Sponsored by:

Anyone with tints, please read!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 AM
08 TL NAVI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anyone with tints, please read!!

Hey everyone,

I just got my 08 TL w/NAVI about 3 months ago. I just got the tints done and the tinter cut away the inner dew wipe on the inside of the door. Now the car is louder with wind noise and I can hear the road. Before that the car was A LOT quieter.

My question: Is this a normal procedure on the TL's? When the guy was done I asked him about the door panel because I noticed something was different. He told me that the Honda's and Acura's scratch the tint if you leave that wipe on. I thought nothing of it until I got on the highway.

Did anyone else have this cut away on their car when they got the tints done. I'm pissed now because the car is louder :angryfire
I want to go back and make them replace it because they never asked me about cutting it away.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 AM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYINLOW
Hey everyone,

I just got my 08 TL w/NAVI about 3 months ago. I just got the tints done and the tinter cut away the inner dew wipe on the inside of the door. Now the car is louder with wind noise and I can hear the road. Before that the car was A LOT quieter.

My question: Is this a normal procedure on the TL's? When the guy was done I asked him about the door panel because I noticed something was different. He told me that the Honda's and Acura's scratch the tint if you leave that wipe on. I thought nothing of it until I got on the highway.

Did anyone else have this cut away on their car when they got the tints done. I'm pissed now because the car is louder :angryfire
I want to go back and make them replace it because they never asked me about cutting it away.

Thanks
Thats bullshit, more like his hands are too shaky from the crack and he can't cut tint right. Make him fix it and find a better tint shop.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The tinter was right, though, about the wipes scratching the tint. All four of my windows have scratched tint on them.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 AM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by princelybug
The tinter was right, though, about the wipes scratching the tint. All four of my windows have scratched tint on them.
Try a better tint, some tint does not scratch so easily. Either way, he was an idiot for cutting those off.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
they will scratch the tint if you leave em. if he cut it off, he could replace it with moleskin to help with the sound insulation
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Cruisin'

My tint guy told me the same thing, he didnt cut mine off though, he said to clean them every couple of weeks, its the dirt build up that scratches the tint.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
NO! its not the tint..... its called Moleskin.. theres a sticky about it up top
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The tinter i went to suggested against cutting them. He did say that honda/acuras tend to scratch tint and they suck for not supplying good wipes (lol, it was a real funny rant ) But he felted up both ends of the wipe.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i cut mine away but with the amount of bass n highs it makes no diff but when i first had them done..i did notice the noise...ull get used to it
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
There's an article in the Acura Service News Bulletins about this. July 2007 Page 4.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B070700.PDF

Acura is one of a few who use ONLY a hard plastic/rubber weather strip. It WILL scratch your tint UNLESS you put on Moleskin. The weather strip does NOT need to be removed or cut of folded to install moleskin.

You need a tinter that knows wht they're doing
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by FLYINLOW
Hey everyone,

Thanks

I would suggest having those idiots replace the inner weather strip. Then order mole skin from here.

Tintprotector.com
Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 02type-s
Try a better tint, some tint does not scratch so easily. Either way, he was an idiot for cutting those off.

A place I contacted about getting my tints done claims the tint they use is very scratch resistant so they do not use moleskin. They say they have done TLs before (including the owners) and none have come back in complaining about it scratching. They also said that if it does scratch, it is not covered by the warranty. Quoted me $230.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Cruisin'

Is the moleskin an easy DIY?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Guys,
Everyone outside this forum thinks they are an expert on Acura TLs. You all know the experts are all here ON this forum. You want good advice? You want to listen to a fellow owner who isn't giving you advice to make a buck off you. We have nothing to get out of it except to help a fellow Aziner. Screw anyone else who says "I've been doin this for 20+yrs. yada yada"

It has been discussed too many times. Don't remove or cut that rubber wiper! You NEED moleskin, it's not worth a chance no matter what tinter told you what. Please tell your tinters this is what you want BEFORE you get your car tinted. If he says he won't do it, move on to the next tinter because either he is lazy and dosen't care about your car or he dosen't know what he's doing. You want your car tinted once and then forget about it. You don't want irritations of any kind down the road because you listened to unsound advice. That ounce of prevention is worth it. Give me any "scratchproof" tint, I bet you I can scratch it with a key!

