Sponsored by:

Big mistake trading in my Windstar for TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
That would be me.

Since the transmission was replaced pre delivery, the car has been perfect. I have a little over 9k miles on her since 12/5.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLGator

This is about statistics. Granted, statistics in general are a huge, complex pain in the butt, but this is a fairly simple aspect of statistics. It is a concept people of average or greater than average intelligence can grasp. A sample size of one car (also known as n=1) just doesn't cut it when it comes to drawing conclusions. This is known as "jumping to conclusions" or "making blank statements" or "n of 1 nonsense."
I completely agree with you analysis of the issue of the car as far as Acura is concerned. However, let me give you a statement someone gave me about statistics...

'The chance of you being in Vietnam is small, but if you are there it is 100%'.

So, if you are the ONE then you do not care about a statistically meaningful sample.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Formula 350
I completely agree with you analysis of the issue of the car as far as Acura is concerned. However, let me give you a statement someone gave me about statistics...

'The chance of you being in Vietnam is small, but if you are there it is 100%'.

So, if you are the ONE then you do not care about a statistically meaningful sample.
First, you should update your quote to say "Iraq". Vietnam was a long time ago, brother. Being there now means being on a vacation tour enjoying interesting cuisine and gorgeous landscapes.

Second, you do realize that you're supporting, not disagreeing with, my comments, don't you? As is Norse when he says, "Intelligence has nothing to do with a gut reaction, when things are going well we think clearly and find it hard to understand when others don't."

My whole point was that statistics are of no value to the ones for whom the dice have already been rolled. Statistics are predictive. Statistics have nothing to offer once something bad has already happened, like a lemon car or being drafted, or much worse, being one of the brave soldiers actually lost over there.

But statistics are still highly useful to the ones for whom the dice have not yet been rolled. So no matter how much poor Norse screams to the wind or his dealer about his lemon TL, he would still be wrong to tell his friends, "Don't buy a TL, it's a piece of shit." And if he does tell his friends that, his friends would be wise to realize his comments are emotional, not analytical, and that they should go look at quality reports like JD Power and Consumer Reports and a hundred others that all come to the same conclusion, which is:

Statistically, you are more likely to have a satisfying quality experience by buying an Acura TL than most other new cars on the road.

I imagine 39,000+ new Acura TL owners ARE satisfied. Most of them aren't on this forum because more of them:

don't care about internet forums,
have no issues to discuss,
and/or are just having too much fun driving their TLs.

Even when we poll the forum members, and Lord knows we have polled ourselves mercilessly, we find that most of us have, at worst, minor issues we can live with and that wouldn't have caused us not to buy the car.

I am one of the many who has: no rattles, no drooping headliner (though I sort of expect to get that one sooner or later, because it is starting to seem statistically more common), no engine or transmission or stereo or power window or paint or fit/finish issues. At all. And I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to such things. I'm not saying this to gloat, but to point out that if I shouted about it long and hard enough, I might convince a few people the TL is the best car ever made. Which, statistically speaking, is also probably not true.

Good luck to all with your issues. Hopefully you can still enjoy the car!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Instructor

I wonder if the Highly Acclaimed, most awesome Windstar has a forum?

Ah, here it is:
http://www.ford-windstar.17th-generation.com

Note the 17th generation in the URL.
HA.

Ford Motor Company;

You suck ass-sweat.

How about being an inovative leader, like 100 years ago.

Jaguars are notorious for being unreliable--Yah, "Jaguars look good on the side of the road."
So Ford picked them up?

Great idea--for expandeding the FORD Quality.
Is Volkswagen a subsidary of Ford?
FarFromReliabilty.

:::FORD:::
Fix Or Repair Daily
Furcked Over Rebuilt Dodge (the Viper is an exception to Dodge)
Found On the Road Dead
First On RaceDay--to breakdown
Driver Returns On Foot (FORD backwards)

My apologies for mentioning the above 2 automakers...
Old 04-24-2004, 10:43 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Knight
Yes, it started as a thump. Now it almost sounds a little like ABS.
But it's always at the shift point. Yesterday it did it again, just after a 1/2 hour stop.

I'll drive it today and try pressing on the brakes a little as it shifts.
See what happens.
Morning Bill,
Like others have said, I was trying to tell you that I have what I believe is the same noise you do. I myself also think its just the ABS/ . This is the same test that my previous vehicles performed, same noise/feel (not that it really matters, but I was also a mechanic at a very large GM/Nissan dealer for 8 years).

