Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doc fee question. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer doc fee question. Please help.

For people in California how much did you pay for dealer doc fees? Or any other extra fees that the dealer tries to add to the total? I know there are taxes, destination, and license/registration which all can't be avoided. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Emperor's New Clothes

Originally Posted by Kindred97
For people in California how much did you pay for dealer doc fees? Or any other extra fees that the dealer tries to add to the total? I know there are taxes, destination, and license/registration which all can't be avoided. Thanks for the help.
"Dealer Fees", "Document Fees", Preparation Charges, protection packages, paint sealant, etc.... are all scams to increase the dealer's profit. I don't pay them.

Freight, Sales Tax, and license/title fees are the only things that should be added to the negotiated car price.

If you choose to pay these bogus charges, you are adding to the dealer's bottom line and lose the ability to determine whether or not you got a good deal.

XP
Old 09-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the info Xpditor. I just want to know what Californians payed for a "doc fee". I've done some research and found a few places mentioning that in CA the "doc fee" is a set amount of 45 bucks. But I can't confirm the date of the articles/forums where I read that so I don't know if that changed or not. Are there no California TL owners out there willing to help me out? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:45 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

I paid $45 for "doc fee" & any other dealer fee's are just profit.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks xristos. So on top of the car price you only paid taxes, dest, license, and the 45 bucks? Nothing else?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Advanced

When I was buying mine (about a year ago) I said that I would not pay any document prep fees or anything else that sounded fishy. The dealer said that he could not waive the $45 "document preparation" fee, but he simply took the additional $45 off the price of the car. Go figure! There were no additional fees except for the $5 california tire recycling or something like that fee.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:06 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Originally Posted by Kindred97
Thanks xristos. So on top of the car price you only paid taxes, dest, license, and the 45 bucks? Nothing else?
$5 tire fee + $45 doc. fee = $50

Nothing else paid , just your regular taxes, title, and license fee's.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tallrussian
When I was buying mine (about a year ago) I said that I would not pay any document prep fees or anything else that sounded fishy. The dealer said that he could not waive the $45 "document preparation" fee, but he simply took the additional $45 off the price of the car. Go figure!
Same thing happened to me at a Toyota dealer. The salesperson swore that the $279 () doc fee could not be waived. When I walked out, they agreed to lower the price of the car by $279. Turns out the $279 fee is pre-printed on their forms, and their little software package that prints on the forms is also set up to automatically include this fee. I guess the dealership personnel just don't know how to override it.