Get that clown to reinstall/get you new wipers, he screwed up. Our luxury car is well thought out in terms of sound insulation. The secondary function of that wiper is noise isolation.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM
aw1
Pro

Originally Posted by tkemory
Is the moleskin an easy DIY?
Yes, they come with instructions. You can either remove the door panel or take the short cut and pull the top part of the inner door out to reach the weather strip.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Advanced

this info is very helpful. The tints on my '04 need to be replaced and I'm glad I read this thread before I had it done. Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
REDBULL///AMG

theres two option cut, deal with the road nose, or moleskin n cough up the extra $$$...a lot of pople think they are being ripped off when told about the moleskin so theres no other option than to just cut it off
Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Racer

I'm going to assume you are new to this whole tint thing on the 3g TL.

The tint gets scratched, PERIOD. That's why you see lots of people attempt to use moleskin on the inside of the wiper so that the tint does not get scratched.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Guys,
Everyone outside this forum thinks they are an expert on Acura TLs. You all know the experts are all here ON this forum. You want good advice? You want to listen to a fellow owner who isn't giving you advice to make a buck off you. We have nothing to get out of it except to help a fellow Aziner. Screw anyone else who says "I've been doin this for 20+yrs. yada yada"

Here! Here! Great post!

That is exactly what my tinter said. "I do all the Acura's for xxx big local dealer and none of them ever came back for scratches."

I fell for his "experience" and did not pay the extra $40 to get moleskin on the back. The back windows scratched within 2 weeks. The front have been good (with moleskin) from day 1.

I had to go back and redo the rears.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
PeZ
Pez

I had my tints done just a couple of days ago on my 2004 TL. The tinter told me the same thing so i shopped around it turned out he was right nd the tint does scratch. If youre planning on doing your windows, shop for a tinter who doesnt bullshit you- all he needs to do is install a special felt- this stop scratchin nd you wont have to deal with roadnose. Its cheaper then moleskin also
Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM
The Darker the berry....

I've had tint on my 06 for about 3 months now. I had the moleskin put on all 4 doors, but the driver's side moleskin kept getting wet for some reason after it rained or I washed the car and then streaked water and glue all over the window. I think the driver's side gets wet because the windshield wipers direct water to the driver's side of the shield. In any case, if you take a look at the actual wiper from the door, it can't scratch the tint on its own - if dirt gets trapped against the wiper, then the tint will get scratched. I removed the moleskin from the wiper, cleaned it really well and I clean it with compressed air every few weeks and I haven't gotten any scratches yet. The other windows still have the moleskin and they get the occassional spot of glue, but nothing serious and no scratches. My opinion - I think the moleskin is unnecessary AS LONG AS you diligently keep the wipers clean - just spray some air down there every now and again. Also, my tinter used a highly scratch-resistant tint (or so he said).
Old 11-08-2007, 06:34 PM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by SuperStar
I'm going to assume you are new to this whole tint thing on the 3g TL.

The tint gets scratched, PERIOD. That's why you see lots of people attempt to use moleskin on the inside of the wiper so that the tint does not get scratched.
I'm going to assume you haven't heard of some specific tints that do not scratch like most others..
Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Racer

I'm going to assume you haven't heard of some specific tints that do not scratch like most others..
How about you link me to a tint company that will warranty their tint so that when my windows scratch them, they'll replace them for free.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 01 Accord never had a scratch problem, so far the TL has been fine.. have not changed any of the "wipes"
Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Instructor

i had the same exact issue. the tint shop cut off the rubber to put on tint even tho i specifically said not to do so. result = road noise + window motor noise. took it back to the tint shop and had them replaced it, but it was never the same.

first thing i suggest, go back to the tint shop and ask to be replaced, if noise still persists you just have to bring the car to the dealer, i dont know any other options.

and to those who say, "dont listen to the shop they just want make money" with the "why u so stupid" tone, not all buyers know about this site and who the hell in the world would think a simple tint can mess up ur car like that. u go into the tint shop and u see porsche's bmw's getting done there as well, why cant the TL? since when did acura become one of those premium brands that must have the work done at an exclusive shops. ur just lucky enough not running into this issue, if u havent, then dont post ur ignorant comment that is not constructive whatsoever.