3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brotherhood/Sisterhood for 3rd Generation TL owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brotherhood/Sisterhood for 3rd Generation TL owners?

Guys and Gals,

I know this may sound corny or cheesy... But, ever seen fellow motorcyclists or truckers honk or beep or wave to one another? Why not create our own bond with fellow 3rd G TL drivers out there? I am willing to abide what we decide here in this thread... i.e. I nice *honk* *honk*, or a long *hooooooonk*, or a wave, etc... DISCUSS!!

with my TL!!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
There was a thread last month that addressed this http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82064

The gneral consensus is that more people will look at you as if you are crazy than will wave or honk back. Something to do with modern living, I guess.

It would be nice if this would happen, but don't get your hopes up. I have waved or honked at a few people, especially those with WDP like mine, but get absolutely no response, so I quit doing it.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:22 AM
05 S2000, 07 SI

just wanted to share my experiences so far..

The other day driving down RT9 a Silver TL coming towards me from the other side of the road and started to slow down -- the guy was looking at my TL... I looked at him and we nodded and then gave each other the thumbs up!

Another Silver TL (also in RT9) was driving in front of me... so I speed to catch him and check it out his ride --- ofcourse, he started to race me instead! :P ...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I attracted a LOT of attention when I first got my '99 Solara. It was August 1998 and I was probably one of the first ones registered in New York State. Not a day went by during the first few months that someone didn't stop and ask questions or compliment the car. Nowadays they're all over the place.

My '69 Dart attracts a lot of attention in the form of waves, thumbs-up, and questions. I almost always go out of my way to acknowledge vintage cars regardless of whether I'm driving the Dart or not.

I can't see waving at other TL owners. It's kinda like Larry Davis in "Curb Your Enthusiasm" when he got upset that he waved at a Prius owner and they didn't wave back.

Just seems a bit weird...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Team Anthracite

I see quite a few TL's around here, but good luck getting their attention. Last week another Anthracite passed me slowly as I was getting into my exit lane. I looked over to give a thumbs up and check out their tint; nothing. They looked straight ahead so intently it almost seemed intentional.

No one on THIS board I hope! Oh well. Theres another anthracite in my parking garage at work, haven't met that person yet. (Building 117 at MS anyone?) heh. I gotta hope if I ever met this person they'd at least wave.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by timdaley73
Guys and Gals,

I know this may sound corny or cheesy... But, ever seen fellow motorcyclists or truckers honk or beep or wave to one another? Why not create our own bond with fellow 3rd G TL drivers out there? I am willing to abide what we decide here in this thread... i.e. I nice *honk* *honk*, or a long *hooooooonk*, or a wave, etc... DISCUSS!!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Well, it was just a thought... But, if some of us start and it may catch on!! Just a thought!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Most people who buy an Acura will never dream of finding this forum, let alone searching for other TL's on the road to wave to.

My Camaro SS gets a wave from a fellow SS owner about 1 out 10 times. The rest of time I don't think the other SS driver even realizes or cares that I am there.

The only car I have ever owned that got waves was my WRX.

I know Corvette owners tend to wave to each other.

A luxury sedan is not going to get a lot of people waving at each other.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:23 AM
TL hacker

Not going to happen.

Motorcycles are a different cult altogether. I know, I also ride bikes.

But I sometimes like to talk to other '04 TL owners when I see them. Sometimes I go through extra efforts to get next to them at a stop light, roll down the window, give the thumbs up and start congratulating each other for choosing such a nice car.

But more often than not, I run into snobs who know I'm there but just don't give a crap. Even tried to talk to a fellow golfer at the club about his new black TL the other day and he completly ignored me and walked away.

It's definetly not the same culture as bikers. Most owners aren't as friendly as the folks on this forum.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Racer

Think of it this way...

You are in a MacDonald's eating a Big Mac.
Some loser comes over and says "Hey I'm eating a Big Mac too...will you be my friend?".

If you're a normal person, you give him a cold stare and say, "No Thanks".

That's the way it is with some people and their cars.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:06 PM
TL hacker

Point me to the Big Mac forum, lets just see if the people there are as friendly and enthusiastic about a product they like than many here appear to be.

