Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want to trade in your TL???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you want to trade in your TL???

Has anyone been really pissed about something with the new TL that made them want to get rid of it? Have you gotten rid of it?? If so, why?
There are a lot of people that have minor issues, but anyone to the point of being unsatisified with the dealer that they couldn't take it anymore and just got rid of the car?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I would say if I could trade it in and not get my ass handed to me trade in wise I would trade it. Unfortunately this isn't an option for at least two more years so I will live with the surround sound rattles built into my TL.

My wife and I love the RSX so we may buy another one of those in a few years, but there won't be another TL in our driveway. Her RSX is rattle free and vibration free and costs almost $12,000 less than the TL.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Guessing that you have taken it back to the dealer for the rattles but they have done nothing about them.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Nope. That was the case with my 94 Ford Thunderbird. But I beat on it for 7 years anyway just because I hated it so much.
:yack: FORD

Originally Posted by jackal2001
Has anyone been really pissed about something with the new TL that made them want to get rid of it? Have you gotten rid of it?? If so, why?
There are a lot of people that have minor issues, but anyone to the point of being unsatisified with the dealer that they couldn't take it anymore and just got rid of the car?
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro

Guessing that you have taken it back to the dealer for the rattles but they have done nothing about them.
Isnt the TL now being exported to Japan for the JDM? Maybe if these same problems are exported to Japan, public opinion (about the TL) there will cause Honda to focus a bit more on the TL's quality. (Of course, quality upgrades now will do little for those who just bought a rattle-prone TL.)

It's truly a shame for such a nice car.

Peace.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Instructor

I agree and this is the only thing, well amost, holding me back from buying a TL. Since the RL will be AWD I would like to wait till Fall of '05 and wait and pray that the '06 TL will be AWD as well. Rattles should be gone by then as well. The TL has a lot of power and would be better suited for AWD. IMHO
Old 06-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bottom line is, whiners are whiners. The vast majority of people who own "04 TL's don't even know this forum exists. Me, I'm completely happy with mine, and wouldn't trade it. Believe me, the same kind of whiners will be on a whatever generation RL forum complaining about the same kind of issues, blaming it on a first year issue, nitpicking about the same kind of things, while most will just be flying down the highways with a smile on their face.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dutchml
Bottom line is, whiners are whiners. The vast majority of people who own "04 TL's don't even know this forum exists. Me, I'm completely happy with mine, and wouldn't trade it. Believe me, the same kind of whiners will be on a whatever generation RL forum complaining about the same kind of issues, blaming it on a first year issue, nitpicking about the same kind of things, while most will just be flying down the highways with a smile on their face.
I also have a TL with no rattles, thankfully, but had a loaner that was ridiculous with noise and rattles and shakes. You can name call all you want Dutch, but if you had THAT car or the one that Norse has apparently, you'd be whining, too.
Just like every forum has people who complain, they also all have people who refuse to accept the car has any problems.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:10 PM
100k miles club

ya norse396 is one of a few 04 owners that has bad luck w/ their car. if it ain't one thing it's another unfortunately. however i wouldn't trade or get rid of mine. it does have it's rattles but it's not enough to change my mind. but what i won't do again is buy the 1st year model/remodel. i may look into a TL again later but my mind is set on a bike next and maybe an SUV or a sports car in a couple of years
Old 06-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Isnt the TL now being exported to Japan for the JDM? Maybe if these same problems are exported to Japan, public opinion (about the TL) there will cause Honda to focus a bit more on the TL's quality. (Of course, quality upgrades now will do little for those who just bought a rattle-prone TL.)

It's truly a shame for such a nice car.

Peace.

The new 04TL isn't exported to Japan yet. If you talk about the 2nd Gen. TL, yes, http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/saber/2003/.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by finishline
I also have a TL with no rattles, thankfully, but had a loaner that was ridiculous with noise and rattles and shakes. You can name call all you want Dutch, but if you had THAT car or the one that Norse has apparently, you'd be whining, too.
Just like every forum has people who complain, they also all have people who refuse to accept the car has any problems.
Yeah, I feel for Norse, too. He's got valid issues. On the other hand, even I've been overly sensitive about things I've read about on the threads almost to the point of paranoia. Most things, even with my eyes and ears a mile wide, haven't occured with my car. Maybe they will, eventually. In the meantime, I'll enjoy it, as much or more, than previous cars I've paid a lot more for.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I bought my car at the same dealer as Norse, and also feel for him.

I had the lousy vibrating tires. I replaced them myself with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and when Acura finally came clean on the EL42's, the dealer reimbursed me to my satisfaction. Norse got the replacement tires and still has to deal with flatspotting.

