Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light ON!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 03:18 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light ON!

yestarday while on the highway i decided to push the TL a bit (10,000 kms)
put it into steptronic downshifted to 2nd....then floored it...i proceeded to upshift but noticced the check engine light flashing several times....slowed down and after some time it stopped blinking...

why does this happen?
cant be normal...

i have also noticed when u keep it second gear longer then usual the light willlalso blink and go off after u upshift...

i may have hit the rev limiter that might have caused the light to blink??!?

TIA
Old 07-10-2004, 06:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravi
yestarday while on the highway i decided to push the TL a bit (10,000 kms)
put it into steptronic downshifted to 2nd....then floored it...i proceeded to upshift but noticced the check engine light flashing several times....slowed down and after some time it stopped blinking...

why does this happen?
cant be normal... :n
TIA
I've read threads on this. If run hard and the rpm's are over 4,000 or so the engine light can flash for about 20 seconds. Could either be software, something called a crank angle sensor etc. If the light actually stays on the dealer can get an error code but if it just flases and turns off from what I gather its not a major worry just annoying and has something to do with emissions. Thats all I remember.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
He is correct, this is nothing major to worry about. The dealer will in most put a software upgrade on your ECU. Here is a good info on what should happen at the dealer
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=17
Old 07-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1,014 Likes on 577 Posts
This can also happen if premium 91 (or higher) octane fuel is not used.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Honda calls them DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). There is a whole list if them on this car - I did a scan check with my AutoXray 6000 and found nothing, although I did do some dynamic coolant and intake air logging to see how those numbers behave around town.

The OBD II system also has what are called "Readiness Codes" - these are set and used by some Emissions Testing centers - the RC's determine if major sub-systems (like the cats with the upstream and downstream H02 sensors) are functional.

I have not punched my car yet (still only 200 miles on it) but if I see a code, I will yank it and report back immediately.

Beware the ECM Re-flash bearing a grudge. I have seen re-flashes where performance was lost. This can happen if the mfr later finds that its spark/fuel maps are leading to excessive emissions: They will usually dial back the timing, which hurts torque and hi-RPM power. On the Cobra, I got wind that one of the re-flashes did this, and I passed on it. I was willing to live with the occasional stall rather than lose juice. When the Predator came along (allowing me to make dynamic map changes), I did have the re-flash done, and re-set my spark curve to the dyno tune settings.

My E36 M3 was one of the first in the US (April, 1994), and it had a re-flash, and was never the same again. I ended up selling it. Even thre AutoThority chip could not undo what had been undone by the re-calibration.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Advanced

My check engine light flashed a couple of times when I got on it to merge on the highway. I had the dealer check it out and the code was 'misfire'. It isn't actually misfiring and I needed the car back for a trip so we haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Will post when I get it sorted out.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wonder
My check engine light flashed a couple of times when I got on it to merge on the highway. I had the dealer check it out and the code was 'misfire'. It isn't actually misfiring and I needed the car back for a trip so we haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Will post when I get it sorted out.
It could be mis-firing; not all misfires are noticeable in the cabin. I would not wait too long - if the plug is loose, there is a risk of it overheating, and dropping the insulator into your CC - or you can burn an exhaust valve. Get it checked out ASAP.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Racer

thx for the replies

so should i get it checked out?
some of the replies above are saying its nothin to worry about
but it was flashing for a good 10-20 seconds..
hope i didnt really mess anythin up badly..
Old 07-10-2004, 07:41 PM
10th Gear

Try tightening your gas cap. Worked for me.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Road Rage
It could be mis-firing; not all misfires are noticeable in the cabin. I would not wait too long - if the plug is loose, there is a risk of it overheating, and dropping the insulator into your CC - or you can burn an exhaust valve. Get it checked out ASAP.

It isn't misfiring. They checked that out while it was in. They think it is a marginal/over sensitive sensor. I've got an appointment for next week to sort it out.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

Same thing happend with my TL when I pushed it a bit (occurred on three separate occastions). When I brought it in for service there were several codes logged. The result was a replacement of plugs and coils. Problem now fixed.

- Shemp
Old 07-11-2004, 12:01 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you guys are lame, this exact situation has a TSB, do a search, or maybe rets will post it.

It was a known flaw in the ECU programing (some say it is a flaw in the crank angle sensor), but anyway, the program is too sensitive and flashes or turns on the check engine light as an engine mis-fire above 4-5k rpms if either held, or WOT.

