Beware..."Rash of wheel thefts on LI, NY"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 08:46 AM
Safety Car

yea well wheels locks are shit .... they come off faster than the lugnut
Old 01-13-2009 | 08:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
oh yea, and aside for all the wheel locks and alarms i have.... GOOD LUCK getting a jack under my car lol
Amen to that, brother!!!!
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
after that, i slept in my car for 4 days straight with that camera, and that juicy 2x4... just waiting..... watching
Now that's funny, simply because I could see myself doing that!

Originally Posted by stillhere153
fyi allon... you can jack the car on the rear tow hook and it will raise the rear up then put a jack on the side, and raise half the car up, that aint gonna cut it
Al, let's not give these fuggers any ideas, eh! Although any thief with half a brain could probably figure this one out...
Old 01-13-2009 | 08:58 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

WOW.. my friend has the exact same car.. 08 TL-S WDP. Got all 4 her wheels and the thieves left cinder blocks found in her back yard.. This all happened the night of new years eve :/. Shes dealing with her insurance at the moment, because they are saying its aftermarket rims and not oem..
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:15 AM
Race Director

You can't prevent this with just wheel locks.

I see many cars now having this boot installed:

When my 2G was taken a part, the only thing they couldn't take off were the wheels, I had five different secret keys on them. I've seen drilling marks, but they gave up.
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:29 AM
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black_dc2
Say what you will bout wheel locks. But good luck jacking my wheels quickly.

Five different locks, including a super rare set of piaa locks.
DANG!!! that's great!!!
what says that these guys that are jacking tires won't be coming along queens and the other boroughs I might do this too!!
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:18 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

If you saw the tool that takes these locks out that Tire Barn and Discount Tire have and how easy it is to remove those things....you would not feel so secure. Most wheel locks are national brands anyway...and only have a limited amt of patterns to begin with. Wheel locks are nothing but a deterrent....just like an alarm system is.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:19 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Damn I've been pondering this entire thing...

There's nothing you can do

That trimax thing, rofl, not only is it $400 per wheel, but all you need is a little acid in the keyhole and open she goes (just like any keyhole)

Damn for real guys, I can't think of anything but having a vegetarian dog on a leash with a craving for nutts rofl
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow! 5k for rims! (from the article). I wonder where they are selling them, I'd sell mine for 5k.....
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Wish they would take my wheels. I can use the 5k to buy some RJ rims and pocket the rest.....
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:32 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Damn I've been pondering this entire thing...

There's nothing you can do

That trimax thing, rofl, not only is it $400 per wheel, but all you need is a little acid in the keyhole and open she goes (just like any keyhole
Hmmmmm, spoken like a pro... I'm sending cops your way
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:03 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

lol... Great thread...

I'm glad I'm going Air... let's see if they can fit a jack/hand/finger under my car...
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:27 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Wish they would take my wheels. I can use the 5k to buy some RJ rims and pocket the rest.....
Minus the normal 500 dollar deductible your probably looking at most 1k worth of insurance money. Insurance companies are just as big penny pinchers as the dealer is...

Although 5k seems nice, the likelihood of you getting them would be impossible, even with aftermarket wheels. The insurance company will tell you that by putting on the wheels you gave them a reason to take the wheels, so they'll give you even less cash!!!
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:52 PM
King of NYC

The Acura locks only come in 6-8 possible patterns. If someone has a master lock set from the dealer they can take off any wheel from any Acura. Hammering on a socket doesn't always work but they can always drill it off. Remember all this is highly unlikely because drilling/hammering creates a lot of noise and takes more time, that's the last thing thieves want to do. They have to do it on all 4 wheels.

How about 4-5 different locks on each wheel? lol. 2 Acura, another a different type of McGuard with splines and maybe one of those Gorilla locks. $150 investment. I doubt they would bother with your wheels! Only problem would be to keep track of all those locks! These are all deterrents designed to make them go to the next car. But they can take your wheels if they want them bad enough and if they are well planned/skilled no matter what you do. I can't imagine what wheel is so valuble/rare that they would go to such lengths unless it was 24k gold or somethin.

Oh yeah a tilt sensor would work too Al!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 01-13-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2009 | 03:17 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by msala524
Minus the normal 500 dollar deductible your probably looking at most 1k worth of insurance money. Insurance companies are just as big penny pinchers as the dealer is...

Although 5k seems nice, the likelihood of you getting them would be impossible, even with aftermarket wheels. The insurance company will tell you that by putting on the wheels you gave them a reason to take the wheels, so they'll give you even less cash!!!
Meh....not so. I have had a truck stolen and state farm literally paid me for everything on there I could provide a receipt or proof that it was on there...ie recent pictures, ect. And I got what I actually paid for the stuff. For example...it was an 89 Chevy S-10 and I had IROC wheels on it from an 87 IROC I bought brand new off the lot, so I had the list price on the window sticker for it....and Blaupunkt stereo, subs, amps, ect ect....they paid back receipt prices for everything on top of the value of the vehicle....as the items were not that old.
Old 01-13-2009 | 03:28 PM
2008 tl-s sleeping in

Originally Posted by hongda
with unemployment on the rise, people are starting to become self-employed.
lmao!!
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:28 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by TeknoKing

