3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creating the perfect TL headlight... Another headlight clearing adventure...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
See post 187... but that's not the feedback from the BMW community in the research I've done. Many of those run as Daytime Running Lights for years, and the most complaints I've seen is from folks with failed ballasts... which the universal answer is to replace it with the one from vibelights for $10.

What to do, what to do.

Can't please everyone.

As for 24 hours usage now... Headlights are near causing accidents. People pull up, look, pull up a bit more, look some more.... almost break there neck lookin, then get honked at when the light turns green becasue they're not pating attention. That's the Angel Eyese I'm sure.

ZKW is unreal at night. The cutoff os so sharp, it's like a freaking laser beam... a laser beam mounted to the head of a shark for that matter.

Soon as I figure out how to take good night picture with the d40, I'll snap some.
I hope your right about the angel eyes. Ive had mine in for about 9 months and they still are as bright as brand new (if not brighter but i think that my mind is playing tricks on me)

Kennedy those lights look sick.. I think I want to do the ZKW swap too.. Ill be waitin for those ZKW cutoff pics and night pics
Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
The Golden One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennedy you need to provide us with a write-up on how to take the lense off the E36 projector and make the necessary modifications to get it onto the TL projector.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by sunny201
Ill be waitin for those ZKW cutoff pics and night pics

Done right then following is what the output should look like, notice that the right side projector is from an 05+ TL with slope style cut off and the one on the left has 04 step style cut off.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
that's so F'n bright.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a little picture I snapped with the iphone this morning... Look how bright the angel eyes are at dusk:

Originally Posted by JnC
Done right then following is what the output should look like, notice that the right side projector is from an 05+ TL with slope style cut off and the one on the left has 04 step style cut off.
Yep, thats what they look like. Razor sharp cutoff, with the highest intensity AT the cutoff line. Proper headlight aiming is very important To be correct, the SLOPE style projector was introduced in 2006 (04-05's use step). I swapped out my 2006 slope projectors for 2005 step projectors. Teh step projector seems to be the preffered projector for ZKW retro.

Originally Posted by Ilya
Kennedy you need to provide us with a write-up on how to take the lense off the E36 projector and make the necessary modifications to get it onto the TL projector.
Really simple... Buy ZKW lenses from JnC, HidPlanet, or Ebay... Remove lens from projector and install:

Night pics of ZKdubs soon.

Originally Posted by sunny201
...if not brighter but i think that my mind is playing tricks on me)
I called the guys at Umnitza and asked about intensity fade. They refute JnC comment (as I would expect), but they did imply your comment, that the mercury/phoshhorous LIKES to be used and get brighter with time... and they are rated at 20,000 hours use. I'm still on the fence, but I'm gonna run em as DRLs for a little while, just for show.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
The Golden One

You said you made something custom to hold the ZKW lense in place if I recall correctly. That's what I was refering to?

I made the spacers you need to use the ZKW lens and installed that beauty, along with the Philips 85122+ bulb.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

When installing the ZKW lens, you need to place a very small (as in 1 mm) spacer between the lens and the lens holder. The spacer creates the near perfect alignment to achieve the sharpest light cutoff.

To create this spacer, I took the OE lens, and traced it on an old DVD plastic case. I then trimmed out the circle, and trimmed it further until it fit inside the lens holder.
You then commence to trimming out the center of the plastic circle until you're left with a plastic "washer" that's about 3mm wide.

Pop that washer/spacer into the lens holder, install ZKW lens, install chtrome retaining bracket. Done.

Fire up the projector and test at 30 feet. If the cutoff is not sharp, rotate the the lens 90 degrees and try again.

It's that easy.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
The Golden One

Thanks Kennedy. Appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Kennedy, great look you have there! The CF is sure to set in motion a new style. I was on the fence whether to copy you but I kept mine as is. It really goes with the car.

I declare December angel-eye month!! 3 of us did it in 1 month! That's crazy! You're right, it turns heads everywhere. I think we're the first among the 04-06s the other dudes had the 4 ring kit on Type-Ss.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:43 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I called the guys at Umnitza and asked about intensity fade. They refute JnC comment (as I would expect), but they did imply your comment, that the mercury/phoshhorous LIKES to be used and get brighter with time... and they are rated at 20,000 hours use. I'm still on the fence, but I'm gonna run em as DRLs for a little while, just for show.
wow thanks for that info, it definitely makes me feel less crazy lol. The only thing I dont like about them is that when its really cold they take a minute to get to full intensity
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
To be correct, the SLOPE style projector was introduced in 2006 (04-05's use step). I swapped out my 2006 slope projectors for 2005 step projectors. Teh step projector seems to be the preffered projector for ZKW retro.
Kennedy,

What's the reason/difference for the different projector? Is the slope vs step referring to the reflective portion of the projector?

