Condensation in tails?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:40 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Condensation in tails?

So I've had my type-s tails on the car for about 4 months now, never had any issues (That I've seen). Today I go through the carwash and I notice that my right rear tail is fogged up.

I wash my car fairly regularly (3-4 times a week) and have never had an issue. Can our tails form condensation from it being a chilly day outside, and using a heated water carwash? Almost like the natural humidity in the tail condensed on the lens?

Or do you think I'm gonna have to pull the tails and replace the seal? I was extra careful to make sure the OEM seal was lined up when I snapped everything together - but it was so smashed and crusty that it probably didn't make much difference.

Anyone here have similar experiences? And what are the odds of this clearing itself up without me having to pull everything apart again?

BTW - I checked closely and cannot find even a drop of water in the bottom of the lenses, so it doesnt appear "water" got into the tails. Its just fogged between the red inner, and the outter type-s clear cover (Hopefully that made sense with how the tails are 2 layers)
Old 05-21-2008 | 01:26 PM
Quiet, Rika Neenja!

I'm pretty sure there is a break in a seal somewhere. humid air has entered the light, with moisture dissolved in the air. the inner surface of the tail light lens cooled down because of the car wash water and thusly some of the moisture came out of the air and stuck to the lens. this can quite likely eventually stain the inside of the lens, and is unlikely to go away if it's anything like headlight moisture issues...
Old 05-21-2008 | 01:39 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

So I guess that leaves me with 2 follow up questions.

1) Whats the best way t oremove the moisture that's there? Can I just wipe it out with a paper towel or something and let it sit in the sun fora little bit before sealing it up?

2) Do you think I should order replacement OEM seals that haven't been compressed already and can re-seal themselves rather than me trying to keep all of the compression grooves matched up? Or do I just get some silicone and seal the tails as you do for headlight clearings? I seriously doubt that I will ever need to open the tails back up as long as I keep the moisture out. Plus, it's not like you can't just razor yourself an opening if absolutely needed.
Old 05-21-2008 | 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

check the turn signal bulb to see if it fits properly
Old 05-22-2008 | 04:20 PM
Racer

yeah i noticed a bit in mine yesterday when i washed my car with the wand at the car wash...i'll check the turn sig. bulbs asap
Old 05-22-2008 | 09:30 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Let me know how that works out for you. I actually see some condensation resting at the bottom of the tails now. Weird since i have never noticed this before.

I am leaving town for the weekend, so I have no time to deal with this now - but if i had an idea, it would be helpful.

Anyone think that the "rolled caulking" that you buy for around your tub would be a bad idea? I think if I put a beat around the LED's and snapped everything together - I'd be set.
Old 05-23-2008 | 12:10 AM
The WDP Noob

mine too
Old 05-23-2008 | 07:08 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Damn 07 TL's. Have leaky taillights. My 04 never leaked. They outta out out a TSB on this
Old 05-23-2008 | 07:27 AM
Happy 08 TL-S Owner

My 08 TLS has done the same thing on a few occasions (same right tail light lens). When I took it into the dealership for an oil change, I had them take a look at it. Of course, they said nothing was wrong. I guess I'll have to either take a look at it myself or keep bugging the dealership.
Good to know I'm not the only one that has had that problem.
Old 05-23-2008 | 09:13 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Let me know how that works out for you. I actually see some condensation resting at the bottom of the tails now. Weird since i have never noticed this before.
the condensation on the very bottom is normal after a wash since the lense is clear/transparent and it's actually outside, but not sure how water/moisture got inside the taillight assembly.
Old 05-23-2008 | 09:45 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Yea - this isn't condensation behind the 1" clear part that overhangs. I can actually see where there are little water droplets resting on the top of the chromed piece just behind the clear lense.

So that pretty much tells me that water either entered in through the turn bulb socket, or through the LED board seal.

Neither of these really seems that feasible though if you ask me.

Question for some of you others having this issue - are your tails OEM, or did you do a conversion? I have an 04 TL that I have put the type-s tails on.

If it appears the conversions are leakers - I'd put my money on the LED seal being bad. (Although I have no idea how in the hell actual water would get to the back side of the tails)

If any of you are having this problem with an OEM setup - then I bet it's going to be the turn bulb. This at least would make a little sense since the bulb is kind of off to the side, and i could see a blast from a pressure washer maybe getting back there. (the car wash has people standing there doing a pre-soak before you enter)

Now that I have gone through the reasoning stage of my troubleshooting - I'm gonna start with resealing the tail bulb assembly with a foam washer (stealing the idea from the headlights). This seems like a better start then pulling my bumper again.