Anyway,
The test I performed and described to you in a previous post was that I drove my car across the parking lot in the manual mode (as you suggested), and like you mentioned, I also did not hear the noise. I then came to a stop at the street, placed the shifter in the drive position, and pulled forward. Just like you mentioned, when it shifted to 2nd (automatically), "my" clunk noise was heard and felt in the gas pedal. Overall, I was verifying then agreeing with you on your "Drive/2nd gear" theory.

Now, due to the fact that it only takes place in Drive and when shifting to second gear concern me, not at all. As mentioned, I fully believe this is a diagnostic/functional system test, that most likely due to software etc is designed to take place when the trans is in the Drive position. I'm not so sure if my TL always exhibits this test when shifting to 2nd. Usually its much sooner in the morning. The fact that it appears to take place around the shift point could only be a coincidence of speed and slow gentle acceleration.

Finally, I think what your experiencing is the same as I and others. I don't think it's anything other than what's designed to take place. Saying that, I would also admit that myself nor anyone else has personal hands on knowledge of your issue/vehicle so by no means am I recommending you take my word 100%. Continue to monitor the "anomaly" :-), and definitely see what the dealer has to say next week.

Best of luck

Smitty
Old 04-24-2004, 11:04 AM

Windstar and TL both designed and built in America. You could throw Ford badges on the TL and Acura badges on the Windstar, since they both are domestics.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:17 AM
On the way!

*gasp*

How could you say that?!?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:27 AM
shopguy

Bill Knight,
I cant stop laughing. You want your Windstar back. Even if the doors were falling off my TL and I had a transmision problem and an engine problem and whatever else we can add. I would most definatelly stick with my TL and not wish for a Windstar on my worst days experience. Especially with 90,000 Plus miles. The trany should be covered under warranty in your new TL. Whatever the case may be im sorry for your problem, but no windstar can compare to the awesome TL
Old 04-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

TL Gator...well said!
KJSmitty...I am starting to believe you. I can feel an ABS sensation as I hold the brake during the shift. It always happens at the 1-2nd shift.
I want to believe this is the problem.

Let me clear up something for people hung up on the Windstar topic.
I had a Tranny nightmare w/ that car. It was free and clear. I dropped 33k and now I think I hava a tranny problem.
My point was I should have stayed where I was and kept that car instead of spending 33K.

I did ask in an earlier post about TL tranny problems...Not one response, so I picked up the pace a little. Now I have some answers.
And I want to thank KJSmitty for helping...He knows his stuff!
Old 04-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Bobz

Originally Posted by Formula 350
Bill,

The problem I have with your comment is that you are stating the car is not as good as your Windstar with less than 1,000 miles. Yes, you have a problem with your tranny. but what if this is your ONLY problem for the first 100,000 miles. Then your Windstar is a piece of crap with one engine and two trannys.

I owned a 1985 Cougar and it was in for warrenty work over 10 times in the first year!! It was always giving me problems the whole time I owned it. It would stall when it would get hot. Finally Ford got sued and had to admit that it was an engineering problem. I will never buy another Ford product as all cars I have owned by Ford have sucked big time.

Take your car in and get it fixed. Let us know what they say the problem is.
I remember the problem with that era of Fords. I had an 84 Ford with same problem. It turned out to be a fuel injection problem which Ford stonewalled for years before the government finally got them. But GM and Chrysler have pulled the same BS and Acura is stonewalling the Bridgestone tire issue.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

Yes, it started as a thump. Now it almost sounds a little like ABS.
But it's always at the shift point. Yesterday it did it again, just after a 1/2 hour stop.

I'll drive it today and try pressing on the brakes a little as it shifts.
See what happens.

You ever mentioned your manual mode (SS mode) won't have this thump (flap) sound... I did try it today. After starting my car the first time on Sat morning, I shift to SS mode and move my car, at the nearby 10 MPH zone, my 04TL gave me the fresh "thump" sound... it's kind of routine every time I first drive my Aucar vehicle...

Since mile 1 I picked up my car, this sound is like the shadow following my car every day and night.

After this thread, I hope you will begin to love your 04TL instead of thinking 04TL is the big mistake...
Old 04-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by brahtw8
That would be me.

Since the transmission was replaced pre delivery, the car has been perfect. I have a little over 9k miles on her since 12/5.

I was thinking you would be the first guy popping out while someone talked he/she again had been involved with tranny problem...

Good to know your tranny as perfect as it should be.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:06 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sorry you traded the windstar..

Tuff luck trading your windstar for an acura TL..I know you must be destroyed and depressed. Maybe you can sell the acura and find another windstar...They are certainly wonderful examples of Ford"s quality. Guess you must have experieced a momentary lapse in judgement. Oh well,live and learn...Detect any sarcasm??
Old 04-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rets
I was thinking you would be the first guy popping out while someone talked he/she again had been involved with tranny problem...

