Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfire!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backfire!?

Yesterday I was at a red light and an Intergra Type R came up next to me... He starts reving his engine so its apparant that it is on.. The light turned green and I was kicking his ass on the launch, when I hit around 5800 in 2nd all of sudden I hear a LOUD pop.... I don't know what it was, or what it could have been... Possibly backfire? Anyone else have something similiar happen when driving hard..? Anyway, after this happened I cut off on the gas and the teg did a ricer fly- by with their hazards on (woulda kicked his ass) ..
Old 11-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The loud pop probably was a backfire from the Type-R.

For the record, a stock auto TL wouldn't exactly kick a Type-R's ass.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
The loud pop probably was a backfire from the Type-R.

For the record, a stock auto TL wouldn't exactly kick a Type-R's ass.

I've raced several type r's, I've beaten everyone I've raced by at least a car length.. So the TL I drive CAN kick a Type R's ass... Anyway, I'm positive it was from my car... Because I felt it as well... If it happens again, I guess I'll bring it to the dealer to have them tell me they can't reproduce the problem...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Dragging knees in

I can't imagine a fully exhausted family sedan backfiring like that, but I suppose it is possible. But it is more likely that it came from the Type-R.

One car length is hardly kicking ass. I've driven, raced, and worked on 3 Type-R's on a weekly basis, which belong to some of my best friends. I know exactly how the J32A2 and A3 fare against the B18C5 and JDM B18C.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Instructor

One car length is hardly kicking ass.
Excuse my choice of words... =P
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Instructor

I can't imagine a fully exhausted family sedan backfiring like that, but I suppose it is possible. But it is more likely that it came from the Type-R.

One car length is hardly kicking ass. I've driven, raced, and worked on 3 Type-R's on a weekly basis, which belong to some of my best friends. I know exactly how the J32A2 and A3 fare against the B18C5 and JDM B18C.

Going by RedSoxGuy says.. who cares if he only one by a cars length, winning is winning. to Redsox for beating those other Type-R's
Old 11-08-2005, 07:47 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Your car did not backfire. It was the type R. A car with stock piping and a cat will not "pop". Although it can backfire, you will not hear it with stock exhaust and your cat on. I can only assume you have your cat on because I highly doubt the majority of you will not take it off for the obvious reasons and it being a 35k car.

The type R should take you if the kid knew how to launch his damn car. But racing on the streets is different than the tracks. At the tracks, I would put my money on the dc2 anyday. I have a friend with an auto TL out in Coppell and the thing doesn't pull at that much. But nevertheless, nice kill......
Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Please keep the drag racing on the tracks! There isn't much to prove when you lose your license, and they impound your car. In Texas, I think they impound your car indefinitely.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by jdm_98r
Please keep the drag racing on the tracks! There isn't much to prove when you lose your license, and they impound your car. In Texas, I think they impound your car indefinitely.
Yes, mother.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:28 PM
To punish and enslave

Yes, mother.
Ouch.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Ah come on.... Its not like I do it all the time... Gotta enjoy the car once in a while...
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not the law, its the people you might hit, if its one of those roads you can see a mile or two ahead thats a whole other thing.

Are you sure you didnt kick something up under your car?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Your car did not backfire. It was the type R. A car with stock piping and a cat will not "pop". Although it can backfire, you will not hear it with stock exhaust and your cat on.
Like he said: "I felt it as well". Their are several reasons why this could have happened; injector issue causing a lean cylinder, timing glitch, bad gas, 5800rpm - maybe something with vtec, possibly even a valve not seating properly.... You never know.

Some are more unlikely than others--strange for a new-stock vehicle? Yes, but non-the-less a possibility. Also, if only one cylinder was effected and of short activity, a code would/may not be set..

Bottom line, given the fact none of us were there, telling RSG it wasn't his car is somewhat inappropriate. (Though possible I admit)

RedSoxGuy, I would continue to monitor your vehicle under "like" accelerations to see if you can duplicate the "pop". If so, definitely inform your Dealer/Service Dept.

Good luck

Cheers
Old 11-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My TL has done this once in awhile. Not sure if it was the tranny/converter banging or a missfire in the engine. It has only done it a few times all of which I was pushing the car to redline and shifting. It also could have been hitting the fuel cut (at redline) just as the engine shifted seeing how the SS is kinda slow to shift. I haven't noticed it for awhile now though.

As a side note you are not beating an ITR with a good driver especially with an AT TL. More than likely if you had not let off on the gas he would have come by you in 3rd gear. ITR's are top end cars as are most honda's. They don't have a lot of torque just HP plus the ITR is light as shit in comparison to the TL. I will say if I were driving the ITR you wouldn't beat me at all period....end of discussion. I have driven ITR's I know what they are capable of and I had a hatch with a JDM ITR engine that would walk all over cars. You got lucky the other times I guess.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Advanced

hook up a halmeter and see if your running a little too rich under hard acceleration.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Advanced

Here is a mustang that was drag racing and slammed into an innocent bystander. This happened the day after christmas, and the only survivor was a 5 year old boy in the Lincoln.

