Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn all who want LED turn signals and normal flash rate

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zootjeff
I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You can get the Acrua TL turn signal relay for about 15 dollars from some online retailers. That one is 55 bucks! There is only one relay to mod.
I was just using the site as an example... I didn't look around for the best price. All I was saying was that if there were a Honda or Acura vehicle that had factory-installed LED turn signals, then you might be able to purchase the relay for that vehicle and use it in the TL to have normal flashing LEDs. However, I don't think such a vehicle exists.

Anyway, if the relay mod you're talking about works, then it won't be necessary. What needs to happen to make this work? What part do I need to buy, where do I need to soldier? Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, some of these might help you guys

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
Old 05-28-2008, 02:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lars161
Hey, some of these might help you guys

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
Yaa, this isn't the best solution, either because you waste power with the EQ resistors, or you get a relay that doesn't fit into an Acura TL.

The Mod we're talking about is modifying your existing flasher to work with LEDs. No extra heat generating wire to put somewhere, and no relay that doesn't fit..

-Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kreg37
I was just using the site as an example... I didn't look around for the best price. All I was saying was that if there were a Honda or Acura vehicle that had factory-installed LED turn signals, then you might be able to purchase the relay for that vehicle and use it in the TL to have normal flashing LEDs. However, I don't think such a vehicle exists.

Anyway, if the relay mod you're talking about works, then it won't be necessary. What needs to happen to make this work? What part do I need to buy, where do I need to soldier? Thanks.

I'm hoping to write up a mod for the 3G garage at some point here.. But I have a 3 month old to take care of so it's not a high priority at the moment.

You replace the 20 mOhm ohm resistor with a 40 mOhm resistor. Depending on how much current you draw, the ideal resistor will be maybe 50-60 mOhm. I need to do some testing with the actual LEDs most people plan to use so I can recommend one resistor to rule the all..

Has anyone measured the current through these LEDs when 12 volts is put across them?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

I was really hoping we'd see this come to fruition. I'm surprised more members aren't interested. It seems like this thread is doomed to die.

Has anyone figured this out?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about the current going through LEDs, but autolumination and v-leds both recommend a 3 OHM resistors to "trick the system" when LEDs are installed for front and rear turn signal lamps (50 watt if that matters).
Can this info be used to derive the necessary modifications?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any progress on this? or is it dead?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheval
Any progress on this? or is it dead?

I ordered several sense resistor parts I need to do the mod from Mouser.com. Tracemission was going to send me some LEDs so I could mod and test it. The offer is still open to anyone who wants to send me some LEDs.

If you send me your Relay, and Two LEDs, I'll write up the mod and post it on the board for everyone else to see.

I was hoping to get some LEDs out of this, but now I'll do it for free to the first guy that wants it. Send me the LEDs and blinker Relay and I'll make the optimum mod for your relay, write up for the 3G Garage, and send both LEDs and relay back to you. You will never have to use stupid 3 ohm resistors again.

PM me.

-Jeff