Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Tint...How much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tint...How much?

I know the tinting question has been beat to death, but I searched the forums and failed to find out how much it has cost. So, if you got the Formula One Pinnacle ceramic tint, how much did you pay? And also if anybody got it done at Mr Tint in Escondido, how was the quality? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Intermediate

$349 in Northern Virginia (LA Tint)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony1
I know the tinting question has been beat to death, but I searched the forums and failed to find out how much it has cost. So, if you got the Formula One Pinnacle ceramic tint, how much did you pay? And also if anybody got it done at Mr Tint in Escondido, how was the quality? Thanks.
FWIW, I went with 3M and I'm very pleased. It was a $75-$100 less than Formula One in my area. I think $350+- for 4 doors w/moleskin + the rear.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

I got some quotes today from 2 San Diego tint installers for the Formula One Pinnacle tint. Mr Tint in Escondido is charging $460 for 7 windows w/moleskin and $300 for 5 windows w/moleskin. I also contacted Expert Window Tinting in La Mesa. They charge $350 for 7 windows w/o moleskin and $300 for 5 windows w/o moleskin. Expert Window Tinting says they have done 30-40 TL's w/o the moleskin and found that it wasn't necessary. The guy said that just need to clean the inner rubber monthly and that the moleskin just degrades over time and causes scratches. He said he would install it if you wanted it, but didn't recommend it. I think I will be going with the moleskin for $300. I'll give an update to how it turns out.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
8th Gear

Did you go with the tint with the moleskin? How is it? So who did you go with and how much did you pay? I am looking for good tinters in San Diego but with no luck
Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Retired and Loving It

I paid $215 for back window and two rear doors. The felt (moleskins) was $15 per door extra. 3M ceramic with lifetime warrenty.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$330 at solar work in roswell/alpharetta, georgia
Old 01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know nothing about window tinting but am interested in getting my 06 RRP tinted soon. What's moleskin?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by evolpe
I know nothing about window tinting but am interested in getting my 06 RRP tinted soon. What's moleskin?
Moleskin is another term for felt I believe. It is suggested for TLs b/c it prevents scratching your tint. From most of the postings i would not tint without the moleskin. I don't want to take the chance of having to go back to the tint shop. Now i just need to find a tint shop who offers Luminar or 3M tint. Have to do it right the first time
Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Can somone post on what is ceramic tint? I think I know what it is but I'm not sure. I just go with Llumar and all my rides and I'm too lazy to search. Hey I'm honest.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Go TL it on the mountain!

can someone show me a pic of the "felt" you all are talking about? I have never heard of or seen it.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Can somone post on what is ceramic tint? I think I know what it is but I'm not sure. I just go with Llumar and all my rides and I'm too lazy to search. Hey I'm honest.
I don't know if this will help . . . Huper Optik Nano Ceramic Window Film - There are only a few manufacturers of Ceramic film that I'm aware of; Huper Optik, CPFilms (Formula One Pinnacle) and Madico
Excerpt from Formula One . . The unique technology utilized to produce the Pinnacle Series of films makes it the most state-of-the-art automotive film today. With the advanced electronic systems in today's vehicles, it is imperative that a window film allow optimum performance at all frequencies. The advanced technology utilized in manufacturing the Pinnacle Series provides a proprietary non-metallized, non-conductive, ceramic technology film with maximum heat reduction, maximum ultraviolet rejection, excellent optical clarity and blockage of infrared rays.
. . .Ceramic window films are rapidly becoming the industry leading energy management film. No dyes or metals are used in producing these films. Ceramic films give glass a natural tinted look with great performance and excellent overall clarity. Gone are the days of 'tin foil' or mirrored looking windows. Huper Optik is the creator of Ceramic-Based technology for Window Films. We also carry Madico Advanced Ceramics as well. Ceramic-Based Films appear much less reflective because of its inherited nature.
Originally Posted by billycuth
can someone show me a pic of the "felt" you all are talking about? I have never heard of or seen it.
You can order a pre-cut kit from flnsx (official vendor) from his website
Old 01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Terminex

$200

This is for the 3M lifetime ceramic all around. (front strip, 4 doors, & rear)

no moleskin for me as this is the third car done by this same installer for me. had them for 6, 5, an 1 years respectively with no problems related to scratches & I use my windows exclusively when it is nice outside.

