Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Engine Shrouds

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Carbon Fiber Engine Shrouds

Hey....I have used this guy before for carbon fiber parts for my Honda TRX400EX Quad that I play around with (and ride very little and spend WAY too much $ on) and was wondering if he could do our stock plastic engine shrouds under the hood in nice looking carbon fiber panels.(he even offers colors too) This is not a sales gimmick here....not trying to hide anything at all....the guy is at http://www.feathercarbon.com - guy named Thomas - talked to him yesterday about making some parts for me (the large plastic engine covers/shrouds you see when you open the hood re-made in carbon fiber) and the first thing he asked was "how many of these things do you think people would want?" Bottom line....if there is enough interest....we can get the mold made to make these panels for little or no charge to us (all us Acura owners) and just pay for the panels themselves from him. Has anybody else thought of this idea or might be interested in pursuing this with me....please give a shout out here in this post. Hopefully we can show him that there would be PLENTY of people willing/interested in this type of modification/upgraded look and he will hook us up and make them for us. If I am the only one....he said that I probably wouldnt even want to know the cost of the molds alone....but if enough people would be interested and he could sell more than just one set....this might be something he might be interested in investing in molds for and just sell them to us (not me or anything....so again....I am not trying to sell you on anything other than the idea to try to get a small mfg/parts producer to get interested in our cause!) Mod....please dont lock me out or anything....I just want this vendor to produce something for us and thought it would be a cool idea/upgrade. I tried to look into how to make the parts myself, but damn....THAT STUFF AINT EASY! Need more skills than I have! Maybe if we can show in this post alone that there is enough interest in this....he will make molds for us!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think they would look cool. might even pick some up for the right price!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea a lot. As it is, I tend to ignore that part of my car too much, but my old Prelude had very nice engine dressing and I loved showing it off...gave me a good reason to keep it clean too. Any way you could hazard a guess at pricing? Can he tell you if he sells X amount he will charge Y amount? Are we talking real carbon fiber?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
The Group Buy Rules

OK, here are the rules as I understand them at this time.

It is all right for you to find out how many people will be interested in this.

You should contact the vendor and find out how many people he would need in order to establish prices and specifications.

When you reach that minimum, you can let him know and he would have to contact soopa at adam at acurazine dot com to make arrangements to become a vendor and post in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum.

That would start the ball rolling, and each interested member could contact him directly to arrange for purchase and delivery.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:57 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Ron A
OK, here are the rules as I understand them at this time.

It is all right for you to find out how many people will be interested in this.

You should contact the vendor and find out how many people he would need in order to establish prices and specifications.

When you reach that minimum, you can let him know and he would have to contact Astroboy at to make arrangements to become a vendor and post in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buys forum.

That would start the ball rolling, and each interested member could contact him directly to arrange for purchase and delivery.
I figured there was something he would have to do to get connected with the Acurazine site formally to help him move the product faster....but again....this is not a sale....JUST A SURVEY TO SEE IF THERE IS ENOUGH INTEREST TO GET HIM INTERESTED IN THE PROJECT TO MAKE THE MOLDS FOR THEM! I make no residual nor have any interest in this other than to get us parts that are now not made that could really look cool. I do thank you for not locking the forum and letting the respondants express their opinions. The more people we seem to get interested, I think he will end up doing it for us (and not to buy them though me so dont contact me to buy or anything....just post an interest here so he can see how many people would or would not be interested.

For the other question...yes....this is real carbon fiber parts. Check his site for more info listed above. He already does car and motorcycle and quad parts to order. I have a 400EX honda quad and have CF tank cover,headlight cover/bezel, side plates, all in carbon fiber and they really set it off. They are not total chinsey CF parts either....my sideplates and tank cover are fairly substantial! Anyway...feel free to call the guy or whatever just to let him know you want TL parts made or definately post here that you would buy something like that if it was available and not friggin $995 or something! He has to notice us if there are enough of us! As for how many he would have to run...still working out the details there. Taking pics of parts so he can check them out and give us an educated guess.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Chief

Count me IN!!!!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:20 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound cool. And would look just as cool. Defintely all show. I figure if the price didn't go to far out side the range people pay for hoods then it should be too hard to sale. I know just interior A pillars would just run 120 in my 01 civic. for all six of the upper ones. the interior was well over 600 shipped. I think it would be a nicd addition seeing as though I already have the CF trim inside too
Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Advanced

Haven't thought of that but would be cool for the right price...any word on pricing given x units at Y prices?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:20 AM
I like to whistle in my

Another option i would definitely purchase as long as it wasn't more than 250- to 300 would be a CF intake. Might not do too much but the look would be so HOT!!. I always love the way BMW's engine bays look. If you could ask him how much he think it would cost to produce some of those, I ( and i think others too) would appreciated it. I just think a CF intake would look better than some polished red or blue intake.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Instructor

i was thinkin bout it too... my friends a4 engine covers is clean and flat so he juss bought carbon fiber stickers by the foot and cut it up to fit the covers and looks official i was thinkin bout doin it too its a cheap 10 dollar mod?? i think its worth it
Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 PM
I like to whistle in my

any update on this??
Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I like to whistle in my

I emailed him about about the CF CAI since it seems like im the only one still interested in this.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Sorry for the delay....had a few trade shows that we had to attend. I have not had time to take the pics and send the parts to him for quotes. Something tells me that the cost of the mold is going to be huge though.....we need more people to spread the cost across to justify him "throwing" the mold charges in!
Old 10-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Got Pearl?

