Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Yeah, the 6-speeds have cooler drivers
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance tires were optional. I have a 2006 6mt with original all season michelin tires. They need to be replaced after 5 years and 22k miles.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I suppose none of us has mentioned the far higher amount of brake dust associated with those Brembos!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I'm new to this forum....

I noticed you guys forgot a big one in the differences...

Here is a little excerpt from the www.hondanews.com website about torque steer with the 06 TL

"Torque steer (the tendency for some front wheel drive cars to pull to the left or right during hard acceleration, especially in a turn) can be accentuated in high-performance front wheel drive cars when they are equipped with a limited slip differential. For 2006, Acura has taken steps to reduce torque steer in TLs equipped with a manual transmission. When the TL is in first or second gear, input from gear position, speed and steering angle sensors is used by the ECU to reduce power during acceleration, thus reducing torque steer. In first gear, torque can be reduced between 13 and 27 percent at full throttle, while in second gear, torque is reduced between zero and 10 percent. Torque output is reduced proportionately based on steering input--the larger the steering angle, the greater the reduction in torque. For those desiring maximum possible acceleration switching off the VSA also eliminates this torque reduction. This steering enhancement allows the TL to maintain the sporty, fun-to-drive character while providing more precise steering control."

Does anyone at all have any experience with this??? I am going to buy an Acura TL 6MT soon but I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy a 06 for this feature...What would you guys suggest? Is the torque steer really that bad? This is the only thing that is troubling me with this car. It's either this or the s60 t5, but Im pretty solid on the acura. Thanks everyone
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by akajambas
Hey I'm new to this forum....

I noticed you guys forgot a big one in the differences...

Here is a little excerpt from the www.hondanews.com website about torque steer with the 06 TL

"Torque steer (the tendency for some front wheel drive cars to pull to the left or right during hard acceleration, especially in a turn) can be accentuated in high-performance front wheel drive cars when they are equipped with a limited slip differential. For 2006, Acura has taken steps to reduce torque steer in TLs equipped with a manual transmission. When the TL is in first or second gear, input from gear position, speed and steering angle sensors is used by the ECU to reduce power during acceleration, thus reducing torque steer. In first gear, torque can be reduced between 13 and 27 percent at full throttle, while in second gear, torque is reduced between zero and 10 percent. Torque output is reduced proportionately based on steering input--the larger the steering angle, the greater the reduction in torque. For those desiring maximum possible acceleration switching off the VSA also eliminates this torque reduction. This steering enhancement allows the TL to maintain the sporty, fun-to-drive character while providing more precise steering control."

Does anyone at all have any experience with this??? I am going to buy an Acura TL 6MT soon but I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy a 06 for this feature...What would you guys suggest? Is the torque steer really that bad? This is the only thing that is troubling me with this car. It's either this or the s60 t5, but Im pretty solid on the acura. Thanks everyone
i never driven an auto TL, but I can tell you that at a stop light taking a right or left hand turn will result in torque steer at full throttle. things get pretty squirrley pretty fast. I have learned not to take turns at full throttle.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

But since you have an 06 that makes me wonder about the 04 and 05 versions ya know? Your car has the torque system (and the nav that I want too) Does it have torque steer at full throttle only?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
My '06 5at had bad torque steer when new. With a set of sticky tires, none whatsoever now.

I think we need to clarify one thing though. I think we're getting true torque steer confused with tire spin that makes the wheel jerk left and right. In fact tire spin is what I was referring to above. With no spin, any pulling to the side (true torque steer) is nearly non existent.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
My '06 5at had bad torque steer when new. With a set of sticky tires, none whatsoever now.

I think we need to clarify one thing though. I think we're getting true torque steer confused with tire spin that makes the wheel jerk left and right. In fact tire spin is what I was referring to above. With no spin, any pulling to the side (true torque steer) is nearly non existent.
I am due for new tires soon.
will let you know!

akajambas.....I have to think ahead of turns and think about how much throttle to give while thinking about what gear i am in.
if i get it on half throttle in first, squirrely heaven....cannot accelerate through the full RPM band, during a turn. right as soon as i'm exiting the apex of the turn, I HAVE TO BE IN 2nd GEAR. then i can mash all i want.
straight line, i can accelerate through 1st gear, without torque steer.

with a rwd car, i can just mash the gas through a turn without thinking too much and just focus on the road.

I just re-read that, and that was horrible.
let me know if you want me to clear things up.

