Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diy oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diy oil change?

Im trying to do my oil change on my 04 TL Aspec...Can someone refer me or tell me DIY steps with pictures? I dont think i can get under it either...i dont have anything but the oil and the filter...what am i missing?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
The 3G Garage is a great place to start looking for DIY's.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by Kebby33
Im trying to do my oil change on my 04 TL Aspec...Can someone refer me or tell me DIY steps with pictures? I dont think i can get under it either...i dont have anything but the oil and the filter...what am i missing?
You need a pan to collect the oil and one jack stand. Jack the car up on the front drivers side to just enough to get the jackstand under there. Get under the car in the passenger front side with a 17mm wrench drain the oil then take the filter off that is next to the tire.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
3G Garage:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-garage-faq-3g-tl-newbies-553554/ - Bookmark this link!!

C-004: DIY: Oil Change Checklist with Service Manual Scan
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80273
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139528 with pictures
Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Kebby33
Since it's clear you're new to doing something like this, I strongly advise you to search the postings first before attempting to do this. The reason is there are a lot of good points and advice and some not so good. You'll get a feel for which ones are the good ones and soon you'll learn enough to do the job.

An excellent example of this is previous discussions (borderline arguments) as to whether or not you should use a torque wrench for the drain bolt. The best answer to this one is this. The bolt and the oil pan are made from two different metals (steel and aluminum) so the potential exists to strip the threads in the pan by running the bolt down too tight. This is not unual for newbies doing their first oil changes. So learn the right way to do things off the bat and you'll be better off in the long run.

Basically you'll need ramps, an oil drain pan, a ratchet/socket set of tools, an oil filter wrench, a torque wrench, funnel, drain bolt washer, thin latex kitchen glove, 1-gallon heavy duty freezer ZipLock bag, 5 quarts of oil, oil filter.

o Drive the car around your neighborhood until the temperature starts to come up some (not too hot).

o Put the ramps up to the front wheels and drive up on them (careful doing this).

o Put a tarp or heavy painter's cloth under the engine bay and position the drain pan under the oil pan.

o Remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine.

o With a latex glove on your strong hand, remove the drain plug (bolt) loosening it out by hand so that it doesn't fall into the drain pan.

o Let the oil drain until it drips.

o Clean the drain plug (bolt) and install a new aluminum washer on it.

o Thread the plug into the oil pan and tighten by hand.

o Remove the glove.

o With a torque wrench, finish tightening the plug to 29 ft/lbs (or 360 in/lbs).

o Move the drain pan over to a position under the oil filter which is on the passenger side of the engine.

o With your filter wrench, loosen the filter just enough to where you can continue to remove it by hand.

o Slip the 1-gallon ZipLock bag completely over the filter and a little above the pickup arm (this keeps residual oil from getting all over suspension parts, your driveway or garage, and you).

o Continue to remove the filter by hand, being careful to let it fall gently into the bag when it comes off.

o Examine the filter gasket mating surface on the pickup arm to make sure the old filter gasket did not pull off of the filter and stick to the pickup surface.

o Rub a light coat of engine oil onto the new filter gasket, then thread the filter onto the pickup.

o Tighten the new filter 3/4's of a turn AFTER contact with the pickup.

o Insert the funnel into the oil fill receptacle at the top of the engine and poor in 4.5 U.S. quarts of your fresh oil.

o Put the fill cap back on.

o Start the engine and when the oil icon light goes out, run the engine up to
around 2500 RPM for about 10 seconds.

o Go back down under the car and carefully check for any leaks around the drain plug and especially around the filter.

Congratulations, you're done.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
^^ Nice write-up.......
Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
^^ Nice write-up.......
Thanks.

I forgot to mention to wipe off the pickup mating surface before installing the new filter.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Instructor

does the oil life % resets or u have to do it urself? last time i brought my car in to a shop to do it they reset it, but my phone list that i added was wiped off
Old 04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005_AM_TL
does the oil life % resets or u have to do it urself? last time i brought my car in to a shop to do it they reset it, but my phone list that i added was wiped off
You have to reset it yourself. It is simple. With the oil life displayed on the MID, you press the reset button for about 10 seconds, and then confirm by pressing it again when it prompts you.

