Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye Bye Intake Silencer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bye Bye Intake Silencer!

I wasn't having a real good day today, so I went for a cruise in my TL to lift my spirits. All was well until I got home and found a tire going flat. I pulled the wheel of and ran it up to the tire store to get fixed. When I got home, I decided to make the best of it and rotate my tires. When I got to the front left, I stared at the fenderwell and thought "Intake silencer, your time is up." :devil: I think I started with the intention of just scoping the job, but it was simple and quickly got serious.

Removal was straighforward. I pulled the fasteners for the front of the fender liner and pulled it back. There were four bolts that held the intake assembly in place. I had to drill out the two rivets between the bottom of the silencer and the tubing in order to remove them in two parts. I left the rubber 'donut' on the intake housing based on the recommendations I saw regarding second gen CL's on A-CL - thanks guys!

Here are a few pics:

Intake from above without silencer - looks stock huh? Even more so with all the shrouding reinstalled! The inlet location is still very high, so I expect no water problems.

Intake from below - nice clean shot, straight to the filter. No restrictions here!

Here's what was pulled out:

Finally, here's a shot of the intake silencer internals. Two ports top and bottom:

Driving impressions:
The car definitely seems to have more power above 5000 - the car was pulling noticably harder in the twisties, and it was a hot day today. I'm getting more wheelspin on my 1st to 2nd shift now as well. To all those who distrust the 'butt dyno', you are right to do so. I'd like to get the car dyno'd but no promises on how soon I can get to it.

Still nice and quiet idling and everyday cruising. No difference unless I'm on the gas - perfect. The sound at idle may be a bit deeper, but that could be my imagination. Big difference at higher RPM's. Around 3000 or so, heavy throttle results in a nice, deeper-toned growl. Above 5000 RPM, the car sounds wonderful - louder and a bit meaner. No weird or unpleasant sounds. I think it was a productive change, especially considering the cost - freebie!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may get brave enough to try this one day, I definitely would love a little more of the engine's tone.

By the way, I see your garage looks much like mine! Woodworking! I shoved everything into one side so I could park my TL, but that won't fly for long cause my wife still wants to park in th garage. Gotta get mobile bases fast.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:08 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh man! well done. its about time u got taht taken out. next meet ur gonna be ROARing! crazy 3rd Genners' we've been doin it for years! hahah good one mike!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious as to the theoretical and "real-world" MPG implications for something like this.

Theoretically, would there be a MPG increase or decrease? Why?

"Real-world" MPG increase or decrease? Was it according to theory? If not, what factors may have affected it?

Just curious. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Those are great pix, Aegir. Thank your for posting. This is another one for the "TL Garage"....Rets?

I would think that with the slightly freer airflow, this mod would lead to slightly increased gas mileage.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Resonators can actually improve midrange torque, by using Helmholtz resonance principles to tune the intake tract, just as the intake runners tune the air/fuel intake. It may sound different, but the driving effects are minimal at best. Indeed, I have seen engineering monographs at the SAE that Volvo provided where mid-range torque dropped, and fuel economy suffered a bit. A few ponies at the top of the RPM range may be useful if that is where yous pend 90% of your time, as in racing.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Instructor

why not just get rid of the whole thing

http://www.coximport.com/aem/inductionapps.html
look for the 04 TL
Old 06-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

Hey!!!

Great write-up! You da man!

I have a couple questions for you.

You wrote "I had to drill out the two rivets between the bottom of the silencer and the tubing in order to remove them in two parts."

1. Does this mean you won't be able to put it back on now?

2. Can I remove mine without any drilling?

3 How do you think this effect the "RAM AIR" effect that we have with the resonator and tubs in place?

4. Do you think you are actually getting les air in at high speeds now due to you removing the ram air?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Instructor

http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...Acura%20TL.pdf

sorry AEM says "coming soon" as it is not available yet???
Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Aegir, any changes in the sound? Any hissing?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by flnsx
Hey!!!

Great write-up! You da man!

I have a couple questions for you.

You wrote "I had to drill out the two rivets between the bottom of the silencer and the tubing in order to remove them in two parts."

