Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Tint law question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Tint law question...

I know this topic has been beaten to the groud but I have a few questions. I went to the tintcenter.com and it sates front windows can be 70% light may pass. So this is telling me I can tint the front. But I went to a few tint places and they say "no tint maybe applied to the front windows" either I have to sign a waver or deney where I got the tint if I get pulled over. Im confused. Is this the latest and greatest most recent law? I heard the TL comes with pre UV coating in the glass so by adding tint your adding an additional %15 I belive. Forgot what the magic number was. Here is the cut out from tintcenter.com page.

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob289
I know this topic has been beaten to the groud but I have a few questions. I went to the tintcenter.com and it sates front windows can be 70% light may pass. So this is telling me I can tint the front. But I went to a few tint places and they say "no tint maybe applied to the front windows" either I have to sign a waver or deney where I got the tint if I get pulled over. Im confused. Is this the latest and greatest most recent law? I heard the TL comes with pre UV coating in the glass so by adding tint your adding an additional %15 I belive. Forgot what the magic number was. Here is the cut out from tintcenter.com page.

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
Sticker Requirements No sticker to identify legal tinting is required.
Medical Exemption State law does NOT allow medical exemptions that would allow you use special tint.

Thanks in advance.
Per both the cops and the courts, you cannot put ANY tint on front windows, back and rear is unlimited.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Pretty much what was said above - I have talked to a few police officers that said if there is a slight tint, and I'm talking about the least amount of tint possible, thats okay. Usually thats because its too hard to tell anything is on the windows. You still run the risk of getting dinged though.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
^^^

Chose your battles and your defense wisely. Don't rely on secondary sources that can't help you in court. Assume that tinting the front side windows is illegal or find the state information on a state website. Now, do as you please if you are prepared to accept the consequences. Enforcement is random imho. Some areas are really strict others not at all.

I see many cars and trucks that have all kinds of tint including mirror on front sides. I went with a 35% 3M a few years ago. No problems so far but I'll remove it if pressed.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
^^^

Chose your battles and your defense wisely. Don't rely on secondary sources that can't help you in court. Assume that tinting the front side windows is illegal or find the state information on a state website. Now, do as you please if you are prepared to accept the consequences. Enforcement is random imho. Some areas are really strict others not at all.

I see many cars and trucks that have all kinds of tint including mirror on front sides. I went with a 35% 3M a few years ago. No problems so far but I'll remove it if pressed.

I don't have any tint on my front windows and I don't plan on ever getting them done. I simply said you run the risk of still getting dinged because you can't have any. Even the shop said it was a cash only no receipt transaction.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
70% transmission is a lot. The film would be VERY light. I don't think a cop would notice it. Of course you'd barely notice it too so you have to decide if it would even be worth it. I think 50% tint is about the lightest you can go and still notice a difference.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
As has oft been noted on this topic, if pulled over by the Police for ANY reason,
simply ROLL DOWN BOTH THE FRONT WINDOWS- tint disappears inside the door panel

Unless you have total blacked out windows, the chances of being stopped for just the tint is low- more likely you have some other attention getting device such as loud exhaust, flashy oversized rims, wings, blaster stereo, or perhaps moving swiftly BUT not smoothly thru traffic.

It also helps if you are older, you guys in your 20s are just a ripe for the Police Pickins
Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Will do a little more research on the topic on hand. If its true on the 70% fronts I would opt to get the tint even tho its almost not noticable. Little tint is better than no tint. Getting worried about the hot Cali sun beating on ebony interior.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
As has oft been noted on this topic, if pulled over by the Police for ANY reason,
simply ROLL DOWN BOTH THE FRONT WINDOWS- tint disappears inside the door panel

Unless you have total blacked out windows, the chances of being stopped for just the tint is low- more likely you have some other attention getting device such as loud exhaust, flashy oversized rims, wings, blaster stereo, or perhaps moving swiftly BUT not smoothly thru traffic.

It also helps if you are older, you guys in your 20s are just a ripe for the Police Pickins
Yea this only works when the police dont ask you to roll them up again. Happaned before in my friends car. Got pulled over because his lience plate light fell off and was just hanging out and got pulled over. The funny part was it was night and he got dinged with tint. Officer asked him to roll up his windows and got him. Good thing was he got a warning and got it removed.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Racer

The cops are gonna notice if you roll your windows down when they pull you over, so that won't help. If you want to be sure not to get a ticket, don't tint your windows......