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Sorry for the delay....had a few trade shows that we had to attend. I have not had time to take the pics and send the parts to him for quotes. Something tells me that the cost of the mold is going to be huge though.....we need more people to spread the cost across to justify him "throwing" the mold charges in!

depending on cost I maybe in.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Count me in too! If you look on the Acura website, they have CF dealer installed options for the 06 TL (front console, rear console, and STEERING WHEEL!)
Old 10-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I like to whistle in my

the trim on the door and the around the shift plate are enough excuse to buy something else CF. I was lookin for a CF shifter to replace my auto one but reconsidering now. Thinking just other little simple stuff or engine stuff. If anyone has pics and dimesions of AEM or INJEN intake, please post. I dont have one and couldn't send him dimesions for the intake.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
8th Gear

i would really like to get the engine cover in carbon fiber. that would look good. count me in.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Man of God.....

Put me on "The list" Any prototypes yet? Love to see some pic's!!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro

let me know about the price!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced

definetly interested would need to see price first and pics would help as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 AM
05 WDP TL

IN if the price is right!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I am working on having some developed here in Indianapolis at a friends shop near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and more information should be forthcoming soon! We will be doing a starting run soon....so just keep posting here if your interested and you will be updated here on AZ as it develops. We still have to get product in hand....but shouldnt be too far off! A mold is in the works now.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
<------ Interested
Old 03-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interested as well!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I like to whistle in my

Glad to see this back in the works. Those with the SC, engine bay should be super sexy with these in.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Interested!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Meek32v6
Glad to see this back in the works. Those with the SC, engine bay should be super sexy with these in.
Yes..but right now we are just talking about the actual cover on the engine itself....the others will be developed out as I go....but the mold expense is so much I cannot do them all at one time. Plan is....engine cover first...then surrounds next. There is a total of four peices including the engine cover...so I will do one...then the other three at the same time hopefully (thats the plan anyway). The surrounds offer up some challenges that must be overcome also....there are several clip mount points on the backside piece where it mounts to the strut bar that possibly might be problematic...but a hurdle that is jump-able anyway. For those with superchargers....there would also have to be a modification made to accomodate this application as you have to trim the peice durring install of the supercharger now in order to make it fit....so it differs slightly for the supercharger than regular stock. That might have to be something you do after the fact...or possibly just develop them all to accomodate the supercharger install up front....anyway...working on it guys!

Again...right now we are talking the main engine cover. Surrounds to be developed later.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
The problem is not going to be creating a mold, the part that is going to be very expensive if at all possible, is getting the CF. I myself work with CF and I am unable to buy it from any vendor do to a worldwide shortage. Do to the production of the new Boeing Jumbo Linear. They purchased up most of the worlds CF supply. It is hard to get raw fiber at this time. You can use the silver CF, which would look really cool, and is alot less expensive then CF. I have thought about doing this myself, and just haven't had the time to do it. Also, at this time I don't have a vacuum bag setup. I will be getting one.

Jason
Old 03-23-2006, 09:48 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
The problem is not going to be creating a mold, the part that is going to be very expensive if at all possible, is getting the CF. I myself work with CF and I am unable to buy it from any vendor do to a worldwide shortage. Do to the production of the new Boeing Jumbo Linear. They purchased up most of the worlds CF supply. It is hard to get raw fiber at this time. You can use the silver CF, which would look really cool, and is alot less expensive then CF. I have thought about doing this myself, and just haven't had the time to do it. Also, at this time I don't have a vacuum bag setup. I will be getting one.

Jason
Plenty on hand at this point...so this is not an issue here. I think they have plenty on hand due to the parts they make for race teams, ect. Hope this is not an issue here....
Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
I like to whistle in my

The engine cover is fine..that is actually all I would really need. As far as those with the SC's they could just trim/ dremel them themselves or have a shop cut them out. Shouldn't be too hard. But yeh I think the Engine cover is more marketable then the shrouds anyway. If you dont have the HP to back up a fully decked out CF engine bay, what's the point..either way/ one..still excited
Old 03-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in for the right price.........
Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Ryan Christopher

I would have to agree with just doing the engine cover and not the filler panels around the engine compartment. As the would look cool, but if you wanted to save weight you could just remove them. Also, when you have the SC, you have to mod the passenger side one and either not use or mod the one on the drivers side.

But I would be interested in the one for the engine.

Jason
Old 03-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<----- Interested
Old 03-23-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll start.. $50! Im in!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

em....dont think thats gonna cover it.....and I dont want to get into pricing before I get the cost back from the fabricator. doesnt this make sense? I would expect them to be around $250 roughly.....and as they mention.....thats if he has/can get CF materials.....I know there is some there....but how much and how many peices can be made with what is there is another story. He will also test this out on my car for a small while to make sure they work as designed also. Nobody wants to be passing out problems! The only issues will be making sure the "nubs" or "tabs" that stick into the rubber grommets on the back side work...or making a system that will. These are always problematic areas...even in plastic (I have actually already broken one off of the side panel tabs on the OEM plastic ones from taking it off in cold weather). The other option is to make a hole there and put a mounting plug into the grommet through the cover...instead of the cover having it (the nub) attached to the bottom side where it would have a propensity to break off. Again...all issues that are being explored!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Racer

I'm very interested!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:28 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

interested
Old 03-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Ryan Christopher