I had one rattle, in the center console, that the dealer fixed right the first time. Norse has had multiple rattles and they can't get them all right.

I was not enjoying my TL until it became rattle- and EL42-free. I hope that Acura gets Norse there and soon. Once its all sorted out, the TL truly is a great car to drive. I wouldn't trade it now. Back in December when Acura was stonewalling me on the tires and the center console was rattling in the cold, though, I would have been more inclined.

Mike
Old 06-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Instructor

That is funny about the center console rattle because I was just at edmunds.com and looked at the long term road test for the accord. There was one person that bought an accord and had rattles from both doors and from the dash as well. Since the TL and accord are made at the same plant, kind of makes you wander about quality control. Honda better get their act together and fix these issues.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm satified with the purchase... But however if i went to to it again.. I would probably pick the G35 coupe... (dont need the 2 extra doors )

But the TL is just as good :facelick:
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Nope. That was the case with my 94 Ford Thunderbird. But I beat on it for 7 years anyway just because I hated it so much.
:yack: FORD
LOL, funny stuff. :lol1: :lol1:

Originally Posted by finishline
Old 06-01-2004, 08:34 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Complete and utter ignorance.... I've said it a numerous times - it's people with your attitude and lack of "producer/consumer thought" that have allowed American made items/manufacturers to be the way they are! Heck, even the Japanese are relaxing on quality due to knowing the masses don't give a crap or don't have the crotch to stand up for whats right. Continue your thinking, the rest of us "conscious consumers" will struggle to better the "market" for you.

As for the "vast majority" of folks who own a TL and have never seen the forum,,,, Many of those probably wished they had so they could have made a better buying decision.

Am I saying the TL sucks? Heck no. Mine has many of the common issues most folks complain about, but I still love it. But that doesn't change the fact that Acura/Honda should have done better for $35K, and I will be right there attempting to make them.

Carry on - continue "your ignorant whining" about people who don't like to conform to "your" status quo.

Time to pull my TL in the garage, golf ball size hail approaches....
Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Complete and utter ignorance.... I've said it a numerous times - it's people with your attitude and lack of "producer/consumer thought" that have allowed American made items/manufacturers to be the way they are! Heck, even the Japanese are relaxing on quality due to knowing the masses don't give a crap or don't have the crotch to stand up for whats right. Continue your thinking, the rest of us "conscious consumers" will struggle to better the "market" for you.

As for the "vast majority" of folks who own a TL and have never seen the forum,,,, Many of those probably wished they had so they could have made a better buying decision.

Am I saying the TL sucks? Heck no. Mine has many of the common issues most folks complain about, but I still love it. But that doesn't change the fact that Acura/Honda should have done better for $35K, and I will be right there attempting to make them.

Carry on - continue "your ignorant whining" about people who don't like to conform to "your" status quo.

Time to pull my TL in the garage, golf ball size hail approaches....
Pal, it ain't me that's doing any whining. You go ahead and dream that Honda engineers just hang on your every word to improve their product by reading internet forums. And people can make mis-informed decisions too by reading some of the BS I read on here. There isn't a auto manufacturer on earth that has yet to make a perfect car, especially for $35k.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I have no rattles with my TL and have no desire to trade it.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:48 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Pal, it ain't me that's doing any whining. You go ahead and dream that Honda engineers just hang on your every word to improve their product by reading internet forums. And people can make mis-informed decisions too by reading some of the BS I read on here. There isn't a auto manufacturer on earth that has yet to make a perfect car, especially for $35k.
Well, normally I don't get dragged into this forum rhetoric but for starters no-one said anything about a "perfect car" nor did anyone say that "Honda engineers" would change their minds due to a forum. The fact still remains, I could care less if the "product" sold for $5 bucks. If it was of poor quality the consumer should stand up to the "producer" and demand what he paid for. If every consumer felt he was just a whiner for complaining, thus choosing not to confront a manufacturer, poor quality would be more rampant than it is. As for Acura, or any automotive/product manufacturer, after personally working in the field for 8+ years as well as having an MBA and 15 years of business under my belt, I guarantee its all of us returning products for warranty/exchange that change processes performed by the producers resulting in better products.
Also, many feel the "first year of a new model" issue and the fact that they will have greater issues is a misnomer. They for the most part would be wrong. Sure, the manufacturer could hit a home-run and end up with something outstanding, but once again, considering the TL, this first year is a key part of the R & D phase for the manufacturing process. "Whiners" play a critical role in this phase.

Anyway, you are correct that many of the complaints are unfounded and even petty to me but, due to the pure abundance of commonality among numerous complaints on this forum, most are valid.

I may chuckle at someones TL issue :-),, but would never call them a whiner for sticking up for what they feel is "not right".

