Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tint Shop Chicagoland

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Best Tint Shop Chicagoland

Please tell me your opinion. Also if they install the felt tint protector. I want the lightest tint because of POLICE Please include aprox price and shops name and address if possible. Names also help. Thanks very much
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

SORRY, I forgot to ask if they do they small side window 100%. Thankyou
Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
07 TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting it done at New Wave in Kenosha next Thursday. I'm doing 35% front and 20% back. we'll see how it turns out.

I asked about the moleskin protection, he said that on 120 degree days (or if the car is 120 and mine is black) it melts and sticks to the tint or comes off completely. I asked him what he normally does and he said he would cut the rubber strips. I said NO WAY. and then he said yeah, people are afraid of the road noise. So he's leaving the strips on and is gonna show me how to clean the felt and do it often.

I know that even when i roll the windows down after a car-wash, i get very little streaking or smudging so I know that the felt is not very tight anyways.

He does do the small windows. Because I'm doing 20% on the back window he is gonna go around the third brake light also. It's gonna be right around $200 otd. That may be high to some people. It's in the middle of my quotes but I trust this shop more. The actual store has been around and doing tints for 12 years.

Hope that answers some questions. Like I said, it will be done next Thursday.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by groovyone789
I'm getting it done at New Wave in Kenosha next Thursday. I'm doing 35% front and 20% back. we'll see how it turns out.

I asked about the moleskin protection, he said that on 120 degree days (or if the car is 120 and mine is black) it melts and sticks to the tint or comes off completely. I asked him what he normally does and he said he would cut the rubber strips. I said NO WAY. and then he said yeah, people are afraid of the road noise. So he's leaving the strips on and is gonna show me how to clean the felt and do it often.

I know that even when i roll the windows down after a car-wash, i get very little streaking or smudging so I know that the felt is not very tight anyways.

He does do the small windows. Because I'm doing 20% on the back window he is gonna go around the third brake light also. It's gonna be right around $200 otd. That may be high to some people. It's in the middle of my quotes but I trust this shop more. The actual store has been around and doing tints for 12 years.

Hope that answers some questions. Like I said, it will be done next Thursday.
Thanks bro I love replys like this I had 2 cars in the past that I tinted, and after a while it gets a little scratched. I figure just re-tint then. Its not like its $1k I will take a drive there soon. I am quite close. I am TOO worried about going dark. I am NOT tinting the back window. That way if a COP pulls up behind me he can see in. Thats what pisses them off. Plus I read in the owners manual that tinting the back window can effect the NAV antenna and XM Radio reception. I will go with 35-50% on all 6 side windows. I was going to do it myself. I learned back in the mid 80's how to do a good job
Thanks again bro
Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
There is another thread with the same topic discussed right now, I'm sure you know but this is for future reference and to link up on searches:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158213
Old 05-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Safety Car

I thought that thread was about who puts in moleskin. I don't care about that, I am interested in the best quality shop, with moleskin as a bonus. It would be nice to get a good choice to choose from. Who also does the rear quarter windows 100% In Chicago area.

And thanks for pointing that out to me rockyfeller. And I didn't know until I just looked at it from your https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158213

I guess I will go to the doctor and get some Einstein pills.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I would not accept a tint job that does not tint the rear qtr window. I had mine done in Naperville, and I've had them 1.5 years with no moleskin and no scratches. This is probably my 12th car that I've tinted and never used moleskin, and never had a problem.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I would not accept a tint job that does not tint the rear qtr window. I had mine done in Naperville, and I've had them 1.5 years with no moleskin and no scratches. This is probably my 12th car that I've tinted and never used moleskin, and never had a problem.
I mean 100% of the rear 1/4 window. They have to take it out and remove the rubber boot around it to completely tint 100% of the glass.

What is the name of the Tint shop in Naperville?

I heard that when moleskin gets TOO HOT, the glue melts and the moleskin and glue comes off and goes all over the tinted window and ruins it. THIS IS NOT what I believe, its what I WAS TOLD. Quality of tint job is more important then moleskin. I had tinted windows many moons ago, and there was No Moleskin. If the tint gets a little scratched after a couple years, just re-tint. ITS CHEAP.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:14 AM
That's rubbish...