When my 2G was taken a part, the only thing they couldn't take off were the wheels, I had five different secret keys on them. I've seen drilling marks, but they gave up.
Dude....thats the parking authority! Havent you seen car wars on Sat/CATV?
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

i went to mavis today to get a quote for tires if i were to buy the ron jon wheels and the guy went to go show me the eagle F1's tha he just put on a ar to see if i like it... and as we were walking back in the office part of mavis on the wall was about 20-24 diffent sockets and i asked what they were and each one was a different color and he said that this is the different wheel lock sockets
Old 01-13-2009 | 07:16 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

I've gotten McGaurd wheels locks off w/o a key. But, what about my Rays lock? Do you think thats harder?
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:05 PM
07 TL-S

wow.. so are TL-S wheels popular for thieves? i dont normally sleep well anyway as i constantly look outside; i have a clear shot to pop someone from my bedroom window :o

but please take my scuffed wheels so i can collect $ and get some HREs
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:45 PM
hates the winter

This is nothing new, dunno why they decided to post this today. I have the shitty OEM locks, but I'm going to get a motion sensor for my alarm.

I work in construction overnights so my car is always with me. Don't really have to worry about it much. Winter time when I don't work as much is when I have to watch.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:00 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by avs007
Maybe we can use some loctite. The kind that requires the use of power-tools to bust em' loose... Then keep a battery powered impact wrench in the trunk if you ever need to remove the lugs... Maybe that will help?
How do you think they are getting them off in many cases? By hand? Most of the time they have automated wrenches just like you mention. Battery impacts. They dont make boatloads of noise and can remove lugs on 4 rims in about 1 minute max. I know because I use one to change out to race rims at the races on weekends. They are wonderful tools to have! But can work agaisnt you the same way.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:03 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by TeknoKing

Oddly enough it just hit me tonite when I was watching TV. Reposessors, stealing for a living was the show. These things would make it damn near impossible for them to tow the car wouldnt it? Ah...I guess not...they would just pull it out and turn it around and hook it from that side wouldnt they?
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:04 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

what a thread.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:54 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I have a clifford alarm and tilt sensor jaz...but I know they are still gonign to take my wheels if they want and not a dam thing I can do about it! LoL What's funny is that my car alarm went off last night out of the blue, and I ran upstairs to see what was up, but nothing, so I dont know if they tried and were surprised by the alarm or what. Can't see how they were surprised because they would've had to miss the bright ass flashing blue LED! My sister said she heard a car door slam real loud which another member posted on here as well.

However I have RJ wheels so not sure what to make of the situation. Wonder if they will strike back if it in fact it was these a-holes.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Oddly enough it just hit me tonite when I was watching TV. Reposessors, stealing for a living was the show. These things would make it damn near impossible for them to tow the car wouldnt it? Ah...I guess not...they would just pull it out and turn it around and hook it from that side wouldnt they?
real life repo is no like Operation Repo on TruTV. My friend does it, he doesnt care, he drags cars out with flat tires and says it happen during the towing. And the owner of the vehicle that got repo'd is responsible for all damages done to vehicle during repossession, unless the repossessors get into an accident.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:31 PM
08 TL-S NBP

you'll be safe here in MIA!

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
I have a clifford alarm and tilt sensor jaz...but I know they are still gonign to take my wheels if they want and not a dam thing I can do about it! LoL What's funny is that my car alarm went off last night out of the blue, and I ran upstairs to see what was up, but nothing, so I dont know if they tried and were surprised by the alarm or what. Can't see how they were surprised because they would've had to miss the bright ass flashing blue LED! My sister said she heard a car door slam real loud which another member posted on here as well.

However I have RJ wheels so not sure what to make of the situation. Wonder if they will strike back if it in fact it was these a-holes.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:32 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Originally Posted by greco9885
real life repo is no like Operation Repo on TruTV. My friend does it, he doesnt care, he drags cars out with flat tires and says it happen during the towing. And the owner of the vehicle that got repo'd is responsible for all damages done to vehicle during repossession, unless the repossessors get into an accident.
That chick is madd ugly on there..I have a buddy that does it also. He says he has been held at gunpoint a few times. Very dangerous. If you guys are that worried just take your wheels off every night and sleep with them.
Old 01-14-2009 | 12:30 AM
Racer

[QUOTE=Trew;10386248]I don't get why this news is so sensational...
QUOTE]

Well, they're up to 111 cars and counting. That's 444 wheels stolen in a short period of time from a relatively small area. If I were in that part of LI I would be concerned. Especially since they are targeting cars similar to ours.
Old 01-14-2009 | 01:16 AM
Drifting

HOLY SHIT I just shit bricks. I thought I heard a torque gun. So I get up, grab a bat and go running outside....Not 1 person in sight. I check all of my lug nuts, and they were tight.

Thank god.

Turned out to be someone upstairs using an electric toothbrush LOLLL
Old 01-14-2009 | 09:47 AM
Safety Car

rocky...i believe acura has 15 patterns i saw the techs kit once..... they get the keys and the 19mm socket and extension in the wheel lock removal kit..... either way i have a kit that will take any lock and lug off the car in secs.... im sure thats what these guys are using.