Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004 | 06:01 PM
Instructor

Brembo Brakes

I'm almost ready to change my brake pads early. Has anyone found another brand of brakes that produce less brake dust and less squeaking? I actually have to clean my front wheels about every 2 days. It is getting rediculous! I even remember reading an article saying that the 6MT brakes don't improve braking as much as we would think. This is my only complaint with my car, but it is a bit annoying.
Old 06-29-2004 | 06:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Which review did you see? 6MT seems to get better braking performance than 5AT, what do you mean "...6MT brakes don't improve braking as much as we would think..."? Thanks...

Doesn't G35's Brembo generate lots of dust, too?
Old 06-29-2004 | 06:05 PM
never stops!

How many miles on your 6MT? I've 9000 miles on mine and my pads are still good. Also I do not have to clean my wheels that often. I clean every other weeks. Had Zainoed the wheels in the begining thouhg. Try waxing your wheels might reduce the dust settles.
Old 06-29-2004 | 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by decky243
I'm almost ready to change my brake pads early. Has anyone found another brand of brakes that produce less brake dust and less squeaking? I actually have to clean my front wheels about every 2 days. It is getting rediculous! I even remember reading an article saying that the 6MT brakes don't improve braking as much as we would think. This is my only complaint with my car, but it is a bit annoying.
1. What type of tires are you running? The stock Bridgestone? If so, switch to a Pilot (low mileage life, ultra performance) or a Bridgestone RE-750 (very high performance, excellent mileage life). The stock 'stones suck. Braking performance is equal parts tires and brakes. I know that my performance changes drastically when I install my winters.

2. The EBC Green Stuff pads reduce dust quite a bit and have great grip (comparing on my E46 328i).
Old 06-29-2004 | 07:46 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Originally Posted by jdl75
The EBC Green Stuff pads reduce dust quite a bit and have great grip (comparing on my E46 328i).

I would also reccommend these, I have them on my volkswagen. Excellent performance and very, very little brake dust.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html
Old 06-29-2004 | 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

Too much brake dust...

I have brake dust too and I need to clean rim every 100 miles, specially the front one. It is weird because I do not use them every often (using motor compression must of the times). However, I don't have any squeaks and the car is braking well.

Question: What is your average mileage city and highway? Mine is not quiet good.
Old 06-29-2004 | 08:52 PM
3rd Gear

Best performing brakes with almost no dust that I've ever tried are Axxis Metal Masters. The best performing pads that I've ever used (I'm thrilled to death with these pads) are the PBR Ultra Ceramic pads. I usually purchase all my rotors and pads at www.philsinc.com They can provide you with some guidance too. You won't believe how the Ultra Metallic's work. By the way... PBR makes the Axxis pads too.
Old 06-29-2004 | 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aspector Gadget

I would also reccommend these, I have them on my volkswagen. Excellent performance and very, very little brake dust.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html
which one red, green or yellow? will the color of the pad show up when you look at the brakes. i would prefer it didn't cause it would clash with the black brembo caliper.
Old 06-29-2004 | 09:38 PM
Instructor

I have 10,400 miles on my car. I've tried bedding in my brakes and waxing my wheels. If I cleaned the front wheels once a week, they would look black. There is no way I could go every other week without cleaning the front wheels. I am running the stock tires for now. I forgot where I read this, but, the magazine said that the Brembo's did not signifigantly out perform the 5MT brakes in terms of stopping distance. The Brembo's probably have less fade than the 5MT's. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-29-2004 | 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

... ...I forgot where I read this, but, the magazine said that the Brembo's did not signifigantly out perform the 5MT brakes in terms of stopping distance. The Brembo's probably have less fade than the 5MT's......

I would pay extra attention to that article if possible. Most of reviews as I said are quite praising Brembo of 6MT so far... for example, http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...492#highlights, "...Strong, confident stopping power further enhanced by manual's Brembo brakes...", which I quoted from Consumer Guide.

If you want to see more... check here... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73970

Wish everything goes well with your car...
Old 06-30-2004 | 09:50 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Originally Posted by caball88
which one red, green or yellow? will the color of the pad show up when you look at the brakes. i would prefer it didn't cause it would clash with the black brembo caliper.
The green ones are for street, others are for track use.

Does the color show? It did on my VW so I got some high temp caliper paint and sprayed the back of the pads to match the caliper before installing them. This way I don't see any green when I look at them.

I'm not sure if the green would be visible through the Acura calipers or not. If you can see the back of the OEM pad then yes you will see the back of the EBC pad.
Old 06-30-2004 | 01:49 PM
Instructor

I can't remember what magazine it was, but there was a thread about it that I found.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...pping+distance
Old 06-30-2004 | 02:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I can't remember what magazine it was, but there was a thread about it that I found.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...pping+distance

Thanks, you found the good one... but with the factors of "fading" and "consistent", Brembo will be much better than 5AT's... If getting better treads, the stopping distance will be even better for both of systems.
Old 06-30-2004 | 04:53 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

The back of the pad won't show up. You will see the side of th pad if you look close enough to the wheel, not if you are standing straight.

Since the pads that come wiht the Brembo brakes are most likely made with the same compound, they feel equally strong. The difference lies in brake "feel", modulation, and heat resistance. In my previos car, a 2003 6speed V6 Accord (3,265), stopping from 120 to 75 would warp the rotors (11.2 inch in front). I was actually rotating them every 3 months for the year I owned the car.

The TL has worked out at least 2 stops from 120 to 75 without any trouble, being a heavier car (3,400 or so?). And I have only 1,750 miles on it. With the dust issue I have to agree. I notice the difference in wheel shine after about 120~150 miles of driving after a wash. A real eye sore.