Hope your not listening to tornado warnings like we are right now...

Happy TL'ing
Old 06-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Team Anthracite Member

If cars had "money back guarantee" then it would be a whole different story with the quality.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:04 PM
Intermediate

After living with the 6-speed TL for almost 6 months now. I can say I really do wish it was rear wheel drive. I love everything else. The fwd takes away a lot of the fun to drive factor for me. I will never buy a high hp fwd car again. Right now if I were in the market for a new car for the price of a TL. I'd buy the Dodge Magnum RT. I test drove one and fell in love with it.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

I havent had one problem with my TL but I am seriously thinking of trading it in for a TL w/ Navi.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rets
The new 04TL isn't exported to Japan yet. If you talk about the 2nd Gen. TL, yes, http://www.honda.co.jp/auto-lineup/saber/2003/.
First that is not the second gen TL....they have 2 models in japan. The Saber and Inspire. The saber is a lower class(sold by different dealership), but it looks the same. The inspire was the TL brother until 04.

They both go head to head. See here http://www.honda.co.jp/pressroom/library/auto/INSPIRE/

Yes you are right, both the inspire and saber were produced in ohio and shipped to japan, but they were design in japan and acura just added their acura logos. As for the 04 TL, their was a lot more input from honda USA acura division and yes is not sold in japan nor europe.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
ACS customer service and the symphony of squeaks and rattles has me regretting this car every day. I have 21 more months before I can proabbly trade it and not take a blood bath in red ink. If I could get rid of it tomrrow and not take huge hit it would be gone, wait it would be gone today!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
ACS customer service and the symphony of squeaks and rattles has me regretting this car every day. I have 21 more months before I can proabbly trade it and not take a blood bath in red ink. If I could get rid of it tomrrow and not take huge hit it would be gone, wait it would be gone today!
Has your dealer done nothing to make you a satisified customer??? You see I am sick and tired of spending money on cars. I just want one that I will be happy with. That is why I am doing so much research. From BMW owners: "If I had a problem with a tranny, they replaced the whole thing, no questions." "Same with rattles, they fixed them up" I don't want to hear from Acura, like I hear with Jeep or others... "yes we hear the problem, but since there are no codes coming from the computer, we can't do anything about it." That is just pure bullshit! I am sorry that some of you guys think that a $35000 car might have some rattles and won't be perfect. Hell there are tons of cars under $25000 that people have to choose from. If everyone knew that they would be getting rattles and squeaks standard from a $35000-40K car they wouldn't buy it!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:47 PM
SOLD

KeithL and others who are complaining:

I have some rattles in my car, about half have been fixed and the other half will be soon enough. Let me give it to you from experience, I used to own a benz 97 C class. Would you rather have squeaks and rattles, or electrical and mechanical problems? Squeaks and rattles you can still drive with, some electrical and mechanical problems sideline you or have a detrimental effect on the vehicle. I know I get really annoyed with these things too but look at it this way.....Would you rather be in a relationship with someone who (only 1) had either a nice personality or good looks? If they didn't look as good as you'd like, maybe get an extreme makeover or something, but you can't really change someone's personality. Look at the overall picture -----> GREAT CAR

SIDE NOTE: Acura can tend to be bastards about warranty issues sometimes, work with them. I had to push and prod a little bit, but now they handle everything great.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Love my TL but would consider the new 300C with the Hemi. That car has caught my interest. But for the money, the TL is hard to beat.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Has your dealer done nothing to make you a satisified customer??? You see I am sick and tired of spending money on cars. I just want one that I will be happy with. That is why I am doing so much research. From BMW owners: "If I had a problem with a tranny, they replaced the whole thing, no questions." "Same with rattles, they fixed them up" I don't want to hear from Acura, like I hear with Jeep or others... "yes we hear the problem, but since there are no codes coming from the computer, we can't do anything about it." That is just pure bullshit! I am sorry that some of you guys think that a $35000 car might have some rattles and won't be perfect. Hell there are tons of cars under $25000 that people have to choose from. If everyone knew that they would be getting rattles and squeaks standard from a $35000-40K car they wouldn't buy it!
Dealer has been great will work on car every time I want him to and give me a loaner. They even threw in a deck spoiler for my pains, but in the end it is a loosing battle on the creaks and squeaks. I am sick of giving the car to the dealer and being in loaner of the week, sometimes a older TL or TSX or on rare occasiona a 04 TL, whihc it too has squeaks and rattles.

