3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2005 Acura TL Anthracite with 172K for $4,500 a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
lol ok. It's called protecting one's privacy. I learned my lesson after I sold my old Accord to a local teenager.

Car had no issues and he drove it for 6 months before he hit a pothole and something in the suspension got loose. Did he take it to a mechanic? Nope, he came by my house multiple times asking me if I knew what it was? Seriously? Does the sign on the mailbox say Meineke?

Call it shady if you want, but me selling a vehicle does not constitute me becoming his personal mechanic or his new 'best friend'. Seems like you may be the kind of person that goes back to the prior owner weeks or months after buying a car from them, eh?
Old 02-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by screaminz28
Curious, do you mean the woman you purchased it from? Didn't you buy it from a person to person sale and not a dealer?

Why are you going back to them? I have to say WTF in this instance. Person to person auto sales are not Wal-Mart, there's no return policy.

No offense, but the mentality that someone would call me AFTER they drove off in the car is why I use a PO Box on the title, and use a throw away google voice number for selling, and also meet in a parking lot. I would probably laugh at someone that tried to call me after a car transaction is done. Geez.

Anywho, you'll probably be fine for a while to clear the code, but it's probably the cat, and not the o2 sensor. Since it is just for catalyst efficiency, it should not affect mileage at all. It might affect emissions testing, and using defoulers won't change that.
She was actually very understanding about the whole situation and I explained that I haven't even driven the car for 100 miles. She said she'll try to get her mechanic to do the repair without labor charge. And we met because the car had her old plates on still.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by YungMoola15
She was actually very understanding about the whole situation and I explained that I haven't even driven the car for 100 miles. She said she'll try to get her mechanic to do the repair without labor charge. And we met because the car had her old plates on still.
If the mechanic has half a brain, he'll tell you to reset the MID and then come back if it comes on again...
Old 02-14-2015, 11:12 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I guess it's nice of her to get YOUR car repaired on her dime. That's the nature of an as-is sale- it implies that you as the new owner assume all risk of future repairs associated with ownership. The prior owner could have told you to go pound sand as you willingly purchased her car as is.

I actually wrote up a contract with my son in law as we gave him (not sold to him) my wife's prior Cadillac CTS (it had 110,000 miles at the time he took ownership)- the contract basically said any future repairs were on him (as it should be). It's been a decent car but I don't want to know about any issues with it as it's no longer my (or the Mrs.' car).

Years ago, my brother sold his Mitsubishi Starion as is to a buyer for something like $1500. The owner then felt it OK to call my brother after taking ownership to ask him all kinds of questions about the car (after a while, my brother stopped answering). Once you own, it's yours, problems and all.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
If the mechanic has half a brain, he'll tell you to reset the MID and then come back if it comes on again...

Yes I don't think I'll take the offer unless it's less than $300 otherwise reset and drive. I already reset it yesterday so let's see when it come back..
Old 02-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by erdoc48
I guess it's nice of her to get YOUR car repaired on her dime. That's the nature of an as-is sale- it implies that you as the new owner assume all risk of future repairs associated with ownership. The prior owner could have told you to go pound sand as you willingly purchased her car as is.

I actually wrote up a contract with my son in law as we gave him (not sold to him) my wife's prior Cadillac CTS (it had 110,000 miles at the time he took ownership)- the contract basically said any future repairs were on him (as it should be). It's been a decent car but I don't want to know about any issues with it as it's no longer my (or the Mrs.' car).

Years ago, my brother sold his Mitsubishi Starion as is to a buyer for something like $1500. The owner then felt it OK to call my brother after taking ownership to ask him all kinds of questions about the car (after a while, my brother stopped answering). Once you own, it's yours, problems and all.
She's not paying the mechanic anything. She said the mechanic works on all her familiy's cars.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:28 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
If there's work or parts involved, she will be paying...no mechanic works for free (not the smart ones anyway).
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by YungMoola15
FWIW, I think you are very lucky. I'm sure the prior owner is probably feeling bad about the situation, but as others have said, you bought, you own it. You should be working to solve this issue on your own. Using her mechanic? Okay but why not use your own? Why use hers?
And why in the world did she let you drive off with her plates? AND why are you driving around with her plates? Haven't you reregistered the car in your name??
Old 02-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
FWIW, I think you are very lucky. I'm sure the prior owner is probably feeling bad about the situation, but as others have said, you bought, you own it. You should be working to solve this issue on your own. Using her mechanic? Okay but why not use your own? Why use hers?
And why in the world did she let you drive off with her plates? AND why are you driving around with her plates? Haven't you reregistered the car in your name??
Lol so many questions.

We met in the evening to get the car and she said to drive with her plates and meet up after registering the car so I can return the plates to her. The lady is super rich and she could give a shit about $4250. She just said that since it's only been like 2 days after the CEL came on and less than 100 miles she was shocked to hear about it. So she said she would contact her family mechanic to see if he could put on the CAT if I buy the part.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
I stand by what I said - "you are lucky." If you had an accident on your way home and injured someone, yourself or caused damage to someone else's property, it would be on her insurance. She would still have your $4250 and may not care about it because she is rich but dealing with the insurance co and all that........
Anyhow, hope things work out okay for you.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Racer

The light came back on within 24 hours. I reset it yesterday at 1pm and it just came back on now.