mean body style changes, but little bugs and other known problems, some of which I read on this forum.

My 95' Maxima is perfect with 81,000 miles on it. I hope I'm moving up and not going backwards.

Are the tires ok that comes with the Automatic model ? I'm not up on the tire problem. But a read that the air inflation is different from the front and rear tires.

Sincerely,
Cypwood
Old 04-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

It's a big decision when you own an almost perfect car. I changed the brakes once,
just bought my third battery ( DieHard Gold for the South ) I change the battery every 3 years, Oil & filter changes, air filters, I still have the original spark plugs, anti-freeze, etc. The car runs like a swiss watch !

Thanks for the extensive reply,
Cypwood

I know the legenth of the car is smaller then the Maxima. How bout the interior room ?
Old 04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cypwood1

Are the tires ok that comes with the Automatic model ? I'm not up on the tire problem. But a read that the air inflation is different from the front and rear tires.
In Soviet Russia, tires drive you
(old Simpsons episode)

anyways inflation has nothing to do w/ it as much as crappy compound and poorly designed tires. Stupid Bridgestone
Old 04-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Oh boy, Bridgestone - Firestone !
Old 04-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally Posted by cypwood1
Oh boy, Bridgestone - Firestone !
now you're getting it
worst case drive them for the useful life, after that replace with different tires adn you are money
also see if you cna working in a tire upgrade to your purchase deal (I shoulda thought of that sooner)
Old 04-05-2004, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

Interior Room: Seats four adults comfortably, especially for the size of the car.

No tire issues here.

Anthracite/Quartz/Auto/Nav
Old 04-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

WDP with Ebony pleeeeease! And hopefully some real fogs too. Either way I'll most likely get the 05, unless the RL is sweet.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

even tho the tires have been replaced with the "new" el42 when you are shopping ask if they will replace the tires with something else. i would definitely pay the difference for another set of tires. everyone here seems to love the pilot sports. there is a high performance tire option available which is a 200 dollar upgrade. where are you located, florida or brooklyn? if its florida get that option instead you won't have to worry about snow so traction with the summer tires will be fine down south. i would have gotten the HPT's but it snows here so its a no-no.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by caball88
yes there will be awd system, and better tires,
You could bet on it

The Honda SH-AWD was tested on the Honda inspire in japan. Honda inspire (acura TL in previous years) The 04 TL pick-up things from the Honda inspire and Honda accord(Japan) US(TSX).

This means that the system was built around the accord platform....very good for us, because the TL uses the same platform.

As for the tires....I truly believe acura will introduce the PAX SYSTEM on the RL followed by the 05/06 TL.

This allows extra space for the AWD system, since the spare tire is no longer needed.

I also think the card entry (door, ignition, trunk) system that is going to be introduced on the RL in america, already use in the honda inspired in japan, will also come out on the 05/06 TL.

Just my thoughts......they are pretty reliable I must say.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I wouldn't expect any major changes for at least 2 MY's. The previous Gen TL remained pretty much unchanged from 1999-2001... then came the refresh in MY 2002 which made it more like the CL/CL-S, then the redesign for 2004.... so I'd guess MY 2006 may have some changes... possibly, but I wouldn't expect much for 2005 except, as someone mentioned, new color configs and other little things....
Old 04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

not until 06, they wont release all these features at the same time as the RL and take away from the flagship

anyways unfortunately awd will be an option at the dealer. Like nav it is difficult to ass after teh fact. I would gladdly give them my car for a week and $1800 for awd upgrade under factory warranty. That is my stance
Old 04-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
even tho the tires have been replaced with the "new" el42 when you are shopping ask if they will replace the tires with something else. i would definitely pay the difference for another set of tires. everyone here seems to love the pilot sports. there is a high performance tire option available which is a 200 dollar upgrade. where are you located, florida or brooklyn? if its florida get that option instead you won't have to worry about snow so traction with the summer tires will be fine down south. i would have gotten the HPT's but it snows here so its a no-no.
Hi ! I was born and raised on the Brooklyn - Queens Boarder Line, in Ridgewood. I was a NYC Detective and retired after 20 years. I was appointed at 21 and retired at 41.
I now live in South Florida--The Jupiter area. Just Rain !

I will be interested in the 2005 Accura TL Automatic. Tires: The new EL42 comes with the car. And the "Pilot" Who makes these 2 brands ?
Thanking you in advance,
Don
I just hope that the little bugs are fixed for the 2005 model. I would hate to get rid of my 95 Maxima ( looks like it was made yesterday ) and have headaches with the new car. I had the guts to do what I did for a living in NY, but very nervous when buying a new model car.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not much but....

The Honda Ex has a MP3 player option. Hopefully that would not be too much to ask for in the 05' TL