Good to know your tranny as perfect as it should be.
If it was an issue with the 6MT, yes. I don't have much unique to add to the discussion of problems with the 5AT.

I don't know if the tranny is perfect, but so far so good.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:25 AM
Racer

So Bill, you come on and bash everyone with your ‘diaper’ comment and bitch about your tranny problem for days with no mention of what everyone has been advising you to do (see your dealer). I’d say you’re a little quick on the trigger. Oh, the windstar comparison is a classic – 1 engine + 2 transmissions at less than 100K? You think the engine and tranny on your windstar are okay now? Good one.

Let’s get back to your topic. I’ve had my TL for over 6K now and have also noticed the grind when I pull out of my drive way. Instead of bitching about the problem for days on this forum, I actually called and visited my dealer where they informed me that it was just the ABS thing. Yeah, it’s a little annoying, but not a problem since the rest of the drive is smooth and so far very enjoyable. You see my point here? I didn’t spend days on this forum bitching about my tranny without any solution and bashing everyone for their pride in ownership. That’s called restraint – try it sometime.

Why do I come off sounding so negative? Because, people bitch about every little thing on this forum and expect sympathy – the classic “What about ME syndrome”. Or, maybe it’s the squeaky wheel? I just don’t think that a small percentage of people having problems (real or conceived) should be representing the rest of TL community (check the Consumer Reports). I understand that this is a good site to vent, but at least do some home work and, if needed, check your resources (a.k.a. Acura dealership) before telling everyone that the sky is falling.

Now, go and enjoy your TL and rely on your warranty should the problem worsen. Also, please visit the dealership and report back your finding so that everyone on the forum can stop worrying about BILL.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash501
question...

Who buys an automatic car anyways?? i mean, do you not know how to use a clutch, or do you live in the city where you are to lazy to use a clutch. if you are buying a car, then why dont you want to get everything out of that car as possible!!

just a question...
I live in a city and I and my wife are too lazy to use a clutch. For the average driver an automatic transmission is safer than a manual. In heavy traffic you cannot left foot brake with a manual. If you get bent out of shape the average driver doesn't need to worry about shifting gears as they try to regain control of their car. Manuals are fine for those who want them but they are simply impractical for the average driver in urban traffic.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Advanced

From what I have read it seems that the clunk in the tranny is a system check of some sort,I have not heard any noise in my car..yet.I had some big time problems with chevy a few years back(I will NEVER buy another chevy again for the rest of my life.. :rocketwho )I allmost fell out of my chair reading that anyone would want a windstar,let alone want it over a TL..That was/is some funny azz stuff.But if thats the way you feel,Sell the TL and buy your self 3 or 4 of them Windstars,I'm sure this will be you right after you do it..
Old 04-25-2004, 09:34 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Christ,,,,

Drop the " Windstar" comparison retoric... You guys have ran up 4 pages with 80% of the threads having 0 merit or benefit to anyone. Who cares if this gentleman drove a Windstar or compared his "Ford" experience to the TL... It was pretty obvious from the start that he had previous tranny issues thus was critical of what he started experiencing with his new $33K purchase. I could compare the TL to numerous vehicles I've owned and could easily say the TL is a minor disappointed, considering it has many small issues while my other cars had none. People will make many statements on a forum. If you want a forum to be informative and beneficial, do you think nitpicking someones previous choice of transportation and or method of getting his point across, (FOR 4 PAGES NO LESS) is going to make it happen? Then again, does anyone care...
A little "flaming" can be appropriate and in good taste, but in this case try to refrain from touching your keyboard and continuing this "I can't believe you had a Windstar" crap.

As for me, I had to have my wife drag me away from the computer after reading what I would call: this months most ignorant comment, ie "Who buys an automatic car anyways?? ....... Some flaming was definitely "appropriate" in that instance - glad you guys took care of it.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLGator
First, you should update your quote to say "Iraq". Vietnam was a long time ago, brother. Being there now means being on a vacation tour enjoying interesting cuisine and gorgeous landscapes.

Second, you do realize that you're supporting, not disagreeing with, my comments, don't you? As is Norse when he says, "Intelligence has nothing to do with a gut reaction, when things are going well we think clearly and find it hard to understand when others don't."

Good luck to all with your issues. Hopefully you can still enjoy the car!

First, it was a quote so I did not change it... The guy was in Vietname.. everybody else can think Iraq and you get the meaning

And yes, I am supporting you. But that ONE does not care about statistics. He is in Iraq, or has the lemon or all the other problems. But, I believe that next year when we do get statistics that this will be another great car from Acura / Honda.

