Dash Scratch - Need Help and Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004 | 10:58 PM
clintrob

Dash Scratch - Need Help and Advice!

Ok here's the scoop... on delivery of my new 04 TL, I noticed a small 'scratch', maybe not even a scratch, but a 'mark', on what I will call the 'rubber' portion of the dash (the preferated (sp?) piece of the dash above the streering wheel that extends over to the center channel speaker..

the mark is in the upper left corner of the dash, right below where your inspection sticker goes if your state requires that... my guess is that whatever dumb service tech was installing my sticker, knicked this rubber with a ring, finger nail, watch, or something..

so anyways, I left the car at Acura for a day, for their 'leather repair guy' to take a look at it and try to remove it... long story short, they say they tried everything and cannot get it off or repaired... the only other option is to replace the entire upper portion of the dash.. so my questions are:

1. Has anyone else scratched this area, and do you know of a way to remove a mark?
2. Can this rubber portion be replaced seperately than the rest of the dash? the tech says no.
3. It is a small blemish, and the tech recommends not changing the dash and to 'stay with the factory install', but will replace it if I desire.. Has anyone else had a dash replaced? Does it lead to more problems, squeeks / rattles??

The mark is right in my line of sight, and i can't help but not look at it all the time.. I don't think i am being overly anal, it is a brand new car.. any feedback on the questions above is appreciated.. Thanks guys/gals!
Old 10-20-2004 | 11:29 PM
Gratis dictum

I would have it fixed. Otherwise, it will bug you forever. Let the techs do their job. I don't think you should anticipate that they will screw things up, or you will never get anything repaired. I hope it turns out well for you.
Old 10-21-2004 | 06:56 AM
Desi Pride

Just have them give you another SSM off the lot or find you one. If they do replace the dash, they are right the fit and finish might not be the same. I had and door panel replaced and the fit and finish is not the same. Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2004 | 07:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Do you have any pictures? Considering my experiences with Acura dealers around here, they will end up doing more damage than good. So, none of those products that are used on plastic parts worked!?
Old 10-21-2004 | 07:21 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I am in the same situation - contemplating the dash replacement. Mine is browning/discolored/faded or something on the right side despite my taking care to always have sun shade in and only using quality product like 303. But I am afraid of when I get it back and it rattles or they scratch the displays or ding the trim etc. I am probably gonna let it go.

The thing that keeps me thinking about it is - if you get in an accident and airbag deploys - they have to replace dash then - so it is not like it has never been done before right?

Don't know if I have the stones or patience to go for it.

Originally Posted by clintrob
Ok here's the scoop... on delivery of my new 04 TL, I noticed a small 'scratch', maybe not even a scratch, but a 'mark', on what I will call the 'rubber' portion of the dash (the preferated (sp?) piece of the dash above the streering wheel that extends over to the center channel speaker..

the mark is in the upper left corner of the dash, right below where your inspection sticker goes if your state requires that... my guess is that whatever dumb service tech was installing my sticker, knicked this rubber with a ring, finger nail, watch, or something..

so anyways, I left the car at Acura for a day, for their 'leather repair guy' to take a look at it and try to remove it... long story short, they say they tried everything and cannot get it off or repaired... the only other option is to replace the entire upper portion of the dash.. so my questions are:

1. Has anyone else scratched this area, and do you know of a way to remove a mark?
2. Can this rubber portion be replaced seperately than the rest of the dash? the tech says no.
3. It is a small blemish, and the tech recommends not changing the dash and to 'stay with the factory install', but will replace it if I desire.. Has anyone else had a dash replaced? Does it lead to more problems, squeeks / rattles??

The mark is right in my line of sight, and i can't help but not look at it all the time.. I don't think i am being overly anal, it is a brand new car.. any feedback on the questions above is appreciated.. Thanks guys/gals!
Old 11-06-2004 | 06:08 PM
Instructor

i know this is an old thread but i am wondering how things worked out. the dealer scratched and faded a small but very visible area when tryng to remove glue form my dash. they said they would replace the dash if they couldnt get the glue out. well the glue is gone but the scratchs and faded rubber is bothering me. didiyou guys get the dash replaced? if so how did it turn out?
Old 11-06-2004 | 10:16 PM
Advanced

I had the same problem, Acura fixed it without any charges...I think they made the scratch in the first place (for my case).
Old 11-07-2004 | 12:00 AM
Instructor

how did they fix it? did they replace the whole dash?
Old 11-07-2004 | 02:59 AM
Drifting

