Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 11:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problem

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but am I the only one who finds it completely unacceptable that Acura has not addressed the well documented brake rotor problem on the 2nd gen TL's? From everything I've read here, they're using the same brakes on the 04's. Unless I opt for the 6 speed, I have a fairly good chance of repeated trips to the dealer to have the rotors resurfaced, then replaced after they reach the limits. I've gone through this with my 99 TL with 75k miles, and after 5 or 6 repairs since 15k, it's back to the same old shimmy. And I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the cross-drilled rotors fix the problem - at least not over an extended period of time
The bottom line is, I would buy this car in a heartbeat if I was confident that this problem was corrected. If not, I doubt I'll ever buy an Acura automobile again.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Re: Brake problem

Originally posted by msteele
I know this has been discussed in other threads, but am I the only one who finds it completely unacceptable that Acura has not addressed the well documented brake rotor problem on the 2nd gen TL's? From everything I've read here, they're using the same brakes on the 04's. Unless I opt for the 6 speed, I have a fairly good chance of repeated trips to the dealer to have the rotors resurfaced, then replaced after they reach the limits. I've gone through this with my 99 TL with 75k miles, and after 5 or 6 repairs since 15k, it's back to the same old shimmy. And I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the cross-drilled rotors fix the problem - at least not over an extended perid of time
The bottom line is, I would buy this car in a heartbeat if I was confident that this problem was corrected. If not, I doubt I'll ever buy a Acura automobile again.

I share your concern. My 2000 TL has had the rotors resurfaced/replaced so many times I finally lost count. I doubt the brakes on the 2004 TL (automatic transmission) are any different than the 2000-2003 TL.

I read somewhere that the design of the bodywork on the 2004 TL provides for better airflow to the brakes and presumably better brake cooling, which hopefully would lead to fewer warped rotors. Only time will tell...

I've got a 2004TL (automatic) on order.
I should be taking delivery of it in about a month, and am expecting to have warped rotors in about another month.
So basically, ask me again in about two months from now if the problem has been fixed.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:57 AM
10th Gear

As difficult as it is for me, I think I'm going to wait 6 months to a year to see how things shake out with this model. I jumped on the 99 with the disk-based Navi as soon as it came out, only to be disappointed when the DVD-based Navi came out a year later. It's sort of like any Microsoft product - I never deploy it in our production environment until they release at least one service pack.
I called Acura public relations the other day and vented my anguish for about 20 minutes. I explained the problem and assured him it was not an isolated case as evidenced by the number of posts on this forum. Of course, he gave me the standard "Acura values all of our customers concerns, and we use this information in the design process of new models, blah blah, blah...". I'm just wondering at what point does Acura consider it to be a "real" problem and take the necessary steps to correct it?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Race Director

As difficult as it is for me, I think I'm going to wait 6 months to a year to see how things shake out with this model. I jumped on the 99 with the disk-based Navi as soon as it came out, only to be disappointed when the DVD-based Navi came out a year later. It's sort of like any Microsoft product - I never deploy it in out production environment until they release at least one service pack.
I called Acura public relations the other day and vented my anguish for about 20 minutes. I explained the problem and assured him it was not an isolated case as evidenced by the number of posts on this forum. Of course, he gave me the standard "Acura values all of our customers concerns, and we use this information in the design process of new models, blah blah, blah...". I'm just wondering at what point does Acura consider it to be a "real" problem and take the necessary steps to correct it?
I know exactly what you mean, I have also decided to wait for the TL, its too early to buy the car, maybe a 2004.5 will have bugs fixed or 2005 will have all new features or accessories..

Maybe MP3 Cd Player, maybe rear sun-shade, stuff like that..

But anyways I am not gonna go crazy on the hype and than end up regretting it..

Be Smart and wait
Old 09-25-2003, 12:15 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Brake problem

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but am I the only one who finds it completely unacceptable that Acura has not addressed the well documented brake rotor problem on the 2nd gen TL's? From everything I've read here, they're using the same brakes on the 04's. Unless I opt for the 6 speed, I have a fairly good chance of repeated trips to the dealer to have the rotors resurfaced, then replaced after they reach the limits. I've gone through this with my 99 TL with 75k miles, and after 5 or 6 repairs since 15k, it's back to the same old shimmy. And I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the cross-drilled rotors fix the problem - at least not over an extended perid of time
The bottom line is, I would buy this car in a heartbeat if I was confident that this problem was corrected. If not, I doubt I'll ever buy a Acura automobile again.
They are different. The new 04 TL has a different air ventilation or passages that will allow the brakes to cool down faster than the previous TL's. The 4-piston brakes are not there to fix the warping, but improve the braking distance of the under average braking of the TL.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

yes, I also hope that the brake problem has been fixed.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
8th Gear

I am with you too. I figure I'll wait until next June or July to get a new TL. That should be after the bugs are worked out and the supply at the dealerships is greater so there will be less incentive to charge a "premium" over MSRP.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL
I know exactly what you mean, I have also decided to wait for the TL, its too early to buy the car, maybe a 2004.5 will have bugs fixed or 2005 will have all new features or accessories..

Maybe MP3 Cd Player, maybe rear sun-shade, stuff like that..

But anyways I am not gonna go crazy on the hype and than end up regretting it..

Be Smart and wait
Come on, level with everyone.... Are you really getting the car? Ever?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Come on, level with everyone.... Are you really getting the car? Ever?
? dude get over it..

Talk to wolfeacura on a-tsx, the guy who went to chicago for the R/D

Me and my dad already have talked to him about buying a TL..

he is my salesmen
Old 09-26-2003, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL
? dude get over it..

Talk to wolfeacura on a-tsx, the guy who went to chicago for the R/D

Me and my dad already have talked to him about buying a TL..

he is my salesmen
It doesn't matter to me if your dad buys it for you or you buy it yourself, I was just hoping you'd level with us.

You have gone from a 2004 TL freak that is getting it the day before it comes out, to a guy that is going to get it, but will probably wait until 2004.5 or 2005. Your passion is gone. I know you just made that awesome quintuple post the other day, but where is the passion?

It is like having a baby.... If you wait until you are ready, you will never do it.

Acura never got the transmission thing right, not even in 2003.

So... I am saying, JUST DO IT!
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
It doesn't matter to me if your dad buys it for you or you buy it yourself, I was just hoping you'd level with us.

You have gone from a 2004 TL freak that is getting it the day before it comes out, to a guy that is going to get it, but will probably wait until 2004.5 or 2005. Your passion is gone. I know you just made that awesome quintuple post the other day, but where is the passion?

It is like having a baby.... If you wait until you are ready, you will never do it.

Acura never got the transmission thing right, not even in 2003.

So... I am saying, JUST DO IT!

Yep, only a fool would buy a 2004.5 TL.
Better to wait for the 2005 model.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you!