I am like you, almost no problems and loving the car (I had a cracked windshiled, but it might have been a rock.. who knows). I look forward to another 10 or so years of great driving.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Pro

My Windstar went 90k before transmission problems....This TL has 1000 miles and already transmission problems..
I wish I never bought this $#@# box.
Just for fun I went back to the first post.... This is why we are flaming him. We now know that he had was on his third transmission and second engine at 90,000 miles, not that it was STARTING to have problems at 90.

I think he has converted over time, but his first statement is not valid.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Racer

They'll fix it

Bill,

All in all, Acura's been quite good with early problems on the TL at least for me. I had my OEM Bridgestones replaced with the newly desingned ones, no problem. Outside of the hassle factor, I'm sure they will deal with it. By chance, do you use your hand brake when you park?

I have the 5AT and do not have any of the symptoms you describe. When its really cold the first few shifts may not be as smooth as others, but that's the nature of the drive in Toronto. The fact that it does it in Auto mode and not in SS mode may mean it keys on a certain shift point. Have you ever accelerated briskly on the first go - does it do the same thing? Have you checked the trans fluid?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Advanced

As far as the price vrs. quailty I still think the TL is a GREAT deal.The Acura does not cost that much money,My 03 Dodge truck cost more than our Acura TL did.I think some people are just a little to pickey.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Racer

Okay. I too have noticed this problem ever since I've had the car. I don't think it's a problem at all. It's not the Abs or a self diagnostic check. I think it's the door locks. I bet all of you that are having this problem have the doors lock when the car goes over 10mph. I have not fully tested this as I don't normally use the SS from start nor have I changed the settings on when my doors lock but it has been very consistant every time when my doors lock. I also thought it was a problem at first but I just paid more attention and concluded that it's the locks because the noise happens when the doors lock. So I don't think there is a problem with your tranny at all but I could be wrong.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I think it's the door locks. I bet all of you that are having this problem have the doors lock when the car goes over 10mph.
I wish, that's yet another feature currently not working in my car...
Old 04-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Windstar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Muhuhahahahhahaha!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Advanced

.....my windstar typed that message....
Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
That would be too funny!

Originally Posted by Norse396
I wish, that's yet another feature currently not working in my car...
Norse,

Have you set your door locks to your preference on the MID? Default is OFF. You have to set it if you want them to lock and at what speed. Same for auto unlocking. I just did mine tonight.

I would be ROTFLMAO if it turns out that Bill Knight has been hearing his doors lock at 10MPH and thinking it was a bad tranny. But, with his history, it's understandable. Once bitten, twice shy.

And all this hostile consternation and vitriolic vituperations resulted from door locks doing what they were supposed to? Tell me it's not true!

XP
Old 04-27-2004, 10:40 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Norse,

Have you set your door locks to your preference on the MID? Default is OFF. You have to set it if you want them to lock and at what speed. Same for auto unlocking. I just did mine tonight.

I would be ROTFLMAO if it turns out that Bill Knight has been hearing his doors lock at 10MPH and thinking it was a bad tranny. But, with his history, it's understandable. Once bitten, twice shy.

And all this hostile consternation and vitriolic vituperations resulted from door locks doing what they were supposed to? Tell me it's not true!

XP
True, the auto lock function takes place at ~ 10-15mph, and mine works fine. But unless their is one massive solenoid activating the door locks from under the hood - where the clunk transpires, I highly doubt one could mistake the two. The two together might be making the clunk more pronounced though..... Its the ABS/VSA

Oops, forgot.... Just my opinion guys.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Norse,
I did mine the first night I had it, it has since stopped working and the dealer "forgot" to find out why the last time it was in.

I hear my anti-locks being checked, I had originally thought he was hearing the same thing.

I've heard of stranger things!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

I am going with KJSmitty questimation on ABS.
The dealer never heard of these things we talk about here. ABS checks, etc.
I do feel it through the brake pedal and it feels alot like ABS.
I cancelled my service appointment because of lack of confidence. I don't trust them!
They should know of this type of problem or at least heard of it.
It makes the noise at the 1st - 2nd shift and I''ll sit back and let my warranty handle it, if it gets to be a problem.
I was concerned when it changed form a thump to a ABS grind around 1K miles.
I was also gun-shy after spending thousands on my last transmission problem.
Not more tranny problems...But now I don't think this is the case.
This forum is very lucky to have members like KJSmitty to get right to the heart of the matter and actually help.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=Bill Knight]The dealer never heard of these things we talk about here. ABS checks, etc.QUOTE]

Who's the dealer?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Bill Knight,

Just curious. Your last post - was it supposed to be some sort of sonnet? Or perhaps an extended haiku? As I said, just curious.