3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choose your dealers wisely! (Advice/Rant)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:56 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Choose your dealers wisely! (Advice/Rant)

Hey Aziners! I'm actually sitting at a dealership right now, but after reading tons and tons of threads here about people posting up outlandish service prices I figured I would go on a mini-rant since I've got some time to kill.

Most of us here are car guys right? There tends to be some pretty good advice given out by some of the more experienced members from what I've seen. Here is my advice regarding dealers and dealer pricing that newer people to the car community need to know, understand, and pass on to their significant owners (especially wives who *generally* don't know much about cars).

YOU NEED TO DO RESEARCH ON AND DO RELATIONSHIP BUILDING AT ANY SHOP YOU TAKE YOUR VEHICLES TO. This really should go without saying, but so many people just go into a dealership and take it in the ass because a service rep tells them so. When people come on here asking if $200 for an air filter is too much....well what do you think? Seriously? Those reps do not care about you, you are not a unique snowflake to them, their goal is to exploit your ignorance and extract as much money out of your bank account as possible.

Please don't take that as me knocking all service reps. In fact I feel the exact opposite, that there are many legitimate reps out there who truly care about you getting a great deal for great service. Bad stuff can happen anywhere you go, but you want to minimize that by working with a good shop.

When I first moved to Charlotte, I was terrified to take my car (Lexus IS300 at the time) to any shop because I had a long-time friend who ran a shop in VA who I trusted with my life. After doing a lot of research (mostly on local IS300 forums) I found an independent shop that was highly recommended. Here are the steps I take to allowing a shop / dealership into my "circle of trust" and for saving money on vehicle services. Hopefully some of you newer members will find this helpful:

1) Research. Research, research, research. Don't just take your car to the closest dealership. Ask around, read online. Look for first-hand experiences from ENTHUSIASTS if you can, people who are just as anal about your car as you are.

2) Stop by the shop and talk to the manager / owner on a day WHEN YOU DON'T NEED SERVICE. You can arrange this in advance. Look at it as an interview for him / her, because that shop could potentially get a lot of business from you.

3) Don't wait until your car is in critical need of a service. This can be hard to get around because well, stuff can happen. But do your research in advance so you're not stuck with your car on a tow truck taking it to the nearest place because you have to have it done ASAP.

4) Buy your own parts, when you can. This also takes some research, but even a good dealership will allow you to use your own parts. You can often save a LOT of money by doing this. This goes for everything from tires to 105k kits.

5) BUILD A RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR SERVICE ADVISOR AND TECH. I cannot stress these two things enough. Find an advisor that you like, ask them who the best tech in the shop is and request them every time. When they do good work and hook you up, show you appreciate it. I occasionally buy my rep and tech pizza for example. Write in a letter of appreciation to their bosses. That stuff goes a long way in customer-service oriented businesses. This ensures that you are treated fairly, as an individual, and will get straightforward and honest advice even if you do not know much about cars.

I was very blessed when I bought my car that one of my good friends on this forum was friends with a service tech at a local Honda dealership. I trusted his recommendation because he is just as anal about cars as I am, and I built a strong relationship with a rep and also with his friend / tech. Now I recommend all of my friends to these guys because I know they will treat them the same way. It's the circle of trust.

You guys, you can either be a victim or you can be proactive in finding a shop that's not going to screw you on rates and give you poor service. It is YOUR job to keep your money in your pocket and your sanity intact, not someone else's. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you newer and maybe some of the long time members as well

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 02-10-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
the dealerships hourly labor and the hours they automatically calculate for certain jobs is what does you in...

ie. for strut and springs they'd easily quote over 5hours... and do it in under half that...
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by stillhere153
the dealerships hourly labor and the hours they automatically calculate for certain jobs is what does you in...

ie. for strut and springs they'd easily quote over 5hours... and do it in under half that...
That, and them tacking on parts and services that you don't necessarily need.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Nice rant/advice. Some good points about the customer/dealership relationship.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All very good points...I subscribe to them. Especially #5...I will bring in a box of donuts and some coffees to the service writers and techs as a goodwill gesture...and it's always appreciated. I don't have to, but the $10 investment every once in awhile pays tenfold. I've gotten little extras thrown in free when I'm in for service and I always get the nicest loaner!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
All very good points...I subscribe to them. Especially #5...I will bring in a box of donuts and some coffees to the service writers and techs as a goodwill gesture...and it's always appreciated. I don't have to, but the $10 investment every once in awhile pays tenfold. I've gotten little extras thrown in free when I'm in for service and I always get the nicest loaner!
Definitely, that stuff goes a long way. Considering the crap that those guys probably put up with on a daily basis, it's nice for them to know that they are appreciated when they don't screw you over
Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice advice!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent advice. It's all about relationships.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I agree-good advice. I've done this with my dealership and everyone in the "back end" (Service Writer, Techs, Parts Dept.). I believe it will help.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
I agree, but that's why the best way in fixing your car is doing it yourself.

