3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A better car horn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
I got my horn replaced because it was damaged in an accident i was in. The new horn sounds more high pitch compared to my old one. I liked my old one better but i have gotten used to this one now lol not sure if the horns from 04-06 / 07-08 are different. They might have replace mine with the new model
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^your avy seems to indicate that after the wreck, everything got high pitched.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:10 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino81
yea, but the other kits arent the same as this one..trust me ...this is about as close as you can get to a nathan, or a leslie, without actually having a nathan or leslie. Hell, even truckstops sell airhorns...usually cheepos though.

All airhorns use a 12v compressor....IIRC autozone has a setup that doesnt even require a tank, pressure switch, etc...But that stuff is necessary once you get to the bigger setups.
but still quite a bit cheaper though (and as far as the compressor and such, the quality of that is totally independent of the horn though), with the biggest thing for your setup being the price of the horn itself

and electric over pneumatic/air

Originally Posted by Twisdit
I got my horn replaced because it was damaged in an accident i was in. The new horn sounds more high pitch compared to my old one. I liked my old one better but i have gotten used to this one now lol not sure if the horns from 04-06 / 07-08 are different. They might have replace mine with the new model
did they put on two high pitched ones, instead of one low, and one high?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my Horn(04 TL). Ive had 11 cars this one by far the best horn. It sorta sounds like a boat!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't think the horn on the TL is too bad. It's not the apologetic meep-meep! horn that most smaller imports have. Tone is more authoritative than my Maxima, but do think the TL could use another 2-3dB of oomf.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Chessie724
I don't think the horn on the TL is too bad. It's not the apologetic meep-meep! horn that most smaller imports have. Tone is more authoritative than my Maxima, but do think the TL could use another 2-3dB of oomf.
Yes, I just want a little lower and louder. A nice drop in replacement would do. Doesnt quite have to be a train horn
Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I love Lamp...

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually had the same dilemma. I was looking into replacing my TL horn with something beefier because I noticed it was pretty pathetic when I finally had to use it. I got to thinking about how Hondas have two horns, a low tone and a high tone to create a more dynamic noise. I noticed my TL did not have a multinote tone and asked the tech to take a look at it when I had it in for service. Turns out the low tone horn was completely dead and the high tone was not even functioning properly. Long story short, with both horns working properly, it is one of the most robust horns of any cars that I have owned...including a cadillac STS. Might want to look into it before replacing with the Hella. Also, the Hella sounds like a supercharged moped horn

As for the train horn, those things are hilarious for about a week. My buddy and I installed them in his GMC diesel and they were great but one minor problem...GM's beep the horn when you lock the vehicle via the keyfob...thus waking the dead every time you hit the lock button twice.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bmccord
I actually had the same dilemma. I was looking into replacing my TL horn with something beefier because I noticed it was pretty pathetic when I finally had to use it. I got to thinking about how Hondas have two horns, a low tone and a high tone to create a more dynamic noise. I noticed my TL did not have a multinote tone and asked the tech to take a look at it when I had it in for service. Turns out the low tone horn was completely dead and the high tone was not even functioning properly. Long story short, with both horns working properly, it is one of the most robust horns of any cars that I have owned...including a cadillac STS. Might want to look into it before replacing with the Hella. Also, the Hella sounds like a supercharged moped horn

As for the train horn, those things are hilarious for about a week. My buddy and I installed them in his GMC diesel and they were great but one minor problem...GM's beep the horn when you lock the vehicle via the keyfob...thus waking the dead every time you hit the lock button twice.
you know they say to keep the stock horn intact, and putting the air horn on a separate switch, for when you do need the authority, you still have it, but for every day driving, you still have the stock one
Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
^your avy seems to indicate that after the wreck, everything got high pitched.
good thing its not my real car lol

Originally Posted by friesm2000
but still quite a bit cheaper though (and as far as the compressor and such, the quality of that is totally independent of the horn though), with the biggest thing for your setup being the price of the horn itself

and electric over pneumatic/air

did they put on two high pitched ones, instead of one low, and one high?
I have no clue honestly. I was just told it was damaged and it will get replaced. Didn't know there was a low and high tone?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
a while ago I found some pretty good sounding train horns that were compressorless and ran on 12v power! They sounded pretty mean to and were around 7 inches long and 3-4 inches wide for the whole package. If I find that site I'll post it here.

I was contemplating putting in on my cars since some people in FL really need to wake up at the wheel. Only caution is the chance of causing a heart attack for some older folks
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM
B A N N E D

good thing its not my real car lol

I have no clue honestly. I was just told it was damaged and it will get replaced. Didn't know there was a low and high tone?
no worries, just mentioned that there are normally two different tones on there

fyi, some cars (I've seen up to at least 2000 or so, have not really looked that hard on newer cars, so they may still be), even completely stock are adjustable for the tone, by a small little screw, which you can screw in and out to vary the pre-load on the diagram, which vary the pitch of the horn itself

Originally Posted by csmeance
a while ago I found some pretty good sounding train horns that were compressorless and ran on 12v power! They sounded pretty mean to and were around 7 inches long and 3-4 inches wide for the whole package. If I find that site I'll post it here.

