Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big mistake trading in my Windstar for TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big mistake trading in my Windstar for TL

My Windstar went 90k before transmission problems....This TL has 1000 miles and already transmission problems..
I wish I never bought this $#@# box.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:37 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Yeah the TL blows.

Not.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill Knight
The overall response to the TL from members here has been quite positive. Certainly, there can be individual problems. If you care to share details, others may have help for you. Certainly you should share how you are being treated, as any car can have a problem but the true sign of a quality car company is how their problem is resolved for you. My .02
Old 04-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a joke, right? A Windstar over a TL? Even my worms could not top this priceless stuff.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Knight
My Windstar went 90k before transmission problems....This TL has 1000 miles and already transmission problems..

6 Speed 1st / 2nd gear issues or AT shifting into gear delay..... Thats all thats ever mentioned??

More please or be disregarded...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

Ok, so we're judging an entire line of cars by your ONE bad experience? Riiight. So instead of you being just ONE unlucky person, everyone else is just extremely lucky to have a car that meets their expectations. After all, it's against the odds.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

I did do a post earlier asking if anyone else experienced similar problems on a AT 1st to 2nd shift. Everyone here just wants to talk about colors and wiping their car off with diapers.
We'll I sold my Windstar because of AT nightmares. Only to get a Honda with Transmission problems.
Unlikely, but true.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

what happen to the tranny? you are the first person to mention that there is actually a problem. others have gotten worried after somethng mysterious happened but nothing came about it because it was either normal or never happened again. it's ok for you not to like the TL because you have a problem with it but don't claim that all TL's are shit. i've rented a windstar before and i can say that its not an enjoyable car to drive. good luck with your TL and i hope that you get it fixed and change your outlook on it.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Cruisin'

I'm mad, because thats all I ever heard, is how great these cars are. 1K later and Transmission problems. I wish I never bought it! My .02
Old 04-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Banned

I'm mad, because thats all I ever heard, is how great these cars are. 1K later and Transmission problems. I wish I never bought it! My .02
Again, can you please specify the problems you are having with your tranny?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Cruisin'

Okay...here is the problem.
On a cold start or as far as I can tell,or if the car is sitting for about 3 hours.
When I take off, the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. I hear a grind.
It only does it once and then it's okay. It won't do it in manual mode.
It started as a clunk around 600 miles. Now it's a grind. I know this is not a normal transmission shift. It seems to be getting more of a problem.
I just don't believe that this is an easy fix by the way it sounds.
AT transmissions are very complex.
I was posting here, looking for a similar problem that someone else had.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

are you sure it's not the ABS?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Bill, man sorry to hear about your problem. That doesn't sound good at all. Since you seem to be talking about an automatic tranny, it should never make any grinding sounds (unless you do something crazy like try to shift into reverse while moving forward).

You have every right to be pissed off. Guys, let the guy vent a bit. Hang in there, Bill. Hopefully Acura will step up and treat you right. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

Has anyone experienced AT shifting problems?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

On a cold start or as far as I can tell,or if the car is sitting for about 3 hours.
It started as a clunk around 600 miles. Now it's a grind. I know this is not a normal transmission shift. It seems to be getting more of a problem.
Since Oct., I guess you're the third one talking about serious tranny issues, but your problems seem very different. The first one I know was having his tranny replaced in about 1k or less than 2k. The second one had the tranny fixed without being replaced.

What does your dealer say to you?...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Ooook, then. I'll give you 15k for it in cash. You could buy a nice Windstar and have lots 'o bux left over! Deal?

Don't like that deal? All righty, my wife will trade her 2000 Accord EX, even up! And she'll guantee the transmission for 30k miles.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caball88
what happen to the tranny? you are the first person to mention that there is actually a problem. others have gotten worried after somethng mysterious happened but nothing came about it because it was either normal or never happened again. it's ok for you not to like the TL because you have a problem with it but don't claim that all TL's are shit. i've rented a windstar before and i can say that its not an enjoyable car to drive. good luck with your TL and i hope that you get it fixed and change your outlook on it.
Ummm he isn't the first person. There are many mentions on it, as well as dealers noticing it now as well.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Windstar?
They still make those pieces of crap?

Although it could possibly be the pioneer of Mini-Vans,
it sure is a pathetic example, and a typical example for the Ford Motor Co,
of modernizing their vehicles to what the public of that decade wants in a vehicle.

The German and Japanes Auto-Makers develope new ideas, and 2-3 years later...
high-end American cars are getting on board with standard equipment of said foreign automakers.

I looked at the 2004 Mustang Cobra (390HP), and the Mustang STILL has the piece of shiit window switches that my 1988 5.0LX Convertible had.

Get smart Ford.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Team Antracite Member

Bill if you're making your buying decision from this forum alone and our super bias TL Lovers than you need to do your homework.

Honestly your situation really sucks, but hey, better you than me. My TL is 100% perfect, No rattles, glitches or anything. Over 2k of hard driving and I'm going to keep beating on this fine machine.

Hey but if you think it's that bad you can certainly swap for a Ford Focus and not lose a penny in the process.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:26 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Wink

On the other hand, my friend's Windstar has spent more than 60% of it's like in the mechanic, recalls, electrical problems, engine problems, etc.

everybody has different luck, but the Acura is famous for it's reliability, check Consumer Report. you may have an exception vehicle... use the warranty pls.

