3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console bottom needs to be raised/floated up. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Center console bottom needs to be raised/floated up. Help!

Wasnt sure what topic to put this under...

Anyway, I need to raise/float the inside of my center console about 3-4 inch give or take some. and not look too

If your wondering why, its because I am going to have some wire coiled inside it that I dont want to cut and dont want it under the console as its to much/thick and will get in way of e-brake cables.

Keep in mind needs to be removable for any dealer adjustments to that cable that they do every so often...

I just want something flat that will look almost stock and fit good... Right now I just have rags stuffed in it to and than my junk on-top...

Any ideas?

P.S. The wires are my Video/Audio wires and I just rather not cut the ends.
This happened because my dumb ass got to long of wires, well originally not but than I changed how I ran them..
Old 10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Drifting

good luck
Old 10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I coiled it under the Drivers or Passangers seat. I made a little slice in th carpet and coiled it under the carpet & floor mats. I tried running big loops on the sides of the console beneth the rear air vents, but ended up coiling under the seats. My next spot is to run it up the center hump between the rear seat under the carpet and hide it under the read seat/ spare tire area.

* primary advise is to not be stingy with the zip ties as the rattles are annoying.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Racer

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish I had a solution that you would think is acceptable but I don't. Raising the console is probably a poor solution to the problem and you're creating a new problem/problems because of the first.

It would be much better to reroute the cables, replace cables with shorter ones or cut cables and re-solder the connectors (not so nice or easy). These things may not be easier or cheaper but better than fudging it! How are you going to raise the console when it's attached to the dash? Are you just raising the back, tilting the console forward?

It's usually better to do something correctly the first time then to redo it later.
"Things happen" and new ideas occur both during and after your modification so it often takes more than one try to get it correct. Possibly many to get it perfect.

I hope you can find a solution you'll be happy with.

Good luck and let us know what you did.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Racer

I guess i don't understand. Why would you want to go to all the work of raising the console...and having it look weird and out of place...than just replacing the wires with the correct length? I'm not sure you can even raise the console without some serious work being done to the shifter. You would have to raise that along with the console. I haven't even looked at this car, but others use a shifter cable that would also have to be adjusted to fit the new height...and factory cables rarely have enough slack to accomodate that. You would be looking at finding a suitable longer cable...and those aren't cheap. I would recommend spending the money for the correct length wires before I ever attempted a console move.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take some 1/4" plywood and cut it to make a new "bottom" for the console. Have small pieces of wood blocking that it can sit on. Paint it flat black and it'll look fine down there.

You'll probably block out access to the outlet, I'm guessing.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

^It wouldn't be quite that easy.

Find another alternative.

Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
take some 1/4" plywood and cut it to make a new "bottom" for the console. Have small pieces of wood blocking that it can sit on. Paint it flat black and it'll look fine down there.

You'll probably block out access to the outlet, I'm guessing.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. As for the outlet, that does not matter as I am using it anyhow for the device.

Everyone else seems to have missunderstood what I want to do. I dont want to raise my entire center, just the inside bottom... hehe
Old 10-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Racer

That makes a little more sense.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New MDF bottom "floor" piece, line the whole inside with cloth...what's the problem again? You're talking about raising the floor of the inside of your center console storage area, right? Because you want to store the cable slack underneath?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hi There
New MDF bottom "floor" piece, line the whole inside with cloth...what's the problem again? You're talking about raising the floor of the inside of your center console storage area, right? Because you want to store the cable slack underneath?
Yup... Right now I have the little rubber floor thing removed from it and just got some towls laying in there but its not nice and flat as its cloth... I want something thats hard and flat and can sit up about 2-4 inch and not look too bad if someone was to look inside.