3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine indicator came on then went off several hours later.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine indicator came on then went off several hours later.

A couple of days ago my check engine light came on. I immediately took the car to the dealer. They couldn't tell me what the error was because ther diagnostic computer was down and they were expecting a new one that morning. The service manager and I decided that the car was ok to drive (I was late for a business meeting) and they did not have any loaner cars. I drove the car to my all day meeting and after the meeting I started the car the light came on. I drove the car for a little while and the light went out.

The next day I had an appointment at the dealer and I took the car in. They were surprised the light cleared itself (I guess they aren't supposed to do that) They checked the code and one of my 02 sensors was reading lean. They checked the sensors and could not find any problems.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

I have 6spd with 3100 miles on it.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Check Engine indicator came on then went off several hours later.

6spdzoomzoom,

Did you get your light ON during the high-RPM driving? Or it just took place during the regular speed?

This may result in the different answers we could provide to you.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=67501

The info above has a couple of hyperlinks, which could help you to get ideas, especially if your case is high-RPM related.

My dealer found nothing with codes a month ago, then told me tons of non-sense theories. Until he received the tech letter from Acura engineers, they wouldn't believe what's going on...

The solutions vary with factors. However, this issue seems well-known by Acura engineers so far. I guess...

Your dealer should call them if the light is continuousely ON without any specific reasons. Don't let them give you the false info as my dealer ever did to me...
Old 12-22-2003, 09:15 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
6spdzoomzoom,

Yours sound different, as the others have all had a cylinder mis-fire code.

It may actually be your O2 sensor.

Also, the others with the cyl misfire have been autos.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Instructor

I have had the same problem.
I raised my RPMs up to 5000 and held it there for a second to watch the engine light come on (I was testing to see if I had the faulty PCM code). The engine light stayed on for about a day or two then disappeared.

Now once in awhile it comes on. Even if I toss the car into Automatic (instead of E-Shifter) it comes on when I "punch it".

I'll just get the new PCM code when I go into the dealer to fix my memory seats.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Motavar

I'll just get the new PCM code when I go into the dealer to fix my memory seats.
That's new to me...
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Racer

The light actually came on when I started the car. I never rev the engine upon starting the car. The light went off after I hard accelerated off the line from a stop light. It has not come back on since this incident.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:39 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
The light actually came on when I started the car. I never rev the engine upon starting the car. The light went off after I hard accelerated off the line from a stop light. It has not come back on since this incident.
Like I said before, yours sound different than any other post I heard on the engine light, so I would work with the dealer if it keeps on happening.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Instructor

My check engine light also come on once when I started the engine. The owner's manual says that if the gas cap has not been rotated several times after filling up this may happen. It also says that it may take a while for it to go out if this is the cause. In my case the light went out 5 minutes after I secured the gas cap with a few extra rotations. Of course there are many other causes for the light to come on however the manual does mention this one in particular.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Instructor

I had the same problem with mine, the check engine light came on when I started my car. It was the outdated software. However, mine is an Automatic and the code was for engine misfire.
I also had the blinking engine light under hard acceleration.
But it's all lights are gone now with the new software.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

I'm actually working on my mom's car and her check engine light comes on sometimes and when it does it's acted weird, sometimes it won't start after runnnig, other times it won't shift and when it sits for a while problem disappears, for a while, checked the codes and it's says random misfire, as well as mis-fire in all 6 cylinders, any imput on what it can be, maybe a sensor seeing how the problem is there then not there?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
random and multi cyl misfire codes are often a bad coil- 1 bad coil- not all 6 as some shops will try to sell you,,or a software issue and false codes (gee, toyota not only one buying cheap stuff?)

did you recently change the spark plugs?- sometimes a coil gets mishandled/dropped/set down hard and damaged inside- failing soon after

OP- you have 3000? thats three thousand miles original brand new car miles? thats warranty- keep bugging them, Directly ask the service MANGER to oversee the problem along with the HEAD dianostics tech-
ask SM to take it home with them and see if it acts up

give permission for tech to take it to lunch with code reader plugged in too
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the wont shift wont start- what does the dealer say about that?

You can override the shift lock on auto trans by removing small cover on right of shifter- stick key in there and push down- now move shifter to N
remove key and start car

sounds like major software issue for that car
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the wont shift wont start- what does the dealer say about that?

You can override the shift lock on auto trans by removing small cover on right of shifter- stick key in there and push down- now move shifter to N
remove key and start car

sounds like major software issue for that car
I've been trying for the longest time to get the shift lock release cover off. Did you pry it off or what?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the engine light on for a almost two weeks and finally decided to take to the dealer for check. The dealer found that my O2 sensor worn out and was replaced. No more engine light on since then. I hope that I will not have other issues later as my warranty is up.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
random and multi cyl misfire codes are often a bad coil- 1 bad coil- not all 6 as some shops will try to sell you,,or a software issue and false codes (gee, toyota not only one buying cheap stuff?)
Out of curiosity, does the TL employ Waste-Spark? (That's where one coil fires two plugs simultaneously, but only one is actually used to ignite at any given time) Just curious, becuase I know my Grand Prix uses that system, so to diagnose a bad coil is pretty easy, as you'll tend to see misfires on the same two cylinders. Random misfires across all cylinders tend to be a fueling problem, such as a pressure regulator or fuel pump on it's last legs... Misfires on only one cylinder can be plugs, wires, or fuel injector.

But if the TL doesn't do Waste-Spark, than never mind