3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Automatic Car Washes "bad" for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:53 AM
STRICKEN WITH OCD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work 12 hours a day- 6 days a week.

I'd love to spend my Saturdays in the driveway detailing my TL- but I haven't got the time.

Recently I've been taking my car through the Automatic Car Wash about 3 times a week. Sometimes it's a "Touchless" carwash (which doesn't seem to do anything) and other times I drive through a wash with spinning brushes.

I got to thinking yesterday; I wonder if this is just stripping the wax right off my car?

I wonder what the wash to wax ratio should be? Maybe a wax for every 20 washes? More?

Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
automatic car washes are very bad for your car, all the dirt on the brushes scratches your car all the time causing swirls. Here is an easy way to wash and wax your car at home in less than 30 mins:

1. Buy a foam gun ( I paid around 50 dollars for my foam gun)
2. Pour in some of your favorite car soap (I put in Z-7, makes the car look good)
3. Attach to hose and spray down car
4. Lightly agitate with MF towel or wash-mitt
5. Rinse car down
6. Take it for a drive to get rid of water

I do this to the MDX and TL whenever I have a chance to, I know the boat your in, esp. managing working nearly 80hrs. a week sometimes.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Another thing to note is that, depending on the design of the car wash, the rails that route your car through the machine may scratch your wheels.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Yes.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
One of the hardest things I have to remove from cars is the marks left in the paint from the spinning brushes ... seems to bruse ( sp ) the paint and they are a dog to remove .. also the soap is very hard on the wax/sealant.

Wash to wax ratio is dependent on the wash used and the wax used.

Cheap OTC wax and a harsh car wash = 3 washes

Good practice home hand wash and a good sealant maybe 20+
Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Those automatic cars washes suck for BLACK cars even more! I try to stay away from them and wax my car every 2-3 months
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
We have like mainly automated touchless car washes here..
I generally just use them to give a good wash-down of the car ... then I go off to a car-wash station and do the rest myself.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
take a look at your car in the sun....swirls galore
nbp ftl....seriously
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

dam straight they are bad; even the "Hand" Car washes are bad for your car. They use the same sponges from bottom to top...so its like swirling all that sand and dirt all over.
I only bring it to the car washes if my car is covered in salt; better swirls then salt. I usually wax my car everytime i wash it and i glaze it every 3 washes.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
take a look at your car in the sun....swirls galore
nbp ftl....seriously

yeah it sux BUT you can't beat the BLACK when it's waxed, shiny, and looking GOOD! the best color for showing off your car! not hating on any other color
Old 12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i live off of dirt roads so washing at home is pointless, so i go to a place where i can either wash it myself, or they have the no-touch area where nothing touches your car, just shooting water, shooting soap, and fans blowing off the excess at the end. not the best, but no swirls
Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM
STRICKEN WITH OCD

Originally Posted by blkaspec
i live off of dirt roads so washing at home is pointless, so i go to a place where i can either wash it myself, or they have the no-touch area where nothing touches your car, just shooting water, shooting soap, and fans blowing off the excess at the end. not the best, but no swirls
Your Car looks DAMN GOOD for living off dirt roads.

Thanks for the advice all. I've gotta find some time to wash the TL on my own.

Thanks again, all.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
How about the ones where you just pull in on your own (no rails), park, and the machine goes around you w/ nothing but a stream of water touching the car? Rinse, wash, wax/sealer, spot free rinse. While it doesn't beat a hand wash at home, its not as bad as what you guys are describing. I would never let any kind of brush from a car wash touch my vehicle.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
How about the ones where you just pull in on your own (no rails), park, and the machine goes around you w/ nothing but a stream of water touching the car? Rinse, wash, wax/sealer, spot free rinse. While it doesn't beat a hand wash at home, its not as bad as what you guys are describing. I would never let any kind of brush from a car wash touch my vehicle.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i juss go to the car wash at the acura dealer. ive done it 3 time already and i dont see any swirls. im pretty sure they kno that acura owners dont want swirls in there cars, so they prolly perfected there car wash system. im not lazy, its juss snowing down here.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wall e
i juss go to the car wash at the acura dealer. ive done it 3 time already and i dont see any swirls. im pretty sure they kno that acura owners dont want swirls in there cars, so they prolly perfected there car wash system. im not lazy, its juss snowing down here.
That is the funniest thing I have ever heard.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

