Bridgestone VS Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004 | 02:57 PM
Instructor

Bridgestone VS Michelin

I know that there are numberous threads and complaints in regards to the EL42s...

My question is - does everybody hate Bridgestone or just the EL42. I think that Bridgestone makes great tires, except for the EL42s.

What do you guys think of the LS-Z Turanzas. When I checked it on TireRack it received great ratings, slightly better that Michelin Pilot Sports when I compared the two.

Are you selecting the Michelins because it is slightly cheaper, or because it's a ultra high performance all season vs. grand touring all season of the Bridgestone. Or is it just you had a bad taste of Bridgestone that you want to pick another tire company? Just curious...
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:10 PM
Racer

Al I have to say is they are owned by Firestone
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:15 PM
Banned

Michelins are being selected to prevent the cold tire flat spotting that is happening with the EL-42's.

Per a post at vtec.net from the tire rack, the nylon belts in tires can cause flatspotting, and the EL-42's use that construction, while the Michellin Pilots uses polyamid belts in place of the nylon, so they are more cold flat spot resistant.

While the LS-Z Turanzas are rated high, they too use nylon belts and an owner has reported they flat spot also, plus many of us want performance tires vs touring tires, where the Pilots are performance, and the LS-Z are touring.

The main reason is to get rid of the tire flat spotting issues, while many have gone to Michellin, it has been for two reasons, one, their choice, two, it is what some dealers have replaced them with.

Others have gone to the Perelli PZero Nero M+S and have been just as happy, they car cheaper than the mich tires, and do not flat spot.

Remember, the tires MUST have a W rating (too match what Acrua wanted on the car as the top speed exceeds 150mph) so this limits the tire offerings also.

I also think it is partially that people do not want birdgestone tires after the raw deal they did to all the owners and the crappy tire construction.

In my book, Bridgestone took a giant leap backwards to the Firstone Wilderness days by making a tire like they did. I had receintly considered the S-03's but will NEVER go to BS or Firestone again!!!!

Can't wait to get rid of my car's BS shoes and will not feel safe until I do.
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:24 PM
Instructor

Thanks LED Master for the info... I still have my EL42s, I haven't really notice any problems with them, no vibrations or flatspotting. At least I know what to replace them with when I wear them out, or if I started experiencing those problems.
Old 01-13-2004 | 03:32 PM
Advanced

6spdzoomzoom,

Bridgestone owns Firestone.

I have very few miles on the car and have not had the vibration problem. These tires will not cut it in an New England winter though. Hopefully, by summer Acura will have come up with a replacement tire for us.

I have a lot of confidence in Bridgestone.

I ordered Bridgestone LM-22 snow for the car. I have these for my S2000 and I find them to be a great high speed winter tire.

My S2000 also has Bridgestone S-02 tires which have been the best summer performance tires I have owned.
Old 01-13-2004 | 08:15 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Re: Bridgestone VS Michelin

Originally posted by ulangca
I know that there are numberous threads and complaints in regards to the EL42s...

My question is - does everybody hate Bridgestone or just the EL42. I think that Bridgestone makes great tires, except for the EL42s.

What do you guys think of the LS-Z Turanzas. When I checked it on TireRack it received great ratings, slightly better that Michelin Pilot Sports when I compared the two.

Are you selecting the Michelins because it is slightly cheaper, or because it's a ultra high performance all season vs. grand touring all season of the Bridgestone. Or is it just you had a bad taste of Bridgestone that you want to pick another tire company? Just curious...
The EL-42's on my TL are the second BS tire I personally have owned. My father has had many BS's over the years and has had great service out of them. One of my previous cars had Michelin tires from the factory - most excellent tire. 42K miles and never needed balancing, only rotation. I replaced them with BS S03 Pole Positions. Cost was less and the S03's were outstanding performers - once the flatspotting went away..... So, besides the 100% flatspotting issue, I would say that BS has good tires, just not the EL-42's. Prior to the TL I had a Maxima with Pilot Sport A/S's. Besides no flatspotting they were an OUTSTANDING tire. The only A- I would give would be maybe some additional road noise.. It's hard to say not being able to drive back to back to compare...

Smitty
Old 01-13-2004 | 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by 6spdzoomzoom
Al I have to say is they are owned by Firestone
Actually, it's the other way around. Bridgestone bought Firestone. I also wouldn't be too quick to diss either one. Firestone is the primary supplier for Indy racing league and Bridgestone supplies about half of Formula One, including the top driver Michael Schumacher.

I run on Bridgestone RE950s and would buy them again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:35 PM
Instructor

Schumacher is one of the few to use Bridgestone and he was none to happy with them this past season since he had to work for this championship unlike the year before - many races he wasn't even competitive.