Cleveland Auto Show...finally saw A-Spec (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Cleveland Auto Show...finally saw A-Spec (Long)

I'll try to host some pics later. I finally got a look at an A-Spec. It was the local sample from my dealer, not the one that's been circulating around the country in other auto shows. I know this because I was at my dealer yesterday and was told by my salesman that their A-Spec sample was at the auto show. I got close-up pix of the steering wheel (for morace, welcome back! ), front air dam, and rear air dam. I'll ask to test-drive it after the show to see whether the suspension components are worth installing; if I can, I'll give y'all a report.

In general, the Acura stand was much more crowded here in Cleveland than at the Detroit Auto Show (which I also attended); there was a long line just to sit in the MDX, the RSX got a lot of attention from younger folks, and the A-Spec attracted quite a few people, mostly those interested in the TL. Unfortunately, Acura chose not to show the HSC concept, but showed an NSX instead.

I ran into a couple who were looking at the G35 (I was as well) and tried to sell them on the TL.

I compared interiors (and some exteriors) between some of the TL's competitors.

--BMW 530i (competitor in size). This was the first time I saw it in person. It's much better-looking in person than in pictures. The interior is what I would call "functional". Very minimal, almost as if the car was meant to be driven (duh, it's a BMW). The I-drive button is pretty distracting. Overall, not bad, but not worth $20k more than the TL.

--BMW 330ix (competitor near price level). The interior was cramped, especially in the rear. The person who sat behind me was cramped when the driver's seat was pushed back to my preferred setting. The interior doesn't look too cheap. Too many buttons, however. This car was a blast to drive, though! (drove it some time ago)

--Mercedes C-class. I sat in a C240. I was completely disappointed by the interior. It looks cheap! You have to pull on a hook on the front of the seat to adjust it forward/backward! In a $30k + car! WTF? The interior materials are cheap, and there are WAY too many buttons on the dash and stereo to push. Either the TL's organized ergonomics or the BMW's minimalist look appealed to me more. And 168 hp and 181 hp for the engines? Come on, that's underpowered. I can't believe people are so desperate for Mercedes' cachet that they'd turn down even a TL for this.

--Volvo S60R. I like this car's looks. The interior is luxurious and roomy, lots of head room. The interior materials are top-notch. The fan controls shaped like a person are intuitive. I wish I had test-driven this car before I took delivery of the TL, I might have changed my mind. The new S40T is also sharp-looking. It should be a great competitor for the TSX.

--Lexus ES300. AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhh, living in the lap of luxury. This is the only car in the group whose interior bests the TL's. Too bad the car drives like a boat and the styling is so unappealing even in person.

Totally OT, Chevy is planning to unveil the 2005 Corvette convertible here in Cleveland on Tuesday, I may try to go back for that.
Old 02-28-2004 | 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Cleveland Auto Show...finally saw A-Spec (Long)

Originally posted by neuronbob
--Mercedes C-class. I sat in a C240. I was completely disappointed by the interior. It looks cheap! You have to pull on a hook on the front of the seat to adjust it forward/backward! In a $30k + car! WTF? The interior materials are cheap, and there are WAY too many buttons on the dash and stereo to push. Either the TL's organized ergonomics or the BMW's minimalist look appealed to me more. And 168 hp and 181 hp for the engines? Come on, that's underpowered. I can't believe people are so desperate for Mercedes' cachet that they'd turn down even a TL for this.
the c-class is definitely disappointing.
Old 02-28-2004 | 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Here are some pix. You've all seen profile pictures before, so I didn't bother with those. Instead, I provided closeups of the body kit.

A-Spec rear
A-Spec front
A-Spec steering wheel
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:07 PM
Banned

I wiil disagree with you on the ES 300 besides the wood trim There are quite a few parts, specifically the tranny lever that scream IM A CAMRY. The exterior of the 5 series is unattractive specially from behind, what I did appreciate was the solidity of the doors Ive heard vaults with a whimpier sound than that! Agree the C series is a bunch of crap.
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:53 PM
3rd Gear

Can you please post any other pics of it that you might have. Im thinking of getting a new TL in Blue and I have not seen too many pics of it in blue.

thanks
Old 02-28-2004 | 11:03 PM
tgt
Instructor

Here are some pix. You've all seen profile pictures before, so I didn't bother with those. Instead, I provided closeups of the body kit.

A-Spec rear
A-Spec front
A-Spec steering wheel
Oh dang, been looking for some antrhacite a-spec pics. Any side shots?

Thanks!
Travis
Old 02-29-2004 | 02:38 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

I love the steering wheel
Old 02-29-2004 | 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

This A-Spec wasn't anthracite, it was whatever color they call the green. I didn't take any side shots because there are plenty of those elsewhere and I wanted to take a different perspective.
Old 02-29-2004 | 09:52 AM
3rd Gear

I thought that was blue, but looking at it again it does look kinda green.
Old 02-29-2004 | 12:19 PM
Retired MOD

Re: Cleveland Auto Show...finally saw A-Spec (Long)

--Volvo S60R. I like this car's looks. The interior is luxurious and roomy, lots of head room. The interior materials are top-notch. The fan controls shaped like a person are intuitive. I wish I had test-driven this car before I took delivery of the TL, I might have changed my mind. The new S40T is also sharp-looking. It should be a great competitor for the TSX.
Nice comments except for the above!!!! I thought the interior was very ordinary, nothing stands out....the interior had nothing worth taking about......just my 2cents
Old 02-29-2004 | 12:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Anthracite A-spec

This site has a whole bunch of A-spec pics.

http://www.speedycars.net/wallpaper/acura_tl.html
Old 02-29-2004 | 12:32 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Neuronbob

always looking out for me
wheel is dissapointing, wasted hype
Old 02-29-2004 | 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Cleveland Auto Show...finally saw A-Spec (Long)

Originally posted by Bitium
Nice comments except for the above!!!! I thought the interior was very ordinary, nothing stands out....the interior had nothing worth taking about......just my 2cents
Still, you have to admit that AWD and 300hp is worth considering. Even if the car's basically a Ford.

Originally posted by moreace
always looking out for me
wheel is dissapointing, wasted hype
I agree, the wheel looks just like mine except for the little accents. I was expecting a Momo or something REALLY special.
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:17 AM
Retired MOD

Re: Re: Re: Cleveland Auto Show...finally saw A-Spec (Long)

Still, you have to admit that AWD and 300hp is worth considering. Even if the car's basically a Ford.

yeah is true 300hp, AWD, very nice brakes is hard to pass by, but you would still be driving a "VOLVO"