Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Overhaul Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Overhaul Questions

Got an 05 TL auto. I'm gonna do a pretty extensive brake overhaul (new rotors, pads, and fluid). While I'm at it, gonna paint the calipers in order to decrease the massive amount of rust. I should note that regarding brakes, I've never done more than a pad change myself. I'm confident on the removal/paint/reassembly process, and I'm pretty sure I can get through the bleeding process. I've looked at several brake threads, and I have the relevant service manual scans.

I do, however, have a few things I'm not sure about. When I remove the calipers, how do I keep all the brake fluid from draining out the lines? Since I'm removing and cleaning out the calipers, is there a more extensive bleeding process (I assume there will be some air in the system once I put it back together)? Should I bleed before or after I disassemble, clean, paint the calipers, and replace the rotors and pads?

Is there something I'm not thinking about? Probably.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
no need to remove the calipers from the car- you can paint in place or when you have them off to replace the rotors- hang them with a ziptie from the suspension and have at it!
foam brush works well- Duplicolor caliper paint kit $10 has everything you need-
buy some extra brushes to do more coats of paint with-- 3 coats is good
Use a round wire wheel on a drill on main caliper body to scuff most of the rust, the spray cleaner in the kit does the rest- then paint

on brake fluid flush-please see other recent threads where I detail safety tips for noobs like place a block of 2x4 wood under the brake pedal to protect master cyl seal from over travel- hurting its oring

buy an impact screwdriver kit- makes life better when removing rotor retaining screws- they are often held tight by corrossion

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 02-22-2010 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Team Owner

you dont disconnect the brake lines unless you are replacing the entire caliper
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 AM
Team Owner

flushing new fluid thru the calipers cleans the system- no need to take everything apart in the caliper itself unless there is a problem
Old 02-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
no need to remove the calipers from the car- you can paint in place or when you have them off to replace the rotors- hang them with a ziptie from the suspension and have at it!
foam brush works well- Duplicolor caliper paint kit $10 has everything you need-
buy some extra brushes to do more coats of paint with-- 3 coats is good
Use a round wire wheel on a drill on main caliper body to scuff most of the rust, the spray cleaner in the kit does the rest- then paint

on brake fluid flush-please see other recent threads where I detail safety tips for noobs like place a block of 2x4 wood under the brake pedal to protect master cyl seal from over travel- hurting its oring

buy an impact screwdriver kit- makes life better when removing rotor retaining screws- they are often held tight by corrossion
Yeah, saw those threads a/b protecting the master cylinder. Thanks for your feedback. Assuming that my heart is set on removing the calipers to paint them...ideas on plugging the brake lines? Or should I just let the fluid drain if I'm gonna flush and refill anyway? Or is that just too much of a pain in the ass?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Use small tapered rubber plugs in the end of the hose. Do not squeeze the hose with vise grips to stop the flow as that will damage the hose wall.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Team Owner

buy the brake line plugs at parts store for a buck each- fits into end of line

the very last thing you want is for all the fluid to drain out by gravity!!!
That will surely fill the abs controller with air and is a pain to get all out

if you insist on removing them, (going to powdercoating or rebuilding inside the caliper is the only valid rason)
Then after install and full bleeding you MUST do 2 ABS active- pulsing the pedal under your foot- stops to full stop and repeat, if pedal was firmer 2nd time there was air in the ABS controller and now its headed for a caliper
rebleed entire system and should be good

MUCH safer to leave them installed
Should replace the crush washers on connection to caliper- 2 per line

bleed order LF = driver front then clockwise around the car- its due to ABS plumbing
LF RF RR LR
Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 AM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
I was told to never ever remove your calipers unless you have too. The air in the system is a bitch to get out. OP, I know your a nob so I am not trying to be mean when I say this but when you asked if you should bleed the system before or after you remove the calipers kind of scares me. The bleeding process is done for two reasons, getting old fluid out and getting air out of the system after someone opens the system. Good luck! The brakes are something you don't want to mess with if you really are unsure of what you are doing.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mmade22
OP, I know your a nob so I am not trying to be mean when I say this but when you asked if you should bleed the system before or after you remove the calipers kind of scares me. The bleeding process is done for two reasons, getting old fluid out and getting air out of the system after someone opens the system. Good luck! The brakes are something you don't want to mess with if you really are unsure of what you are doing.
I know you're not trying to be mean. Glad that folks are concerned about safety. I was asking about bleeding before or after changing the brake pads. My understanding was that when the caliper cylinder is compressed to accommodate new, thicker pads, it will push fluid back into the lines. If I've already bled, then I would assume that this process is pushing gunk back into the lines. I was just trying to be as clear as I can be. I may be somewhat of a noob, but not an idiot. Really just trying to gauge people's reaction to the idea of removing the calipers for ease of paint. General consensus seems to be that it's more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. I just get nervous when broaching the idea of painting something while it's on my car.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
A good way of removing the "old" fluid is to unscrew the bleeder when pushing the piston(s) back into the caliper. This way no old fluid is going back into the line, and no air will enter as fluid will continue to run just from gravity if it isn't closed fast enough. There is no suction to bring air into the caliper which may happen during bleeding by using the pedal.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

or flush the brakes before any pad change - to be totally safe if not experienced
Later there are time saving methods

DO NOT use the spray paint caliper paint!!!- take the concern of overspray out of the picture
spray some paint into a disposable cup and use 1 inch wide foam brushes to apply.
paint dries fast so you need a new foam brush for each coat fo 4 calipers

Duplicolor kit has small can of liquid paint and the spray cleaner etc needed for the job- but only 1 foam brush, buy a pack of them
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

the only way to get air in the caliper during bleeding is if you let the master cyl run dry and uncover the holes for the brake line.

Or not close the bleeder and helper lets pedal back up~ suction rules would apply then
Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

Its not so much that fluid goes up the line-
as dirty fluid gets washed around INSIDE the caliper by pushing the piston in-

there is a delicate oring there and any micro rust particles CAN damage the rubber oring- caliper failure soon after
Old 03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by recoveringphan
I know you're not trying to be mean. Glad that folks are concerned about safety. I was asking about bleeding before or after changing the brake pads. My understanding was that when the caliper cylinder is compressed to accommodate new, thicker pads, it will push fluid back into the lines. If I've already bled, then I would assume that this process is pushing gunk back into the lines. I was just trying to be as clear as I can be. I may be somewhat of a noob, but not an idiot. Really just trying to gauge people's reaction to the idea of removing the calipers for ease of paint. General consensus seems to be that it's more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. I just get nervous when broaching the idea of painting something while it's on my car.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ahh now I understand what you were trying to say in the first post......Sorry.

I also wanted to do what you were going to do but I was told don't do it for the nightmare you will have, trying to get the air out of the lines.

I did a DIY a while back on how I painted the calipers while still on the car. Here it is, if you need it....

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/d-097-diy-painting-factory-brembos-red-white-acura-logo-640092/

Again sorry!