Now.. for getting the moisture out of there. Do you think pulling the bulb and sitting the car in the sun would work? Maybe using a blow dryer to heat up the light a little (wouldn't trust myself with a heat gun to those clear lenses). If I pull the tails - I don't even know if I am going to be able to get at the moisture since it's in the front side of th red reflectors. Pulling the LED boards isn't going to get me the access I need. Maybe if I leave a saltine cracker in my tails like you do in the sugar container to keep it from clumping...... hmm

"There goes that crazy cracker again"
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:10 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

where did you get the TLS tails?
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:14 AM
Racer

got mine from an acura dealership that sells them on ebay...

Originally Posted by enigmaos
where did you get the TLS tails?
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:24 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

From Tim. I have even wondered if I can bring my car to the stealership and ask them to fix it? It may not have been standard for the car, but these are at least OEM lights, and technically an OEM fit. maybe something they could look at while I'm in for the 2 TSB's (if I ever get around to scheduling that)
Old 05-23-2008 | 10:32 AM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

GLowrde, check with Tim to see what he can do.

izmyttz, check with seller/dealer about it for replacement.
Old 06-28-2008 | 12:32 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Back from the dead...

So it took me long enough - and now I have staining inside the lense.

But - I think I took care of that by basically filling the light with distilled water, and rinsing it out. This way I don't fill the light with whatever crap is in my hard drinking water.

Well - it doesn't appear the light itself has any leak issues. I did notice however, that when I pulled the LED board out, you can see a crease in the seal that was not part of the indent left factory.

This tells me that the seal rolled hen I was putting the LED board back in - and this is probably the culprit.

2 questions though... I have the lights sitting outside in the sun right now with no LED board or turn signal. Is this enough to dry them out? Otherwise I thought about setting them on my dehumidifier and letting it blow dry air in there for a few hours / days.

Also - for sealing the lights.... I was thinking about going to home depot and buying the pre-rolled caulking that you can buy for like tubs and such. Otherwise I could just use a bead of silicon - I have some really nice stuff that is crystal clear (wifey works for a construction company doing sales).

What are your opinions on sealing? I'm gonna do both since I have it all tore apart. (oh, and I figure I probably will never have to get into the lights again, so I'm not worried about siliconing it shut)
Old 06-28-2008 | 05:38 PM
Trucki!!

you wash your car 3-4 times a week?
Old 06-28-2008 | 07:29 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

During the summer - yes. In the winter I wash it every day. Sometimes twice a day. I have an unlimited car wash card for a full service car wash by my house. It's one of the nicer ones that's fully manned at all times, not one that will blast my paint off the sides of my car.

I got the condensation out of the light by placing it upside down (lense side up) on top of my dehumidifer on high. Took about an hour for it to clear up.

It looks like I missed a few droplets when I was pouring the water out that left little water marks though - so I filled it back up again with water, and tilted it ever so slowly and made sure I didn't leave little droplets.

Already dry from the second time I did it too. So tomorrow I will make the trip to HD and pick up some silicon and seal those puppies shut.
Old 06-28-2008 | 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn, you wash your car alot! I hope it's touchless?
Old 06-28-2008 | 07:40 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Here is what happened by the way. I don't think there is anything I can do about it...
(As far as I know, there was never 1 inch of water in my tails - I think it's how the condensation collected, and reforms in the bottom of the light anytime it heats up)

Old 06-29-2008 | 10:05 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

ck april 07 services bulletin

Water on Top of the Taillight
Housing? It’s Not a Leak
Currently Applies To: ’07 TLs
The ’07 TL comes with clear taillight lenses instead
of those familiar red lenses seen on earlier models.
Because these lenses are now clear, it’s possible to
see water sitting on top of the taillight housing after
the vehicle has been washed or rained on.
Don’t replace the taillight—it’s not leaking. The water
you see isn’t really inside the taillight and it doesn’t
affect the workings of the brake lights or the running
lights. Over time, that water will simply evaporate, but
if you don’t want to wait that long, it blows out easily
with compressed air.
Old 06-29-2008 | 11:00 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

That woul be great, but it's not my issue. They are talking about water getting behind the 1/32" clear lip around the tails themselves. There is a very slight overlap from where they seal the taillights - that water can get behind.

I actually had a leaky taillight.