Very nice work you've done there!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:25 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Kennedy,

What's the reason/difference for the different projector? Is the slope vs step referring to the reflective portion of the projector?

Very nice work you've done there!
It has to do with cutoff shield design.

See the difference in the "haknslash" pictures? The light "steps" up in 2004/2005 (left) but slopes up (right). The preffered cutoff is the older 04/05 step version with ZKW lens retro. Step seems to make a slightly cleaner cutoff line with the ZKW swap. I didn't compare, I just went with the experts advice.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...498&highlight=
Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
first time visiting this thread in a while. impressive

i think... the best headlights on a 3G yet? im feeling them

what bulbs do you intend on putting in ? temp?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
first time visiting this thread in a while. impressive

i think... the best headlights on a 3G yet? im feeling them

what bulbs do you intend on putting in ? temp?
I hope you saw the the other pics on page 9?

Dem's big words. I think they're the best on a 3G TL EVER... but only because they're mine. I certainly will claim the title of most WORK done on a set of headlights. I always thought ChicoOG's RRP colormatched with ZKW were awesome, part of the inspiration for me to go do a bit more. DGP, RRP, adn KBP look so nice body color matched opposed to the gray I used, but body coloring WDP would have been plain too much.

Like a 5 year old, I have an answer/justification for everything.

I prefer the older style headlight:
- higher mounted 55W fogs opposed to lower mounted (TSX style) 35W fogs on the 2007. OG TL
- The new headlights double angel eye setup is really cool looking, but very BMWesque... The older style with one ring is really unique, never seen that before. It should keep the "your biting on BMW shit" wanker comments away.

I'm ot the first with ZKW, not the first to colormatch, not the first to led, not the first to mask the reflector lens, and rocky beat me to the punch to be the first 04/06 angel eye. First with CF accents, First to colormatch the fog "nipple"... and first to "do it all at once".

I used Phillips 85122+ bulbs. They're considered somewhere between 4300-5000K. I chose them because they are 2-300 lumens brighter than anything else out there. No they're not "OMFG my headlights are blue" blue. ZKW is about optimum light output for the most effective headlight you can have, not adding color at the expense of output.

I've only raised the bar for the next guy.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Kennedy,

Nice work Really, really like the combo of things you have done. Great DYI
Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
It has to do with cutoff shield design.

See the difference in the "haknslash" pictures? The light "steps" up in 2004/2005 (left) but slopes up (right). The preffered cutoff is the older 04/05 step version with ZKW lens retro. Step seems to make a slightly cleaner cutoff line with the ZKW swap. I didn't compare, I just went with the experts advice.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...498&highlight=
I see, it's the hi/lo shield shape.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

For anyone wanting to do the carbon fiber headlight mod, I have complete b-pillar cover leftover from this project, MORE than enough to do another set of headlights...

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-carbon-fiber-trim-custom-projects-383497/
Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Kennedy, great look you have there! The CF is sure to set in motion a new style. I was on the fence whether to copy you but I kept mine as is. It really goes with the car.

I declare December angel-eye month!! 3 of us did it in 1 month! That's crazy! You're right, it turns heads everywhere. I think we're the first among the 04-06s the other dudes had the 4 ring kit on Type-Ss.

I guess I missed you guys by a month. I just finished mine last night...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
any more hott pics of our cars headlights... im clearing mines soon very soon... i like that angeleye stuff
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
UCFneo

Hey I had a quick question. Im getting angel eyes installed on my 2004 TL from light wurkz, however, the 2004 headlights only have 1 projector on each headlight. I called the guy today at Light Wurkz and he told me that I have to buy a brand new set up TL-S headlights so they can open it up and take the housing or shroud (the second projector housing) from it and put it on my current headlight.

http://www.lightwurkz.com/new/projec...063UMNITZA.jpg

I definetly think thats a waste of money to spend $800 on 2 new headlights just to open it up and take the housing out. Does anyone know where I could just get that housing or second projector housing so I dont have to buy brand new headlights? If anyone is selling theirs, please let me know, I'll definetly buy them off!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Internal headlight housing NOT sold seperately from headlight.

New headlights: - $800
Ebay, used: - $350-$400
Installing 1 ring per existing headlight: +$70-80 because you can sel the leftover 2 rings to another 04-06 owner. That's what I did.

You may need new ballasts too, as they changed those in 2006. Fog lights won't fit in 2007 headlight housings either...

Keep it simple, 1 ring per headlight.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
UCFneo

Nice how did you power your angel eyes without having to turn on your parking lights? Do they automatically come on when you power your car regardless of whether your not your parking/headlights are on?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:27 PM
UCFneo

Do you like having 1 ring per headlight? Does it still look nice? Also are they bright enough where you can notice them during the day? I really want to do this on my car, but I dont have any tools or the space to work on this. On top of that Im very mechanically challenged so I'm worried that if I try this on my own, I might really screw it up. Another concern I have is that if its not sealed properly I may end up getting moisture and condensation in the headlight. One more question...haha sorry, but is there any way to install the second ring or at least making it firmly stay there without having to install the second projector? I really like two rings on each side. Any thoughts?
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Rule #1 = read this thread before you ask any more questions.

