3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your car for damage from service dept before going home.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your car for damage from service dept before going home.

It is sad that one has to be almost paranoid about basic things like trusting your local dealership service dept. I brought in my car since the new spare was leaking at the stem. They fixed the stem which was not properly seated and told me all was fine. So I am relieved and go home. However, the next morning when casually looking over the TL I notice that the front wheel has some color on it. I try to wipe off this smear and then realize that the wheel was badly gouged and chewed up in 2 areas each 6 inches long- with traces of yellow paint mixed with black grease!! It then hit me that this happened at the dealership and nobody had said anything! Back I go and check out the service stall and the lift area. Sure enough, the lifting arms have the same yellow paint that was left on the wheel. I go try to see the GM and end up discussing this with his assistant. Told him about the damage. He wants to see the wheel. We go out and he he checks it out. Mentions that this can be buffed.Then want to talk to the service manager. He comes back and says the service manager did not know anything about this. I flatout mentioned that the tech drove the car in, must have rammed into the lifting arms of the lift, and then decided to keep mum about the whole thing. And that buufing just is not doing it. I want a brand new wheel!! He replied that-"yes, wrong is wrong. They screwed up and will order a new wheel which you will get in a week." I thanked him for his refreshing honesty and his asistance getting to the bottom of this matter. So a tech will be reprimanded I am sure but they had to do the right thing. The lesson here is that we have to be alert at all times or pay the price. Happy motoring you all!!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job man! Like you mentioned, it is a very good idea to inspect your car before you leave the lot. A few things have happened to my baby as well (eg. cracked winshield, scratched trunklid and grease on my A-piller). I don't have much faith in these techs at all!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,015 Likes on 577 Posts
Always a good idea to have them make a walk around with you when you bring it in, and then again when you pick it up.

I'm very happy that this worked out for you. Care to share the name of the dealer?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the heads up,

I'm taking mine in tomorrow for regular scheduled maintenance.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,929 Likes on 5,543 Posts
I agree, it's a very good thing to do. The same can be said for valet places, bodyshops, basically any place where you leave your car in the hands of someone else for an extended period of time.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Pro

My TL hit a random part in the dealer's garage when the tech was pulling it out. They didn't hide it though. My front bumper needed to be repair and repainted. Now I always do a walk around even if I know my dealer's honest about accidents they caused. Can't be too carriful.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this has happened to me twice. Island acura was great and agreed to repair each item
Old 04-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Instructor

damage

Originally Posted by silver05tl
this has happened to me twice. Island acura was great and agreed to repair each item
Just a note from my dealing with manhattan acura. When I took my car in for servicing, the first thing they do, is have someone do a walk around and observe inside and outside of car, and note any damage. You and him, then sign the form. Upon picking up the vehicle, you have the opportunity to inspect it also, and sign off on it. I find this a very reasonable system, so there are no bad feelings on either side, on what was what.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Pro

After circulating the block in New York City for 20 minutes and felt frustrated, I parked my car in a commercial garage. A month after that, I got a parking ticket from DOT with late fines. Obviously, the garage put my car outside for whatever reason and I was ticketed, but they removed it from the windshield when I went to pick up the car. So, this kind of stuff happens not only in dealership service depts, but all over, and there is not much we can do, unfortunately.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Just one more reason why, if at all possible, my TL (and my wife's) will never see the inside of a dealer's service department. I avoid taking my car in for service to a dealer like the plague.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:45 AM
SOX FAN

Yeah there was damage on my car as well. The dealer who was actually taking me through the car on the first day actually noticed it and was very honest about it and told me. There was a gouge in the glovebox and the glovebox needed to be replaced, also there was a big scratch on one of the outside door pillars. They replaced it the next day.

Sunnyside Acura of Nashua, NH
Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Currently at 50,546 miles

My TL was in fine shape, but when I had bought my Accord there was a large, very noticable scratch that ran through the entire dashboard. I don't know how they didn't notice it, but I had to insist that they replace it.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:23 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Happened to me twice.

Picking the car up at Curry once I found my front bumper smacked. They swapped the bumper immediately with another green one from a new car they had on the lot.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...36&postcount=4