i would rather have 5 year olds wash my car with sandpaper.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i goto to my dealer for my free lifetime carwash,sometimes if im in chicago area i goto hand carwash for $27.00 these includes underbody,car interior and exterior then dry it plus tire... i dont goto automatic carwash coz i had a bad experience on it!!!

My dealer wash my car with preasurize water first (manually) then automatic brush (just one also) then they wipe it and dry manually.

On summer time i always wash my car myself..
Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM
STRICKEN WITH OCD

I'm lost.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by o4komodo
we have like mainly automated touchless car washes here..
I generally just use them to give a good wash-down of the car ... Then i go off to a car-wash station and do the rest myself.
+1
Old 12-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Driven to Perfection

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this thread wins the english fail award.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
STRICKEN WITH OCD

Smile

Originally Posted by mattster

Ouch!

Do you really need to bestow that award on the ENTIRE Thread?

We were doing pretty well until Post #15 came along and f'ed us all up.

I still don't know what he's saying.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

He's saying that he trusts the Acura dealerships to properly wash a car without swirls or using grit-filled clothes -- they have perfected the technique.
He has more faith in the $8/hr 17year old lot attendants/wash "techs" than I do.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Harrisonk531616
dam straight they are bad; even the "Hand" Car washes are bad for your car. They use the same sponges from bottom to top...so its like swirling all that sand and dirt all over.
I only bring it to the car washes if my car is covered in salt; better swirls then salt. I usually wax my car everytime i wash it and i glaze it every 3 washes.

If you just use the rinse it will remove the salt and 95% of the grit .. then just leave it..

The glazes are great .. they fill and hide the swirls the car wash makes but eventually they won't even keep up and dull sets in.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Your car is prolly silver or white ... The dealer washes are great .. my best source of business .. correcting thier swirling.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
STRICKEN WITH OCD

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
He's saying that he trusts the Acura dealerships to properly wash a car without swirls or using grit-filled clothes -- they have perfected the technique.
He has more faith in the $8/hr 17year old lot attendants/wash "techs" than I do.

Thanks for the explanation.

I was reading his post with a hint of sarcasm- but after re-reading it- I don't think he was being sarcastic at all. I think you're right- he's got confidence in the Acura techs.

I see.

Thanks.

I'll end up taking the advice of many- and washing my own damn car.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
私を知らない

guys, do not drive your car around to dry it off, it will leave water marks as well as pick up plenty of dust and debris when on the road.

take some time and dry it off with a good microfiber towel or waffle weave, or if you have a leaf blower, use that.

any commercial car washes are not good for your paint since they use the same mitts for all the cars they wash.

take some time and spend an hour on your car wash, you will be more satisfied and everything will be much cleaner and swirl free.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM
私を知らない

also, honda/acura paints have one of the softest clear coats and will swirl, scratch and hologram with ease.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:30 PM
STRICKEN WITH OCD

Originally Posted by xtcxjigga
guys, do not drive your car around to dry it off, it will leave water marks as well as pick up plenty of dust and debris when on the road.

take some time and dry it off with a good microfiber towel or waffle weave, or if you have a leaf blower, use that.

any commercial car washes are not good for your paint since they use the same mitts for all the cars they wash.

take some time and spend an hour on your car wash, you will be more satisfied and everything will be much cleaner and swirl free.

very helpful.

leaf blower? makes sense. I'll do that.

