Best way to reverse with the big blindspots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006 | 02:18 PM
Banned

Best way to reverse with the big blindspots?

Does anyone have a good technique for reversing in the 3G TL? The blindspots, specifically the pillars at the back, makes it a challenge to reverse. I almost hit a kid on the right-hand side because I couldn't see.
Old 08-17-2006 | 02:31 PM
Advanced

I totally feel you!

"Rewinding" in the TL can be nerve-racking... I suggest switching the mirrors to the left and right (in reverse-tilting feature) and looking over both shoulders (ALWAYS) when in reverse. Whether it's avoiding a child or another automobile in a parking lot, take your time in this car!!!
Old 08-17-2006 | 02:40 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Add a rear view camera... Like I did...
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:08 PM
Airline jet aircraft tech

I installed backup sensors. I have them and they work great, but they take a little getting used too. I will get false early warning beeps when backing down a descending driveway and the pavement levels off sharply, or when the pavement is very irregular while in reverse. I would not trust them to detect a lying dog or cat. But they have saved my ass already- once when I was forced to backup in a empty lot someone in a small car had pulled up right behind me and was so close I couldn't see their hood. The sensors alerted me as soon as I was in reverse. Combine them with a backup camera and Multivex side mirrors and you should be covered.
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:16 PM
Instructor

i just do multiple shoulder checks and go slowly...
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:46 PM
Trucki!!

Join in on the multivex group-buy https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110396
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:58 PM
tuning / modding newbie.

I'm considering getting these

http://lanefx.com/

what it does is when you activate your turn signal. your mirror pans out to show your blind spot, then returns to it's original position. eliminating the need for blind spot mirrors, convex mirror overlays, and twisted necks!

there are add ons to...

increase the speed of the panning,
move BOTH mirrors down when reversing

and the "top" end system is only 299 dollars.

http://www.lanefx.com/purchase/

someone get in contact and get a group buy going...
Old 08-27-2006 | 08:21 AM
Advanced

Big blind spots?

Common people, the TL is not a cargo van. What big blind spots?

If you need help with backing out of a tight parallel parking spot, then just take a walk around the vehicle before you get in, noting how much maneuvering room you have on the front, back and sides.

If you are talking about other "normal" backing up or switching lanes while driving, then your side mirrors are probably not optimally adjusted. Many people set their mirrors so that they see the side of their vehicle while driving. That is a waste of mirror coverage. You don't need to see you vehicle in your side view mirror. Take a look at http://www.motorists.org/right/adjust_mirrors.html and http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/. The second URL contains pictures, first of incorrectly set mirrors (top pictures) then of correct setting (bottom pictures).
Old 08-27-2006 | 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kandyman

If you need help with backing out of a tight parallel parking spot, then just take a walk around the vehicle before you get in, noting how much maneuvering room you have on the front, back and sides.

If you are talking about other "normal" backing up or switching lanes while driving, then your side mirrors are probably not optimally adjusted. Many people set their mirrors so that they see the side of their vehicle while driving. That is a waste of mirror coverage. You don't need to see you vehicle in your side view mirror. Take a look at http://www.motorists.org/right/adjust_mirrors.html and http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/. The second URL contains pictures, first of incorrectly set mirrors (top pictures) then of correct setting (bottom pictures).
^^^ Good posting .. I live on a dead end single lane street where I have to back out close to 200' and have had pickups with canopys .. vans and the like and never a problem if the mirrors are "correctly " adjusted per the second URL.

Maybe I'm from the old school where they taught you to sit up correctly and adjust accordingly. What I can't fathom is how these people that have thier seat all the way back and low down so all your seeing it thier head can even see any direction never mind beside/hind them all for the sake of being "cool"
Old 08-27-2006 | 10:20 AM
04 NBP 6MT

I have good insurance.
Old 08-27-2006 | 04:44 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Originally Posted by Kandyman
NO, the TL is worse than any van or pickup I've driven. The TL has the worst blind spots of any vehicle I've driven.

The shape of the shroud is the main factor. When the mirrors are set at their out most setting the image in the mirror is of 1/3 shroud 2/3 road. So even with multivex or bubble mirrors the image is always compromised. This is a design problem, all for looks.
Old 08-27-2006 | 06:34 PM
One on the right for me

There are certain angles when its a pain in the ass to back up. It is more difficult to back up in the TL than other cars, but its still not a huge deal. If it is a problem to some, look into those backup cameras. Otherwise, a quick walk around will give you the sense of where everything is and you can drive accordingly.
Old 08-27-2006 | 10:20 PM
Cruisin'

You could add extra circular mirrors. I've seen some work but it mostly makes things more confusing.
Old 08-27-2006 | 10:47 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by triggle
NO, the TL is worse than any van or pickup I've driven. The TL has the worst blind spots of any vehicle I've driven.
I think the opposite-- that the TL has pretty decent visibility backwards compared to its contemporaries (visibility out of the TL is admittedly less than older cars without all the SRS stuff in the pillars). I tend to sit up straight and always have the rear headrests lowered. The stock mirrors seem pretty good as well, but I look over my shoulder about 99% of the time anyway when changing lanes or starting to reverse. The TL has better visibility than my Odyssey or other minivans I've driven, and is better than Volvo S-80s or RX-8s. I also thought the G35 sedan had worse visibility out, but that may have been due to the rear seat headrests being raised up too high...