1. Does this mean you won't be able to put it back on now?

2. Can I remove mine without any drilling?

3 How do you think this effect the "RAM AIR" effect that we have with the resonator and tubs in place?

4. Do you think you are actually getting les air in at high speeds now due to you removing the ram air?
1. I can reinstall if I decide to - either based on future driving impressions or a future dyno (need to find a shop). The two pieces snap together, and the rivets could be easily replaced.
2. I think the whole assembly would come out as one piece if the front bumper was removed.
3. I don't think the old system provided a ram air effect, but it did duct cool air up to the inlet. The outlet of the duct from the bumper sat about five inches below and to the right of the inlet.
4. No, if anything the car is getting more air at higher RPMs. It feels noticibly stronger above 5000. I'm basing this on running through turns in third gear between 4500 and 6000 - sustained driving, not just quick blasts through first and second.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by joganjani
Aegir, any changes in the sound? Any hissing?
No change in normal driving. Deeper tone at full throttle around 3000 and higher. No hissing.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by jackal2001
why not just get rid of the whole thing

http://www.coximport.com/aem/inductionapps.html
look for the 04 TL
It was a free and easy modification. I'm happy with the initial results and I'll see how it dyno's. If I decide to add a CAI in the future, the hard work is done.

The AEM dyno you posted is impressive, especially the torque!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You should consider a hi-flow FRAM or K&N filter now .. you'd probably clinch the effect you've desired...

Damn good write-up .. awesome pics.. a great read!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

I know exactly what the sound difference was for you ... b/c I recall the difference from when I went from a stock TL-S airbox to the Comptech Icebox... the sound was just like yours afterwards: perfectly quiet at idle and light-moderate throttle... midrange DID suffer a tad.. but high-end was nice in terms of growl... didn't notice ANY performance gains.

Your psychological desire to justify your 2 to 3 hour endeavor usually adds 10-15hp in your mind.. but if you're happy, that's the point. I think the sound alone is worth it all!
Old 06-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Team NightHawk VP

took mine out about a month ago, awsome sound, love the roar when vtec kicks in. and the nice rumble growl at 3500. if anyone wants a mean noise and cant spend money, this is your mod
Old 06-27-2004, 07:56 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by Aegir
It was a free and easy modification. I'm happy with the initial results and I'll see how it dyno's. If I decide to add a CAI in the future, the hard work is done.

The AEM dyno you posted is impressive, especially the torque!
What dyno?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:24 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by GaleForce
What dyno?
Look for a link to a PDF File in this thread. Its the Dyno Results from AEM for the Cold Air on a 2004 TL
Old 06-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

Dyno doesn’t really work on Cold air boxes or airflow improvements.

You really need to be moving.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Sigh, Acura tries hard to beat the rice wrap....
Old 06-27-2004, 09:16 PM
SOLD

Aegir, I thought that you could remove JUST the resonator box and not the entire system. My car is in the shop right now and (no pics, sorry) because of the accident the whole induction system is showing on the car. I was going to have the body shop remove the resonator box, but now might possibly remove the enitre system. I am concerned about the effect on low-midrange torque sans resonator. Do you feel any difference negative or positive in low and mid range?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jackal2001
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-...Acura%20TL.pdf

sorry AEM says "coming soon" as it is not available yet???

LOL!! 20whp and 18lb-ft of torque... that's the biggest crock of sh-t I've ever seen ... just for an air intake???!!

My headers barely got me over 25whp and 20lb-ft of torque on my TypeS
Old 06-27-2004, 10:11 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
LOL!! 20whp and 18lb-ft of torque... that's the biggest crock of sh-t I've ever seen ... just for an air intake???!!

My headers barely got me over 25whp and 20lb-ft of torque on my TypeS
Yes, you must consider that they are in a business, the results are to encourage sales and may be biased accordingly. It needs to be tested by a source independant of the production company as a control. One of the mechanics at the dealership told me headers add around 10% horsepower. For just an intake I wouldn't expect much more than around 10HP/10lb-ft.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 PM