I've seen TL meets in a few cities and I've even attended one here in town. But I've yet to see a Big Mac meet at a local McDonalds.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Well, it was just a thought... But, if some of us start and it may catch on!! Just a thought!
How about gang signs, followed by a cooing sound? I give the courtesy nod, if I honk, get outta my way.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Guys and Gals,

:ghey:
Old 07-22-2004, 06:25 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

I had a funny experience with another Anthracite TL. A few weeks ago, in the Orange Mall parking lot, I noticed this TL coming towards me. A woman was driving with a young boy in the passengers seat. As we passed each other, the boy pointed at me and the woman looked over in my direction. So, I smiled and gave them a nod. The woman suddenly gave me this look like I was from outer space. Her jaw dropped and her eyes bugged out of her skull. I couldn't help but laugh.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:01 PM
SOLD

The only people that would wave/honk/whatever at their own car are enthusiasts like us on this board, which is a small % of the TL population. Otherwise, good luck.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I've given up on waving to others in TLs. As NightRider says, most people are simply not car enthusiasts. They are, instead, like my wife, who sees her car as an appliance instead of as an expression of self. If I bought her a '87 Grand Am (ewwww), she'd drive it and be happy. Nothing wrong with that, but where's the fun?

Luckily, some enthusiasts exist in the real world. For example, I played "tag" with a nice black G35x on the way to work this AM. I still get lots of comments from people who wish they could own a TL, or just like the way the car looks--even here at GM/Ford Central, Northeast Ohio.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Most 48 year old school teachers I see driving the TL can't see let alone wave.

I propose the one-finger salute for the Gen 2 TL owners who continue to snub us.

BJ
Old 07-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
since I always drive with my lights on, I reach and on/off with my fog lights to other TL's.. if they don't ACK, that's their business. They're not so popular in ATL yet that they are a dime a dozen. At least I don't see them that often.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Interestingly enough, I was waved to by an older (mid 60s) couple on Rt. 128 here in MA just last week in their 04. I was actually shocked since the gentleman and I was stuck in traffic and just crawling along and he made quite an effort to turn quickly, look over and give a thumbs up. Other than that, I usually get gawked at by kids in their slammed Civics and Accords.

dsc888
Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 PM
JBM
Intermediate

Car signs . . .

I don't think it's that weird that enthusiasts or just people you like their cars wave/greet others with the same car.

My first experience with Acura was after my very first car (an 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88) was stolen and totalled (don't ask my why anyone would steal that car, it only had value to me). I was looking for a car with airbags (which at that time, was not standard), and I found the Acura Vigor (the TL's grandfather). I loved it, and thought I would never have another car. I got it in the middle of 91 and it was a 92 model (first year for the Vigor). And for a while no one had one. But the times I did see one on the road or in a parking lot, we both would give each other the thumbs up or mouth to each other, "Nice car." I remember one time when I was at this rest stop on the highway getting a drink, and another black 92 Vigor parked next to me. The owner and I compared cars immediately and started talking about little modifications, just like we had known each other. It was a great feeling. You felt a sense of community and affirmation that you bought a great car. Kinda like the feeling I get when I read posts on this forum about people's great experiences with their car. I can't describe that feeeling, but you all know what I'm talking about. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here reading. =)

Then one crisp fall day in 1995, my sister borrowed my car and totalled it. And by then the Vigor had become the TL, but I went and bought a Ford Explorer (just to get a taste of the SUV life). The Explorer is truly a dime a dozen, which was nice if you were trying to elude the police (all you had to do was get into some traffic and he would never know which Explorer was you). But because of the commonality of the vehicle, that sense of community wasn't there.

Again, my Explorer met an untimely demise (again, not by my hand). And I leased a 2002 Audi A4 in 2001. At that time, the A4 was completely redesigned and not many people had one. That sense of community and affirmation was then rekindled when I saw another 02 A4 and we exchanged approving nods. But as the popularity of the A4 skyrocketed, that sense has dwindled.

Now with my upcoming delivery of my TL (the descendent of my Vigor), I feel that same sense of community. I guess my only concern would be that if the TL becomes so popular and, "common," will we lose that community?

P.S. I will say, I enjoyed the Big Mac comment or the one finger salute comment from earlier in the thread. =)
Old 07-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Team WD Member

Originally Posted by albeik
... a Silver TL coming towards me from the other side of the road and started to slow down -- the guy was looking at my TL... I looked at him and we nodded and then gave each other the thumbs up!
That seems to be my experience. If the TL is coming towards me I'll usually flash my brights quickly. Sees to work. My grandfather and father used to honk the "shave and a haircut" which evoked a "two bits" from the other car.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
How about it?

Well could shoot a pressed ham....

XP