Your phone list has nothing to do with the MID. The shop just made a mistake.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
using your strong hand remove the bolt--
you must have amazing grip strength
I have to use a wrench~

noobs often undertorque the bolt- meaning its loose and can work itself all the way to leak or falling out
Quickie shops do the opposite- with a guy standing under the car and a 2 foot long wrench or worse, an air gun, and puts 50-60 foot pounds of torque on a 29 lb spec bolt
Have fun getting the oil filter off if a shop did it last time too
Putting too much pressure on a rubber seal squishes it out-= leak

Used oil can be taken in 1 gallon plastic jugs to any parts store, oil change place and many shops, all accept free of charge- parts stores and quickie places are required to accept it as part of their license

I like to put some new oil in the filter before install, to soak the media, it lessens the time to fill the filter and develope oil pressure on startup
Put some oil on the rubber seal and the threads as well
Wipe the surface on the engine side free of old oil and confirm the rubber oring is removed--2 orings on each other= leak
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Team Owner

a rag tied around your wrist keeps oil from running all the way up your arm
Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
using your strong hand remove the bolt--
you must have amazing grip strength
I have to use a wrench~

noobs often undertorque the bolt- meaning its loose and can work itself all the way to leak or falling out
Quickie shops do the opposite- with a guy standing under the car and a 2 foot long wrench or worse, an air gun, and puts 50-60 foot pounds of torque on a 29 lb spec bolt
Have fun getting the oil filter off if a shop did it last time too
Putting too much pressure on a rubber seal squishes it out-= leak

Used oil can be taken in 1 gallon plastic jugs to any parts store, oil change place and many shops, all accept free of charge- parts stores and quickie places are required to accept it as part of their license

I like to put some new oil in the filter before install, to soak the media, it lessens the time to fill the filter and develope oil pressure on startup
Put some oil on the rubber seal and the threads as well
Wipe the surface on the engine side free of old oil and confirm the rubber oring is removed--2 orings on each other= leak
Yeah, going back over the writeup, I see where I left out or wrote some things in a questionable manner. Your catch above in bold is a good example of my screwup. What I meant, of course, was to loosen the bolt with a wrench then remove it by hand carefully so as not to drop it into the drain pan.

Thanks.. good catch.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
a rag tied around your wrist keeps oil from running all the way up your arm
This is why I do two things. I use a latex glove on my right hand to remove and replace the drain plug, and I use a 1-gallon ZipLock bag to remove the filter into. Both of these things keep the mess to a minimum with no oil spilled in the process.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Instructor

what do you do with the used oil?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linky33
I'm not about your State, but here in MA all Advance Auto Stores are willing to take any amount back and some gas stations like the Mobil in the town over takes up to 4 gallons.
The town has also a recycle facility that will take your oil for a flat fee of $5, but why pay as I mentioned above that others are willing to take it off your hands for free....

That reminds me that I have (5) 5qt. jugs filled with dirty oil sitting in my garage...thanks Acurazine for reminding me...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

places that sell oil are required by law to take a reasonable amount back from you,
buy 5 qts- take 5 back..not 10 gallons~

Even with gloves on,its possible for oil to run up your arm- I'm thinking of those new to the task and how to keep things clean.
I keep grease sweep on hand and use a large tray under the oil catch pan

the ziplock for the filter is a great trick
Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

I have to 5-gallon gas cans that I pour the used oil into and when they're full, I take them to one of the heavily wooded areas close to where I live and just dump the oil in a hole. No muss, no fuss.

