Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control on at all times

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control on at all times

I just noticed that I cannot shut off the automatic climate control completely. If I hit the off button, the auto climate is suppose to go off. Well the light on the display does go off. However if I then proceed to increase the fan speed, the air that is coming in is actually altered by the AC or heat depending on what temp setting you have it set. I cannot get outside air AS IS. I noticed it just recently as the temperature around here is just perfect to be driving with the windows down and the sunroof open. However, the air coming out of the fan outlets are a tad colder as I have the interior temp display at 25 C. This is with AC off and just the fan setting at 3 bars and with no Auto on the display. I talked to the service guy at the dealership and he confirmed this. You cannot shutoff the automatic climate control completely. The only difference is in the Auto mode the Climate control will try to cool it down ASAP by adjusting the speed of the fan. With it off, the temp will adjust at what ever speed you have it blowing. This sucks, as I don't want the AC on and wasting gas if I want to drive with the windows down. Yeah, I can increase the temp, etc but why can't I just shut off the automatic feature. 2nd dealership is geting back to me to confirm what the 1st one said.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
huh? press off it goes off. youll always have some air coming throught the vents. and the air temp will effected by what the temp setting was left at. but the ac does not function when the system is off.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Cruisin'

Service guy at the dealership told me this. Even when you shutoff the AC and have just the fan on, Your AC will still be on if your temperature is set below outside temp. I don't know if he is right or there is something wrong with my climate control and he is just giving me some bs.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A/C button

You have to press the A/C button on the right to turn off the A/C, even if you're running in manual mode.

Press the button and a "A/C off" indictor will come on or go off depending on the systems state.

With the "A/C off" showing you'll get just outside air flow and no cooling.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

service guys wrong
Old 06-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

the a/c off indicator has to be lit in order for the a/c not to be running.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Team Anthracite Member

just another of many examples where the service guys have no clue.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Instructor

the service guy is CORRECT, if your inside temp is set below the outside temp, the AC will be running, unless u turn the AC off by pressing the AC button and it says AC off on the display
Old 06-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garuda
I talked to the service guy at the dealership and he confirmed this. You cannot shutoff the automatic climate control completely.
wrong.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by deandorsey
huh? press off it goes off. youll always have some air coming throught the vents. and the air temp will effected by what the temp setting was left at. but the ac does not function when the system is off.

You should not have air coming in the vents if you change the settings to recycle the cabin air.

The A/C is on by default to remove the moisture from the air. If you want outside air as is, make sure the setting is for fresh air, turn on the fan via manual mode, and press the A/C button to turn it off. If you are on the highway, you probably won't need to turn on the fan at all, the air should just rush right in.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Shift_faster

1. To turn it off completely = hit "Off". To stop ANY air from coming in, hit the "Recirculate button" (seems to work for me).

2. To turn just the A/C off = hit the "A/C" button and the A/C will not be on, just the fan (you will see "A/C off" message on the screen. To then adjust the fan speed press the "up" or "down" arrows.

I have the non-navi, but I don't think it is any different w/ the Navi.

edit: just realized that apwalsh and kosh2258 basically said what I just said. Oops.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Here is the solution

Originally Posted by garuda
I just noticed that I cannot shut off the automatic climate control completely. If I hit the off button, the auto climate is suppose to go off. Well the light on the display does go off. However if I then proceed to increase the fan speed, the air that is coming in is actually altered by the AC or heat depending on what temp setting you have it set. I cannot get outside air AS IS. I noticed it just recently as the temperature around here is just perfect to be driving with the windows down and the sunroof open. However, the air coming out of the fan outlets are a tad colder as I have the interior temp display at 25 C. This is with AC off and just the fan setting at 3 bars and with no Auto on the display. I talked to the service guy at the dealership and he confirmed this. You cannot shutoff the automatic climate control completely. The only difference is in the Auto mode the Climate control will try to cool it down ASAP by adjusting the speed of the fan. With it off, the temp will adjust at what ever speed you have it blowing. This sucks, as I don't want the AC on and wasting gas if I want to drive with the windows down. Yeah, I can increase the temp, etc but why can't I just shut off the automatic feature. 2nd dealership is geting back to me to confirm what the 1st one said.
I, too, like to just run with outside air, as is, at times. I have found a trick that works to do this. TURN SYSTEM OFF. THEN PRESS MODE BUTTON UNTIL THE AIR DIRECTION INDICATOR IS THE WAY YOU WANT. This will bring in outside air, as is, without any problem. Try it and let me know it works for you. Don't even touch fan if you want outside forced air. IT WORKS!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