BUT, if you are worried about it, then go ahead and get the moleskin. (it is a minor price to pay for peace of mind)
Old 01-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

$210 for F1 Pinncle
Old 02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
8th Gear

I got some quotes today from 2 San Diego tint installers for the Formula One Pinnacle tint. Mr Tint in Escondido is charging $460 for 7 windows w/moleskin and $300 for 5 windows w/moleskin. I also contacted Expert Window Tinting in La Mesa. They charge $350 for 7 windows w/o moleskin and $300 for 5 windows w/o moleskin. Expert Window Tinting says they have done 30-40 TL's w/o the moleskin and found that it wasn't necessary. The guy said that just need to clean the inner rubber monthly and that the moleskin just degrades over time and causes scratches. He said he would install it if you wanted it, but didn't recommend it. I think I will be going with the moleskin for $300. I'll give an update to how it turns out.
So how is your tint job? Got pics?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by terminex
This is for the 3M lifetime ceramic all around. (front strip, 4 doors, & rear)
When did 3M introduce a ceramic film?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Advanced

I paid $270 for FormulaOne Pinnacle in Longwood, FL.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Florida weighs in.

I paid $225 at Tint King in West Palm Beach for Formula One Pinnacle ceramic and am very pleased with it.

Installers are notorious for telling ppl they don't need moleskin and they don't need ceramic tint. Remember that last week, they were probably bagging groceries.

Acura, who should know, says not to use metallic tint on the rear window. (See p. 3 of the Navigation Owner's Manual.)

The standard inner rubber wipers (there are two) are hard rubber in the Acura, Mercedes, and a few other premium luxury vehicles. They are not very forgiving if a piece of grit finds its way to them. The moleskin (felt) is more forgiving with a softer and deeper surface. It is applied over the hard rubber. It maintains an effective seal from sound and weather and rides on the inner glass of the window.

Premium tint installers that do high end vehicles have discovered that installing the self-sticking moleskin to the hard rubber wiper saves them from having to re-do the tints on those cars. It can still scratch but far less often.

Some installers will tell you about their guarantee and say to just bring it back if it scratches. READ the guarantee and you will see that it does not cover scratches.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Love my TL! ready 4 mods!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I paid $225 at Tint King in West Palm Beach for Formula One Pinnacle ceramic and am very pleased with it.

Installers are notorious for telling ppl they don't need moleskin and they don't need ceramic tint. Remember that last week, they were probably bagging groceries.

Acura, who should know, says not to use metallic tint on the rear window. (See p. 3 of the Navigation Owner's Manual.)

The standard inner rubber wipers (there are two) are hard rubber in the Acura, Mercedes, and a few other premium luxury vehicles. They are not very forgiving if a piece of grit finds its way to them. The moleskin (felt) is more forgiving with a softer and deeper surface. It is applied over the hard rubber. It maintains an effective seal from sound and weather and rides on the inner glass of the window.

Premium tint installers that do high end vehicles have discovered that installing the self-sticking moleskin to the hard rubber wiper saves them from having to re-do the tints on those cars. It can still scratch but far less often.

Some installers will tell you about their guarantee and say to just bring it back if it scratches. READ the guarantee and you will see that it does not cover scratches.
Thanks Xpditor, I really appreciate the experience/education. It makes my tint search semi easier. I've been calling around and hearing different opinions from different tinters according to what their shop offers or do not offer. Now I know what I want from all the advices & experiences given on this forum. Thanks y'all! I don't really feel comfortable with people taking my door panels off but i really don't want to have to go back to the shop if there are scratches on my tint. I'll save myself the trouble and get double protection, Formula 1 w/moleskin PLEASE!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:51 AM
3rd Gear

I got the 35% ceramic tint at Mr Tint in Escondido. Paid $300 for 5 windows including the moleskin. They seem to be a reputable business as they do many cars for the dealerships over in the Escondido Auto Mall. Overall satisfied with the job they did. A few small bubbles but I havent had a chance to go back and have them fix it yet. The tint comes with a lifetime warranty so no worries. I got it done during that cold spell we had down in San Diego at the end of December and think that may have had something to do with the tint drying completely but I'm no expert. I'll try and take some pictures when I get a chance.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:42 PM

I got the 35% ceramic tint at Mr Tint in Escondido. Paid $300 for 5 windows including the moleskin. They seem to be a reputable business as they do many cars for the dealerships over in the Escondido Auto Mall. Overall satisfied with the job they did. A few small bubbles but I havent had a chance to go back and have them fix it yet. The tint comes with a lifetime warranty so no worries. I got it done during that cold spell we had down in San Diego at the end of December and think that may have had something to do with the tint drying completely but I'm no expert. I'll try and take some pictures when I get a chance.
You paid $300 for 5 windows? That is with the Formula 1 Pinnacle series? How long ago did you get your windows tinted? I called Mr Tint in Escondido today and they said are charging $460 for 7windows w/ms. Mr Tint in Encinatas offered it at $400. Bubbles? Oh no.. There are only 3 dealers in SD that offers ceramic tint. Expert Window does not do felt so that narrows my search to the 2 Mr. Tints'..
Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info Tony1 I really appreciate it. I think I will go with Mr. Tint in Encinitas, they are charging $400 for 7 windows w/MS. There are only 3 tint dealers in SD with ceramic tint, prices are quoted the same as you're mentioned. I am leaning towards the Mr. Tint in Encinatas for the better deal. :p