Seriously, there is a county reclamation center not far from where I live and that's where I take my used oil.. 5 gallons at a time.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
do you have autozone??...i buy the 5qt container of mobil 1 from walmart, then after my oil change, i dump the remaining 1/2qt in the wifes car or the lawnmower, then dump the old stuff back into the 5qt container and take it to autozone where they take it back for free....
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Since it's clear you're new to doing something like this, I strongly advise you to search the postings first before attempting to do this. The reason is there are a lot of good points and advice and some not so good. You'll get a feel for which ones are the good ones and soon you'll learn enough to do the job.

An excellent example of this is previous discussions (borderline arguments) as to whether or not you should use a torque wrench for the drain bolt. The best answer to this one is this. The bolt and the oil pan are made from two different metals (steel and aluminum) so the potential exists to strip the threads in the pan by running the bolt down too tight. This is not unual for newbies doing their first oil changes. So learn the right way to do things off the bat and you'll be better off in the long run.

Basically you'll need ramps, an oil drain pan, a ratchet/socket set of tools, an oil filter wrench, a torque wrench, funnel, drain bolt washer, thin latex kitchen glove, 1-gallon heavy duty freezer ZipLock bag, 5 quarts of oil, oil filter.

o Drive the car around your neighborhood until the temperature starts to come up some (not too hot).

o Put the ramps up to the front wheels and drive up on them (careful doing this).

o Put a tarp or heavy painter's cloth under the engine bay and position the drain pan under the oil pan.

o Remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine.

o With a latex glove on your strong hand, remove the drain plug (bolt) loosening it out by hand so that it doesn't fall into the drain pan.

o Let the oil drain until it drips.

o Clean the drain plug (bolt) and install a new aluminum washer on it.

o Thread the plug into the oil pan and tighten by hand.

o Remove the glove.

o With a torque wrench, finish tightening the plug to 29 ft/lbs (or 360 in/lbs).

o Move the drain pan over to a position under the oil filter which is on the passenger side of the engine.

o With your filter wrench, loosen the filter just enough to where you can continue to remove it by hand.

o Slip the 1-gallon ZipLock bag completely over the filter and a little above the pickup arm (this keeps residual oil from getting all over suspension parts, your driveway or garage, and you).

o Continue to remove the filter by hand, being careful to let it fall gently into the bag when it comes off.

o Examine the filter gasket mating surface on the pickup arm to make sure the old filter gasket did not pull off of the filter and stick to the pickup surface.

o Rub a light coat of engine oil onto the new filter gasket, then thread the filter onto the pickup.

o Tighten the new filter 3/4's of a turn AFTER contact with the pickup.

o Insert the funnel into the oil fill receptacle at the top of the engine and poor in 4.5 U.S. quarts of your fresh oil.

o Put the fill cap back on.

o Start the engine and when the oil icon light goes out, run the engine up to
around 2500 RPM for about 10 seconds.

o Go back down under the car and carefully check for any leaks around the drain plug and especially around the filter.

Congratulations, you're done.
Great write up. The only question I have is when to check the oil level after just putting in the 4.5 quarts? I get the 5qt jug and eyeball based on how much is left in the jug on what 4.5 quarts is. I want to make sure I don't need to top it off.

After putting in the oil, should I check the dipstick then? Or should I let the car run for a minute or two and then check the dipstick?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN
Great write up. The only question I have is when to check the oil level after just putting in the 4.5 quarts? I get the 5qt jug and eyeball based on how much is left in the jug on what 4.5 quarts is. I want to make sure I don't need to top it off.

After putting in the oil, should I check the dipstick then? Or should I let the car run for a minute or two and then check the dipstick?

Thanks!
Well technically, if you have put 4.5 quarts into the crankcase, you really don't need to check the dipstick, but I do it anyway. I do this so I can note where a full fill reads on my dipstick. The preferred way to check your oil is with the car on a level surface and with the engine having been off for 3-5 minutes or more. Best is in the morning. That way you don't have to wipe the dipstick clean before re-inserting it to get a reading. The oil would have had all night to drain into the pan and you reading will be the most accurate under those conditions.