I had the problem that the compressor never stopped running. It was blowing frost after 30 mins and the ice blocked the vent..... It took a long time for the dealership to figured out. It turned out the whole climate control unit box was malfuctioning. I ended up getting on from the junk yard and for around 250 and was charged for 0.5 hour labor for replacement. The climate control unit is more than 1000 for a new one from Honda.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I typically use my climate control in Manual. With the A/C OFF (as displayed in the LCD), I can close the fresh air (Recirc) in order to fend off exhaust fumes / diesel in traffic. Turning ON the Recirc with the A/C OFF does not engage the compressor. I also have my Temp level at 58 (ready for the Florida heat when I flip on the A/C) . I think the AUTO buttons easily override my intentions, so I tend not to use them.

Additionally, I prefer not to crank over the car with the A/C on (old habits never die). But I am sure there is a delay 'built in' to the compressor not engaging while cranking the engine.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
For normal circulation, use the MODE switch and select the air vent direction. Then set the fan speed. If you want A/C in manual, just turn on the A/C switch. However, if you do this, the compressor will run 100% of the time regardless of the temperature setting.

If you want the cabin's temperature to be nicely controlled, use the Auto setting and chose your temperature. Once reached, the recirculate mode will go to outside air and the compressor will cycle on and off to maintain cabin temperature presets.

The manual mode is your friend for non-A/C operation where you want outside air to enter the cabin. Mine works just fine.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rchuang
I had the problem that the compressor never stopped running. It was blowing frost after 30 mins and the ice blocked the vent..... It took a long time for the dealership to figured out. It turned out the whole climate control unit box was malfuctioning. I ended up getting on from the junk yard and for around 250 and was charged for 0.5 hour labor for replacement. The climate control unit is more than 1000 for a new one from Honda.
On your '04 or '05 TL? How many miles do you have on your car already?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I would expect he was speaking of an experience with another / older car? After all, if the A/C unit was malfunctioning on an 04 or 05 TL, it would be under warranty and no need for a salvage yard part & repair labor costs.

Originally Posted by ChuckDu
On your '04 or '05 TL? How many miles do you have on your car already?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaMike
I would expect he was speaking of an experience with another / older car? After all, if the A/C unit was malfunctioning on an 04 or 05 TL, it would be under warranty and no need for a salvage yard part & repair labor costs.
I'm guessing that rchuang was refering to another car, too, but was seeking clarification from him with my post.

Of course, if his car is a 3G TL and has over 50K miles a salvage yard part would be only a very slight possibilty anyway. After all, how many 3G TLs have been salvaged?

So let's assume for the moment that the car he is refering to is, say, a 1989 Honda Accord. How would a failure of that particular climate control module (and ice in his vents) relate to the original post?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:49 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckDu
I'm guessing that rchuang was refering to another car, too, but was seeking clarification from him with my post.

Of course, if his car is a 3G TL and has over 50K miles a salvage yard part would be only a very slight possibilty anyway. After all, how many 3G TLs have been salvaged?

More than you could imagine..

So let's assume for the moment that the car he is refering to is, say, a 1989 Honda Accord. How would a failure of that particular climate control module (and ice in his vents) relate to the original post?

Maybe Garuda's TL has a malfunctioning climate control like Rchuang's car did,,, thats all he was implying - besides, it could definitely happen.

He was just posting information / his climate control "experience" etc.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
rchuang only has 3 posts, and the other two are in 1G TL for a 97TL. I think he might have posted in the wrong forum by mistake.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rchuang
Shouldn't this be covered under warranty if the part was malfunctioning?