Here's the Lincoln:

I was also at the Carson street races in Los Angeles, where a car pulled out in front of a street racer, and the street racer lost control and wrapped his Mustang around a tree, litterally. The driver (21) survived the crash and his girlfriend (20)riding passenger died on the spot. The driver was charged with involuntary manslaughter.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a mustang that was drag racing and slammed into an innocent bystander. This happened the day after christmas, and the only survivor was a 5 year old boy in the Lincoln.

Here's the Lincoln:

I was also at the Carson street races in Los Angeles, where a car pulled out in front of a street racer, and the street racer lost control and wrapped his Mustang around a tree, litterally. The driver (21) survived the crash and his girlfriend (20)riding passenger died on the spot. The driver was charged with involuntary manslaughter.
cant see the pictures...

and I think there is a HUGE difference between getting a little kick out of punching your car from a red-light... and by drag racing or street racing in the middle of the road like you are mentioning in your examples.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Here's the Lincoln:

So what are you saying? I could have killed someone? I know for a fact that 90% of the people on this board have done what I have at least once in their life so chill the fuck out.. I don't race in populated area's.. I raced on a country road which was very flat and straight, and trust me there was no traffic.. On top of this, I had my fiance in the car... I wouldn't put myself or her in danger... The road I was on was a 55 mph road, and the max I would have taken it up to would probably have been 65 mph.. You don't know me, stop assuming shit..
Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Racer

Here's the Lincoln:

Saying thanks mother would be too much of a compliment- my mother is pretty chill...

Thanks, you sound like my drivers ed teacher...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazymjb
if its one of those roads you can see a mile or two ahead thats a whole other thing.

Texas is known for being flat... Have you ever lived in the country? Most of the roads out here usually have light traffic, most are very straight and flat, and the speed limits on country roads range from 45-70 mph... I can assure you, where I am racing is probably one of the safest places you can do it.. I wouldn't dare do this in the city...
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Actually, I grew up and am moving back to San Antonio in January. It's narrow minded people like yourself that end up getting into accidents wishing they had one more chance to make it right. Why do you think "Exhibition of Speed" is illegal? Some legislatures got bored and thought it would be fun to do.

I didn't assume anything. I just said to keep the racing to the tracks, and pointed out some of the downfalls of racing on the streets. The fact that you actually race on the streets w/ your fiance just proves that you don't have any respect for the people around you and the one's you love.

You need to put your testosterone trip on check.

If you really want to see the pictures just copy and paste the properties in the address bar.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scrb09
cant see the pictures...

and I think there is a HUGE difference between getting a little kick out of punching your car from a red-light... and by drag racing or street racing in the middle of the road like you are mentioning in your examples.

If you read the first post, he was "racing" the Integra.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Actually, I grew up and am moving back to San Antonio in January. It's narrow minded people like yourself that end up getting into accidents wishing they had one more chance to make it right. Why do you think "Exhibition of Speed" is illegal? Some legislatures got bored and thought it would be fun to do.

I didn't assume anything. I just said to keep the racing to the tracks, and pointed out some of the downfalls of racing on the streets. The fact that you actually race on the streets w/ your fiance just proves that you don't have any respect for the people around you and the one's you love.

You need to put your testosterone trip on check.

If you really want to see the pictures just copy and paste the properties in the address bar.

Wow... I don't see how accelerating in a straight line to 60 mph on a back country road with zero traffic would put my fiance or anyone else in danger... I floor the car all the time, shit who the hell doesn't? Sorry, but I like to use the 270 (or whatever the hell it is now) horse that I paid for... Guess I'm part of the 90% of the narrow minded people who have actually driven their TL hard...
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced

If you planned on staying within the designated speed limits I have no qualm w/ what you did. It's just in your first post you indicated that you were racing and you only stopped because your vehicle backfired.

Well back to the point... Hook up a Halmeter or go to a dyno shop so they can hook your car up to a A/F meter so see what it is under hard acceleration. Excess gas might be passing through your exhaust and burning up in your cat or resonator causing the backfire. Another thing is bad fuel. People sometimes mistaken detonation for backfire, and vice versa.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:14 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by RedSoxGuy
Yesterday I was at a red light and an Intergra Type R came up next to me... He starts reving his engine so its apparant that it is on.. The light turned green and I was kicking his ass on the launch, when I hit around 5800 in 2nd all of sudden I hear a LOUD pop.... I don't know what it was, or what it could have been... Possibly backfire? Anyone else have something similiar happen when driving hard..? Anyway, after this happened I cut off on the gas and the teg did a ricer fly- by with their hazards on (woulda kicked his ass) ..

did u check for bullet hole?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ttliang
did u check for bullet hole?
well it is Texas.