Many early cars had plugs, coil packs and crank angle sensors replaced without success until a ECU re-flash of the program.

Originally effected cars with a USA vin of 14k or under, but some current cars seem to have the same problem.

Let the dealer diagnose the problem and fix it correctly for you.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:04 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by need4spd
you guys are lame,
:sqnteek: you can be lil nicer!
Old 07-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by need4spd
you guys are lame, this exact situation has a TSB, do a search, or maybe rets will post it.

. . .

Let the dealer diagnose the problem and fix it correctly for you.
In my case, an update/reprogram of the ECU was not involved in the fix (at least based on the service report). The diagnostic codes logged apparently led the service tech to the solution. While I don't appreciate the 'lame' comment, I do agree with your statement to let the dealer diagnose the problem.

- Shemp
Old 07-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Shemp
In my case, an update/reprogram of the ECU was not involved in the fix (at least based on the service report). The diagnostic codes logged apparently led the service tech to the solution. While I don't appreciate the 'lame' comment, I do agree with your statement to let the dealer diagnose the problem.

- Shemp

I'm glad to see your dealer did this for you and found the issue/code stored inside your car. You're the lucky one. Sometimes dealers won't diagnose anything until they hook-up their diagnosis module and test-drive it.

Due to this is weekly/monthly redundant topic, that's why some members would feel :shit: sometimes...
Old 07-12-2004, 01:27 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, so I should have skipped the lame part, but rets is right, this is a weekly to monthly post that it happened under certian conditions that match the TSB.

I will indicate that the check engine light can come on for any number of reasons, so it is best not to rely on the forum to tell you what is wrong, and have the dealer diagnose it, it could be something completely different, as the check engine light signals any one of a slew of trouble codes.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:33 AM
You touch my tra la la...

My car is going in for the 4th time for this problem as soon as the new ECU software comes in. And they've already replaced the crank angle sensor. Might be a lemon but I still love it!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Being an early buyer I went thru all this, got new coil packs and plugs, no fix, it was my Crank Angle Sensor that fixed the problem as it was way before the new ECU flash was out.

As to the ECU flash robbing power RoadRage, this one seems to have added back a LOT of power. or maybe because I was such an early build that it fixed a lot, but man is my car smoother and WAY faster after I got the flash a month ago. It wasn't to fix anything, it was just an update while they had it in the shop. And I got 3 more MPG.

Sometimes the shops can't find the correct error and just see a "misfire" when they hook it up in the garage. Have them hook up the portable OBDII reader and go take it for a ride and punch it from a light. That's how they finally found mine. But I had to tell them it was ok to abuse my car for a bit to make it flash the light, which it promptly did.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GaleForce
My car is going in for the 4th time for this problem as soon as the new ECU software comes in. And they've already replaced the crank angle sensor. Might be a lemon but I still love it!
GaleForce, they download the new ECU software on the spot at the dealership from thier Acura IN-network, it is available now, unless they revised it again?
Old 07-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Well here it goes again, the light was flashing the other day and then it stayed on the codes were p301 and p305 , misfire always in the same cylinders #1 and #5, the dealer will be changing the injectors as soon as the parts arrive, apparently they have seen similar issues on other cars, does anybody have the same problem?

I will keep you updated.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we haven't seen similar issues on any other cars, we don't know what you're talking about.

<exit dealer voice>

I don't recall reading anyone else on here specifically stating that they traced it to any particular cylinder(s). I guess it's good they did so they have something to work on rather than just shooting in the dark like they did on mine.

hope they get it fixed for ya.

I love the other comment about the "marginally/oversensitive sensors" yeah.. it's called that it's working and picking up errors from a not precisely made car.. Mine was a case of the crank sensor but the new fix is just to tell the sensor to shut up and ignore it. Sounds like the way Dell fixes our servers all the time. They release firmware that "adjust temp or fanspeed sensitivity" I mean.. DUH.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ravi
thx for the replies

so should i get it checked out?
some of the replies above are saying its nothin to worry about
but it was flashing for a good 10-20 seconds..
hope i didnt really mess anythin up badly..

It's not meant to be "trouble-free", they just indicated "relax" and absolutely go check with your dealer as soon as possible. Since this "may" not be the "extremely emergency", you don't need to call tow trunk to ship your car to dealers.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Is it happening only on 5AT? I currently use a loaner car (5AT) and it does happen when i rev the engine. I haven't rev my car (5AT also) yet btw.