Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you believe this crap!!! Check your Air box connector

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can you believe this crap!!! Check your Air box connector

LA is flooded from shit load of rain. I can see how LA turns into Island. I went through 5 flooded area with water up to 1/2 ~ 3/4 tire height tonight.

I came home to see if I sucked any water and air box area looked dry. So I decided to take the box top out to see if inside was dry.

WTF? The rubber part that connects from TB to Air Box was never hooked. My car is pretty new with only 935 miles on it. That means my engines been sucking on dirt for the past 4 weeks.

What should I have my dealer do? Clean the TB? Any idea? I’ve called the towing truck to come pick up the car tomorrow morning. I am not going to drive it there, cuz I want them to see and fix this.

Another thing. I finally got my bumper license plate screw hole cover. I took of the black plate backing, and WTF? They missed the screw hole and just screwed on the bumper!

I scan see how this is going to jack up. High-pressure water can strip my paint off. I told them not to do it when I bought the car. What should I do?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not good if you've been bypassing your air filter for 1000 miles... Not good at all. I would mention that to them for sure... Lord knows what much is floating around in your engine now! (Lease or buy???)

As for the hole in your bumper, as they did it, I see no reason they can complain about getting you a new bumper. Dealer error + hole in bumper + unhappy customer = new bumper + happy customer.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well if you do not...

I am sure they will tell you there is no damage to the engine at all. If you do not have the 100K warranty on the car, I would push for it at no charge for this blunder.

It was a factory issue and that is probably not part of the dealer prep...

They cannot fix what isn't broke...
Old 02-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Turbo kit in the works!!!

Originally Posted by jhan1102
LA is flooded from shit load of rain. I can see how LA turns into Island. I went through 5 flooded area with water up to 1/2 ~ 3/4 tire height tonight.

I came home to see if I sucked any water and air box area looked dry. So I decided to take the box top out to see if inside was dry.

WTF? The rubber part that connects from TB to Air Box was never hooked. My car is pretty new with only 935 miles on it. That means my engines been sucking on dirt for the past 4 weeks.

What should I have my dealer do? Clean the TB? Any idea? I’ve called the towing truck to come pick up the car tomorrow morning. I am not going to drive it there, cuz I want them to see and fix this.

Another thing. I finally got my bumper license plate screw hole cover. I took of the black plate backing, and WTF? They missed the screw hole and just screwed on the bumper!

I scan see how this is going to jack up. High-pressure water can strip my paint off. I told them not to do it when I bought the car. What should I do?
LOL that is funny. I finally picked up my car after waiting 2 weeks for it to come in so i get it on friday night, bring it home to start installing the A-Spec bodykit, and pull off the front plate and same thing. Jackass tech who PDI the car drove a screw right into the bumper. Went back to the dealer first thing in the morning told them about they ordered me a new bumper right on the spot. Where did you get your car KEYES in van nuys?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

You guys are very forgiving.. I would have a 6 inch wood screw and a power driver when I went back to the dealer and asking to speak to the tech who did it...
Old 02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Racer

I got it at the Glendale. (1 month old)

Ok. I called the Tow, and took the car to the dealer.
CK intake for air filter was not connected to airhorn. Customer is concerned of pos damage due to unfiltered air incoming from the intake. Reinstalled the air filter intake hose assy and checked for any problems that may have occured and all is ok at this time. No moisture was deteced either.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Racer

"CK FT bumper mount/hole was drilled in error."

Looks like I'll get a new one. they will call me tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Safety Car

oh man if i found out my car was sucking air straight from the TB i would be pissed. i don't think too much damage may have been caused in those 1K miles but still it can't be good for the engine(it could have sucked in small debris like pebbles..ouch). i would have them at least change the oil and replace it with the breakin oil honda uses(if they do not have i believe road rage had a thread about what the product was). also take the oil that they remove and send it in to have oil analysis done on it. this can help discover potential problems that can arise from this error on acura's part.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Racer

oil analysis? Who offers the best Service?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:40 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this is something most dealers wouldn't have nor do I know how successfully it could be performed on the TL,,, but see if they have the capability to "scope" the cylinder walls etc.. Basically a small flexible snake like camera with a built-in light that can be placed through a spark-plug hole. This way they could examine the cylinder walls for abnormal/large vertical scratches. At 900 miles, if present, they would be easy to see. This is where my concern would be. May even be best to have an independent shop perform and document the "scoping". This way the report would be less biased and most likely more costumer focused vs "whats best for Acura" focused.....

Quite the "black-eye" on Acura and your dealerships new car prep department....

Not sure how strongly you feel about this issue, but you probably have a darn good case to just request/demand the dealer/Acura take the car back and give you another one.

