Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes 5AT to 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:08 PM
husd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes 5AT to 6MT

yo wat up!! I'm a newbe just bought my wife 06 TL a-spec 5AT. can anyone tell me if you can change the front brakes to the brembo brakes, just like the 6MT. and how much$$$$$. dealership was not helpful. thx
Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Those Brembos are pretty wicked, they stop on a dime, hard to even compare them to the brakes you AT people get. Its worth getting the MT for the brakes alone. But beware if you can get them, they shed brake dust pretty bad. You will be cleaning rims weekly if not more. You have been warned...
Old 05-20-2006, 12:38 AM
husd

thx bro!!! going try too!!!! I'll b cleaning brake dust!!!!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:53 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Make life easy on yourself. Just get the A-Spec brake pads.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:52 AM
'06 6MT WDP

Also, give your wheels a few good coats of polish. Zaino Z-2 works wonders. My wife as an 05 VW GLI (old style) with the stock 18" BBS RC wheels. They are hell to clean but with the Zaino it's much easier.

Picking up my 6MT TL on Monday and that is the first thing I'm going to do.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wifey'sTL
yo wat up!! I'm a newbe just bought my wife 06 TL a-spec 5AT. can anyone tell me if you can change the front brakes to the brembo brakes, just like the 6MT. and how much$$$$$. dealership was not helpful. thx

wifey'sTL, Yes, you can...just curious why you wany to spend all that $$$$$ for the 6mt brakes?

You do realize that it involves more than swapping the rotors and calipers? Of course it's your choice but if you want better braking, invest in a "Big Brake Kit" from Rotora.

They have a front street setup for around $1400, which is close to what you'll spend in new parts to swap all the front end components to the 6mt brakes and the Rotora's will still dissapate heat far better.

Originally Posted by DMZ
Make life easy on yourself. Just get the A-Spec brake pads.

DMZ, he said they bought the A-Spec, so their TL should already have the new pads installed but............

wifey'sTL, Since the A-Spec is a dealer installed option, you might want to confirm that your dealer installed the 5AT A-Spec front brake pads. They do make a difference!

The most cost effective means would be to upgrade to high performance brake pads all around and put on the best tires you can afford. No matter what type of brakes your running, it all comes down to the tires!

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

P.S. I assume your in nothern CA right? Where abouts?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:00 PM
husd

thx for all the info!!!!! going to p/u the car today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
actually, its almost impossible to change. It has been documented several times. The 6MT brakes will not fit on a 5AT. Just go with the big brake upgrade from rotora.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
actually, its almost impossible to change. It has been documented several times. The 6MT brakes will not fit on a 5AT. Just go with the big brake upgrade from rotora.

Actually, it is very possible but it involves more than trying to swap calipers, rotors and pads.

The dust shields, knuckles, seals, ABS modulator, steering rack, drive shafts, etc.... are just some of the other parts/assemblies that need to be replaced as well. A very labor and parts intensive swap and in the end will cost far more than it's worth.

Ultimately, the best single performance upgrade to most cars is better tires! The tires ability (grip) to resist skidding will detirmine the effectiveness of any quality brake system.

Chao!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:54 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by CAHobbs
Actually, it is very possible but it involves more than trying to swap calipers, rotors and pads.

The dust shields, knuckles, seals, ABS modulator, steering rack, drive shafts, etc.... are just some of the other parts/assemblies that need to be replaced as well. A very labor and parts intensive swap and in the end will cost far more than it's worth.

Ultimately, the best single performance upgrade to most cars is better tires! The tires ability (grip) to resist skidding will detirmine the effectiveness of any quality brake system.

Chao!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
husd

thx for the info!!! a-spec pads work great!!!! i'm going to save my $$$$$$
Old 05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was ready to start a new thread with this same title but for different reasons, I'm curious what the life span of the brakes of an auto is compared to our 6MT, just yesterday I was driving behind this black TL whom for about a mile was just to my left and would not pass me, until she had to, obviously having a debaged TL she could not tell for sure if it was a TSX or a TL... , right, anyways getting back to the brakes, I must have counted 20 times that she had to apply the brakes vs me just letting the engine slow me down, therefore I'm wondering if the brakes on the auto would last a couple of years max, less if you live in the city but besides the brakes, the brake lights must also take a beating....don't you think??...
Old 05-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by HEK
I was ready to start a new thread with this same title but for different reasons, I'm curious what the life span of the brakes of an auto is compared to our 6MT, just yesterday I was driving behind this black TL whom for about a mile was just to my left and would not pass me, until she had to, obviously having a debaged TL she could not tell for sure if it was a TSX or a TL... , right, anyways getting back to the brakes, I must have counted 20 times that she had to apply the brakes vs me just letting the engine slow me down, therefore I'm wondering if the brakes on the auto would last a couple of years max, less if you live in the city but besides the brakes, the brake lights must also take a beating....don't you think??...
I think it's more because the driver didn't know how to control the speed without using the brakes. You see these people on the highway, tailgating another car and constantly braking every 2 seconds because they don't know how to maintain distance and match speed.