Truthfully I was an ass, I had 2 virtually perfect Infiniti's 2000 I30 then 2002 I35, in 27 months the I35 had a small computer bug that casued a shifting issue at the 27 month and 37K mark, I used it as an excuse to go car shopping. I regret it now, my other cars were rock solid, not noises, no ride issues. One back deck squeak in both that one trip to dealer and some padding fixed. The I30 had some vibration issues that the dealer essentially let me try different brand sets of tires until I found a set I liked. Also Infinito customer services is leaps and bounds better that Honda, excuse me I mean ACS.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by NightRider
Would you rather have squeaks and rattles, or electrical and mechanical problems?
I'll bet most of us want a car that doesn't present this choice; we want neither.

Mike
Old 06-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I have to admit this is about the best thread I have read on this forum to date. I love it.
I'm considering trading in either the spouses Mustang LX or my NSX on a TL and like hearing all this positive and negative issues.
When I go to the dealer and have expressed my concerns over some of the problems I already know of, they look at me like I'm an alien. C'mon now, even they have to know about this stuff.
I'm glad to have found this site and gotten some invaluable info from here otherwise I might have bought one already and not been armed with the knowledge that I now have.
Thank guys and keep the comments coming.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:28 PM
4th Gear

Missing my WRX

I have 2700 miles on my TL 6 speed and have some concerns:

1. Torque steer is very annoying at times
2. The clutch engagement has no feel

For these two reasons, I miss the WRX traded.

However, when compared to the G35 (my second choice) or the BMW 530, this car offers a superior value.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EB2COOL
I have 2700 miles on my TL 6 speed and have some concerns:

1. Torque steer is very annoying at times
2. The clutch engagement has no feel

For these two reasons, I miss the WRX traded.

However, when compared to the G35 (my second choice) or the BMW 530, this car offers a superior value.
I have heard those are two serious problems with the car. Apparently the TQ steer isn't as bad in the Auto as in the Manu but who would get one of those.
Is the clutch engagement smooth and fluid & hard to modulate?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 92NSX
I have heard those are two serious problems with the car. Apparently the TQ steer isn't as bad in the Auto as in the Manu but who would get one of those.
Is the clutch engagement smooth and fluid & hard to modulate?
I hate to sound like one of the car rags. But if this was a rear wheel drive car. It would easily be the best value for the buck in its segment. Probably the best period.
Yes the clutch is smooth and the tranny shifts very nice. But it can be hard to modulate. Especially if you haven't driven the car for awhile. However my wife loves everything about the car. But she doesn't drive like me.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Racer

the is my first TL, and will also be my last TL. Just a matter of time.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:52 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys crack me up.

Just read under my screen name
Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Well, normally I don't get dragged into this forum rhetoric but
This coming from a the guy who, just a few posts ago on this thread, referred to another person's post as "complete and utter ignorance". Hey Smitty, here's a news flash for you... You sound like an ass when you make comments like that and then follow it up by saying you "normally don't get dragged into forum rhetoric".

My TL has 13,000 miles and not a single rattle or problem. Got my dealer to replace my EL42s and its been pure pleasure ever since then. There is no better value, no better combination of interior and exterior style, and no better performing, feature-packed car on the road than this one. Period. I've owned seven Acuras in 12 years, and this is mainly due to the fact that no other car on the road can compare in all of these categories at once. Why do I keep getting new Acuras every two or three years? Because Acura keeps coming out with exciting new stuff. In another 18-24 months I'll be driving a new AWD RL, and my wife will have the latest MDX. Period.

And maybe, just maybe in a couple more years I'll be ready to justify putting an NSX in my garage just for fun.

All this other crap that's going on this website about problems, rattles, "I wish I could trade it in", etc, etc is the real rhetoric. There's no better car for the money out there than Acura, and besides, all cars have some problems...you just need to get your dealer to fix them problems if they come up.

Thats all I got!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acuraddict
All this other crap that's going on this website about problems, rattles, "I wish I could trade it in", etc, etc is the real rhetoric. There's no better car for the money out there than Acura, and besides, all cars have some problems...you just need to get your dealer to fix them problems if they come up.

Thats all I got!

Amen Brotha!

To be honest, I have no rattles or squeaks period... In fact, everytime someone gets into my car, one of the first things they comment on is how quiet the ride is. And how "tight / clean" the car feels.

I know some people have problems, and of course they should be addressed, but please people, Don't soil the TL because of some isolated problems. I'm a pickly little bitch too, so don't say I am not being a good consumer, because I would have complained about something by now if there was any real problems with my car.

I would never trade it, not anytime soon.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuraddict
And maybe, just maybe in a couple more years I'll be ready to justify putting an NSX in my garage just for fun.
Hey, I have one of those doing that very thing right now.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What actually is amusing is that no one is really stuck in this car. The demand is so strong and supply of used nearly non-existent that one could just sell it and probably not take a big hit.

Quick Reply: Do you want to trade in your TL???