Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Saves the Day *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Clear Bra Saves the Day *PICS*

So I'm driving down the 405 South towards Irvine. For those of you from the So. Cal area, im just south of the 55 freeway right by John Wayne Airport. Anyway, so I'm cruising at about 70 mph and I'm about 2 car lengths behind a flat bed truck carrying pieces of plywood and 2x4's. To make a long story short, the truck in front of me spills it's load, sending pieces of wood crashing and breaking onto the concrete! Unfortunately, I am boxed in so I do not have any way of escape. I have no choice but to drive through. It was horrible.....I can see the shards of wood crashing into my hood and bouncing off. The cars around me were being hit as well. So me and 2 other cars pull over. As I walk out and head towards the front, I grow nervous as to what I may find. To my surprise, I find nothing but scratches on the clear bra I had installed 3 days ago!! As for the other cars, the Honda Accord that was in the carpool lane had some deep gouges and paint chips on the front of the hood. The Ford Mustang that was to the right of me had tiny dents and 2 dime-sized paint chips. When they saw my car, they were quite impressed with how well the clear bra held up. Today, I called EDL in Torrance, where I got the clear bra installed, and told them what happened. They have agreed to replace the hood piece at no cost!! Below are some pics....please excuse my dirty car, I plan on washing him this weekend

Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 PM
I slow down for COPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I swear by them for a reason.

You may call it a bra, you may call it a car condom. Whatever you call it, it gives you protection.

Good luck, Mark.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

is the line that distinct in person. you can clearly see where the clear bra starts and ends.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Team Nighthawk member

The line is distinct because:
1) I got it installed 2 days ago and it's still "curing".
2) I have yet to wash and wax the car.
I also drove out to Vegas, so a lot of dust and bugs has collected onto the bra. Once I wash and wax the car, as well as the clear bra, the line should not be that distinct. A buddy of mine got the clear bra installed at the same place a couple months back. He too has NBP and when that thing is Zaino'ed, the bra is almost invisible. These pictures don't quite do justice to the clear bra. Trust me, the clear bra is well worth the $.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Now if we could just get women to wear clear bras....
Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Team Nighthawk member

Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
they say whatever you do, dont wax the clearbra, I have one as well, and I dont think iwa nna even try getting wax on it, dunno why they said it, but they made sure I knew what they were sayin, who knows.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm impressed!!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MaFreCoLa
So I'm driving down the 405 South towards Irvine. For those of you from the So. Cal area, im just south of the 55 freeway right by John Wayne Airport. Anyway, so I'm cruising at about 70 mph and I'm about 2 car lengths behind a flat bed truck carrying pieces of plywood and 2x4's. To make a long story short, the truck in front of me spills it's load, sending pieces of wood crashing and breaking onto the concrete! Unfortunately, I am boxed in so I do not have any way of escape. I have no choice but to drive through. It was horrible.....I can see the shards of wood crashing into my hood and bouncing off. The cars around me were being hit as well. So me and 2 other cars pull over. As I walk out and head towards the front, I grow nervous as to what I may find. To my surprise, I find nothing but scratches on the clear bra I had installed 3 days ago!! As for the other cars, the Honda Accord that was in the carpool lane had some deep gouges and paint chips on the front of the hood. The Ford Mustang that was to the right of me had tiny dents and 2 dime-sized paint chips. When they saw my car, they were quite impressed with how well the clear bra held up. Today, I called EDL in Torrance, where I got the clear bra installed, and told them what happened. They have agreed to replace the hood piece at no cost!! Below are some pics....please excuse my dirty car, I plan on washing him this weekend

Good job That's why I hate trucks! They suck!!! I know I should get one for my hood too, before something like that happens to me!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if you didnt have the clear bra, couldnt you have charged the trucking company for not securly attatching the load. BTW, if a piece of wood goes through your windshield it may as well be a bullet, their are many cases of people being killed by foreign bodies kicked up from the road.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Burning Brakes

The line is distinct because:
1) I got it installed 2 days ago and it's still "curing".
2) I have yet to wash and wax the car.
I also drove out to Vegas, so a lot of dust and bugs has collected onto the bra. Once I wash and wax the car, as well as the clear bra, the line should not be that distinct. A buddy of mine got the clear bra installed at the same place a couple months back. He too has NBP and when that thing is Zaino'ed, the bra is almost invisible. These pictures don't quite do justice to the clear bra. Trust me, the clear bra is well worth the $.
Who did your bra?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
Even if you didnt have the clear bra, couldnt you have charged the trucking company for not securly attatching the load. BTW, if a piece of wood goes through your windshield it may as well be a bullet, their are many cases of people being killed by foreign bodies kicked up from the road.
technically he could, but most trucks have writting on them that say that they are not responsible for items coming from the road.

In this case the items clearly came from the truck, but the company's lawyers would probally argue that the items came from the truck, then hit the road, then hit the cars meaning they are not liable. Its BS I know. But that is probally what the lawyers would do to weasel their way out of paying.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Racer

before the TL i had no experience with the clear bra but moving forward i dont think i'd ever purchase a car and not add the protection. its a great investment.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by plastikman
they say whatever you do, dont wax the clearbra, I have one as well, and I dont think iwa nna even try getting wax on it, dunno why they said it, but they made sure I knew what they were sayin, who knows.
Who told you that? What kind of clear bra do you have as fas as material?

If you have 3M - WAX IT? If you do not, you will have an uneven discoloration of the vehicle. Imagine, you wax the entire car, but one door. Do you think it will look the same after few years? Of course not. 3M is clearcoated so the material will react just fine to the wax. So, WAX IT, ZAINO IT, Treat the car like the bra would not be there.