Never need to worry if someone is cheating you, never need to worry if the parts are actually being put in your car, and you always feel good you accomplished something, small or large.
The following users liked this post:
Timstandupguy (04-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
+1 on bringing them some presents or snacks.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
I agree, but that's why the best way in fixing your car is doing it yourself.

Never need to worry if someone is cheating you, never need to worry if the parts are actually being put in your car, and you always feel good you accomplished something, small or large.
I'm with you, especially if you have the skills to work on your car yourself. I'll usually do the easy stuff like air / cabin air filters, etc.

With that said, I can do a lot of the maintenance on my car myself or with friends but for the most part the money I spend on professional maintenance is worth paying for avoiding the time invested and the hassle. Not everyone is like this, which I understand. I used to change all of the oil in all of my vehicles, until I shredded the hell out of my wrist on the plastic underguard of my old Tundra. Now it's worth it for me to pay $20 to have someone else do it.

Also, it's REALLY nice to have professional service records when you're ready to sell or trade in the car. Or if you ever have warranty issues or concerns. It gives you a little more clout than "I'm a handyman and I've always done all my own service."

Just my
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with all the points mentioned for the dealer. I was treated real well with my 06 Mini S in Hawaii, the only MINI dealer on island, only had one problem with them in 3 years and I caught it before it became a big problem. I went to only one tech there and 2 sales people. I treated them well and got good deals on aftermarket things also. I just dropped off my 08 TLS at the local dealer in Little Rock for a CV joint problem and they proceeded to look for the best price they could get to replace the busted window I got in Texas in Dec. They couldnt bet the price I got but they were willing to try. Two great experience at this dealer. Courtesy and respect carry a lot of weight sometimes more than money.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I'm with you, especially if you have the skills to work on your car yourself. I'll usually do the easy stuff like air / cabin air filters, etc.

With that said, I can do a lot of the maintenance on my car myself or with friends but for the most part the money I spend on professional maintenance is worth paying for avoiding the time invested and the hassle. Not everyone is like this, which I understand. I used to change all of the oil in all of my vehicles, until I shredded the hell out of my wrist on the plastic underguard of my old Tundra. Now it's worth it for me to pay $20 to have someone else do it.

Also, it's REALLY nice to have professional service records when you're ready to sell or trade in the car. Or if you ever have warranty issues or concerns. It gives you a little more clout than "I'm a handyman and I've always done all my own service."

Just my
Again...totally agreed.
I used to do mostly everything on my vehicles as well. Not only to save a few $ but also to just give everything a general once over look/see. But now, it's so not worth my time & effort to save $5 on an oil change. Plus having the service records is a MAJOR asset when selling/trading....lets the next party know that everything was done professionally.

However, I still swap my own wheels/tires every Winter & Spring. Gives me a chance to look the undercarriage over after a harsh Winter or to lube/anti-seize everything up after a hot Summer. I make a day of it...to be "at one" with my baby.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed

Just my
Agreed.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad I'm in the circle of friends here in Charlotte and use Chris for my 105k service... All else I do myself. The advice given by the OP is priceless and I see this happen each time I go to the dealer to pick up parts. Keith at Hendrick Acura is the best service advisor they got. He always made sure I got what I asked for. Great write up!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Advanced

I don't go into a dealership without a 6-pack in the backseat, and always let my service writer know to take the car himself - and he does so with a smile. Even when I had a larger repair bill, I did it... because he has hooked me up so many times.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
We should start a thumbs up/down thread of ALL the Acura dealers. That way, we'd all know who we should go to and who to avoid.

In Northernmost NJ, Acura of Ramsey is #1 on my avoid list as they have bumbling idiots (not to mention an overly obnoxious Parts & Service director) who've made misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis while Acura of Manhattan seems to have extremely competent service techs who've had to fix Ramsey's fuck ups on more than 1 occasion.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

I'd be happy to throw in a list in my original post of trusted dealers and local mechanics, broken down by states for people. Some mod feedback would be appreciated before I did it though. I think it's a really good idea.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stillhere153

+1