I agree that the "drive to dry" just leaves spots, and picks up dust.

thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
私を知らない

another option would be to find a mobile detailer and setup a monthly fee to have him come by your home/work to clean your car. there should be many in Florida.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL the acura "car wash" SUCKS, when i picked my tl up they did a HORRIBLE wax job...yeah it looked good but when i put it on a lift with amazing lighting i realized how shitty it was when you really look at it...shamWOW for the win...actually any chamois will work better than microfiber towels for drying, i think.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by greco9885
shamWOW for the win...actually any chamois will work better than microfiber towels for drying, i think.

Sorry partener ... your wrong .... drastically wrong ..
Old 12-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
nobody will EVER wash my car... besides me....

i have different sponges and towels for ...wheels, and lower body panels / upper panels... i use different products all over, and i actually WASH my burshes and sponges before i wash the car (to remove any possible rock/sand thats stuck in there....

i actually "blow" dry my car most of the time. i gotta 10hp shop vac... i switch it to revesrse, and blow most of the water off... then hand dry it with a micro-fiber towel

even if i wanted to go to a car wash, i couldnt.... cars too low... so in the winter, my car is always dirty
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Racer

No automatic car wash for me. I handwash, blow it off with an ELECTRIC leaf blower (not 2 cycle) then get what's left with a soft cotton towel.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:56 PM
TL=True Love

yea my TL is white, so are u trying to tell me that there are swirls that I juss dont see? I pretty sure this acura car wash is good, I have yet to see a swirl mark. And i see all these acuras going in for a car wash, so "everyone's doing it" McGrath Acura gives free unlimited car washes if u purchase a car from them, so Im juss using the perks. Its Acura! why would they put swirls in a customers car? When it rain or snows they prolly use that same car wash to wash all there cars that are on display in the lot. i dont kno that for sure, but it seems logical.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM
TL=True Love

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
nobody will EVER wash my car... besides me....

i have different sponges and towels for ...wheels, and lower body panels / upper panels... i use different products all over, and i actually WASH my burshes and sponges before i wash the car (to remove any possible rock/sand thats stuck in there....

i actually "blow" dry my car most of the time. i gotta 10hp shop vac... i switch it to revesrse, and blow most of the water off... then hand dry it with a micro-fiber towel

even if i wanted to go to a car wash, i couldnt.... cars too low... so in the winter, my car is always dirty
i dont mean to be captain obvious, but u realli did join the right forum, Acurazine, cuz ur truly are a TL enthusiast by the way u wash ur car, all the steps ur take to wash ur car shows how much u love ur car.

see i dont wanna wash my car as well as u do cuz if ppl see me washing my car that well in my driveway, they may try to dmg my car juss cuz they see how much i take care of my car. like to spite me. a realli clean car sticks out like a sorethumb in a parking lot and that can be a good or bad thing. there are a lot of jealous ppl out there

so my point is...i dont kno, juss getting my thoughts out i guess
Old 12-18-2008, 08:11 PM
TL=True Love

Originally Posted by mattster
what? did i say a run-on/fragment sentence? My bad! I am bi-lingual so english is my second language.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont mean to be captain obvious, but u realli did join the right forum, Acurazine, cuz ur truly are a TL enthusiast by the way u wash ur car, all the steps ur take to wash ur car shows how much u love ur car.

see i dont wanna wash my car as well as u do cuz if ppl see me washing my car that well in my driveway, they may try to dmg my car juss cuz they see how much i take care of my car. like to spite me. a realli clean car sticks out like a sorethumb in a parking lot and that can be a good or bad thing. there are a lot of jealous ppl out there

so my point is...i dont kno, juss getting my thoughts out i guess
you have a point. i thought you lived in jersey until i saw your location.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UNCONQUERED
I work 12 hours a day- 6 days a week.
Holy shit what's the point of even being alive if you spend that much time working?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 PM
SSM Sport Shifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes!

I agree with csmeance. The brushes used in the carwashes
are horrible for your paint. I would say stay away from anything
that is automated. Use your own hands to clean your car.

Take pride in your ride

Quick Reply: Are Automatic Car Washes "bad" for your car?