In Frankfort, IL, south of Orland Park and Mokena there is a shop called CarSmart!, their website is becarsmart.com. Their located on LaGrange Ave, but I do believe they have other locations. I'm getting my 2nd gen done there on tuesday. In about an hour im going in to pick my shades. They offer: 5% (limo), 20% standard tint on back of SUVs and minivans), 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%. If you want the lightest tint possible a 60 should suit your needs real well. It's so light that people put it on their windshields and you can barely tell the difference, and it still protects your leather from heat during the summer and prevent possible chapping. It also reflex like 99% of all UV rays. I have actually seen the work that this shop has done on a Nissan Titan (I believe that's the truck it was), and he had 40 on his fronts and 20 on his backs and it looked awesome. You can tell they do a good job cuz normally there is little specs of dust caught between the tint and the glass, but there job is nearly perfect, in most cases. Overall they do really great work. Check them out.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Thankyou Ninety9. I will go to their website and check them out.

What do you think of a person who does it on the side, and comes to your house to do it. He has been doing it for 10 years. He also drives a limo and says he buys the best professional tint. I just wonder about the dust you were talking about. A controlled professional climate I think would be best. I was told about him at Acura today. The parts guy said he did his tint and does a great job. The tint he uses won't scratch. NO moleskin needed, at least thats what he said. He said I can check his out first to see if I like it. I like the idea of him coming to me and doing it, but I kind of like going to a pro shop where the climate is controlled. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? IN your opinion. Or anybody elses. Thankyou again!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
07 TL-S

I wouldn't have them do it outside. Too much dust and pollen, especially around here. I just had mine tinted today. They look great!!! No moleskin b/c of the reasons above. They also did tint the 1/4 windows 100%. And they did it without removing the window or the rubber boot thing. I did 35's on the front and 20's on the back. I must say it looks really sweet. I'm worried it's a little dark but I'll take my chances at first. Maybe I'll get a Doctor's note later. The back window with 20's is a little dark i think. Too bad it rained the way back. I'll put up pics tomorrow or the next day. It was New Wave Auto Appearence in Kenosha. It is on 60th Street (CR-K) I think. You exit at 50 and its 5-10 minutes from there. It cost me $211 out the door.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
07 TL-S

Oh, and it didn't mess with my electronics or the nav system. Everything works great. They showed me how to clean the rubber strips to avoid scratching also.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by groovyone789
Oh, and it didn't mess with my electronics or the nav system. Everything works great. They showed me how to clean the rubber strips to avoid scratching also.
I just PM'd you. I don't get it. I went there yesterday and they said they didn't do the entire 1/4 side window. And he said they trim the rubber that touches the tint on the inside of the car. Do you think 35% is too dark. I was going to get just the 6 side windows done in 50%. But he highly suggested 35% on all the windows including the rear window. I am worried about the Nazi Cops around Waukegan and Gurnee
Old 06-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave's Glass Tinting
Dave Krause
847-609-1610
He works out of:
Express Auto Glass
918 E Ogden
Naperville
Dave's Glass Tinting <<Website link

Price for TL Tints: All side windows and the rear glass, including felt strips on all 4 side windows for $305.00 out the door. Any % value (or combination thereof) you choose.

Dave is a great guy, he spends about 4-5 hours doing the job, and he's extremely detail oriented. He's done a few cars of mine and some of friends as well. Never a bubble in the tint, cuts the tint within 1/16" from the top of the glass, and no windows he's done have ever peeled to my knowledge. Also always gets under the third brake light and he'll get the ENTIRE rear 1/4 windows. He'll do your windows for the same price, since he does not discount for me. Since he's done the felt before I'd much rather have it done by a pro who guarantees the work.

He does not use "Moleskin" because he's had the 'overheating' problem mentioned in the earlier post. But he does use what he calls a higher quality felt strip, and he installs it on BOTH of the plastic (rubbber) strips in all 4 window in additon to getting the full rear 1/4 windows.

I had an appointment to get mine done on Monday, but he had a cancellation and mine got DONE today!! They look FANTASTIC..I mean they're PERFECT. I went with 15% on the rears and 50% on the fronts. I know the 50 sounds light, but it is not that transparent. Just light enough so the cop sitting next to you can see your face.

I'll post a few pics as soon as I get the car washed. It's pretty funky looking right now because there's waterspots all over the car from the tint install.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
Dave's Glass Tinting
Dave Krause
847-609-1610
He works out of:
Express Auto Glass
918 E Ogden
Naperville
Dave's Glass Tinting <<Website link

Price for TL Tints: All side windows and the rear glass, including felt strips on all 4 side windows for $305.00 out the door. Any % value (or combination thereof) you choose.