That is my advise, do whatever you want with it.

Mark
Old 06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Team Nighthawk member

Yeah, I was told to wax it as well. Quick detailers work perfectly. Also, when you wax the car, to prevent the wax from building up at the edges of the clear bra, cover up the edges with masking tape.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
technically he could, but most trucks have writting on them that say that they are not responsible for items coming from the road.

In this case the items clearly came from the truck, but the company's lawyers would probally argue that the items came from the truck, then hit the road, then hit the cars meaning they are not liable. Its BS I know. But that is probally what the lawyers would do to weasel their way out of paying.
And your lawyer would argue that ownership doesnt change when an object losing it's footing from a moving object.

If that were the case go follow any truck you want and if anything falls off the back it's now yours. (See why that argument wouldnt work?)
Old 06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

now I know I did good by getting the clearbra - they are putting it on the car as I type
Old 06-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
AMEN!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
Who told you that? What kind of clear bra do you have as fas as material?

If you have 3M - WAX IT? If you do not, you will have an uneven discoloration of the vehicle. Imagine, you wax the entire car, but one door. Do you think it will look the same after few years? Of course not. 3M is clearcoated so the material will react just fine to the wax. So, WAX IT, ZAINO IT, Treat the car like the bra would not be there.

That is my advise, do whatever you want with it.

Mark
Mark, I have had it on multiple cars for years and love it.
But, you don't have to wax it if you don't want to. The paint should wear the same as the non-covered paint either way.
The wax protection on the car is much less of a protectant than the 3M film, so say you wax the car all the time and not the areas with the bra on it... In that case, the part of the car w/ the film is still getting at least equal the protection. It wouldn't cause a color difference in the 2 areas just because you don't wax over the film.

OTOH, I wax mine sometimes just because it makes cleaning it off later easier. Removing bugs and other things come off easier.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
You may call it a bra, you may call it a car condom. Whatever you call it, it gives you protection.

This is a great story. As I've said before, I will try never to buy another new car without a clear bra. More proof as to its usefulness.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 PM
I slow down for COPS

Yeah, I was told to wax it as well. Quick detailers work perfectly. Also, when you wax the car, to prevent the wax from building up at the edges of the clear bra, cover up the edges with masking tape.
Even better, right after you are done waxing, go around the edge with a Q-tip. It will remove the wax build-up.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Mark, I have had it on multiple cars for years and love it.
But, you don't have to wax it if you don't want to. The paint should wear the same as the non-covered paint either way.
The wax protection on the car is much less of a protectant than the 3M film, so say you wax the car all the time and not the areas with the bra on it... In that case, the part of the car w/ the film is still getting at least equal the protection. It wouldn't cause a color difference in the 2 areas just because you don't wax over the film.

OTOH, I wax mine sometimes just because it makes cleaning it off later easier. Removing bugs and other things come off easier.
The 3M film is UV stablilized, so the sun penetrates through it and discolors the paint under it just like the rest of the car. So, the paint wears the same. Therefore, it is recommended to wax the film rather then not.

Plus like you said, makes it little easier to clean.

Either way, stay chip free. Mark.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Racer

Even better, right after you are done waxing, go around the edge with a Q-tip. It will remove the wax build-up.
I put down a line of tape on the edge, and then I don't even have to do that. I just pull the tape up when it's time to remove the wax.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Originally Posted by neuronbob

This is a great story. As I've said before, I will try never to buy another new car without a clear bra. More proof as to its usefulness.

Yep, I second that.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
I put down a line of tape on the edge, and then I don't even have to do that. I just pull the tape up when it's time to remove the wax.
Seems like a hassle, but if it works for you ....
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Racer

Seems like a hassle, but if it works for you ....
Takes me literally... maybe 15 - 30 seconds.
To clean w/ a Q-tip... much longer than 15 seconds.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Team Nighthawk member

*UPDATE* New Clear Bra piece installed on hood

Today, I went down to EDL to have the clear bra replaced. After I told them what happened, they were quite impressed with how well the film held up. They were surprised that the film was not punctured, but rather, just scratched. When they took the old film off, the paint on the hood was just as immaculate as the day I installed the film. I got the new clear bra replaced for free!! I highly recommend these guys. I will post pics of the clear bra and the car once I Zaino it this weekend.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Boondocks fanatic.....

My wife would divorce me REAL friggin' quick!!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:05 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by plastikman
I have a 2005 TL that I bought in Feb and the very next week, I had the VentureSheild protective film put on it.

I had the film put on the hood, mirrors, headlights and the complete bumper area. As for being able to distinctively see it on the car, not mine. You only notice it when you are right up on the car. I don't know whether or not mine being White Diamond Pearl has anything to do with it. Even if you could see it at a farther distance, IMO it would still be well worth it.

What is the alternative...nothing... or one of those ugly, black bras? I would never, ever put one of those on my TL. Why ruin the look of a great looking car? That is in addition to the moisture and dirt being trapped underneath.

The instructions on care specifically states, "...and apply a good grade of liquid automotive wax at least twice a year to maintain "showroom condition" and comes with a lifetime warranty..

I hghly recommend the VentureShield over the 3M...better product.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:41 PM
4th Gear

MaFreCola,
I too had my clear bra installed by EDL. Those guys are great and stand by their product and installation.

Good to hear that they are takin care of ya.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Advanced

so if you threw the wood, would they also not be responisble. Nice try. There is a direct connection between what they were doing on the road ( hauling wood , and the wood coming loose) unless they can proove some act of god, like lightning stricking the truck and the wood exploding. Likely the company is bonded, and will be bankrupted by the lawsuits.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Team SSM

They exist Hmmmmm