Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console Storage Bins...help !

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Center Console Storage Bins...help !

Hello everyone...I have looked all over the forum but I have not found a solution that works for getting rid of the rattle coming from the center console top storage bin !

Please, Please, Please, HELP ! I tried to leave the door open but I want to fix the problem...I tried putting foam, tape but nothing works !

If I push up against the top of the door when it is closed, the rattle goes away. As soon as I stop applying pressure to that area, the rattle instantly comes back !

Please let me know !

Thank you
Old 05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't need the space, stuff a small towel or cloth in there and shut the door. It may help.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im starting to think it may be the EL42's fault i'll let you guys know if my storage bin rattle goes away after i get my new tires tomorrow
Old 05-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to Home Depot and pick up some clear rubber dots. I think they're in the cabinet area. They are adhesive backed and come on sheets. They're used as feet or something like that to protect furniture. I don't have any pictures. Just stick one or two on the inside where the door closes to keep it from vibrating. Works great. I now have no more vibes in my car.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the solution sir. However, I tired puting a long strip of adhesive velcro ( the soft part ) on the inside of the little door. The rattle persists ! It is really driving me crazy ! The only thing I can do to stop it is by applying pressure to the top of the little pivoting door. as if I<m trying to push it back inwards from the top. This will completely stop the rattling, however, as soon as I remove my fingers from there, the rattling starts again !

Again, any heol would be greatly appreciated ! I'll do anything at this point !
Old 05-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I find it is not just the storage bins. If you press your finger against any black plastic pieces around NAV/Stereo, you will hear the similar sound you described in your post. It is due to complete lack of felt behind the plastic pieces. This is just a bad design in my opinion. I guess that's the price I paid for getting all those gadget options for free!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Team NBP

I had the problem

Well, I guess this wasn't a fix. But, I took to the dealer and they replaced the pocket, door, etc. and the rattle went away.

It is covered under the warranty.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I have the same exact rattle that you descibed to a " T ". As repecat suggested, fold a rag or cloth and just keep it there. Not the best fix but it comes in handy for rainy days.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Intermediate

I have the same rattle in the same place on the top storage bin. If you leave the door open it stops, but while closed it is there. I first thought it was the CD case rattling against the back of the door. I put a piece of foam rubber behind the door. That did not stop it. I guess I need to have the dealer replace it. I have a few other minor things I need to have the dealer fix, but it was not worth it yet.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Instructor

I'm starting to here a slight rattle there myself, and also thought it was a CD case. Funny thing is that it always goes away after driving for about 1 minute. Very strange.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Racer

The noise is coming from the 2 bins rattling against each other. Go to Home Depot and pick up some rubber stops with the adhesive backs. The one's you put underneath objects to keep them from sliding on slippery surfaces. Stick a few of them together (about 3 of them) and jam them in the space between the 2 compartments. It's a little tricky because you have to get it almost towards the rear of the compartments. The problem is the compartments are angled so that the back part of the compartments are closer, almost to the point of touching. You will need to have both doors opened and using your fingers, place the rubber stops in between the 2 bins. If you put enough bewtween the bins, it will keep the 2 compartments separated and it will keep them from touching each other. That is what is causing the rattles.

I had the same problem and for awhile keeping the doors opened solved the problem. But soon after, even keeping the doors opened didn't help.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

My new tires is the solution for me
Old 05-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Advanced

For those that have the rattle in the upper compartment in the center console that goes away when the door is open,, I found an easy fix.

If you pull the door partway down and reach in you can feel an opening above the compartment. When the door is down the whole compartment would move a little, but when the door is up the springs in the door applied pressure to the top of the opening and stopped it from moving.. I got a small piece of poly foam about 1.5 by 1.5 inches (the stuff used for seat cusions) and stuffed in into the opening above the compartment. I now have no rattle with the door open or closed.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Would it be possible to attach some kind of a picture to clarify the fix you are talking about ? I am not sure where you are saying to put the foam. Also, what size is the piece of foam you are sticking in there ?

Thank you
Old 05-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same rattle from the top draw. It goes away when I leave the door open. I will try the rubber thing you all are suggesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5AT04TL
Would it be possible to attach some kind of a picture to clarify the fix you are talking about ? I am not sure where you are saying to put the foam. Also, what size is the piece of foam you are sticking in there ?

Thank you
It will be a day or so before I can take pics,, but if you open the door and put your hand in the compartment, the door is almost flush to the top of the compartment. Now with your other hand push the door part-way down and you will feel an opening above the compartment you cannot see. That is where I put the foam.. Size was about an inch and a half cube.. a scrap from the foam I am using to redo a motorcycle seat.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Im gonna try this 1st thing in the morning, couldn't find a fix in the 3g garage. my new subs make it rattle again. I'll post pics

Ron maybe you can add this in there?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I did not have a rattle, but found play in the armrest, and on looking, found
there was supposed to be 2 rubber plugs in holes on each side, to take up
the play wen things are closed, and one was missing.
I found some self stick rubber feet and stuck one where the original rubber plug/foot was supposed to be, and no more play.

Brett
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HiG4s
For those that have the rattle in the upper compartment in the center console that goes away when the door is open,, I found an easy fix.

If you pull the door partway down and reach in you can feel an opening above the compartment. When the door is down the whole compartment would move a little, but when the door is up the springs in the door applied pressure to the top of the opening and stopped it from moving.. I got a small piece of poly foam about 1.5 by 1.5 inches (the stuff used for seat cusions) and stuffed in into the opening above the compartment. I now have no rattle with the door open or closed.
i think you solved the problem! i used some foam from an outdoor bench cushion, put it in the space, took it for a test drive and all i could here was the engine purr