Quite disapointing...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Umm..Serious question, how easy is it to check your connector?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Racer

grab the rubber part and see if it isn't connected.

Mine was off.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Racer

I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed !!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Racer

I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed I Am Pissed !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 09:16 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I feel your pain...when you calm down after a few days could you be a little more specific about exactly what the problem is (like what's a TB) and how to check it (through the hood or under the car)
Old 02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

Take the TL back, ask for a refund, and then visit your local Toys'R Us ... buy the largest big wheel you can find and peddle home, its more fitting for you.

Seriously, 900 miles of "possible" damage, of "particles, or pebbles" being sucked into your engine... get real. You get the same type of "particles" in your engine everytime you fill your car with gas, especially if you fill up from a station on a near empty tank.

Having built engines for the last 9 years professionally, and seeing the results from heat, cold, intake, forced induction, nitrous, and various other things, the 900 miles you put on your car with your intake not completely filtered in the grand scheme of things isn't going to mean jack diddley on your car. Unless you sucked in a significant size rock/pebble (which you'd know right away as it smashed into your cylinder head), you probably have nothing to worry about and are getting worked up for nothing.

As far as the screwing into the bumper, yah thats just poor workmanship and the dealer should replace it under warranty with no hassle at all. So worst case you are out a little bit of time because of a human error, it happens, chalk it up and move on with it, life isn't worth stressing over things like this.

-BZ
Old 02-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BoneZTL
Take the TL back, ask for a refund, and then visit your local Toys'R Us ... buy the largest big wheel you can find and peddle home, its more fitting for you.

Seriously, 900 miles of "possible" damage, of "particles, or pebbles" being sucked into your engine... get real. You get the same type of "particles" in your engine everytime you fill your car with gas, especially if you fill up from a station on a near empty tank.

Having built engines for the last 9 years professionally, and seeing the results from heat, cold, intake, forced induction, nitrous, and various other things, the 900 miles you put on your car with your intake not completely filtered in the grand scheme of things isn't going to mean jack diddley on your car. Unless you sucked in a significant size rock/pebble (which you'd know right away as it smashed into your cylinder head), you probably have nothing to worry about and are getting worked up for nothing.

As far as the screwing into the bumper, yah thats just poor workmanship and the dealer should replace it under warranty with no hassle at all. So worst case you are out a little bit of time because of a human error, it happens, chalk it up and move on with it, life isn't worth stressing over things like this.

-BZ
First of all, thanks for being a freakin’ punk ass BoneZTL.

If you have built engines for the past 9 years you should know why I am pissed. If you are so smart-ass, you should know at what micron engines are damaged, and why I am mad as hell.

I’ve been driving my car in construction zone for the past month, and after seeing all the fine dust particles under my hood and inside of the intake connector I have a reason to get pissed. Do you think I am some mofo willing to rebuild my engine every weekend? You’re talking shit because this didn’t happen to you. If you can help, don’t talk shit.

“same type of ‘particles’ in your engine everytime you fill your car with gas” WTF?

I don’t know what kind of gas you pump, but I hope you upgrade to better gas next time. There’s difference in things getting filtered by the fuel filter, built-up that can be burned or cleaned off, and freakin’ dry dirt. I really hope you don’t pump dirt into your engine.

“things isn't going to mean jack diddley on your car.” If you really think so I would love for you to build me a brand new engine and FedEx overnight to me. Oh! When you have time, call Honda and tell them to stop putting air filters in the car because people don’t really need it.

SBTL: TB = Throttle body

I had an engine noise so I took it into the dealer 3 weeks ago. They did not find the source of the noise, but last night I found where it was coming from. Rubber connector that connects from engine to airbox was not connected. At the dealer air filter was removed and it was brand new, and intake rubber area was dirty.

All I got from them was a note: CK intake for air filter was not connected to airhorn. Customer is concerned of pos damage due to unfiltered air incoming from the intake. Reinstalled the air filter intake hose assy and checked for any problems that may have occurred and all is ok at this time. No moisture was detected either.” I really don’t get how people can tell if it’s messed up not even looking inside the engine.

I bet that are worried because they didn’t catch this in the first place.

Anyways… I know the manager really well so I should have a talk with him. Road Rage PM’d me and said I should change my oil and filter. He said prob. 1k w/o filter = driving 30k w/ filter. God knows how much of crap my engine sucked in. I wonder whatda hell Quality Control was doing not catching this.

