Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best driving experience in a TL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Not a dude.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best driving experience in a TL?

Seeing this in the thread Not your common first mod started me thinking.

Originally Posted by leedogg
Blazing down the road taking the TL to its limits::: Tendrils of pleasure and shivers of enjoyment

Flipping on the strobe lights and having everybody clear out of your way::: Utter coolness

Doing all this legally and for a worthy cause::: Priceless

What's the best driving experience you've ever had in your TL?

leedog was fantasizing about the possibility of having bitchin strobe lights on his car. What's the best real driving experience you've ever had in your TL?

Here's mine: all 4 windows and sunroof open, temperature 70 degrees, sun shining, KFOG blaring, happens all the time. I love my car!

BTW let's keep this thread positive - save the butt prints, rattles and whatever for another thread.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My 2 best experiences (tied)

1st) Driving my '05 from Oregon to Idaho and back. Got 34 mpg on average. Quiet and scenic drive with XM on the entire way. Its a roadtrip car

2nd) My '97 TL when I did the Type II conversion and a few other mods. Basically boosted the HP from 200 to around 235 or so.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Driving home at 3am...nobody was on the road and i "racing" (we were really just speeding together) this IS350

Hit about 115
Old 09-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far mine is driving from home, Arlington TX, to Austin to pick up a buddy, then to San Antonio for a party weekend, and then back, did all our long term driving at about 2am, no cops almost, got stopped by one, i was literally the only one on the road, going about 120ish, he pulled me over, thanked me for stopping, got all my info, loved the car, and turns out he had one lol, let me go, i was soo freakin happy, but he said he would radio up ahead, so i stopped speeding, and sure enough, i saw about 3 more cops one the road farther ahead, and they were all riding around me for a bit then took off. but i gotta say, TL = best road trip car ever!

Me and 2 friends are going on a road trip in june, just not sure where to go, any ideas anyone? got about a week of freedom, and wanna make use of it!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Sunset Blvd. or PCH...

Originally Posted by rt4563
What's the best real driving experience you've ever had in your TL?
Here's mine: all 4 windows and sunroof open, temperature 70 degrees, sun shining...
Same as above, on Sunset Blvd. west, from Beverly Hills to Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, driving alone on an early Sunday morning in August 2005, after completing break-in miles, with the radio off, minimal traffic and no particular destination. This is the road where James Woods and Jeff Bridges were supposedly racing in "Against All Odds."
I felt sorry for the guy in the SL55 AMG who seemed annoyed when he continuously hit the traffic signals and apexes wrong while staying with me.

Most fast curvy roads or scenic roads are a good drive with the TL, even when just cruising along with radio set on XM 81 (BPM), Beyond Jazz or The System.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Great, I have been wanting to share this experience. I have never seen it mentioned on the forum before.

My 2006 TL is the first car that I have owned that had traction-control (VSA). Prior to my TL, I drove a 1992 Acura Legend coupe.

My best expereince came as a surprise. One morning on the way to work, it had been raining. The rain had stopped, but the roads were still very damp. I was at the front of the line at a red-light waiting for the green. There are cars behind me and to the side of me. The light turns green. I apply throttle like normal. So does everyone around me. All I hear is spinning wheels around me. Insticntively, I quickly realized the road was very slippery, and the sound that I was hearing were slipping tires from the cars. But, what cought me by suprise was that I took off and left everyone far behind. Few seconds later, I realize that I was the only person not spinning. This is the first time that I actually utililized the traction-control in a real-life situation.

So, one block later, the same situation. Me at the front of the line and other cars all around. But, this time, I know "the score". So, when the light turned green, I FLOORED IT WOT. My car took off like a bullet with no spinning. I look in the mirror and everyone else are just barely moving thru the intersection as I am long-gone down the road.

I seriously was laughing my ass off. This is not a figure of speech. I was literally laughing so hard I could barely see afterward. For the remainder of the morning at work, I had to hide my smile and laughter from others so as not to look weird in the office.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:53 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I loved the car when I took it to the Grand Canyon. Similiar joy when driving down to LA. Comfortable, smooth, great mileage, and XM radio.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Ingredients for an awesome drive:

Driving my TL to Savannah, GA for a neurology conference almost two years ago (10-hour drive at my speed)

Interstate 77 in the West Virginia mountains. (Curves)

A-Spec suspension and good rubber.

Wife couldn't come with me on this trip, so I was solo and driving 70-80 mph.

Enough said.

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!