Coupe TL ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004 | 01:20 PM
7th Gear

Coupe TL ???

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and am considering purchase of new generation TL. Before I get real serious, I like coupes and I am curious if anyone has heard of any news from Acura insiders or those in the business who might know if there will ever be a 2-door coupe version of this car in the production plans for some time in the future. Also, I love the interior, a non-german manufacturer finally got this right and it is awesome, but I just don't like the steering wheel that much and am curious if there is a sport version 3 spoke variation available something like the one available on the less expensive TSX...? Any news ?? Thanks for your help, this forum is a great teacher and source of much useful information. LogansRun
Old 01-14-2004 | 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

The CL (a TL coupe) was cancelled in 2003. Low sales were the reason. It was available with a 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic.

There are no credible or even semi-credible rumors of a coupe return for Acura.
Old 01-14-2004 | 01:26 PM
What's a TL?

Re: Coupe TL ???

Originally posted by LogansRun
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and am considering purchase of new generation TL. Before I get real serious, I like coupes and I am curious if anyone has heard of any news from Acura insiders or those in the business who might know if there will ever be a 2-door coupe version of this car in the production plans for some time in the future. Also, I love the interior, a non-german manufacturer finally got this right and it is awesome, but I just don't like the steering wheel that much and am curious if there is a sport version 3 spoke variation available something like the one available on the less expensive TSX...? Any news ?? Thanks for your help, this forum is a great teacher and source of much useful information. LogansRun

I had the last generation TL coupe (CL) and now have the 04 TL. I am a coupe guy myself, but I have to say that the current car I have has coupe performance and feel, but with 2 bonus doors. The car is not cumbersome to drive, in fact, this car is a bit shorter than my CL was (according to the stats I remember). Take the car out for a drive, and you will see that 2 more doors does not equal boring family sedan

As far as an alternate wheel...no such luck. There are just too many controls on this wheel to try and fit on a sportier looking wheel.
Old 01-14-2004 | 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Four doors does eqaul a b pillar that tends to get in the way of my peripheral vision. That's my only argument in favor of a coupe. Man, I sometimes miss my dark green '95 Legend Coupe...that was such a great car, but it became obsolete because of all the new technology. :
Old 01-14-2004 | 03:32 PM
Rum Runner

Re: Re: Coupe TL ???

Originally posted by VTEC=happiness
I had the last generation TL coupe (CL) and now have the 04 TL. I am a coupe guy myself, but I have to say that the current car I have has coupe performance and feel, but with 2 bonus doors. The car is not cumbersome to drive, in fact, this car is a bit shorter than my CL was (according to the stats I remember). Take the car out for a drive, and you will see that 2 more doors does not equal boring family sedan
Yeah, but a 2-door with all this new tech stuff would be really cool.
Old 01-14-2004 | 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Ain't gonna happen, so stop dreaming.
Old 01-14-2004 | 03:43 PM
Rum Runner

Originally posted by rude1116
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka
Old 01-14-2004 | 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rude1116
I wouldn't say that. Acura stays competive with BMW and now Infinity. There are too many people that want to drive a coupe. I personaly think there will be a coupe. Maybee not a TL, but Acura will put something out there in a few years. They need something more uniqe. The CL was too similler to the sedan. The G35 coupe is smaller and more powerfull than the sedan. Maybee we will see something similler.
Old 01-14-2004 | 04:58 PM
Racer

The A-Spec gets a special stearing wheel.
Old 01-14-2004 | 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
The A-Spec gets a special stearing wheel.
What does that have to do with a TL coupe?
Old 01-14-2004 | 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ken1997TL
There are no credible or even semi-credible rumors of a coupe return for Acura.
In addition, based on the fact that the last two CLs were big sales disappointments and that the "new" coupe would be TL based and therefore FWD in a RWD world, I would not bet on seeing a new CL.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JeffS
In addition, based on the fact that the last two CLs were big sales disappointments and that the "new" coupe would be TL based and therefore FWD in a RWD world, I would not bet on seeing a new CL.
I agree, you will never see a CL coupe. But to say Acura will never offer a powerfull sport coupe is silly. Give them a few years. And the first gen CL was a good seller. Sales started to fall the last few years.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:10 PM
Racer

Originally posted by JPTLS03
What does that have to do with a TL coupe?
he wants a different steering wheel as well.

As far as a coupe... No way thats going to happen.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:17 PM
rarely registered user

Maybe a new CL will do for the Accord coupe what the TL did for the Accord.

Then again, maybe not. There is no question that the G-35 coupe has been a success for infinity... but isn't that rear wheel drive?
Old 01-14-2004 | 08:03 PM
Instructor

I wanna see a CL soon.
Old 01-14-2004 | 11:01 PM
Intermediate

I have to agree with acuraddict about the b pillar.
I have been driving coupes just about forever until the TL. I found the blind spot it created really annoying, at least for the first couple of weeks. I'm kinda getting used to it now.

That is one of my few complaints with the TL. Overall the visibility could be better. The rear view is especially limited. Originally the rear head rests were all the way up. That, combined with the wing spoiler and the limited visibility and the b pillars on the sides, and the wide pillars on each side of the windshield gave significantly worse visibility than my Prelude this car replaced.

I put the head rests down to their lowest positions, and I'm getting used to it, but I'm still a little nervous switching lanes that there is someone in one of my blind spots. I rely on my mirrors more than in previous cars.

Overall though I really like the car, and the extra doors do make it easier when I have the kids in the car.