BoneZTL
Old 02-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Racer

Hey John, since i get it from the same dealer... I'm starting to get worried... Do you mind to take a pic and show which part I should check?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Racer

I can't find the pix but at the link below you'll see CAI. That area with sticker show be the location of the stock connector.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/720618/3
Old 02-23-2005, 01:22 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BoneZTL
-BZ
You never know what could get sucked up in there... Does the TL's throttle body have a screen over it? On my other car (Pontiac GTP), there is a screen over the throttle body. There is an old joke/legend now. A long time ago, (back in 1998 or so), the local club was at the track. One of the guy's disconnected the intake, to see if he could get a better 1/4 mile time. He got one of the worst times... When he went to put the intake back on, there was a fairly large plastic cookie wrapper, stuck on the throttle body screen Good thing the tb had a screen on it.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Racer

John, so it's right under the hood and the place where the intake connects to the other part... (coz I'm not sure what is throttle body)
Old 02-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Racer

what's tb? got pics?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Racer

gochan, as john mentioned.. should be the label on the CAI that is closest to the engine...
Old 02-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

So did you get an extended warranty for free?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

for oil analysis you can send it to this company who will perform the analysis and send the results back. i can't remember but i believe road rage posted a thread about it a while ago.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by caball88
for oil analysis you can send it to this company who will perform the analysis and send the results back. i can't remember but i believe road rage posted a thread about it a while ago.

Blackstone Labs... Like $30 or so...
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Racer

Thanks guys. I got in touch with them.

"We need to see at least 1000 miles on the oil to have good data. The
problem with the engine being so new is that we nearly always see high wear and
high silicon in new engines. The wear is high because new parts are breaking
in, and silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts. That's the same
thing we would find if you already had 20K miles on your Acura and the
unfiltered air had done damage: the unfiltered air would show up as high silicon, and
any damage it did would show up as high wear. So, what to do?

You are, of course, more than welcome to send in a sample at any time.
If it were me, I think I would do one or two very short (1000 miles) oil
changes, to try and "clean out" the engine. That will get rid of most, if not
all, of the factory leftovers. Then send in a sample with about 2000 miles on
it. If you have permanent damage, we'll see it. If the engine is fine and no
real harm was done, your wear and silicon levels will be low and stay low.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions."

I was also told by Honda I shouldn't change my oil for at least 3000-4000 miles. -.- They said if I change the break-in oil early, I would damage more.

waiting to hear back from Honda.....
Old 02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

you can put back the same break in oil honda uses. again i don't have the exact product but road rage has posted on what this is composed of. its simply dino oil with some additive. i would change the oil out at 1K and send it in for analysis. it might not come back with anything because the engine was so new and its hard to tell. replace the oil with the same "breakin" oil and send it in for analysis at 1K interval.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by caball88
you can put back the same break in oil honda uses. again i don't have the exact product but road rage has posted on what this is composed of. its simply dino oil with some additive. i would change the oil out at 1K and send it in for analysis. it might not come back with anything because the engine was so new and its hard to tell. replace the oil with the same "breakin" oil and send it in for analysis at 1K interval.
Did a search but couldn't find it. Any idea?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

you might have to PM road rage, i might have read that thread in either this forum or a link to an s2000 forum.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did a search but couldn't find it. Any idea?
Yep, it's MaxLife Engine Protector from Valvoline. Get it at Pep Boys and other auto stores.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
05 TL NBP Navi

Jhan1102, I feel for you. Its bad to be screwed and have no marks to prove it. I would work w/honda re: oil change etc. You don't want to change the break in oil and later show the engine was damaged. Honda can blame you. They could say the engine was damaged not because of the air intake but because you changed the oil against the manufactures recommendations. etc. Heck if Honda would void our warrenties for installing a K&N filter, how can they say your car wasn't damaged for running without a filter?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Racer

Thank you so~ much for all you guys help!!

I am in the talk with the dealer, and the service dept. to get things fixed.
When I was on the phone with the Acura CC, they told me that I should work with the regional office, and the dealer.

1. Bumper must be fixed since it was the dealer error.
2. They should have saw the intake noise during the pre-inspections, and my first visit to complain about the problem.
3. I have to wait 3000-4000 miles to get my oil change. I must follow "their" rules.

It's ok... I'll move on. I am going to get my self K&N filter now since the damage is already done. If they ever! talk crap about my future engine damage is caused by the filter I will cut their balls off.

I really wish that I don't get 14 MPG cuz of this stupid crap when other people are getting 22+ MPG.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Racer

Ps. I think now that intake is hooked up, I am getting 17 MPG when I used to get 20 MPG city drive. freakin filter!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Racer

John, when you hook up those filters (K&N, Injen, AEM), you'd get lower mileage because they need more gas to free up some ponies... I get around 20MPG coz my avg mph is about 25-30 due to stop & go... so 17 is not that bad...
Old 02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Racer

I still have stock filter on now. I am going to order K&N tonight. Just got the sway bar. =)