I was contemplating putting in on my cars since some people in FL really need to wake up at the wheel. Only caution is the chance of causing a heart attack for some older folks
just means fewer people on the road for you
Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stepien20
people still use horns?
Was wondering the same. Only time I use my horn is for the "goodbye bump" when I'm leaving somewhere or to warn somebody. From what I've found online, most people hit / lay on their horn due to someone pissing them off. In that irrational moment, do drivers really believe the meer sound of a horn will instantly make the other driver feel conflicted about their actions? IMO the guys in the video driving around hunking at random people is the epitome of these horns main purpose in life: scare the heck out of people for a cheap laugh. On the car forum I used to belong to, guys were picking these kits up left and right for cheap because 9/10, the guy who had them before just got bored / tired of them. After the novelty of it wears off, you're gonna wish you spent your money on something more worthwhile. In terms of functionality, the factory horn does it's intended job quite well. If someone equates more horn with more respect, then I doubt this is the only aspect of their lives where a lack of respect is an issue.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts

there are 2 horns, 1 for low tone and 1 for high tone. you cannot have 2 high tones because it wouldnt bolt on to the low tone position. well technically its possible but they would have to install it like upside down or something. if you really had 2 high tones it would sound very squeaky and it would be VERY apparent.

when i was replacing the horn on my 06 accord, i noticed that the v6 and i4 models had different part numbers for the horns, and the 06-07 and 03-05 also had diff part #. i would assume the tl is the same, you may have gotten the wrong one.

also, keep in mind that for an item like horns, it may sound different at times depending on weather temperature, surroundings(small garage vs big open lot), and also usage, a new horn may sound diff than an older one even if its the same one.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by ciscopath
Was wondering the same. Only time I use my horn is for the "goodbye bump" when I'm leaving somewhere or to warn somebody. From what I've found online, most people hit / lay on their horn due to someone pissing them off. In that irrational moment, do drivers really believe the meer sound of a horn will instantly make the other driver feel conflicted about their actions? IMO the guys in the video driving around hunking at random people is the epitome of these horns main purpose in life: scare the heck out of people for a cheap laugh. On the car forum I used to belong to, guys were picking these kits up left and right for cheap because 9/10, the guy who had them before just got bored / tired of them. After the novelty of it wears off, you're gonna wish you spent your money on something more worthwhile. In terms of functionality, the factory horn does it's intended job quite well. If someone equates more horn with more respect, then I doubt this is the only aspect of their lives where a lack of respect is an issue.
I mostly need the horn when people try to merge into me or drift into my lane and it sounds like a moped horn which vexes me. I just want a deeper, slightly more louder horn which wont make me feel silly when I need to use it.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 AM
I love Lamp...

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
you know they say to keep the stock horn intact, and putting the air horn on a separate switch, for when you do need the authority, you still have it, but for every day driving, you still have the stock one
Oh it was on a separate switch. He would always forget to turn the switch off. His logic was to have the huge horns available should he need to use them. We ended up wiring the train horns off an ignition switch relay, that way they would only work when the ignition is on and if you forgot to turn them off, they would not 'bark' when you arm the vehicle.

I personally think if someone did the train horns, to put then in a tiny unsuspecting vehicle...like a Geo Metro.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Interesting thread. I've never paid attention to the sound of my horn.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
there are 2 horns, 1 for low tone and 1 for high tone. you cannot have 2 high tones because it wouldnt bolt on to the low tone position. well technically its possible but they would have to install it like upside down or something. if you really had 2 high tones it would sound very squeaky and it would be VERY apparent.

when i was replacing the horn on my 06 accord, i noticed that the v6 and i4 models had different part numbers for the horns, and the 06-07 and 03-05 also had diff part #. i would assume the tl is the same, you may have gotten the wrong one.

also, keep in mind that for an item like horns, it may sound different at times depending on weather temperature, surroundings(small garage vs big open lot), and also usage, a new horn may sound diff than an older one even if its the same one.
Thanks for the info i wonder if horns have "break-in" periods? either way, even if they replaced my horn with a different one, it doesn't bother me, since i dont really use my horn like that
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
If you do decide to put an excessively loud horn in your car like a train horn you're just asking to get your car keyed.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by bmccord
Oh it was on a separate switch. He would always forget to turn the switch off. His logic was to have the huge horns available should he need to use them. We ended up wiring the train horns off an ignition switch relay, that way they would only work when the ignition is on and if you forgot to turn them off, they would not 'bark' when you arm the vehicle.

I personally think if someone did the train horns, to put then in a tiny unsuspecting vehicle...like a Geo Metro.
at least it was "corrected" though

and a gio metro no get those suckers on a motorcycle (preferably a scooter...)
Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
My trainhorns are wired to a (pushbutton) momentary toggle...nothing to do with the regular horn..
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by Dino81
My trainhorns are wired to a (pushbutton) momentary toggle...nothing to do with the regular horn..
When do you/have you used them? Any stories?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to put, something like a train horn, in my car. My fathers friend has one in his truck. My father works for the railroad

I hate the "loud" ones with a high pitch to it, that people have posted here. I want one with BALLS!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:09 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by tehloxely
I would love to put, something like a train horn, in my car. My fathers friend has one in his truck. My father works for the railroad

I hate the "loud" ones with a high pitch to it, that people have posted here. I want one with BALLS!
fellow member discounts?