I drove my last TL for 120,500 miles, not a glitch. My friend has an accord with 297,000 miles! still on the same engine and tranny.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs down Sorry about your problems.

Bill,

You are understandably upset. I would be postal! Take consolation in the knowledge that yours seems to be a very isolated problem and one that is fully guarantied. I am sure Acura will make it right for you and provide a car if they need to keep yours in the shop for a while.

In my test drive of the 6MT, I could not shift into 2nd without a grinding noise. It wasn't operator error as my current car is a manual 5 speed. They pulled the car off the road immediately and fixed it.

So, in the big picture, they have made over 42,300 2004 TLs so far this year. If only 1/10 of 1% have a tranny problem, that's still 42 TLs and you might be one of the few that got past quality control.

The important thing is that, until any car maker can get 100% perfection in a mass produced car, they do the right thing and fix it ASAP. I think they will.

If not, come back here and bitch! You will find lots of support (as long as you don't bash our favorite car too bad).

XP
Old 04-22-2004, 11:10 PM
Advanced

wtf are some of you guys talking about! Dont hate on the windstar just because its fat, ugly, heavy, and underpowered, cheap, and a FORD... Ours has 220k and is still running strong...
Old 04-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Chandler Bing

Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Chandler Bing

question...

Who buys an automatic car anyways?? i mean, do you not know how to use a clutch, or do you live in the city where you are to lazy to use a clutch. if you are buying a car, then why dont you want to get everything out of that car as possible!!

just a question...
Old 04-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flash501
question...

Who buys an automatic car anyways?? i mean, do you not know how to use a clutch, or do you live in the city where you are to lazy to use a clutch. if you are buying a car, then why dont you want to get everything out of that car as possible!!

just a question...
Spend a few weeks commuting in Southern California.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:22 AM
Instructor

My friend's 2002 TL Type S had TWO transmissions by 30k.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I guess Berkshire Mountain is too good for driving spirit. I don't see the needs of using 5AT out there, either.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation First guy to have new replaced tranny of 04TL...??

Check out his story here...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...154#post616154

:o
Old 04-23-2004, 03:21 AM
Harvest day sucks....

Old 04-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

2000km's.. no problems.... (knock on wood) :toothless
Old 04-23-2004, 05:32 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
32 miles so far and no tranny problems
Seriously, based on past experience with Hondas (I've had five, this is my first Acura but I know lots of people who have/had them) I would be shocked if I had a single problem. My last two Hondas each went well over 120k without ever having a major problem. Unless a rattle from the package shelf is considered a major problem.

Sorry to hear of your tranny problems. Hopefully it can be resolved easily. Good luck
Old 04-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Zaino under fingernails

Exclamation Me too

Bill,

I notice the same thing, when I leave the house first thing in the morning. It happens as I pull away from the house, and then never again. I'm not convinced that it's a tranmission problem. My first guess was that it was an air conditioning compressor kicking on for the first time, but that turned out not to be true. Someone above mentioned ABS, and I'm not sure about that either - I'd be surprised.

With a 50k warranty, I haven't been too worried about it so far.

What is your VIN #? Mine is 315XX.

I'll start paying more attention to it and report back.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a '02 TL-S that was on Tranny #4 when I turned it in and I still loved the car. So far no tranny issues from my '04.

Is the dealer not repairing this problem for you ?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
On the other hand, my friend's Windstar has spent more than 60% of it's like in the mechanic, recalls, electrical problems, engine problems, etc.

everybody has different luck, but the Acura is famous for it's reliability, check Consumer Report. you may have an exception vehicle... use the warranty pls.

I drove my last TL for 120,500 miles, not a glitch. My friend has an accord with 297,000 miles! still on the same engine and tranny.
Your last TL had the 4 speed Auto. This only affects the 5spd versions.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Bill, how many miles did your TL have when you purchased it? hmmm, sounds fishy. Perhaps someone drove it pissed off and ground some gears in the process during a solor test drive.

I'm sure the dealer can resolve this. Could be a module problem, The dealer could check with a DRB and verify codes present. I no codes, I suspect improper driving by someone other than yourself.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Instructor

question...

just a question...
Oh, to be young and foolish again.....lol
Old 04-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Drifting

I did do a post earlier asking if anyone else experienced similar problems on a AT 1st to 2nd shift. Everyone here just wants to talk about colors and wiping their car off with diapers.
We'll I sold my Windstar because of AT nightmares. Only to get a Honda with Transmission problems.
Unlikely, but true.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, he said colors and wiping with diapers. HAHA, that was a good one. Sorry, that just made me laugh first thing this morning, thanks!
Old 04-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool "Head 'em up; head 'em out!"

question...

just a question...
...Or South Florida during snowbird season.

There's a reason they invented automatic transmissions. There's a reason that 90% of the cars sold in this country have them.

My other car (Jeep Wrangler) has 5 MT so I get enough shifting exercise with that. The TL is a luxury car, not a Jeep, not a truck, not a Viper. I made a choice to enjoy all of the luxury it offered although it was a close decision.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Pro

Replacing the tranny on a Ford Windstar - $4,000

MSRP on an Acura TL - $33,000

Comparing the Acura TL with and old Ford Windstar - PRICELESS!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Racer

Have you taken it to the dealer?
Which one?
And what do they say about it?

Quick Reply: Big mistake trading in my Windstar for TL