Last edited by justnspace; 02-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
will let you know!

akajambas.....I have to think ahead of turns and think about how much throttle to give while thinking about what gear i am in.
if i get it on half throttle in first, squirrely heaven....cannot accelerate through the full RPM band, during a turn. right as soon as i'm exiting the apex of the turn, I HAVE TO BE IN 2nd GEAR. then i can mash all i want.

with a rwd car, i can just mash the gas through a turn without thinking too much and just focus on the road.

You're in Houston, get the Nitto NT05! You will love it. Even wet traction is great. The only thing I would worry about is deep standing water.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM

You're in Houston, get the Nitto NT05! You will love it. Even wet traction is great. The only thing I would worry about is deep standing water.
shit, shes a garage queen. she doesnt get driven during the raiN!!!!!!
the only thing i'm worried about is tire life.
but i see that you drive pretty hard, and have no problems...how many miles can you go on the NT05?
I'm about to go for 255s as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Team Owner

Honestly, 20,000 miles but that's with spirited driving. Luckily that's 3-4 years now vs 1 year when I used to commute a lot.

I won't get into details in this thread but I got to compare the NT05 against some full race R compound tires and the Nittos are IMO a better street tire. Going to dig up the old NT05 thread now and post my results.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Honestly, 20,000 miles but that's with spirited driving. Luckily that's 3-4 years now vs 1 year when I used to commute a lot.

I won't get into details in this thread but I got to compare the NT05 against some full race R compound tires and the Nittos are IMO a better street tire. Going to dig up the old NT05 thread now and post my results.
no, ive read your post and fully agree with you. ive only driven 9,000 miles in less than 1 year.
in a couple of months, I will get the Nittos. thank you sir.
right now rockin the Eagle GT's

Last edited by justnspace; 02-01-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Cruisin'

will let you know!

Haha nah it clears things up, makes sense too with a FWD. I doubt I will be flooring it out of corners very often lol so I don't think it will really apply to me, unless I make it that way. Buuut I might save the extra coin and go for an IS350 though...those cars are really expensive though compared to the acura TL. But at the same time they are rockets. Obviously as you can see I am attracted to reliability and power just like everrrryone else. But thanks for clearing things up
Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chessie724
I don't see it mentioned, but I thought I've read here that the "sportier" suspension of the 04-06 6MT vs. 04-06 5AT was not just firmer, but about a half inch lower ride-height. Am I remembering that right or no?
You are thinking of the optional A-Spec package. Most of the pricey package was cosmetic, so I just purchased the suspension bits. The springs and shocks were re-valved (for a firmer and less floaty ride) and ride height was indeed dropped. Adding the 18" wheels and 245/40 tires made a nice performance improvement.

rw
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This thread reminds me I need to track down a 6mt spare. If I had a flat on the front right now I would be out of luck. Not sure if the 6mt spare will clear the Rotoras but the 5at has no chance in hell of clearing.

As far as I know suspension changes were limited to swaybars.
I almost sure the sway bars are the same for both cars, manual or automatic transmission.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by jdm_94-07TypeS
I almost sure the sway bars are the same for both cars, manual or automatic transmission.
one is thicker!
guess which one.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04SatinSilverSixSpeed
Folks, here is the list so far. I think one of the moderators should really consider making this list a "sticky" when I completely finish it.

6-speed differences:

Transmission – the 6-speed has one additional gear more than the auto (obvious, but has important differences like faster acceleration, greater durability, and improved gas mileage - rated at 20/30 for the manual and 20/28 for the automatic)

2. Limited Slip Differential

3. Brembo 4 piston front brake calipers

4. Front discs (Brembo ventilated 12.2 inches diameter and .98 inches thickness for the manual; Ventilated (non-Brembo) 11.4 inches diameter and 1.1 inches thickness for the automatic)

5. Stiffer front and rear anti-roll bars (27.2mm X 5.0mm front and 20mm rear for the 6-speed vs 25.4mm X 4.5mm front and 17mm rear for the auto)

6. Performance tires (originally, but doesn’t really matter now considering that very few drivers are using their original tires)

7. 17" spare wheel & tire (as opposed to the auto's 16" black donut)

8. Weight (3489lbs fully loaded vs 3582lbs fully loaded for the automatic)

9. Weight distribution (59.9/40.1 for the manual fully loaded vs 61.2/38.8 for the auto fully loaded)

Any other differences?

07-08 Tl-S with automatic transmission has Brembo brakes too
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Instructor

one is thicker!
guess which one.

They have same manufacturer part number, that's mean they are exactly the same.