To answer these q's:

1) Power: See page 7-8. I spliced the eye wiring into the windshield wiper primary wiring, I provide a cross link showing where the wire is. Yes, the rings are on anytime the car is switched on... very convenient, and clean. You can see them clearly in all but DIRECT sunlight during they day. They're very bright.

2) Like 1 ring: Yes. I actually prefer one ring per... 2 rings is far too much associated with BMWs. 2 rings is nice too, but 2 many haters say, "stop bitin BMW shit... Noone has a single ring.

3) Does it look nice?
You tell me...

4) See during the day: See q1 answer

5) Install a second set? No way. It would look... wrong. If you want both rings, you need new headlights.

6) Help: Wish I could. I'm local, you could come down for a few pointers, but no way am I doing this again. Your best bet, and no gaurantee, is to hit up Dennis at imodify.com. He may not do angel eyes...
He recently hurt his hand, but will be back in action soon.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
IMO do 2 even 3 rings lmao... its ur car if ppl hate on it 4get them they just jealous cuz they dont have those angel eyez on there car
Old 02-27-2008, 10:19 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

i like it better with 1 ring..it reminds me on the terminator..
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

i like it better with 1 ring..it reminds me of the terminator..
Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't get it, why exactly is such a dramatic cutoff on the headlights a good thing? They are not only supposed to illuminate the road but also objects far ahead of you so you can see them and stop or avoid them in time if needed.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
TeZZeeY

5) Install a second set? No way. It would look... wrong. If you want both rings, you need new headlights.
i did 2 rings and personally i like them better than one, but thats just me.
and no you don't need to get new headlights to run 2 rings if you don't have the second projector, you just have to get a lil creative

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by AZP-TL
I don't get it, why exactly is such a dramatic cutoff on the headlights a good thing? They are not only supposed to illuminate the road but also objects far ahead of you so you can see them and stop or avoid them in time if needed.
having a better cutoff means you can aim your lights better and not glare at anyone. sure, there's plenty of people with hid kits that glare into other drivers, but do you want to be idiots like them? the TL already has great output/cutoff. as long as they are aimed properly, there is no problem lighting up people/stuff in front of the car.

Originally Posted by Tezzeey
and no you don't need to get new headlights to run 2 rings if you don't have the second projector, you just have to get a lil creative
sorry but that looks really weird (floating CCFL) and cheap (bare CCFL rings vs. thick width rings w/ reflectors)
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rp_guy
having a better cutoff means you can aim your lights better and not glare at anyone. sure, there's plenty of people with hid kits that glare into other drivers, but do you want to be an idiot like them? the TL already has great output/cutoff. as long as they are aimed properly, there is no problem light up people/stuff in front of the car.
sorry but that looks really weird (floating CCFL) and cheap (bare CCFL rings vs. thick width rings w/ reflectors)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

eek... That's not for me at all. I'll stick to my lowly single ring per headlight.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
TeZZeeY

yah i kinda see what u guys are sayin about the two, but i like how if at night you can see the inside halo when the headlights are on.... i think ill just run the outside lights on one ballast and the inside on the other and control them individually..
Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM
ghlazu

hey whats up people I own a 06 tl and just put my wheels on it. I've been getting lots of comliments.I wanted to know if i can purchase the angel eyes for my car allready done instead of taking mine out and sending them away.Also wanted to know of any meets in or near the bronx does'nt matter if i have to travel just wanted to get new ideas for my car.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM
A-SpecBlackout

awsome info!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

7 months...

Halos going strong, now on switchbacks.

Still the hottest headlights on the forum... Lights takes runner-up.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts

Still the hottest headlights on the forum... ......

Hands Down, "G" .
Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rule #1 = read this thread before you ask any more questions.

To answer these q's:

1) Power: See page 7-8. I spliced the eye wiring into the windshield wiper primary wiring, I provide a cross link showing where the wire is. Yes, the rings are on anytime the car is switched on... very convenient, and clean. You can see them clearly in all but DIRECT sunlight during they day. They're very bright.
Really sorry to ask but I reread the entire thread and could not find it. Did the thread get cleand up?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by bent09
Really sorry to ask but I reread the entire thread and could not find it. Did the thread get cleand up?
Yep... at one it diverted down the wrong path over cheap knock off HID bulbs, and thier sources.

What do you need help with?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Lights takes runner-up.
i'm honored...

Quick Reply: Creating the perfect TL headlight... Another headlight clearing adventure...