Dave is a great guy, he spends about 4-5 hours doing the job, and he's extremely detail oriented. He's done a few cars of mine and some of friends as well. Never a bubble in the tint, cuts the tint within 1/16" from the top of the glass, and no windows he's done have ever peeled to my knowledge. Also always gets under the third brake light and he'll get the ENTIRE rear 1/4 windows. He'll do your windows for the same price, since he does not discount for me. Since he's done the felt before I'd much rather have it done by a pro who guarantees the work.

He does not use "Moleskin" because he's had the 'overheating' problem mentioned in the earlier post. But he does use what he calls a higher quality felt strip, and he installs it on BOTH of the plastic (rubbber) strips in all 4 window in additon to getting the full rear 1/4 windows.

I had an appointment to get mine done on Monday, but he had a cancellation and mine got DONE today!! They look FANTASTIC..I mean they're PERFECT. I went with 15% on the rears and 50% on the fronts. I know the 50 sounds light, but it is not that transparent. Just light enough so the cop sitting next to you can see your face.

I'll post a few pics as soon as I get the car washed. It's pretty funky looking right now because there's waterspots all over the car from the tint install.
WOW sounds like a perfectionist I wish it was closer and I had more time. I made an appointment in Kenosha @ New Wave. He told me moleskin doesn't work well when it gets very hot in the car. He said he trims the rubber inside the car to prevent scratching I don't like this idea But what else to do? I am working 12 hours sat & sun. I have mon and tues off. I don't know what to do. Dave Krause sounds so good
Old 06-02-2007, 05:14 AM
Racer

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:20 AM
Safety Car

I think I will call him today. I don't want my rubber trimmed and I read too many problems using moleskin. Plus too many problems with people who didn't use any type of felt and got scratches all over. I put my windows down all the time. I want PERFECT WORK!!! This place seams to be great. I HOPE. Its a very long drive for me, but I guess I will take 10 magazines and read while he does it. I am still not sure about 35% or 50% on all the windows. I want only 1 percentage on all the windows, I don't like 2-tone.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Pro

OK, so even though I didn't wash it, here's some shots of the new tints from Dave's...

Once again, these values are 15% on the rears and 50% on the fronts.

Overall shots....

Closeups of rear 1/4 windows...

Through the fronts (50% tint) in daylight, looking in...

Through the backs (15% tint) in daylight, looking in...

Comments/questions are welcome!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Safety Car

Looks great. I called Dave today and he doesn't have any openings mon or tue. I work wed and thur so I made an appointment at Shaded Dayz in Lake Bluff, IL. They do high end cars. He said they don't use moleskin ever, doesn't work. His tint won't scratch, its the best made. They sell a window tint polish that keeps it slippery. He said just wipe the rubber tracks now and then. Over the years he had only 1 complaint about scratching on a Mercedes. They replaced the door rubber with a softer rubber and it solved the problem. They also have rent a cars for $4 per hour for customers only. It will take 4-5 hours, so I can just go home while its getting done.

The 50% actually looks dark enough. I was told by Shaded Dayz that 35% all around it suggested. He has from 5%-70% and many diff colors. Guaranteed for life. $275.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
Looks great. I called Dave today and he doesn't have any openings mon or tue. I work wed and thur so I made an appointment at Shaded Dayz in Lake Bluff, IL. They do high end cars. He said they don't use moleskin ever, doesn't work. His tint won't scratch, its the best made. They sell a window tint polish that keeps it slippery. He said just wipe the rubber tracks now and then. Over the years he had only 1 complaint about scratching on a Mercedes. They replaced the door rubber with a softer rubber and it solved the problem. They also have rent a cars for $4 per hour for customers only. It will take 4-5 hours, so I can just go home while its getting done.

The 50% actually looks dark enough. I was told by Shaded Dayz that 35% all around it suggested. He has from 5%-70% and many diff colors. Guaranteed for life. $275.
Well there appear to be two completely different schools of thought on keeping the tints scratch-free on TL windows, even among the pros. IMO, if you deal with a reputable company, and they do the work according what they feel is 'the right way', then they'll stand behind the work they do. Sounds like the shop you found will do an excellent job and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your tints.
Please toss up a few pics when you get it back! Good luck!
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Safety Car

I hope so. I will put up pics maybe tuesday evening. Thankyou, I need to go to bed. I am going to NTB in Antioch for Ingall rear camber kit install and alignment for my Eibach Pro spring lowered 07 TL-S. I HOPE they know what they are doing!?!?
At New Wave the alignment was only 1 time. NTB gives a 1 year return for free alignmnet. Later Dudes, Good night. JD