I wouldn't let them replace the entire dash just because of a scratch. The potential for more problems is far greater than a scratch. If it really bothers you, and the car is brand new, try and have them replace the car with a demo that has the same mileage. I know it sucks having a new car with a scratch, but in a few months, you will have more dings, dents, scratches, and you surely will forget about the scratch in the dash. It sucks, but life goes on.
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:31 AM
clintrob

I will let you know on wednesday how it goes... I am having the dash replaced on Monday and Tuesday. They ordered one in for me, I've already went by and looked at it.. In my case, my current dash has 3 blemishes on it. The main one being the scratch I described above (on the drivers side), then the rubber part isn't flush over the air vent on the drivers side, and there is a mark on the passenger side above the airbag.. I've got my fingers crossed the install goes well.
Old 11-07-2004 | 12:02 PM
Instructor

do you have any pics of the damage? i dont think mine is really that bad yet it does bother me.

at night it just looks alittle faded no big deal
http://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/dash1.JPG

in the sun it looks like a dark patch
http://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/dashinsun.JPG

and straight on you cant see it.
ttp://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/dash%20str80n.JPG

please let me know how it turns out..
Old 11-08-2004 | 06:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

couldn't see your pics

Originally Posted by flexte
do you have any pics of the damage? i dont think mine is really that bad yet it does bother me.

at night it just looks alittle faded no big deal
http://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/dash1.JPG

in the sun it looks like a dark patch
http://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/dashinsun.JPG

and straight on you cant see it.
ttp://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/dash%20str80n.JPG

please let me know how it turns out..
Old 11-08-2004 | 06:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Please let us know - I am very curious - thanks.

Originally Posted by clintrob
I will let you know on wednesday how it goes... I am having the dash replaced on Monday and Tuesday. They ordered one in for me, I've already went by and looked at it.. In my case, my current dash has 3 blemishes on it. The main one being the scratch I described above (on the drivers side), then the rubber part isn't flush over the air vent on the drivers side, and there is a mark on the passenger side above the airbag.. I've got my fingers crossed the install goes well.
Old 11-08-2004 | 10:43 PM
Instructor

hope tis works it seems the pics work for a little while then dont work.
Old 11-08-2004 | 11:48 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Old 11-09-2004 | 06:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A-TLvic882
no shit thats why i posted the pics about 5 times.
http://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/pics.htm
http://www20.brinkster.com/flexte/pics2.htm
Old 11-15-2004 | 02:40 PM
clintrob

Results

Ok guys, here's the results of the install, sorry it has taken me so long to respond, it's been a busy week or so..

All in all the install went well. Given the amount of work they had to do to get the dash out (remove the front seats, center console, and dash), they did a good job.

New dash: the new dash looks great, no scratches like the old one. All 3 of the blemishes I mentioned in my earlier post are now gone, and it looks alot better. Seeing it now, i like it much better without that scratch right in my line of sight.

New Dash Finish: The finish of the new dash was the same as the old one.. It matches the color of the interior just fine.

New dash fit: The fit of the dash is good, only to an astute observer (me) since i knew the first dash well, would be able to tell that anything had changed..

install damage, but fixed: while installing the dash, they scratched the passenger side plastic along the bottom door frame (im not sure the technical name for this)... but they replaced it with a brand new piece ON BOTH SIDES! for me.. both sides had minor scuffs prior to this visit, so my service tech said he just replaced both so they would look the same, which I thought was nice.

install damage, waiting to be fixed: on the drivers side, they broke the vent swivel (the plastic piece that moves left to right). They already ordered me a new one, and will pop it in next week.

additional benefit: it seems they fixed my glove box rattle in the process, which was driving me crazy. I forgot to mention it to them before dropping it off, but it doesn't rattle anymore!

So there it is, the results from my experience. Of course yours could be totally different, but I wanted to let you guys know how it went for me. Replacing the dash is definitely risky, but so far, I'm happy with the decision. no more scratches, and the 'bubble' on the left side above the vent is now gone.
Old 11-16-2004 | 10:01 PM
"HMS Ruby"

Now you just have to be really careful not to scratch the dash!
Old 04-16-2005 | 08:14 AM
jfp
Intermediate

Hello clintrob-

Did your dash on the passenger side have any depressions or impressions where the air bag is, either before or after the replacement?